Installing OS X on an external drive -- size?

As we begin to take our iBook with us on more trips, I begin to be
concerned about corrupted fixed disks, so I'm contemplating installing OS X
on the little firewire drive we carry along -- I think it's 40GB.

How much space does a bootable install take? I want to make sure I have
enough useable space left over for the stuff we use the external drive
for.
--
Phil Stripling           | email to the replyto address is presumed
The Civilized Explorer   | spam and read later. email from this URL

In article <3qmzu0vtgs.fsf@shell4.tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
<phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:

> As we begin to take our iBook with us on more trips, I begin to be
> concerned about corrupted fixed disks, so I'm contemplating installing OS X
> on the little firewire drive we carry along -- I think it's 40GB.
>
> How much space does a bootable install take? I want to make sure I have
> enough useable space left over for the stuff we use the external drive
> for.

If you don't install all the languages and printer drivers, you'll get
by with approximately 2GB required. Everything else will be for your
other apps and data (this is with Panther).

That's how I have my 30GB FireLite drive set up for use with my
PowerBook or, to be able to boot into "my" environment on a family
member's Mac when I visit.

--
Spenser
0