How can I convert .txt to .pdf or .pdf to .pdf, controlling fonts?

I am trying to put some Quicken reports onto my iPhone, and I find the
default .pdf print font is not clear enough.  I'd like to try the Arial
font (which I find to be the clearest of all fonts), but this involves
either

1- converting the Quicken report .txt file to a .pdf, somehow, with
control of the font, or

2- converting the Quicken report .pdf file from the default font to an
Arial font .pdf

and then moving the resulting .pdf to my iPhone.

So far, I have failed.  Does anyone know how to do this, either on a
mac or on a pc?

0
Gary
11/12/2010 2:30:22 PM
comp.sys.mac.system 33446 articles. 2 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9469) is leader. Post Follow

In article <4cdd4f7e$0$18655$c3e8da3$38634283@news.astraweb.com>,
 Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:

> I am trying to put some Quicken reports onto my iPhone, and I find
> the default .pdf print font is not clear enough.  I'd like to try the
> Arial font (which I find to be the clearest of all fonts), but this
> involves either
>
> 1- converting the Quicken report .txt file to a .pdf, somehow, with
> control of the font, or
>
> 2- converting the Quicken report .pdf file from the default font to
> an Arial font .pdf
>
> and then moving the resulting .pdf to my iPhone.
>
> So far, I have failed.  Does anyone know how to do this, either on a
> mac or on a pc?

Open the file in Quicken.  Use the Arial font in the size of your
choice.  Select "Print" and then click on the "PDF" button on the print
dialog box.  Select "Save as PDF" and put the file where you want it.

Sync it to your iPhone.  Should be fine.

Good luck.

--
Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe.
0
On Nov 12, 7:27=A0am, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> In article <4cdd4f7e$0$18655$c3e8da3$38634...@news.astraweb.com>,
>

> =A0Gary <gary...@hotline.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to put some Quicken reports onto my iPhone, and I find
> > the default .pdf print font is not clear enough. =A0I'd like to try the
> > Arial font (which I find to be the clearest of all fonts), but this
> > involves either
>
> > 1- converting the Quicken report .txt file to a .pdf, somehow, with
> > control of the font, or
>
> > 2- converting the Quicken report .pdf file from the default font to
> > an Arial font .pdf
>
> > and then moving the resulting .pdf to my iPhone.
>
> > So far, I have failed. =A0Does anyone know how to do this, either on a
> > mac or on a pc?
>
> Open the file in Quicken. =A0Use the Arial font in the size of your
> choice. =A0Select "Print" and then click on the "PDF" button on the print
> dialog box. =A0Select "Save as PDF" and put the file where you want it.
>
> Sync it to your iPhone. =A0Should be fine.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe.- Hide quoted text =
-

Actually; it doesn't have to be any specific application,
i'm pretty sure that it will work with any application that has a
print feature,
you just try to print it, then switch to saving it as a pdf.
0
The
11/12/2010 9:05:05 PM
In article <4cdd4f7e$0$18655$c3e8da3$38634283@news.astraweb.com>,
 Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:

> I am trying to put some Quicken reports onto my iPhone, and I find the
> default .pdf print font is not clear enough.  I'd like to try the Arial
> font (which I find to be the clearest of all fonts), but this involves
> either
>
> 1- converting the Quicken report .txt file to a .pdf, somehow, with
> control of the font, or

Open the .txt file in a word processor.  Set the font, size, margins etc however
you like.  Print to PDF.
0
Wayne
11/12/2010 10:49:19 PM
Wayne C. Morris wrote:

> Open the .txt file in a word processor.  Set the font, size, margins etc however
> you like.  Print to PDF.

Do not use TextEdit to do this. It does weird scaling stuff to fit your
text on paper based on a preference setting of the window size.

If you wish to automate stuff, there is the "enscript" utility at the
line command.

man enscript gives you the details of the options.
0
JF
11/12/2010 10:57:21 PM
In article <4cddc653$0$14073$c3e8da3$b61369b1@news.astraweb.com>,
 JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Wayne C. Morris wrote:
>
> > Open the .txt file in a word processor.  Set the font, size, margins etc
> > however
> > you like.  Print to PDF.
>

> Do not use TextEdit to do this. It does weird scaling stuff to fit your
> text on paper based on a preference setting of the window size.
>

> If you wish to automate stuff, there is the "enscript" utility at the
> line command.
>
> man enscript gives you the details of the options.

Thanks. I never knew about that before. But sadly, PDF does not appear
among the options (or, I couldn't find it...).

Isaac
0
isw
11/13/2010 7:58:32 AM
isw wrote:

> Thanks. I never knew about that before. But sadly, PDF does not appear
> among the options (or, I couldn't find it...).

I realise that afterwards. Sorry.

"enscript" converts from text to postscript,

and then you can use "pstopdf" to convert ps to PDF.

There are direct text to pdf converters around. But the above solution
comes pre-installed on OS-X.
0
JF
11/13/2010 4:03:38 PM
On 2010-11-12 10:27:19 -0500, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> said:

> In article <4cdd4f7e$0$18655$c3e8da3$38634283@news.astraweb.com>,
>  Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to put some Quicken reports onto my iPhone, and I find
>> the default .pdf print font is not clear enough.  I'd like to try the
>> Arial font (which I find to be the clearest of all fonts), but this
>> involves either
>>
>> 1- converting the Quicken report .txt file to a .pdf, somehow, with
>> control of the font, or
>>
>> 2- converting the Quicken report .pdf file from the default font to
>> an Arial font .pdf
>>
>> and then moving the resulting .pdf to my iPhone.
>>
>> So far, I have failed.  Does anyone know how to do this, either on a
>> mac or on a pc?
>
> Open the file in Quicken.  Use the Arial font in the size of your
> choice.  Select "Print" and then click on the "PDF" button on the print
> dialog box.  Select "Save as PDF" and put the file where you want it.
>
> Sync it to your iPhone.  Should be fine.
>
> Good luck.

An excellent suggestion, BUT...   Since the reports are from Quicken
they contain columns of numbers.  If I use a variable-pitch font such
as Ariel (my personal favorite), the columns wind up looking wiggly
like a snake.

0
Gary
11/13/2010 10:08:07 PM
In article <4cdf0c47$0$2341$c3e8da3$9deca2c3@news.astraweb.com>,
 Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:

> On 2010-11-12 10:27:19 -0500, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
> said:
>
> > In article <4cdd4f7e$0$18655$c3e8da3$38634283@news.astraweb.com>,
> >  Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I am trying to put some Quicken reports onto my iPhone, and I find
> >> the default .pdf print font is not clear enough.  I'd like to try
> >> the Arial font (which I find to be the clearest of all fonts), but
> >> this involves either
> >>
> >> 1- converting the Quicken report .txt file to a .pdf, somehow,
> >> with control of the font, or
> >>
> >> 2- converting the Quicken report .pdf file from the default font
> >> to an Arial font .pdf
> >>
> >> and then moving the resulting .pdf to my iPhone.
> >>
> >> So far, I have failed.  Does anyone know how to do this, either on
> >> a mac or on a pc?
> >
> > Open the file in Quicken.  Use the Arial font in the size of your
> > choice.  Select "Print" and then click on the "PDF" button on the
> > print dialog box.  Select "Save as PDF" and put the file where you
> > want it.
> >
> > Sync it to your iPhone.  Should be fine.
> >
> > Good luck.
>
> An excellent suggestion, BUT...   Since the reports are from Quicken
> they contain columns of numbers.  If I use a variable-pitch font such
> as Ariel (my personal favorite), the columns wind up looking wiggly
> like a snake.

So use a fixed width font.  I would recommend Andale Mono or Monaco.

--
Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe.
0
Tim
11/14/2010 4:47:40 AM
On 2010-11-13 23:47:40 -0500, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> said:

> In article <4cdf0c47$0$2341$c3e8da3$9deca2c3@news.astraweb.com>,
>  Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-11-12 10:27:19 -0500, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
>> said:

>>> Open the file in Quicken.  Use the Arial font in the size of your
>>> choice.  Select "Print" and then click on the "PDF" button on the
>>> print dialog box.  Select "Save as PDF" and put the file where you
>>> want it.
>>>
>>> Sync it to your iPhone.  Should be fine.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>
>> An excellent suggestion, BUT...   Since the reports are from Quicken
>> they contain columns of numbers.  If I use a variable-pitch font such
>> as Ariel (my personal favorite), the columns wind up looking wiggly
>> like a snake.
>
> So use a fixed width font.  I would recommend Andale Mono or Monaco.

Also an excellent suggestion.  Actually I'm testing out 5 fonts: Andale
Mono, Monaco, Lucinda Console, Letter Gothic, and Menlo.  They seem
pretty close but some have advantages.  I'll let you know which one I
choose.

0
Gary
11/14/2010 7:11:03 PM
In article <4ce03444$0$17391$c3e8da3$b280bf18@news.astraweb.com>,
 Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:

> Also an excellent suggestion.  Actually I'm testing out 5 fonts: Andale
> Mono, Monaco, Lucinda Console, Letter Gothic, and Menlo.  They seem
> pretty close but some have advantages.  I'll let you know which one I
> choose.

Look at Inconsolata too. I use it for my teminal font.

http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html
--
If you could teach a cat to dance,
you'd never have to leave the house.
On 2010-11-14 14:16:20 -0500, Warren Oates <warren.oates@gmail.com> said:

> In article <4ce03444$0$17391$c3e8da3$b280bf18@news.astraweb.com>,
>  Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:
>
>> Also an excellent suggestion.  Actually I'm testing out 5 fonts: Andale
>> Mono, Monaco, Lucinda Console, Letter Gothic, and Menlo.  They seem
>> pretty close but some have advantages.  I'll let you know which one I
>> choose.
>
> Look at Inconsolata too. I use it for my teminal font.
>
> http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html

Warren:

I looks like a terrific font.  The letters are quite large compared to
the space above and below and between the letters, which I think
improves the clarity.

How do I make it available to Microsoft Windows:mac?

0
Gary
11/15/2010 1:27:49 AM
In message <timmcn-209493.22474013112010@news-2.mpls.iphouse.net>
  Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> In article <4cdf0c47$0$2341$c3e8da3$9deca2c3@news.astraweb.com>,
>  Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:

>> On 2010-11-12 10:27:19 -0500, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
>> said:

>> > Open the file in Quicken.  Use the Arial font in the size of your
>> > choice.  Select "Print" and then click on the "PDF" button on the
>> > print dialog box.  Select "Save as PDF" and put the file where you
>> > want it.
>> >
>> > Sync it to your iPhone.  Should be fine.
>> >
>> > Good luck.
>>
>> An excellent suggestion, BUT...   Since the reports are from Quicken
>> they contain columns of numbers.  If I use a variable-pitch font such
>> as Ariel (my personal favorite), the columns wind up looking wiggly
>> like a snake.

> So use a fixed width font.  I would recommend Andale Mono or Monaco.

I would recommend Menlo or Inconsolata. Both of these are better looking
that either Andale Mono or Monaco.

Menlo is part of OS X (new in 10.5 or 10.6). Inconsolata is here:

<http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html>

--
'Is it heroic to die like this?' said Conina.  'I think it is,' he said,
'and when it comes to dying, there's only one opinion that matters.'
On 2010-11-15 12:16:14 -0500, Lewis said:

> In message <timmcn-209493.22474013112010@news-2.mpls.iphouse.net>
>   Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
>> In article <4cdf0c47$0$2341$c3e8da3$9deca2c3@news.astraweb.com>,
>> Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:

>>> An excellent suggestion, BUT...   Since the reports are from Quicken
>>> they contain columns of numbers.  If I use a variable-pitch font such
>>> as Ariel (my personal favorite), the columns wind up looking wiggly
>>> like a snake.
>
>> So use a fixed width font.  I would recommend Andale Mono or Monaco.
>
> I would recommend Menlo or Inconsolata. Both of these are better looking
> that either Andale Mono or Monaco.
>
> Menlo is part of OS X (new in 10.5 or 10.6). Inconsolata is here:
>
> <http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html>

I'm sorry to say I don't know what of Inconsolata to download and how
to get It known to Word for Mac.  I have Menlo and certainly like it.

0
Gary
11/16/2010 1:25:29 AM
In article <4ce1dd8b$0$18562$c3e8da3$38634283@news.astraweb.com>,
 Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:

> On 2010-11-15 12:16:14 -0500, Lewis said:
>
> > In message <timmcn-209493.22474013112010@news-2.mpls.iphouse.net>
> >   Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

> >> So use a fixed width font.  I would recommend Andale Mono or Monaco.
> >
> > I would recommend Menlo or Inconsolata. Both of these are better looking
> > that either Andale Mono or Monaco.
> >
> > Menlo is part of OS X (new in 10.5 or 10.6). Inconsolata is here:
> >
> > <http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html>
>
> I'm sorry to say I don't know what of Inconsolata to download and how
> to get It known to Word for Mac.  I have Menlo and certainly like it.

Menlo has italic and bold.  Inconsolata is just a single plain weight
face according to the web site above.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Michael
11/16/2010 5:11:08 AM
In message <4ce1dd8b$0$18562$c3e8da3$38634283@news.astraweb.com>
  Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:
> On 2010-11-15 12:16:14 -0500, Lewis said:

>> In message <timmcn-209493.22474013112010@news-2.mpls.iphouse.net>
>>   Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

>>> So use a fixed width font.  I would recommend Andale Mono or Monaco.
>>
>> I would recommend Menlo or Inconsolata. Both of these are better looking
>> that either Andale Mono or Monaco.
>>
>> Menlo is part of OS X (new in 10.5 or 10.6). Inconsolata is here:
>>
>> <http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html>

> I'm sorry to say I don't know what of Inconsolata to download and how
> to get It known to Word for Mac.  I have Menlo and certainly like it.

You download it, you double click it, voila!

(I use the version, linked on that page, with the straight quotes, but
mostly I use Menlo)

--
"One of the great tragedies of life is the murder of a beautiful theory
by a gang of brutal facts." - Benjamin Franklin
On 2010-11-17 02:35:08 -0500, Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> said:

> In message <4ce1dd8b$0$18562$c3e8da3$38634283@news.astraweb.com>
>   Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-11-15 12:16:14 -0500, Lewis said:

>>> I would recommend Menlo or Inconsolata. Both of these are better looking
>>> that either Andale Mono or Monaco.
>>>
>>> Menlo is part of OS X (new in 10.5 or 10.6). Inconsolata is here:
>>>
>>> <http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html>
>
>> I'm sorry to say I don't know what of Inconsolata to download and how
>> to get It known to Word for Mac.  I have Menlo and certainly like it.
>
> You download it, you double click it, voila!
>
> (I use the version, linked on that page, with the straight quotes, but
> mostly I use Menlo)

Thanks for the simple directions.

I agree, Menlo is really beautiful for fixed-pitch applications!

0
Gary
11/17/2010 1:13:07 PM
In message <4ce3d4e0$0$17478$c3e8da3$b280bf18@news.astraweb.com>
  Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:
> On 2010-11-17 02:35:08 -0500, Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> said:

>> In message <4ce1dd8b$0$18562$c3e8da3$38634283@news.astraweb.com>
>>   Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry to say I don't know what of Inconsolata to download and how
>>> to get It known to Word for Mac.  I have Menlo and certainly like it.
>>
>> You download it, you double click it, voila!
>>
>> (I use the version, linked on that page, with the straight quotes, but
>> mostly I use Menlo)

> Thanks for the simple directions.

> I agree, Menlo is really beautiful for fixed-pitch applications!

My only problem with menlo is that it is a little heavy when you get cli
apps that use bright colors in the terminal for things like bold (they
don't use the bold variant of the font) so, for example, it doesn't
look that great in slrn for some of the quote levels.

Also, I don't know how to set the font in MacVim (it's not in the
preferences. I haven't looked beyond that. Probably in some .gvimrc
file)

--
I'd like to move us right along to a Peter Gibbons. Now we had a chance to meet
this young man, and boy that's just a straight shooter with upper management