Mac os 9 Vs. Mac os X

I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac
os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find
no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off
the earth for them.

The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward
compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9
will I need all the mac os x libraries ?

can someone throw somelight ?

Thanks

>The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward
>compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9
>will I need all the mac os x libraries ?

No. If you write your code against Carbon, Apple's OS9/OS X API, it'll work on
either system.

The URL Access Manager is part of the Carbon API. As such, it is available to
Carbon apps in both OS 9 and OS X.

--
Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

0
tacitr (1750)
11/22/2003 12:32:53 AM
In article <7ea070a.0311211603.5fc54786@posting.google.com>,
 dadbhawala@hotmail.com (dharmesh) wrote:

> I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac
> os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find
> no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off
> the earth for them.
>
> The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward
> compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9
> will I need all the mac os x libraries ?
>
> can someone throw somelight ?
>
> Thanks

Probably asking comp.sys.mac.programmer.help would be better than this
group.

Anyway, if you write a "Carbon" application it will run under OS 9 and
OS X. Carbon is a subset of the old OS 9 toolbox + some restrictions on
accessing structures like those for WindowPtrs that used to be open.

--
James Meiss
<http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>