links don't work on smb-mounted Devices OSX 10.3.9

Hi,

on OSX 10.3.9 "Links" (hard/soft) don't work on smb-mounted devices. :-(

Why can't use Apple the normal smb-client, that is part of the
Samba-Suite? On Linux-systems smb-mounted devices support Links.

How long do we have to wait, until the System-Programmers at Apple
recognize, that it is a UNIX-System =;-(

Does anyone has a Replacement to mount a Samba-Server ?
(AFP is NOT an Option)

Thanks,
Joachim
--
nospam_gothe03@dm.fh-hannover.de
0

Joachim Gothe wrote:

> on OSX 10.3.9 "Links" (hard/soft) don't work on smb-mounted devices.
> :-(
>
> Why can't use Apple the normal smb-client, that is part of the
> Samba-Suite? On Linux-systems smb-mounted devices support Links.
>
> How long do we have to wait, until the System-Programmers at Apple
> recognize, that it is a UNIX-System =;-(
>
> Does anyone has a Replacement to mount a Samba-Server ?
> (AFP is NOT an Option)

Why is AFP not an option? Apparently there are commercial AFP-clients that
work: Dave, ExtremeZ-IP, ADmitMac. (Ignoring for a second that Apple should
deliver what it promises.)

Er, I see that ADmitMac uses its own SMB-client. I haven't used it myself,
so I don't know how good or bad it is. See
<http://www.admitmac.com/admitmac-vs-tiger/>.

0
branko (8)
9/22/2005 10:21:16 AM
Branko Collin schrieb:
> Joachim Gothe wrote:
>

>>on OSX 10.3.9 "Links" (hard/soft) don't work on smb-mounted devices.
>>:-(
>>
>>Why can't use Apple the normal smb-client, that is part of the
>>Samba-Suite? On Linux-systems smb-mounted devices support Links.
>>
>>How long do we have to wait, until the System-Programmers at Apple
>>recognize, that it is a UNIX-System =;-(
>>
>>Does anyone has a Replacement to mount a Samba-Server ?
>>(AFP is NOT an Option)
>

> Why is AFP not an option? Apparently there are commercial AFP-clients that
> work: Dave, ExtremeZ-IP, ADmitMac. (Ignoring for a second that Apple should
> deliver what it promises.)
>
> Er, I see that ADmitMac uses its own SMB-client. I haven't used it myself,
> so I don't know how good or bad it is. See

900 Users on ~50 Macs and ~150 PC's... I don't pay more for a simple
tool to mount Homedirectories than for the main Operating-System.

Homedirectories are exported via an SMB-Server on Linux, that
authenticates via LDAP to an Campuswide (~8000 Users)eDirectory.

PC's and Macs have to use the same Single-Sign-on Point at an Active
Directory (that also authenticat to tha main eDirectory).

I wish i get ONE TIME that, what Apple promise :-(

Achim
--
nospam_gothe03@dm.fh-hannover.de
University of Applied Science and Arts Hannover (Germany)