Installing OS X on external Firewire drive. . .

I have an external 80GB Firewire hard drive. I have lots of docuents
and stuff backed up on it, and I want to install OS X on it so if
anything happens to my internal HD I'll have a temporary replacement.
How can I make it so that the OS X install CD will let me install the
operating system without erasing everything on the drive?

0
fhkstorm (2)

Cory wrote:
> I have an external 80GB Firewire hard drive. I have lots of docuents
> and stuff backed up on it, and I want to install OS X on it so if
> anything happens to my internal HD I'll have a temporary replacement.
> How can I make it so that the OS X install CD will let me install the
> operating system without erasing everything on the drive?

Create a folder and put all your backup stuff here. Installing OS X
won't erase anything - unless you tell it to - but putting all your
backup data into a folder keeps things neater.

Why not use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your current X install to your FW
drive?  Far better than reinstalling a new system from scratch.

=:~)

--
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners." - Ernest Jan Plugge

news at cdss dot fsnet dot co dot uk
0
nospam132 (199)
3/3/2005 8:22:57 PM
The problem is that when I boot from the OS X install CD, the external
Firewire HD isn't there when it tells you to select the install
destination.

0
fhkstorm (2)
3/3/2005 8:26:38 PM
In article <1109881598.165802.99200@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Cory" <fhkstorm@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The problem is that when I boot from the OS X install CD, the external
> Firewire HD isn't there when it tells you to select the install
> destination.

Are you moving the scroll bar so you can see all the possible volumes
(assuming you have more than a few volumes)?  Are you certain your
particular FW drive is bootable?
0
invalid47 (646)
3/4/2005 5:27:58 AM
In article <invalid-455EB8.23275803032005@news-50.dca.giganews.com>,
 Madwen <invalid@nospam.com> wrote:

> In article <1109881598.165802.99200@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Cory" <fhkstorm@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > The problem is that when I boot from the OS X install CD, the external
> > Firewire HD isn't there when it tells you to select the install
> > destination.
>
> Are you moving the scroll bar so you can see all the possible volumes
> (assuming you have more than a few volumes)?  Are you certain your
> particular FW drive is bootable?

How do you make a Firewire drive bootable, or rather what might prevent
it being bootable? I just removed an internal drive from a system and
put it in a firewire box. I was able to update the OS X on the drive
from an iBook, but not able to boot from it.

1) If I select the drive in the Startup control panel, I can click on
restart but just get the pizza.

2) Or if I hold down option at startup, I can select the disk and try to
boot, but just get a grey screen with a no-entry sign on it.

-- tim
0
tim.streater (535)
3/4/2005 9:52:46 AM
In article <tim.streater-3F3822.09524604032005@individual.net>, Tim
Streater <tim.streater@dante.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <invalid-455EB8.23275803032005@news-50.dca.giganews.com>,
>  Madwen <invalid@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1109881598.165802.99200@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> >  "Cory" <fhkstorm@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > > The problem is that when I boot from the OS X install CD, the external
> > > Firewire HD isn't there when it tells you to select the install
> > > destination.
> >
> > Are you moving the scroll bar so you can see all the possible volumes
> > (assuming you have more than a few volumes)?  Are you certain your
> > particular FW drive is bootable?
>
> How do you make a Firewire drive bootable, or rather what might prevent
> it being bootable? I just removed an internal drive from a system and
> put it in a firewire box. I was able to update the OS X on the drive
> from an iBook, but not able to boot from it.
>
> 1) If I select the drive in the Startup control panel, I can click on
> restart but just get the pizza.
>
> 2) Or if I hold down option at startup, I can select the disk and try to
> boot, but just get a grey screen with a no-entry sign on it.

Not all machines are capable of booting from Firewire. I'm not sure
specifically where the dividing line is with iBooks but I'd guess that
if you have a G3 processor you can't. If you have a G4 then maybe.
0
reply_to (383)
3/4/2005 1:57:25 PM
In article <040320050757250882%reply_to@newsgroup.INVALID>,
 Chris Moore <reply_to@newsgroup.INVALID> wrote:

> In article <tim.streater-3F3822.09524604032005@individual.net>, Tim
> Streater <tim.streater@dante.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <invalid-455EB8.23275803032005@news-50.dca.giganews.com>,
> >  Madwen <invalid@nospam.com> wrote:

> > > Are you moving the scroll bar so you can see all the possible volumes
> > > (assuming you have more than a few volumes)?  Are you certain your
> > > particular FW drive is bootable?
> >
> > How do you make a Firewire drive bootable, or rather what might prevent
> > it being bootable? I just removed an internal drive from a system and
> > put it in a firewire box. I was able to update the OS X on the drive
> > from an iBook, but not able to boot from it.
> >
> > 1) If I select the drive in the Startup control panel, I can click on
> > restart but just get the pizza.
> >
> > 2) Or if I hold down option at startup, I can select the disk and try to
> > boot, but just get a grey screen with a no-entry sign on it.
>
> Not all machines are capable of booting from Firewire. I'm not sure
> specifically where the dividing line is with iBooks but I'd guess that
> if you have a G3 processor you can't. If you have a G4 then maybe.

Yes, the system I removed the drive from was a G4-450 and was the system
I used to partition the drive and install OS X. The iBook is a G3-700. I
would try reformatting and then re-installing OS X except that the
bigger partition on the drive has some 60G of sound files on it that I
want to keep :-)

-- tim
0
tim.streater (535)
3/4/2005 2:33:52 PM
Chris Moore wrote:

> Not all machines are capable of booting from Firewire. I'm not sure
> specifically where the dividing line is with iBooks but I'd guess that
> if you have a G3 processor you can't. If you have a G4 then maybe.

FYI:  I have a G3 700 MHz iBook with an external Firewire drive (LaCie),
and I can boot from a partition on that drive cloned from the internal
HD.  Sorry I don't have any suggestions for the OP.

--

Ted Hall
0
In article <040320050757250882%reply_to@newsgroup.INVALID>,
 Chris Moore <reply_to@newsgroup.INVALID> wrote:

> Not all machines are capable of booting from Firewire. I'm not sure
> specifically where the dividing line is with iBooks but I'd guess that
> if you have a G3 processor you can't. If you have a G4 then maybe.

I have one of the first FireWire iBooks and I have no problem starting
it up from an external FireWire disk built with an iBook-G4.  However, I
have heard that not all FireWire enclosures use the same chipset and
that some chipsets will not allowing booting -- could that be the
problem?

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
tomstiller (3053)