Help with old hardware: Apple PC 5.25 Drive

   I got Apple PC 5.25 with card awhile back.  I plugged them in and
the OS didn't see it.  Do I need some kind of software to see to if
they work?  If so, what do I need.. Going though Apple's old download
section turns up nothing.

   I am thinking about selling these items, but I want to make sure it
works.

   Thanks for any help.

   -Lockar

0
lockar1 (132)

In article <191220030623282255%lockar@nospam.com>,
 Lockar <lockar@nospam.com> wrote:

>    I got Apple PC 5.25 with card awhile back.  I plugged them in and
> the OS didn't see it.  Do I need some kind of software to see to if
> they work?  If so, what do I need.. Going though Apple's old download
> section turns up nothing.
>
>    I am thinking about selling these items, but I want to make sure it
> works.

This is going off _old_ memory, but ISTR that drive was primarily for
emulation boards and, likely, the late-80's file exchange software which
may have actually been named something sane like "File Exchange."

I know the OrangePC 8086 card I had in my SE would see that drive
without any extra effort on my part.

In <gwestonREMOVE-7B42D9.08463119122003@netnews.attbi.com> Gregory
Weston  wrote:
> In article <191220030623282255%lockar@nospam.com>,
>  Lockar <lockar@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> I got Apple PC 5.25 with card awhile back.  I plugged them in and
>> the OS didn't see it.  Do I need some kind of software to see to if
>> they work?  If so, what do I need.. Going though Apple's old download
>> section turns up nothing.
>>
>> I am thinking about selling these items, but I want to make sure
>> it works.
>
> This is going off _old_ memory, but ISTR that drive was primarily for
> emulation boards and, likely, the late-80's file exchange software
> which  may have actually been named something sane like "File Exchange.
> "
>
> I know the OrangePC 8086 card I had in my SE would see that drive
> without any extra effort on my part.

Your memory appears to be fine. It looks like the Apple PC 5.25 is
supported by the older Apple File Exchange but not by its replacement,
Macintosh PC Exchange.

from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=12340

 Macintosh PC Exchange doesn't work with the "old" Apple 5.25-inch drive
 (customers will continue to have to use Apple File Exchange)

PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
0
roger65 (68)
12/20/2003 12:19:16 AM

    Okay, so how does Apple File Exchange use this drive?  I opened
File Exchange and it doesn't go to the drive.  Does that mean that the
drive is dead? Or is there a driver/Init that I need to install?

   Thanks for any help.

   -Lockar