Installing 9.2.2

I recently inherited an iMac from my father. I like the machine for the
most part. However, I would like to run one or two of my old apps
(Seahaven Towers!). Can I pull over my system file from my old 9.2.2
machine and have it work correctly, or would this just be too easy?

Thanks for any help.

D. Scruggs

0
bcfd36 (7)

<bcfd36@aol.com> wrote:

> I recently inherited an iMac from my father. I like the machine for the
> most part. However, I would like to run one or two of my old apps
> (Seahaven Towers!). Can I pull over my system file from my old 9.2.2
> machine and have it work correctly, or would this just be too easy?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> D. Scruggs

If you mean "System Folder", yes, probably.
Note: The System _file_ alone won't do anything, you need the entire
9.2.2 System Folder.

What it will do is allow the iMac to run the apps in Classic mode - fine
for most software. If the iMac is old enough to boot in OS 9, that
should work too - 9.2.2 being the last incarnation of the classic Mac
OS.
--
/Jon
For mail address, run the following in Terminal:
Jon wrote:
> <bcfd36@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I recently inherited an iMac from my father. I like the machine for the
> > most part. However, I would like to run one or two of my old apps
> > (Seahaven Towers!). Can I pull over my system file from my old 9.2.2
> > machine and have it work correctly, or would this just be too easy?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > D. Scruggs
>
> If you mean "System Folder", yes, probably.
> Note: The System _file_ alone won't do anything, you need the entire
> 9.2.2 System Folder.
>
> What it will do is allow the iMac to run the apps in Classic mode - fine
> for most software. If the iMac is old enough to boot in OS 9, that
> should work too - 9.2.2 being the last incarnation of the classic Mac
> OS.
> --
> /Jon

Thanks Jon. I meant to say System Folder and not System file. To answer
a previous post, the machine did not come with an incarnation of OS 9
installed, as far as I can tell. I did a "find . -name \*ystem\*" from
"/" and got lots of hits, but not another system folder.

In which folder do I install the OS 9 System Folder, and what should
it's name be?

D. Scruggs

0
bcfd36 (7)
12/28/2005 7:30:36 PM
<bcfd36@aol.com> wrote:

> In which folder do I install the OS 9 System Folder, and what should
> it's name be?

Actually anyware, and with any name. Contents makes the magic.
But the default name is System Folder, and the default location is
the top level of Macintosh HD beside System, Library, Users and
Applications - or if you prefer geek-talk, "/".

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour
Anders Ekl�f <andekl_no@saaf_spam.se> wrote:

> <bcfd36@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > In which folder do I install the OS 9 System Folder, and what should
> > it's name be?
>
> Actually anyware, and with any name. Contents makes the magic.

And by the way, that trick will *NOT* work with the OS X folders.

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour
0
andekl_no (290)
12/29/2005 1:25:51 AM
Anders Ekl=F6f wrote:
> <bcfd36@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > In which folder do I install the OS 9 System Folder, and what should
> > it's name be?
>
> Actually anyware, and with any name. Contents makes the magic.
> But the default name is System Folder, and the default location is
> the top level of Macintosh HD beside System, Library, Users and
> Applications - or if you prefer geek-talk, "/".

"/" is just fine. I've been doing unix since 1976. Bill Joy and Ken
Thompson were known to hang out in Cory Hall back then, but I never
actually talked to them. Genuflect, yes.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

> --
> I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines

D=2E Scruggs
> to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

0
bcfd36 (7)
12/29/2005 7:59:07 AM
Jon wrote:
> <bcfd36@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>I recently inherited an iMac from my father. I like the machine for the
>>most part. However, I would like to run one or two of my old apps
>>(Seahaven Towers!). Can I pull over my system file from my old 9.2.2
>>machine and have it work correctly, or would this just be too easy?
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>D. Scruggs
>
> If you mean "System Folder", yes, probably.
> Note: The System _file_ alone won't do anything, you need the entire
> 9.2.2 System Folder.
>
> What it will do is allow the iMac to run the apps in Classic mode - fine
> for most software. If the iMac is old enough to boot in OS 9, that
> should work too - 9.2.2 being the last incarnation of the classic Mac
> OS

I tried that for my brother's Mac (G4/450 dual), which was a cast-off
from a friend and came without Classic, just Panther, and no
installation disks. I copied my System Folder for Classic (from my G4
Powerbook running 10.3.9) onto a CD, then onto his Mac. It did not get
blessed, nor would it run Classic software. I tried, on his Mac, taking
the System File out of the folder, then replacing it, which sometimes
enables a System Folder to get blessed. No luck. Tried the same thing
with the Finder file. Still no luck. Any suggestions?

Susan K
--
Dr. Susan Kayser        SDSS at FermiLab
0
Susan Kayser <sukayser@fnal.gov> wrote:

> Jon wrote:
> > <bcfd36@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I recently inherited an iMac from my father. I like the machine for the
> >>most part. However, I would like to run one or two of my old apps
> >>(Seahaven Towers!). Can I pull over my system file from my old 9.2.2
> >>machine and have it work correctly, or would this just be too easy?
> >>
> >>Thanks for any help.
> >>
> >>D. Scruggs
> >
> > If you mean "System Folder", yes, probably.
> > Note: The System _file_ alone won't do anything, you need the entire
> > 9.2.2 System Folder.
> >
> > What it will do is allow the iMac to run the apps in Classic mode - fine
> > for most software. If the iMac is old enough to boot in OS 9, that
> > should work too - 9.2.2 being the last incarnation of the classic Mac
> > OS
>
> I tried that for my brother's Mac (G4/450 dual), which was a cast-off
> from a friend and came without Classic, just Panther, and no
> installation disks. I copied my System Folder for Classic (from my G4
> Powerbook running 10.3.9) onto a CD, then onto his Mac. It did not get
> blessed, nor would it run Classic software. I tried, on his Mac, taking
> the System File out of the folder, then replacing it, which sometimes
> enables a System Folder to get blessed. No luck. Tried the same thing
> with the Finder file. Still no luck. Any suggestions?

Is it possible that the CD-burning changed the files in some way? E.g.,
if you burned to a standard ISO format, that resource forks could have
been damaged or such? Just speculating, as I have done this (copying
System Folders) a few times, but normally by cable - ethernet or
FireWire - from machine to machine, and that has not been a problem.