Mac OS X 10.2.8 worse then 10.1

I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.

It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
lot buggier.  :-(

   - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
     only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
     (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
     happens after using Classic, but does happen
     even if I have quit Classic.)

   - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
     objects when dragging them, rather than moving
     the original. Apparently a known bug that
     FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.

   - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
     an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
     as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
     "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
     to happen with Illustrator documents!

   - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
     renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
     an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
     but at least the document still works fine.

And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.

There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
occassional system feeze / crash.
0
yourname3 (802)

On 10/19/2013 10:01 PM PT, Your Name typed:

> I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.

Which web browser and newsreader? I still have my PowerBook G4 with its
Mac OS X 10.2.8. I used Tin and Pan from Fink in it.

> It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> lot buggier.  :-(
>
>     - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
>       only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
>       (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
>       happens after using Classic, but does happen
>       even if I have quit Classic.)
>
>     - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
>       objects when dragging them, rather than moving
>       the original. Apparently a known bug that
>       FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
>
>     - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
>       an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
>       as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
>       "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
>       to happen with Illustrator documents!
>
>     - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
>       renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
>       an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
>       but at least the document still works fine.
>
> And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
>
> There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> occassional system feeze / crash.

Try a clean install from scratch? I never trust those OS upgrades. :/
--
"Trivial hurts, tiny human accidents," said Firenze, as his hooves
thudded over the mossy floor. "These are of no more significance than
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> On 10/19/2013 10:01 PM PT, Your Name typed:
>
> > I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> > because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> > I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
>
> Which web browser and newsreader? I still have my PowerBook G4 with its
> Mac OS X 10.2.8. I used Tin and Pan from Fink in it.

The newsreader is Thoth 1.5.4. I might look at some of the other
options when I have more time.

The web browser I'm currently using is Firefox 1.0.7 - the same ones as
under Mac OS 10.1 because I found the newer Firefox 2.0 to be very
buggy, but haven't had time to try and get it working.

I also use Safari 1.0 and Internet Explorer 5.2.3 on some websites that
Firefox doesn't like.

> > It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> > lot buggier.  :-(
> >
> >     - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
> >       only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
> >       (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
> >       happens after using Classic, but does happen
> >       even if I have quit Classic.)
> >
> >     - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
> >       objects when dragging them, rather than moving
> >       the original. Apparently a known bug that
> >       FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
> >
> >     - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
> >       an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
> >       as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
> >       "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
> >       to happen with Illustrator documents!
> >
> >     - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
> >       renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
> >       an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
> >       but at least the document still works fine.
> >
> > And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
> >
> > There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> > occassional system feeze / crash.
>
> Try a clean install from scratch? I never trust those OS upgrades. :/

It was an upgrade CD, so it won't do a clean install.
0
yourname3 (802)
10/20/2013 6:17:51 AM
In article <201020131801034711%YourName@YourISP.com>,
 Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
>
> It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> lot buggier.  :-(
>
>    - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
>      only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
>      (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
>      happens after using Classic, but does happen
>      even if I have quit Classic.)
>
>    - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
>      objects when dragging them, rather than moving
>      the original. Apparently a known bug that
>      FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
>
>    - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
>      an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
>      as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
>      "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
>      to happen with Illustrator documents!
>
>    - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
>      renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
>      an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
>      but at least the document still works fine.
>
> And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
>
> There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> occassional system feeze / crash.

How much RAM do you have?  With the 256MB which came with my iBook, 10.1
kept beachballing when I was simply typing text.

It was so bad that I was on the point of asking for my money back when
10.2 came out.

10.2 had it's problems but at least it was usable.

The real improvement came with 10.3 Panther.

--
Paul Sture
0
 Paul Sture <nospam@sture.ch> wrote:

> In article <201020131801034711%YourName@YourISP.com>,
>  Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>
> > I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> > because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> > I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
> >
> > It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> > lot buggier.  :-(
> >
> >    - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
> >      only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
> >      (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
> >      happens after using Classic, but does happen
> >      even if I have quit Classic.)
> >
> >    - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
> >      objects when dragging them, rather than moving
> >      the original. Apparently a known bug that
> >      FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
> >
> >    - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
> >      an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
> >      as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
> >      "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
> >      to happen with Illustrator documents!
> >
> >    - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
> >      renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
> >      an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
> >      but at least the document still works fine.
> >
> > And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
> >
> > There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> > occassional system feeze / crash.
>
> How much RAM do you have?  With the 256MB which came with my iBook, 10.1
> kept beachballing when I was simply typing text.
>
> It was so bad that I was on the point of asking for my money back when
> 10.2 came out.
>
> 10.2 had it's problems but at least it was usable.
>
> The real improvement came with 10.3 Panther.

I've had Puma, Jaguar and Tiger on my Blueberry IBook. Everyone better
than the previous. None really snappy though.... I  had the memory maxed
out to 512MB? and Tiger had to be installed with the help of third party
software. Do you need that thingy?  I've put my G3 in the museum! ;-)
--
teleportation kills
0
 Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> In article <Y-ydnSZLYIyV9f7PnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
> > On 10/19/2013 10:01 PM PT, Your Name typed:
> >
> > > I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> > > because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> > > I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
> >
> > Which web browser and newsreader? I still have my PowerBook G4 with its
> > Mac OS X 10.2.8. I used Tin and Pan from Fink in it.
>
> The newsreader is Thoth 1.5.4. I might look at some of the other
> options when I have more time.
>
> The web browser I'm currently using is Firefox 1.0.7 - the same ones as
> under Mac OS 10.1 because I found the newer Firefox 2.0 to be very
> buggy, but haven't had time to try and get it working.
>
> I also use Safari 1.0 and Internet Explorer 5.2.3 on some websites that
> Firefox doesn't like.
>

> > > It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> > > lot buggier.  :-(
> > >
> > >     - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
> > >       only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
> > >       (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
> > >       happens after using Classic, but does happen
> > >       even if I have quit Classic.)
> > >
> > >     - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
> > >       objects when dragging them, rather than moving
> > >       the original. Apparently a known bug that
> > >       FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
> > >
> > >     - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
> > >       an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
> > >       as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
> > >       "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
> > >       to happen with Illustrator documents!
> > >
> > >     - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
> > >       renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
> > >       an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
> > >       but at least the document still works fine.
> > >
> > > And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
> > >
> > > There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> > > occassional system feeze / crash.
> >
> > Try a clean install from scratch? I never trust those OS upgrades. :/
>
> It was an upgrade CD, so it won't do a clean install.

I'm pretty sure they will do a clean install though it isn't a
selection.  Boot with the CD, run Disk Utility from it to erase the disk
and then run the installation.

Make sure you have the original OS to install if that doesn't work.
In article <bci1bkFd0ufU1@mid.individual.net>, android <here@there.was>
wrote:

> In article <nospam-BF6A47.12511820102013@news.chingola.ch>,
>  Paul Sture <nospam@sture.ch> wrote:
> >
> > How much RAM do you have?  With the 256MB which came with my iBook, 10.1
> > kept beachballing when I was simply typing text.
> >
> > It was so bad that I was on the point of asking for my money back when
> > 10.2 came out.
> >
> > 10.2 had it's problems but at least it was usable.
> >
> > The real improvement came with 10.3 Panther.
>
> I've had Puma, Jaguar and Tiger on my Blueberry IBook. Everyone better
> than the previous. None really snappy though.... I  had the memory maxed
> out to 512MB? and Tiger had to be installed with the help of third party
> software. Do you need that thingy?  I've put my G3 in the museum! ;-)

Maxing the memory to 640MB at roughly the same time I moved to Panther
made it a much better system.  I managed to install Tiger on it without
problems but eventually more complex web sites became too much for it.

By the end of its life the internal disk was dead, the keyboard curled
up (yes really - I took it out to clean and it wouldn't fit back again
properly) and the screen had lost its contrast, so I was running it on
external Firewire disk, keyboard, mouse and monitor.  It was still fine
as a general file, print, mail and news server and as a music centre for
quite a bit longer.  I only retired it because I needed the desk space.

--
Paul Sture
0
In article <201020131801034711%YourName@YourISP.com>,
 Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
>
> It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> lot buggier.  :-(
>
>    - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
>      only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
>      (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
>      happens after using Classic, but does happen
>      even if I have quit Classic.)
>
>    - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
>      objects when dragging them, rather than moving
>      the original. Apparently a known bug that
>      FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
>
>    - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
>      an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
>      as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
>      "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
>      to happen with Illustrator documents!
>
>    - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
>      renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
>      an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
>      but at least the document still works fine.
>
> And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
>
> There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> occassional system feeze / crash.

I would suggest going to 10.3 (Panther), which was the best of the
bunch.

It was more stable, and faster than any of the previous Mac OS X
versions.
In article <201020131801034711%YourName@YourISP.com>,
 Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
>
> It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> lot buggier.  :-(
>
>    - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
>      only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
>      (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
>      happens after using Classic, but does happen
>      even if I have quit Classic.)
>
>    - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
>      objects when dragging them, rather than moving
>      the original. Apparently a known bug that
>      FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
>
>    - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
>      an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
>      as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
>      "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
>      to happen with Illustrator documents!
>
>    - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
>      renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
>      an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
>      but at least the document still works fine.
>
> And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
>
> There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> occassional system feeze / crash.

10.0 through 10.3 are awful.  Maybe you'll find a version with bugs that
don't impact you, but I wouldn't spend the effort on it.  You should be
able to upgrade it to 10.4.  It still has some lingering filesystem bugs
but it should otherwise do OK.  I booted into OS 9 a lot with the first
few versions of OS X to avoid its bugs.
0
mcmurtrie (391)
10/20/2013 7:45:24 PM
<nospam@sture.ch> wrote:

> In article <201020131801034711%YourName@YourISP.com>,
>  Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>
> > I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> > because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> > I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
> >
> > It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> > lot buggier.  :-(
> >
> >    - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
> >      only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
> >      (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
> >      happens after using Classic, but does happen
> >      even if I have quit Classic.)
> >
> >    - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
> >      objects when dragging them, rather than moving
> >      the original. Apparently a known bug that
> >      FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
> >
> >    - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
> >      an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
> >      as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
> >      "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
> >      to happen with Illustrator documents!
> >
> >    - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
> >      renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
> >      an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
> >      but at least the document still works fine.
> >
> > And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
> >
> > There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> > occassional system feeze / crash.
>
> How much RAM do you have?  With the 256MB which came with my iBook, 10.1
> kept beachballing when I was simply typing text.
>
> It was so bad that I was on the point of asking for my money back when
> 10.2 came out.
>
> 10.2 had it's problems but at least it was usable.
>
> The real improvement came with 10.3 Panther.

My G3 PowerMac has 288MB RAM and I had (almost) no problems with the
beachball under 10.1. I usually only saw the beachball when the web
browser was doing something silly like Flash content.  :-)

Officially my computer can't install Mac OS X 10.3, and since it's also
my work computer, I'm not even going to try installing 10.3 (even if I
could find the install CDs at a cheap price).
0
yourname3 (802)
10/20/2013 8:29:20 PM
In article
<lloydparsons-FBA4CB.08190420102013@news.eternal-september.org>, Lloyd
<lloydparsons@me.com> wrote:
> In article <201020131917518843%YourName@YourISP.com>,
>  Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> > In article <Y-ydnSZLYIyV9f7PnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
> > <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > >
> > > Try a clean install from scratch? I never trust those OS upgrades. :/
> >
> > It was an upgrade CD, so it won't do a clean install.
>
> I'm pretty sure they will do a clean install though it isn't a
> selection.  Boot with the CD, run Disk Utility from it to erase the disk
> and then run the installation.
>
> Make sure you have the original OS to install if that doesn't work.

Nope. Doesn't work. I tried to do a clean install from the start, but
it would only install onto a drive with 10.1 already installed.
0
yourname3 (802)
10/20/2013 8:33:12 PM
In article
<nospam.News.Bob-AA8A99.13030820102013@news.eternal-september.org>, Bob
Harris <nospam.News.Bob@remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:

> In article <201020131801034711%YourName@YourISP.com>,
>  Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>
> > I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> > because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> > I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
> >
> > It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> > lot buggier.  :-(
> >
> >    - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
> >      only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
> >      (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
> >      happens after using Classic, but does happen
> >      even if I have quit Classic.)
> >
> >    - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
> >      objects when dragging them, rather than moving
> >      the original. Apparently a known bug that
> >      FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
> >
> >    - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
> >      an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
> >      as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
> >      "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
> >      to happen with Illustrator documents!
> >
> >    - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
> >      renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
> >      an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
> >      but at least the document still works fine.
> >
> > And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
> >
> > There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> > occassional system feeze / crash.
>
> I would suggest going to 10.3 (Panther), which was the best of the
> bunch.
>
> It was more stable, and faster than any of the previous Mac OS X
> versions.

A 266MHz G3 PowerMac can't officially use 10.3. You can get around that
with third-party software, and preferably an upgraded CPU, but I'm not
even remotely going to muck about like that on this computer since I
use it for work as well ... even if I could find Mac OS 10.3 install
CDs at a similarly very cheap price.
0
yourname3 (802)
10/20/2013 8:36:02 PM
In message <mcmurtrie-15E365.12452420102013@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>
  Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie@pixelmemory.us> wrote:
> In article <201020131801034711%YourName@YourISP.com>,
>  Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>> I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
>> because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
>> I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
>>
>> It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
>> lot buggier.  :-(

Than 10.1? No way. 10.1 was usable, but only barely.

>>    - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the

What display? Connected how? have you tried a different display? If it
goes to sleep when the computer is being used, then it's not going to
sleep. Something is probably wrong with the disaply or the video card.
That is to say, hardware, not software.

> 10.0 through 10.3 are awful.

10.3 was fine. I used it for a long time. Yes, 10.4 was better, but 10.3
was good and stable.

--
On 30 Jul 2013, Wietse Venema wrote:
>Think 100MHz Pentium, 33k6 analog modem.  Even I have stopped using that.
0
g.kreme (3671)
10/20/2013 11:29:32 PM
In article <211020130929200498%YourName@YourISP.com>, Your Name
<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> Officially my computer can't install Mac OS X 10.3, and since it's also
> my work computer, I'm not even going to try installing 10.3 (even if I
> could find the install CDs at a cheap price).

if it's for work, then you can justify getting something better, like a
used g4 mini and install 10.5 on it, or splurge on an intel mini.
0
nospam59 (11089)
10/21/2013 12:20:15 AM
Your Name wrote:

> My G3 PowerMac has 288MB RAM and I had (almost) no problems with the
> beachball under 10.1. I usually only saw the beachball when the web
> browser was doing something silly like Flash content.  :-)

10.3 was better, 10.4 even better still. I think you need 512m RAM for
10.4.

> Officially my computer can't install Mac OS X 10.3, and since it's also
> my work computer, I'm not even going to try installing 10.3 (even if I
> could find the install CDs at a cheap price).

XPostFacto.

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Framework.cfm

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379

0
gsm (601)
10/21/2013 3:39:11 AM
In article <slrnl68pqs.2ihn.g.kreme@mbp55.local>, Lewis
<g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message
> <mcmurtrie-15E365.12452420102013@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>
>   Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie@pixelmemory.us> wrote:
> > In article <201020131801034711%YourName@YourISP.com>,
> >  Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> >> because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> >> I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
> >>
> >> It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> >> lot buggier.  :-(
>
> Than 10.1? No way. 10.1 was usable, but only barely.

I had almost no problems running 10.1, but lots of bugs have appeared
with 10.2.8. Some are of course due to incompatible older software
(FileMaker Pro's issue for example), rather than an actual bug in
10.2.8, but it's still annoying and didn't happen under 10.1.  :-(

> >>    - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
>
> What display? Connected how? have you tried a different display? If it
> goes to sleep when the computer is being used, then it's not going to
> sleep. Something is probably wrong with the disaply or the video card.
> That is to say, hardware, not software.

It's a simple CRT screen connected via the standard video connector for
a G3 PowerMac. Not likely a hardware issue since a simple reboot
instantly fixes it. The display is asleep - the light on the front
blinks just as it does when it's really asleep / standby. It also only
started happening since installing 10.2.8 and worked fine under 10.1.
0
yourname3 (802)
10/21/2013 6:14:33 AM
In article <slrnl68pqs.2ihn.g.kreme@mbp55.local>,
 Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message
> <mcmurtrie-15E365.12452420102013@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>
>   Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie@pixelmemory.us> wrote:
> > In article <201020131801034711%YourName@YourISP.com>,
> >  Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>
> >> I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> >> because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> >> I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
> >>
> >> It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> >> lot buggier.  :-(
>
> Than 10.1? No way. 10.1 was usable, but only barely.
>
> >>    - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
>
> What display? Connected how? have you tried a different display? If it
> goes to sleep when the computer is being used, then it's not going to
> sleep. Something is probably wrong with the disaply or the video card.
> That is to say, hardware, not software.
>
> > 10.0 through 10.3 are awful.
>
> 10.3 was fine. I used it for a long time. Yes, 10.4 was better, but 10.3
> was good and stable.

10.3 and earlier regularly polled all volumes from an "uninterruptible
I/O" state.  Having a network volume mounted was a ticking time bomb.
As the name implies, nothing can stop "uninterruptible I/O" except
cutting the power.  10.4 almost fixes it.  I think 10.5 finally got it
fixed.

10.3 lacks TCP Selective ACK and other tuning to respond to network
packet loss efficiently.  Even 0.3% packet loss would bring TCP/IP
throughput to a stuttering crawl.  10.6 might be where this was fixed.

10.3 corrupted the boot volume if there were highly concurrent file
modifications, say 10-100 at once.  You'd hit that a lot doing server
development but otherwise it was rare.  This has improved with each OS
release.
0
mcmurtrie (391)
10/23/2013 3:34:12 AM
Your Name wrote:
> I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.

I presume it's a B&W G3? - Did you install 10.2.8 directly onto the=20
existing 10.1 or did you make an 'Archive and Install'? - I never used=20
10.1 myself cause it doesn't contain ZoomView enlargement which I'm=20
using all the time, so I went direct to the 10.2.8 on a B&W G3/400mhz.=20
I've never had any problems with 10.2.8 on that machine - not even after =

upgrading the processor to a G3/1,0ghz PowerLogix.

I'd strongly recommend you to delete the exisitng OS X 10.2.8 and then=20
install it right from scratch, - then you'll avoid any of the known=20
conflicts between 10.1 and 10.2.8.

> It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> lot buggier.  :-(

10.2.8 should be apprx. 50-60% faster than 10.1...

>     - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
>       only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
>       (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
>       happens after using Classic, but does happen
>       even if I have quit Classic.)

Have you updated Classic from within 'Diskutility'? - Have you 'Repaired =

Permissions'?

Deep down in the OS X 10.1, 10.2.x, 10.3.x and 10.4.x you have all the=20
OS 9.2.2 system parts which are needed when accessing Classic from=20
within OS X. - My classic machine isn't turned on right now, but if I=20
don't recall too wrong the Finder version in classic envirement must be=20
ver. 9.2.1 om OS X 10.1.x, 9.2.5 in OS X 10.2.x and 9.3 in OS X 10.3.x=20
and 10.4.x.

>     - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
>       objects when dragging them, rather than moving
>       the original. Apparently a known bug that
>       FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.

Hm, never seen this bug in FMP 4.x or 5.0, but it was  present in FMP=20
5.5 classic version. You can work around this problem by finding an old=20
Filemaker Pro 6.0 for OS X and install this version onto OS X.

If you have FMP 3.x, 4.x or 5.x you can convert your databases directly=20
in FMP 6.0 OS X - just like you do when you'd upgrade from an earler=20
classic FMP to a newer classic FMP version.

>     - Using the Finder's duplicate command to create
>       an copy of an Illustrator document names the copy
>       as "{original name}.ai copy.ai" rather than just
>       "{original name} copy.ai" and weirdly only seems
>       to happen with Illustrator documents!

You may cure this problem by deleting the 'com.apple.finder.plist' file=20
in 'username/library/preferences'.

>     - Opening the duplicate file, even after manually
>       renaming it, in Illustrator (under Classic) gives
>       an error message about it being a corrupt PDF,
>       but at least the document still works fine.

Delete your Illustrator and AdobeReader prefs files from the Adobe=20
folder inside 'username/library/preferences'. NOTE: you may need to=20
re-enter your registration number for Illustrator, and you will have to=20
set the Illustrator preferences from scratch again.

> And those are just the most frequent issues off the top of my head.
>
> There were never any issues using Mac OS X 10.1, other than a VERY
> occassional system feeze / crash.

I've never had any unprovoked freezes, crashes or hangs in any OS X=20
version. It is on the other hand a known problem that classic sometimes=20
freezes or suddenly quits, because the amount of memory in the classic=20
Finder is way to little.

If you are familiar with the use of the old ResEdit you can add more=20
memory to some parts in the classic system - especially these - Finder,=20
System, SystemResources in the OS 9.x System Folder. In 'Extensions' you =

do the same to the graphics drivers and 'CarbonLib' - in 'Control=20
Panels' you add more memory to 'Extensions Manager' and 'Memory'.

Also remember to avoid the use of 'Virtual Memory' both in a booted=20
classic, but indeed in classic envirement in OS X. The classic virtual=20
memory does conflict with the one in OS X ver 10.2.x to and including=20
10.4.11.

NOTE: If you have 'Norton Systemworks' 2.0 or 3.0 for OS X you can run=20
both DiskDoctor and SpeedDisk, - but DONOT use any other versions of=20
Norton Systemworks and neither any version of Norton Utilities. And you=20
MUST boot from the Norton CD.

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC, <mac-daneRE@MOVEstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
Openoffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

mac-dane (33)
10/23/2013 10:15:48 PM
Your Name wrote:
> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>> On 10/19/2013 10:01 PM PT, Your Name typed:
>>> I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
>>> because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it mean=
>>> I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
>>
>> Which web browser and newsreader? I still have my PowerBook G4 with it=
>> Mac OS X 10.2.8. I used Tin and Pan from Fink in it.
>
> The newsreader is Thoth 1.5.4. I might look at some of the other
> options when I have more time.
>
> The web browser I'm currently using is Firefox 1.0.7 - the same ones as=

> under Mac OS 10.1 because I found the newer Firefox 2.0 to be very
> buggy, but haven't had time to try and get it working.
>
> I also use Safari 1.0 and Internet Explorer 5.2.3 on some websites that=

> Firefox doesn't like.

Here you can use Opera 6 or iCab 3 with good results - especially Opera=20
since this browser can be set to 'act' like InternetExplorer.

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC, <mac-daneRE@MOVEstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
Openoffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

mac-dane (33)
10/23/2013 10:21:23 PM

Your Name wrote:
> Paul Sture <nospam@sture.ch> wrote:
>> How much RAM do you have?  With the 256MB which came with my iBook, 10=
=2E1
>> kept beachballing when I was simply typing text.
>>
>> It was so bad that I was on the point of asking for my money back when=

>> 10.2 came out.
>>
>> 10.2 had it's problems but at least it was usable.
>>
>> The real improvement came with 10.3 Panther.
>
> My G3 PowerMac has 288MB RAM and I had (almost) no problems with the
> beachball under 10.1. I usually only saw the beachball when the web
> browser was doing something silly like Flash content.  :-)
>
> Officially my computer can't install Mac OS X 10.3, and since it's also=

> my work computer, I'm not even going to try installing 10.3 (even if I
> could find the install CDs at a cheap price).

Eeeh? if it's a B&W G3 it sure does support both 10.3.x and 10.4.x. The=20
'block' here is if it has an onboard Firewire or not.

also if it's a B&W G3 you can add up to 1gb of memory in 4x256mb PC-100=20
or PC-133 in models 300mhz and 350mhz rev.A and rev.B. From 350mhz rev.C =

you can instead of 4x256mg modules use 2x512mb PC-133 CL2 or CL2 322=20
moduels in slots 1 and 2 (J19+J20).

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC, <mac-daneRE@MOVEstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
Openoffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

mac-dane (33)
10/23/2013 10:32:52 PM
Your Name wrote:
> Lloyd <lloydparsons@me.com> wrote:
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It was an upgrade CD, so it won't do a clean install.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure they will do a clean install though it isn't a
>> selection.  Boot with the CD, run Disk Utility from it to erase the di=
sk
>> and then run the installation.
>>
>> Make sure you have the original OS to install if that doesn't work.
>
> Nope. Doesn't work. I tried to do a clean install from the start, but
> it would only install onto a drive with 10.1 already installed.

Hm, sounds as if it is a machine specific upgrade disk and not a retail=20
10.2.8. Sopme of the G4 - DigitalAudio Dual 533mhz and the G4=20
QuickSilver 800mhz to 933mhz came with either an OS 9.2 or an OS X 10.1=20
pre-installed and with an OS X 10.2.x in the box as well.

You need a retail OS X CD/DVD 10.2.x, 10.3.x or 10.4.x to install from=20
scratch.

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC, <mac-daneRE@MOVEstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
Openoffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

mac-dane (33)
10/23/2013 11:22:30 PM
Your Name wrote:
> A 266MHz G3 PowerMac can't officially use 10.3. You can get around that=

> with third-party software, and preferably an upgraded CPU, but I'm not
> even remotely going to muck about like that on this computer since I
> use it for work as well ... even if I could find Mac OS 10.3 install
> CDs at a similarly very cheap price.

Argh.:-(! - Wish you've written that in your original message. No, and a =

Beige G3 doesn't support a 10.2.x either. Though you can 'upgrade' from=20
10.1.x to 10.2.8 you willnot get all of the systemparts needed for the=20
machine to run stable.

You may only have one chance to get it to work... You need a B&W Ge with =

a full-working OS X 10.2.8. Put your HD from the Beige G3 into the B&W=20
G3 and jump it as 'slave', install 10.2.8 onto that disk. Take the disk=20
out again and put it back as 'master' and mount it in the Beige G3.

NOTE her. The Beige G3 MUST be a rev.D - Else it won't work.

This also 'solves' the problems with your display. The OS X 10.2.x=20
doesn't include drivers for the graphics card in the Beige G3. Here you=20
need to find the 'ATI Radeon Update' - ver. 3.x if i recall right. This=20
package includes a 'ATI Generic Driver Extension' (.kext file) that=20
needs to be installed onto the OS X 10.2 while the HD is mounted in the=20
B&W G3.

The Generic ATI driver in OS X 10.2.x is supporting graphics cards from=20
the ATI Radeon 128 and up, but not the older Rage64 and Mach64 cards.

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC, <mac-daneRE@MOVEstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
Openoffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

mac-dane (33)
10/23/2013 11:36:43 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
>> My G3 PowerMac has 288MB RAM and I had (almost) no problems with the
>> beachball under 10.1. I usually only saw the beachball when the web
>> browser was doing something silly like Flash content.  :-)
>
> 10.3 was better, 10.4 even better still. I think you need 512m RAM for
> 10.4.

1Gb RAM is the best for 10.4.x, 768mb will do, but works best with 10.3.x=

>> Officially my computer can't install Mac OS X 10.3, and since it's als=
>> my work computer, I'm not even going to try installing 10.3 (even if I=

>> could find the install CDs at a cheap price).
>
> XPostFacto.
>
> http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Framework.cfm

Bingo! There it was... I was nearly going nuts thinking what the hack=20
the name was of the helper app.:-)

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC, <mac-daneRE@MOVEstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
Openoffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

mac-dane (33)
10/23/2013 11:44:33 PM
In article <l49hqk$rks$1@solani.org>, ErikRS <mac-dane@is.invalid>
wrote:

> Your Name wrote:
> > I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly
> > because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means
> > I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader.
>
> I presume it's a B&W G3? - Did you install 10.2.8 directly onto the
> existing 10.1 or did you make an 'Archive and Install'? - I never used
> 10.1 myself cause it doesn't contain ZoomView enlargement which I'm
> using all the time, so I went direct to the 10.2.8 on a B&W G3/400mhz.
> I've never had any problems with 10.2.8 on that machine - not even after
> upgrading the processor to a G3/1,0ghz PowerLogix.
>
> I'd strongly recommend you to delete the exisitng OS X 10.2.8 and then
> install it right from scratch, - then you'll avoid any of the known
> conflicts between 10.1 and 10.2.8.

It's a beige PowerMac - one of the last non-USB Macs. I can't do an
clean install because it's an Upgrade CD and insists on installing over
10.1.

> > It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a
> > lot buggier.  :-(
>
> 10.2.8 should be apprx. 50-60% faster than 10.1...

Nope, not that I can see. Of course, 50%-60% of 266MHz isn't a lot
anyway.  :-)

> >     - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the
> >       only way to get it back is to force a reboot.
> >       (I haven't had time to work out whether it only
> >       happens after using Classic, but does happen
> >       even if I have quit Classic.)
>
> Have you updated Classic from within 'Diskutility'? - Have you 'Repaired
> Permissions'?

Mac OS X 10.2.8 updated Classic itself. I have repaired permissions.

> Deep down in the OS X 10.1, 10.2.x, 10.3.x and 10.4.x you have all the
> OS 9.2.2 system parts which are needed when accessing Classic from
> within OS X. - My classic machine isn't turned on right now, but if I
> don't recall too wrong the Finder version in classic envirement must be
> ver. 9.2.1 om OS X 10.1.x, 9.2.5 in OS X 10.2.x and 9.3 in OS X 10.3.x
> and 10.4.x.

Classic worked fine under 10.1 and is using System 9.2.2.

> >     - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now duplicates
> >       objects when dragging them, rather than moving
> >       the original. Apparently a known bug that
> >       FileMaker Inc never bothered to fix.
>
> Hm, never seen this bug in FMP 4.x or 5.0, but it was  present in FMP
> 5.5 classic version. You can work around this problem by finding an old
> Filemaker Pro 6.0 for OS X and install this version onto OS X.
>
> If you have FMP 3.x, 4.x or 5.x you can convert your databases directly
> in FMP 6.0 OS X - just like you do when you'd upgrade from an earler
> classic FMP to a newer classic FMP version.

I don't really want to spend huge piles of money. If I could find a
newer version of Filemaker very cheapily (as was the Mac OS X 10.2.8
install CD), then it could be worth doing ... BUT it would have to be
the developer version with the Binder to create standalone database
solutions for Windows and Mac OS.
0
yourname3 (802)
10/24/2013 12:05:16 AM
In article <l49mib$chd$1@solani.org>, ErikRS <mac-dane@is.invalid>
wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
> >
> > A 266MHz G3 PowerMac can't officially use 10.3. You can get around that
> > with third-party software, and preferably an upgraded CPU, but I'm not
> > even remotely going to muck about like that on this computer since I
> > use it for work as well ... even if I could find Mac OS 10.3 install
> > CDs at a similarly very cheap price.
>
> Argh.:-(! - Wish you've written that in your original message. No, and a
> Beige G3 doesn't support a 10.2.x either.

The biege PowerMac G3 does officially run up to Mac OS X 10.2.8.

Unofficially some people have installed Mac OS X 10.3 by using the
third-party hacks.
0
yourname3 (802)
10/24/2013 12:15:51 AM
In message <mcmurtrie-8D8935.20341222102013@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>
  Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie@pixelmemory.us> wrote:
> In article <slrnl68pqs.2ihn.g.kreme@mbp55.local>,
>  Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>> In message
>> <mcmurtrie-15E365.12452420102013@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>
>>   Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie@pixelmemory.us> wrote:

>> Than 10.1? No way. 10.1 was usable, but only barely.

>> What display? Connected how? have you tried a different display? If it
>> goes to sleep when the computer is being used, then it's not going to
>> sleep. Something is probably wrong with the disaply or the video card.
>> That is to say, hardware, not software.
>>
>> > 10.0 through 10.3 are awful.
>>
>> 10.3 was fine. I used it for a long time. Yes, 10.4 was better, but 10.3
>> was good and stable.

> 10.3 and earlier regularly polled all volumes from an "uninterruptible
> I/O" state.  Having a network volume mounted was a ticking time bomb.
> As the name implies, nothing can stop "uninterruptible I/O" except
> cutting the power.  10.4 almost fixes it.  I think 10.5 finally got it
> fixed.

Yep, that was true. Fortunately, at the time I didn’t nee to keep
network disks mounted.

> 10.3 lacks TCP Selective ACK and other tuning to respond to network
> packet loss efficiently.  Even 0.3% packet loss would bring TCP/IP
> throughput to a stuttering crawl.  10.6 might be where this was fixed.

I ran 10.3 on a server for over three years on a T1 and then a 20/5 mbit
cable modem.

> 10.3 corrupted the boot volume if there were highly concurrent file
> modifications, say 10-100 at once.  You'd hit that a lot doing server
> development but otherwise it was rare.  This has improved with each OS
> release.

I've never had a corrupted boot drive under OS X. Or a non-boot drive.
Every drive failure has been hardware.

--
'I knew the two of you would get along like a house on fire.' Screams,
flames, people running for safety...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Re: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Jason, >> I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this version >> is used extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of >> ACE all these products used will cause the architect's heads to >> explode ;) >> >> Is it your opinion that 5.3.1 is hopeless cause on Tiger? It'll take some work, but companies like Riverace, Remedy, and OCI can help out with this stuff if staying with 5.3.1 is essential. Please see http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for help with this stuff. >> > http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/ >> I will try it out, and let you know how it works. Great - if there are any problems please let us know quickly so that we can get the fixes into the x.4.8 beta. Thanks, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associate Chair Electrical Engineering and Computer Science TEL: (615) 343-8197 Institute for Software Integrated Systems WEB: www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN, 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

RE: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Doug, > > Thanks for using the PRF. > > >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 > > This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 beta should > work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, > please download the version in our CVS repo at I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this version is used extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of ACE all these products used will cause the architect's heads to explode ;) Is it your opinion that 5.3.1 is hopeless cause on Tiger? > http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/ I will try it out, and let you know how it works. Thanks, Jason ...

RE: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Jason, > > >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 > > > > This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 > beta should > > work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, > > please download the version in our CVS repo at > > I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this > version is used > extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of > ACE all these > products used will cause the architect's heads to explode ;) ;-) Right - this is where the value of commercial support providers comes into play. DOC's research efforts continue to march on as they should, while commercial product efforts are best served by sticking with a version of ACE over time. Companies such as Riverace can make a 5.3-base version work on Mac OS X Tiger, for instance, as well as make sure that when your product is ready for an upgrade, the new version of ACE won't surprise you. I'd be happy to discuss further how we can help you and your architects - we don't want any heads to explode :-) -Steve -- Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation Helping you succeed with ACE See http://www.riverace.com/support.htm ...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio P #2
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr ...

Re: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4
Hi Jason, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 beta should work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, please download the version in our CVS repo at http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/ take care, Doug >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Mac OS X 10.4.2 >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: >> >> /* -*- C++ -*- */ >> // config-macosx.h,v 4.17 2003/01/20 20:02:12 seibel_r Exp >> >> // This configuration file is designed to work with the MacOS X operating >> system. >> >> #ifndef ACE_CONFIG_MACOSX_H >> #define ACE_CONFIG_MACOSX_H >> >> #if ! defined (__ACE_INLINE__) >> #define __ACE_INLINE__ >> #endif /* ! __ACE_INLINE__ */ >> >> #if defined (__GNUG__) >> # include "ace/config-g++-common.h" >> #endif /* __GNUG__ */ >> >> #undef ACE_HAS_EXPLICIT_TEMPLATE_INSTANTIATION >> >> #define ACE_SIZE_T_FORMAT_SPECIFIER ACE_LIB_TEXT ("%lu") >> >> #if defined (ACE_HAS_PENTIUM) >> # undef ACE_HAS_PENTIUM >> #endif /* ACE_HAS_PENTIUM */ >> >> #if !defined (_THREAD_SAFE) >> #define _THREAD_SAFE >&g...

Ann: ActiveDeveloper 2.14 released on Mac OS X 10.2/10.1
ActiveDeveloper 2.14 released for MacOS X 10.2 and 10.1 Our Incremental Objective-C & C IDE, JIT compiler and Debugger Your companion for Cocoa and now also QuickTime Along with Cocoa, ActiveDeveloper v2.14 now also work with QuickTime applications in Objective-C. There is a new QTMovie example implementing a simple QuickTime Movie Player - to show you how it works. ActiveDeveloper v2.14 also has the 3. release of the "ActiveDeveloper User Guide" incorporating most of the user feedback we have had so far and giving a new Sample 3 of Activating the QTMovie player...

Ann: ActiveDeveloper 2.14 released on Mac OS X 10.2/10.1
ActiveDeveloper 2.14 released for MacOS X 10.2 and 10.1 Our Incremental Objective-C & C IDE, JIT compiler and Debugger Your companion for Cocoa and now also QuickTime Along with Cocoa, ActiveDeveloper v2.14 now also work with QuickTime applications in Objective-C. There is a new QTMovie example implementing a simple QuickTime Movie Player - to show you how it works. ActiveDeveloper v2.14 also has the 3. release of the "ActiveDeveloper User Guide" incorporating most of the user feedback we have had so far and giving a new Sample 3 of Activating the QTMovie player...

Recent Articles,, * Amazon offering Mac OS X Snow Leopard Family Pack for $36.49, * Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, the first update to the Snow Leopard operating system, * Gartner: Exchange
http://switchtoamac.com/site/survey-indicates-that-50-of-us-it-pros-are-considering-abandoning-windows-likely-to-switch-to-apples-mac-os-x.html http://tinyurl.com/ybrbgek A June 12, 2009 CNNMoney.com article titled 'Can Windows 7 save PCs?", David Goldman writes about Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 operating system. The article discusses the PC slump and highlights a March survey conducted by Dimension Research that indicates that 50% of respondents are likely to dump Windows in favor of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Noteworthy quotes form the article ...

Uninstalling PinePico-4.58-SSL-10.2.pkg on Mac OS X 10.2.8
How to uninstall PinePico-4.58-SSL-10.2.pkg on Mac OS X 10.2.8? I could not find such information at <http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/index.html>. Please, note that I do not know about Unix commands. I am just a Mac user. I have downloaded it from <http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/> and then <http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/pinepico.html>. I have seen <http://www.washington.edu/pine/> I installed it thinking that it was a client eMail application that would allow me to check with a true Mac OS X Aqua interface my eMail...

Known problems going from Mac 10.2.x to Mac 10.3.1
Are there any known FileMaker problems converting from Mac 10.2.x to Mac 10.3 and then Mac OS 10.3.1? In particular are there any host configuration files that need to saved or changed? I have a client that can't even ping the IP site of where the FileMaker server is, after making the conversion. In article <5e6f384c.0312070830.7a406f30@posting.google.com>, Jim Oser <oserj@yahoo.com> wrote: > Are there any known FileMaker problems converting from Mac 10.2.x to > Mac 10.3 and then Mac OS 10.3.1? > > In particular are there any host configuration files that need ...

Connect an old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to MacBook Pros (Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2)?
Hello. My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser. I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect. Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for the newer ones like 10.8.2. :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon the ant." --Indian /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In message <BI2dnW0DCvEIkhvNnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@earthlink.com> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote: > Hello. > My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old > parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet > printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser. > I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect. It would be cheaper to buy a decent laser printer, and you'd get a scanner and duplex and faxing <spit> in the bargin. Oh, and...

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. &...

Mac file dialog extensions [2.8.1, Mac OS-X, xCode 2.4.1]
------_=_NextPart_001_01C755D2.E5708505 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Looking at the code in Mac/Carbon/FileDlg.cpp, at NavEventProc, in response to the kNavCBPopupMenuSelect event, I noticed that the code takes the LAST extension from the filter and attaches it to the file. I find this a bit strange, and I would expect the FIRST extension of each file type to be the most dominant one, so that it's used as the default extension if none is supplied. Is there any reason for using the last extension (o...

ZoomView problem in Mac OS X 10.2.x & 10.3.x
Hello Everyone This mail is sent to more groups and mailing lists in different countries, also groups, which normally not uses the English language as the native list language, so - PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER TO THIS MESSAGE! - but read it carefully and then follow the instructions regarding answering at the buttom of this mail. I have discovered a bug in Mac OS X 10.2.x and up to latest version 10.3.= 8. When you activate the controlpane *ZoomView* for enlargement and put it either in 'Normal mode' - i.e. black text on white background, - or in "Reverse Mode" - i.e. whit...

RE: Mac file dialog extensions [2.8.1, Mac OS-X, xCode 2.4.1]
OK, I will fix this, and send a patch. > -----Original Message----- > From: Vadim Zeitlin [mailto:vadim@wxwindows.org] > Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 11:38 PM > To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org > Subject: Re: Mac file dialog extensions [2.8.1, Mac OS-X, xCode 2.4.1] >=20 > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:11:23 +0200 Yaron Tadmor <YaronT@HumanEyes.com> > wrote: >=20 > YT> Looking at the code in Mac/Carbon/FileDlg.cpp, at NavEventProc, in > YT> response to the kNavCBPopupMenuSelect event, I noticed that the code > YT> takes the LAST extens...

Ann: ActiveDeveloper 2.16 released for Mac OS X 10.3 10.2 #2
ActiveDeveloper 2.16 released for MacOS X 10.3 and 10.2 Our "Develop & Continue" Objective-C & C IDE and Debugger Your companion for Cocoa, WebKit, and QuickTime. With its "Develop & Continue" ActiveDeveloper takes an Object and Development oriented approach to merging Objective-C Development and Debugging into ONE single combined activity - as opposed to the more Debugging and C stack level oriented approach taken in Xcode. ActiveDeveloper version 2.16 is integrated with the new Xcode IDE similar to how it has worked in concert with Projec...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

[...]

Web resources about - Mac OS X 10.2.8 worse then 10.1 - comp.sys.mac.system

It's Even Worse Than It Looks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided With the New Politics of Extremism is a 2012 book of political ...

STUDY: The More People Use Facebook During A Specific Time Period, The Worse They Feel
... University of Michigan , released Wednesday, which found that the more people used the social network during a specified time period, the worse ...

There are worse places to work - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

YouTube - Norwegian association of the blind Could have been worse
... for Norwegian association of the blind. Puts focus on admission for guide dogs. Audio description of the film «It could have been worse»: A ...

'I've been painted as worse than bin Laden': Concordia captain speaks
The captain of the Costa Concordia has spoken of his "enormous regret" about the cruise ship disaster and of his resentment at being demonised. ...

Australia will be worse off without independents like Ricky Muir
While I realise a handful of votes shouldn't be able to propel you into power, I will be sorry to see the end of 'cross benchers'.

Students who change schools do worse in NAPLAN
Students who change schools several times&nbsp;do worse in NAPLAN&nbsp;than their peers and are more likely to drop out of school.

Late Night Open Thread: Could Be Worse…
. @Reince You really should take your hands away from your eyes and watch what your guys are up to next time. pic.twitter.com/dOz2DmauB5 — Bob ...

Junk bonds are in worse shape than before the Lehman collapse, @Gaius_Publius
Junk bonds are in worse shape than before the Lehman collapse by Gaius Publius Percentage of S&P junk bonds and leveraged loans considered "distressed" ...