how can I set file associations permanently in OS X?

As an ex-windows user this is one thing that still drives me crazy.

I want all image files to open in Photostickies when double-clicked.
I've set options countless times to "always open with" or "use this
application to open all documents like this" but when I've edited a
file it still wants to open in the application I used.

So I double-click something.jpg and wait for Photoshop or whatever to
do its thing so I can close it and set the app to Photostickies again.

Can I set something somewhere so all image files always open in the
app I've chosen?

Nina Taborin wrote:

> Can I set something somewhere so all image files always open in the
> app I've chosen?

Try DefaultApp
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/
0
nyar1ath0tep (814)
8/12/2004 8:21:42 PM
nina_taborin@yahoo.ca (Nina Taborin) wrote in

> As an ex-windows user this is one thing that still drives me crazy.
>
> I want all image files to open in Photostickies when double-clicked.
> I've set options countless times to "always open with" or "use this
> application to open all documents like this" but when I've edited a
> file it still wants to open in the application I used.

from finder isn't it
select file <apple> I (for information) and then
open with select app and click always open ...

0
Ryoko
8/12/2004 9:30:44 PM
In article <Xns9543E53CE2B81ryokosan@195.129.110.67>,
 Ryoko <ryoko@-no-spam-.talk21.com> wrote:
> from finder isn't it
> select file <apple> I (for information) and then
> open with select app and click always open ...

Yes, but my selection doesn't always stick.

Before I got a Mac I'd sometimes get files sent by a Mac user without
any file extension. It was explained to me then that Macs "remember"
what app created which file and would open a file with the app that
created or edited it.

In article <411BD156.6FEAD57A@mac.com>,
 George Williams <nyar1ath0tep@mac.com> wrote:
> Try DefaultApp
> http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

That link didn't work but I did find it at http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14618
I'll give it a try. Thanks.
In article <bc98a1c0.0408121144.6fc65b9@posting.google.com>,
 nina_taborin@yahoo.ca (Nina Taborin) wrote:

> I want all image files to open in Photostickies when double-clicked.
> I've set options countless times to "always open with" or "use this
> application to open all documents like this" but when I've edited a
> file it still wants to open in the application I used.

Some apps will set their creator type to files they save (or even just
upon opening them). If the app is half-way decent this will be an option
that you can switch on/off.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>

Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!"
PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!"
0
user3 (1546)
8/13/2004 5:43:17 PM
In article <nina_taborin-C1A088.09570013082004@news.telus.net>,
 Nina Taborin <nina_taborin@yahoo.ca> wrote:

:> In article <Xns9543E53CE2B81ryokosan@195.129.110.67>,
:>  Ryoko <ryoko@-no-spam-.talk21.com> wrote:
:> > from finder isn't it
:> > select file <apple> I (for information) and then
:> > open with select app and click always open ...
:>
:> Yes, but my selection doesn't always stick.
:>
:> Before I got a Mac I'd sometimes get files sent by a Mac user without
:> any file extension. It was explained to me then that Macs "remember"
:> what app created which file and would open a file with the app that
:> created or edited it.
:>
:> In article <411BD156.6FEAD57A@mac.com>,
:>  George Williams <nyar1ath0tep@mac.com> wrote:
:> > Try DefaultApp
:> > http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/
:>
:> That link didn't work but I did find it at
:> http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14618
:> I'll give it a try. Thanks.

There's no such thing as "permanent".  :-)

You need to keep in mind that not all files in the Mac universe even
have extensions.  But assuming you've done as you describe for *.jpg
files, for example, that's only as "permanent" as the next thing that
comes along and changes a particular file to be opened by something
else.  I've got GraphicConverter, for instance, and it has a setting to
change files you edit to show it as their owner.  If I had that setting
on (I don't), that would make any file I edited revert to using GC
instead of whatever I might've set previously.  And, of course, there's
the issue of downloaded files.  When you download a file and some server
or browser or the pair collude to screw up the settings, then all bets
are off.  I'm annoyed constantly by downloading a PDF file only to have
it set to open with TextEdit of all things!!

= Steve =
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama
> But assuming you've done as you describe for *.jpg
> files, for example, that's only as "permanent" as the next thing that
> comes along and changes a particular file to be opened by something
> else.

If this is true - and why would you lie? - then it is, for me, the
most annoying feature of the Mac OS.

> some apps will set their creator type to files they save (or even just
> upon opening them). If the app is half-way decent this will be an option
> that you can switch on/off.

I haven't been able to find this option in either Photoshop, or PS
Elements.

What makes things even worse is that even if I right-click the image
file I want to view so I can select the app, Photostickies isn't even
listed and I have to go to "other" and etc etc. How does OS X decide
what to list as an option and can I somehow add Photostickies to it?
In article <bc98a1c0.0408141824.56fcf03@posting.google.com>,
 nina_taborin@yahoo.ca (Nina Taborin) wrote:

> > But assuming you've done as you describe for *.jpg
> > files, for example, that's only as "permanent" as the next thing that
> > comes along and changes a particular file to be opened by something
> > else.
>
> If this is true - and why would you lie? - then it is, for me, the
> most annoying feature of the Mac OS.

In Mac OS X, there are two things that determine which application opens
a document when you double-click on it in the Finder. One is the file
extension, like .jpg. The other is the file creator. If you create a
file in Photoshop it will always open in Photoshop until you change the
creator of the actual file to another application. You cannot say that
all .jpg files created in Photoshop should open in another application.
That's not the way Mac OS X works.

The whole concept of opening a document based on its file extension is
quite new. Previously the extension was ignored. The hidden file type
and creator was required. This provides more information than what
Microsoft Windows uses. The idea is that an application of a certain
file type should open in the file that created it and not the generic
application for that file type. You can have many files of type TEXT
(actual file type) but if you created one in a specific application then
it should open again in the same application. In the Windows world it
would probably open in Notepad instead of the application that created
it.
0
matty_d (109)
8/15/2004 1:28:47 PM
Matthew Smith wrote:
> In article <bc98a1c0.0408141824.56fcf03@posting.google.com>,
>  nina_taborin@yahoo.ca (Nina Taborin) wrote:
>

>>>But assuming you've done as you describe for *.jpg
>>>files, for example, that's only as "permanent" as the next thing that
>>>comes along and changes a particular file to be opened by something
>>>else.
>>
>>If this is true - and why would you lie? - then it is, for me, the
>>most annoying feature of the Mac OS.
>

> In Mac OS X, there are two things that determine which application opens
> a document when you double-click on it in the Finder. One is the file
> extension, like .jpg. The other is the file creator. If you create a
> file in Photoshop it will always open in Photoshop until you change the
> creator of the actual file to another application. You cannot say that
> all .jpg files created in Photoshop should open in another application.
> That's not the way Mac OS X works.
>
> The whole concept of opening a document based on its file extension is
> quite new. Previously the extension was ignored. The hidden file type
> and creator was required. This provides more information than what
> Microsoft Windows uses. The idea is that an application of a certain
> file type should open in the file that created it and not the generic
> application for that file type. You can have many files of type TEXT
> (actual file type) but if you created one in a specific application then
> it should open again in the same application. In the Windows world it
> would probably open in Notepad instead of the application that created
> it.

That is certainly how it used to work. However, I have recently observed
that the creator/file type information doesn't always work. I had a file
with no extension, but made sure (using File Buddy) that it had
appropriate creator and file type information. It wouldn't open with a
double click. The creator program wouldn't even open it from the Open
command. It complained that the file was not an appropriate type. Then I
set the extension and it worked just fine. [Unfortunately, I can't
remember for sure which application was involved, but it was a major one.]

There is a lot to like in OS X, but the loss of effective creator/file
type functionality is a big negative IMHO.

0
EdAnson (247)
8/15/2004 3:32:01 PM
In article <XKqdnbxqY7NvHILcRVn-jg@comcast.com>,
 Ed Anson <EdAnson@comcast.net> wrote:

> There is a lot to like in OS X, but the loss of effective creator/file
> type functionality is a big negative IMHO.

There's no such loss. What there is, which might easily be confused with
said loss, is a new herd of programs that don't properly identify files.

--
Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a bathroom,
they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect his
 "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjackson@charter.net> wrote:

[...]

> And, of course, there's
> the issue of downloaded files.  When you download a file and some server
> or browser or the pair collude to screw up the settings, then all bets
> are off.  I'm annoyed constantly by downloading a PDF file only to have
> it set to open with TextEdit of all things!!

That's what IC [InternetConfig] is for. Still sucks rocks Apple doesn't
provide an interface to it anymore. But through a combination of
RCDefaultApp and MisFox you can configure all(?) aspects.

An appropriately configured server would send the proper MIME type along
with the file. Using MisFox you can configure your system to have
specific MIME types result in specific creator types being set for the
file.

<understatement>Of course not every server is configured properly...</>
and probably not every user-agent respects IC settings. But that's got
nothing to do with Macs.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>

Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!"
PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!"
0
user3 (1546)
8/15/2004 6:01:33 PM
In article <bc98a1c0.0408141824.56fcf03@posting.google.com>,
 nina_taborin@yahoo.ca (Nina Taborin) wrote:

> > But assuming you've done as you describe for *.jpg
> > files, for example, that's only as "permanent" as the next thing that
> > comes along and changes a particular file to be opened by something
> > else.
>
> If this is true - and why would you lie? - then it is, for me, the
> most annoying feature of the Mac OS.

If some app changes the creator type of a file it opens or saves, that's
to do with the app. Nothing to do with the OS.

> > some apps will set their creator type to files they save (or even just
> > upon opening them). If the app is half-way decent this will be an option
> > that you can switch on/off.
>
> I haven't been able to find this option in either Photoshop, or PS
> Elements.

Photosop's file handling prefs include some settings that might play a
role. Wouldn't hurt to experiment to see if it does. (I don't know about
Elements.)

> What makes things even worse is that even if I right-click the image
> file I want to view so I can select the app, Photostickies isn't even
> listed and I have to go to "other" and etc etc. How does OS X decide
> what to list as an option

Probably by looking at the file's file & creator types and crosschecking
that with LaunchServices (which is a sort of database listing which app
claims to be capable of handling which file types).

I don't know Photostickies. Possibly it doesn't inform LaunchServices
correctly of what sort of files it can open (easily verifyable: if
Photostickies _can_ open the same file when you use its "Open" command,
then it seems likely to me it doesn't inform LaunchServices correctly).

>  and can I somehow add Photostickies to it?

You might want to give "Zingg!" a try. It's a free third-party
contextual menu plug-in that gives you another "Open with..." item that
is user configurable. You can have it show some apps always (no matter
the selected file's file type & name extension) or never.

I never use Mac OS' "Open with" contextual menu. In fact, I hardly ever
doubleclick files to open them. I open just about everything Zingg!.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>

Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!"
PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!"
0
user3 (1546)
8/15/2004 6:14:58 PM
Gregory Weston wrote:
> In article <XKqdnbxqY7NvHILcRVn-jg@comcast.com>,
>  Ed Anson <EdAnson@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>There is a lot to like in OS X, but the loss of effective creator/file
>>type functionality is a big negative IMHO.
>

> There's no such loss. What there is, which might easily be confused with
> said loss, is a new herd of programs that don't properly identify files.

That's most likely true. But the effect is the same. :-(

0
EdAnson (247)
8/15/2004 10:59:46 PM
[...]

I honestly don't understand why you would find this to be such an
annoying feature.  While the OS X metadata system is *very* complex, I
find the extension-only approach of Windows to be *very* limiting.  OS X
allows me to have a fairly free hand in deciding which files open with
which apps.  The ability to change the app that handles any individual
file after I've previously set all of its type seems like a useful
feature.  At least, to me.

I'm not familiar with any Photoshop stuff -- I'm not the least bit
graphically inclined, actually.  But I have GraphicConverter, and I know
that its preferences allow me to have it set the file type/creator code
to its own upon opening.  I've turned it off so that it only happens
when I create new image files from scanning, Save As, etc.  About all I
ever do is scan items or scale/resize photos I get from elsewhere so
that I can include them in my genealogy data.

As for how Apple chooses the "recommended apps" for inclusion on the
main list...I couldn't even begin to guess.

= Steve =
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama