Is .mac and back to my mac on topic?

If it is, I'll post a message about them.

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0

Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> If it is, I'll post a message about them.

LOL!  Oh, and IMO, yes.
--
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods.
 mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> > If it is, I'll post a message about them.
>
> LOL!

Seriously; I've posted stuff that I though was on topic, and got heat
for it.  So I decided to ask first.

> Oh, and IMO, yes.

Stolen laptop leads victim to alleged thieves

Richard Liebson
The Journal News
WHITE PLAINS - Smile, you're busted.

A tech-savvy White Plains woman whose apartment was burglarized solved
the crime herself after she was able to log on to her stolen laptop,
photograph one of the suspects with it and get photos of another, police
said.

Edmon Shahikian, 23, of 13 Cobbling Rock Road, Katonah, and Ian Frias,
20, of 1609 E. 174th St., the Bronx, were picked up at their homes
Wednesday night after the victim turned the pictures over to police. The
police said they recovered most of the $5,000 worth of electronics
stolen in the burglary.

"Our victim did a phenomenal job," said Lt. Eric Fischer, commander of
the Detective Division. "She knew her computer, and she let us know as
soon as she obtained the information. We rolled on it immediately, and
the result is the arrest of two burglary suspects and the recovery of
most of the stolen property."

The burglary was reported April 27, when three roommates returned to
their Ridgeview Avenue apartment about 10 p.m. to discover that it had
been ransacked.

Among the items taken were two laptops, two flat-screen televisions, two
iPods, gaming consoles, DVDs and computer games. Police found no sign of
force.

On Tuesday, police said, one of the victims, who works at The Apple
Store in The Westchester mall, received a call from a friend asking her
if she was online.

The victim said no, and was told by the friend that his computer showed
her as being logged onto the Internet.

At that point, police said, the victim signed onto another computer and
used the "Back to My Mac" program to determine that her stolen MacIntosh
laptop indeed was signed onto the Web and that someone was using it to
shop online. She then activated the stolen computer's camera, allowing
her to "see" what was in front of the laptop.

At first, police said, she saw only an empty chair. But a short time
later, they said, she was able to photograph a man, Shahikian, sitting
in front of her stolen laptop. The victim then was able to find photos
of Frias using the computer after it had been stolen, police said.

Fischer said the victim did not know either man but showed the photos to
one of her roommates, who recognized them as having attended a
get-together at the apartment a few weeks before the burglary.

Police said Shahikian and Frias apparently are friends of a friend of
the victims.

The computer-savvy victim contacted police, gave them the tell-tale
photos, and the arrests were made a short time later.

Shahikian and Frias are charged with second-degree burglary and
fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, both felonies.

Bail and court information were unavailable.

Frias and Shahikian were arrested last year on charges of criminal
possession of marijuana, a felony, after police recovered 3 pounds of
marijuana worth about $7,500 in a Jeep they were in. The dispositions of
their cases were not immediately available.

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0
michelle14 (19004)
5/10/2008 10:54:09 PM
In article <michelle-5B97FD.15201710052008@news.west.cox.net>, Michelle
Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> If it is, I'll post a message about them.

If you have to ask, it probably isn't.

..mac and BTMM are more appropriate to com.sys.mac.comm

Why do you pull these stunts?

I know, I know...

"I don't subscribe to the other groups."

"Somebody else did it first."

"Don't blame me, I was just replying to {insert troll name here]."

Peh.

--
Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
0
Mike Rosenberg <mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com> wrote:

> Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
>
> > If it is, I'll post a message about them.
>
> LOL!  Oh, and IMO, yes.

No, they're OT on comp.sys.mac.comm, not here.

--
Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
0
dave16 (4224)
5/10/2008 11:49:37 PM
In article <100520081749375179%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <1igqml2.90lqaz1h7auzpN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
> Mike Rosenberg <mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com> wrote:
>
> > Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
> >
> > > If it is, I'll post a message about them.
> >
> > LOL!  Oh, and IMO, yes.
>
> No, they're OT on comp.sys.mac.comm, not here.

Sigh. OT above means "on topic". Just this once. Promise.

--
Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
0
dave16 (4224)
5/10/2008 11:52:47 PM
In article <100520081749103553%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
 Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> > If it is, I'll post a message about them.
>
> If you have to ask, it probably isn't.
>
> .mac and BTMM are more appropriate to com.sys.mac.comm
>
> Why do you pull these stunts?

Y'know, if you, Mike R, and JR had all said, "No", I wouldn't have
posted it.

It's not stunts, Dave; I've posted stuff that I thought was on topic,
and got beaten down by you and JR for it, so this time I thought I would
ask.

So it seems that asking isn't good enough for a petty tyrant like you;
you just like to insult and berate people for whatever excuse you can
dredge up.

So from now on, I'll ignore your opinions on anything except purely
technical material.

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0
michelle14 (19004)
5/11/2008 12:09:15 AM
In article <michelle-12A54B.17091510052008@news.west.cox.net>, Michelle
Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> So it seems that asking isn't good enough for a petty tyrant like you;
> you just like to insult and berate people for whatever excuse you can
> dredge up.

That's about par with what I'm coming to expect from you. You reply to
criticism with insults and excuses, behaving like a spoiled child.

I'm not going to play that game with you. It's not worth my time.

--
Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
0
dave16 (4224)
5/11/2008 3:41:03 AM
In article <100520082141038329%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
 Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> > So it seems that asking isn't good enough for a petty tyrant like
> > you; you just like to insult and berate people for whatever excuse
> > you can dredge up.
>
> That's about par with what I'm coming to expect from you. You reply
> to criticism with insults and excuses, behaving like a spoiled child.

I react to wannabe petty dictators with the derision they deserve.  It
you hit someone, don't be surprised if they hit back.

I asked if something were on topic, and you acted in your typical
self-righteous abusive manner, and I called you on it.  If you want to
continue to act like a schoolyard bully, that's your problem; stop
trying to blame me.