Mac OS X 10.3.7 upgrated to 10.3.9 won't boot

Help -
I successfully upgrated my system 10.3.7 to 10.3.9 but it will not now
completely boot.

Hardware: G4 400 AGP with original 30gb hd plus 120gb hd partioned into
three 40 gb sections.

History:
I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the partitions.
I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the 30gb system to
the one in the partition. All went well according to the packages. I
then selected the system in the partition as boot system and rebooted.
The system went to boot, the grey screen appeared with the dark grey
Apple logo and the rotating 'sunburst' below it - and nothing more.
I tried several more times but all with the same result. What's wrong?

Thanks for any help.
--Paul

P.S. Just what is the system file called and where is it located?
Is it one file as in OS9 or a collection of sveral parts?
0
pakob (33)

In article <090620071821538850%pakob@yahoo.com>,
 Paul K <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I successfully upgrated my system 10.3.7 to 10.3.9 but it will not
> now completely boot.
>
> Hardware: G4 400 AGP with original 30gb hd plus 120gb hd partioned
> into three 40 gb sections.
>
> History: I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the
> partitions. I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the
> 30gb system to the one in the partition.

Try upgrading the boot partition.  Copying system folders from one
partition to another will not copy all the contents of the folder.

If you want bootable partitions, install on each, don't copy.

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0
<pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:

> History:
> I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the partitions.

How, exactly, did you do this copy?

> I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the 30gb system to
> the one in the partition. All went well according to the packages. I
> then selected the system in the partition as boot system and rebooted.
> The system went to boot, the grey screen appeared with the dark grey
> Apple logo and the rotating 'sunburst' below it - and nothing more.
> I tried several more times but all with the same result. What's wrong?

Your copy of 10.3.7 was fucked.
0
dave16 (4224)
6/9/2007 11:00:58 PM
In article <michelle-982F66.15584409062007@news.east.cox.net>, Michelle
Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <090620071821538850%pakob@yahoo.com>,
>  Paul K <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I successfully upgrated my system 10.3.7 to 10.3.9 but it will not
> > now completely boot.
> >
> > Hardware: G4 400 AGP with original 30gb hd plus 120gb hd partioned
> > into three 40 gb sections.
> >
> > History: I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the
> > partitions. I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the
> > 30gb system to the one in the partition.
>
> Try upgrading the boot partition.  Copying system folders from one
> partition to another will not copy all the contents of the folder.
How do I install the system if I don't have original system disks?

> If you want bootable partitions, install on each, don't copy.
0
pakob (33)
6/9/2007 11:11:25 PM
In article <090620071700582355%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <090620071821538850%pakob@yahoo.com>, Paul K
> <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > History:
> > I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the partitions.
>
> How, exactly, did you do this copy?
I grabbed the System,Library and User folders and dragged them.

> > I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the 30gb system to
> > the one in the partition. All went well according to the packages. I
> > then selected the system in the partition as boot system and rebooted.
> > The system went to boot, the grey screen appeared with the dark grey
> > Apple logo and the rotating 'sunburst' below it - and nothing more.
> > I tried several more times but all with the same result. What's wrong?
>
> Your copy of 10.3.7 was fucked
Before the update, theh 10.3.7 systtem booted up and seemed to work ok.
0
pakob (33)
6/9/2007 11:11:31 PM
 Paul K <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:

> History:
> I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the partitions.
> I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the 30gb system to
> the one in the partition. All went well according to the packages. I
> then selected the system in the partition as boot system and rebooted.
> The system went to boot, the grey screen appeared with the dark grey
> Apple logo and the rotating 'sunburst' below it - and nothing more.
> I tried several more times but all with the same result. What's wrong?

Paul-

It is possible to copy the entire contents of one HD to another using
programs like Disk Utility or Carbon Copy Cloner, and have the resulting
HD be bootable.  However, I don't know how to just copy the OS.  It
isn't simply a matter of drag-copying the system folder like you did in
systems earlier than OS X.

It isn't clear if your partitioned HD is internal or external.  Some
external FireWire HDs aren't bootable, depending on the chipset used in
its interface electronics.  If it is an external USB HD, I've heard that
requires 10.4 to be bootable.

It sounds like your original 30gb HD still has its 10.3.7 OS intact.
Does it still boot?

Fred
0
fmmck (557)
6/9/2007 11:57:35 PM
In article <fmmck-9C28B5.19573509062007@nntp.aioe.org>, Fred McKenzie
<fmmck@aol.com> wrote:

> In article <090620071821538850%pakob@yahoo.com>,
>  Paul K <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > History:
> > I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the partitions.
> > I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the 30gb system to
> > the one in the partition. All went well according to the packages. I
> > then selected the system in the partition as boot system and rebooted.
> > The system went to boot, the grey screen appeared with the dark grey
> > Apple logo and the rotating 'sunburst' below it - and nothing more.
> > I tried several more times but all with the same result. What's wrong?
>
> Paul-
>
> It is possible to copy the entire contents of one HD to another using
> programs like Disk Utility or Carbon Copy Cloner, and have the resulting
> HD be bootable.  However, I don't know how to just copy the OS.  It
> isn't simply a matter of drag-copying the system folder like you did in
> systems earlier than OS X.
That's what I was afraid of .

> It isn't clear if your partitioned HD is internal or external.  Some
> external FireWire HDs aren't bootable, depending on the chipset used in
> its interface electronics.  If it is an external USB HD, I've heard that
> requires 10.4 to be bootable.
It is an internal disk.

> It sounds like your original 30gb HD still has its 10.3.7 OS intact.
> Does it still boot?
Yes it does, and yes it still boots (thanks for that).

I think I'll look for an install CD set and do it correctly.
Thanks of the comments.
--Paul

> Fred
0
pakob (33)
6/10/2007 12:04:12 AM
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 19:11:25 -0400, Paul Kobar wrote
(in article <090620071911257644%pakob@yahoo.com>):

> In article <michelle-982F66.15584409062007@news.east.cox.net>, Michelle
> Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
>
>> In article <090620071821538850%pakob@yahoo.com>,
>> Paul K <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I successfully upgrated my system 10.3.7 to 10.3.9 but it will not
>>> now completely boot.
>>>
>>> Hardware: G4 400 AGP with original 30gb hd plus 120gb hd partioned
>>> into three 40 gb sections.
>>>
>>> History: I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the
>>> partitions. I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the
>>> 30gb system to the one in the partition.
>>
>> Try upgrading the boot partition.  Copying system folders from one
>> partition to another will not copy all the contents of the folder.
> How do I install the system if I don't have original system disks?

How did you install OS X 10.3 on that machine in the first place without the
system discs?

>> If you want bootable partitions, install on each, don't copy.

try.not.to (2779)
6/10/2007 12:05:18 AM
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 19:11:31 -0400, Paul Kobar wrote
(in article <090620071911317991%pakob@yahoo.com>):

> In article <090620071700582355%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
> Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:
>
>> In article <090620071821538850%pakob@yahoo.com>, Paul K
>> <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> History:
>>> I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the partitions.
>>
>> How, exactly, did you do this copy?
> I grabbed the System,Library and User folders and dragged them.

That won't work. There are a rather large number of invisible items which
must be installed, not copied, for the system to boot.

>>> I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the 30gb system to
>>> the one in the partition. All went well according to the packages. I
>>> then selected the system in the partition as boot system and rebooted.
>>> The system went to boot, the grey screen appeared with the dark grey
>>> Apple logo and the rotating 'sunburst' below it - and nothing more.
>>> I tried several more times but all with the same result. What's wrong?
>>
>> Your copy of 10.3.7 was fucked
> Before the update, theh 10.3.7 systtem booted up and seemed to work ok.

Can you still boot from the original partition?

try.not.to (2779)
6/10/2007 12:06:45 AM
In article <0001HW.C290B8D5001C2265F058A648@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
J.J. O'Shea <try.not.to@but.see.sig> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 19:11:31 -0400, Paul Kobar wrote
> (in article <090620071911317991%pakob@yahoo.com>):
>
> > In article <090620071700582355%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
> > Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> >> How, exactly, did you do this copy?
> > I grabbed the System,Library and User folders and dragged them.
>
> That won't work. There are a rather large number of invisible items which
> must be installed, not copied, for the system to boot.
Ok, I didn't know that.

> >> Your copy of 10.3.7 was fucked
> > Before the update, theh 10.3.7 systtem booted up and seemed to work ok.
>
> Can you still boot from the original partition?
I can still boot from the unchanged original disk system.
0
pakob (33)
6/10/2007 12:43:33 AM
 Paul Kobar <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Try upgrading the boot partition.  Copying system folders from one
> > partition to another will not copy all the contents of the folder.
> How do I install the system if I don't have original system disks?

You can't.  What you can do, though, is use Carbon Copy Cloner or
Silverkeeper to make a copy; that should make a bootable copy.

But the best thing to do is to buy the install disks.

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0
michelle14 (19004)
6/10/2007 12:52:01 AM
In article <090620071911317991%pakob@yahoo.com>, Paul Kobar
<pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <090620071700582355%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
> Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:
>
> > In article <090620071821538850%pakob@yahoo.com>, Paul K
> > <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > History:
> > > I copied the 10.3.7 system from the 30gb hd to one of the partitions.
> >
> > How, exactly, did you do this copy?
> I grabbed the System,Library and User folders and dragged them.

That doesn't work in OS X.

> > > I applied Apple's updates to 10.3.8 then 10.3.9 from the 30gb system to
> > > the one in the partition. All went well according to the packages. I
> > > then selected the system in the partition as boot system and rebooted.
> > > The system went to boot, the grey screen appeared with the dark grey
> > > Apple logo and the rotating 'sunburst' below it - and nothing more.
> > > I tried several more times but all with the same result. What's wrong?
> >
> > Your copy of 10.3.7 was fucked
> Before the update, theh 10.3.7 systtem booted up and seemed to work ok.

The copy you made? By dragging? I call bullshit. No way did it boot and
work properly if you dragged.
0
dave16 (4224)
6/10/2007 3:03:52 AM
In article <michelle-AFEADE.17520109062007@news.east.cox.net>, Michelle
Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <090620071911257644%pakob@yahoo.com>,
>  Paul Kobar <pakob@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Try upgrading the boot partition.  Copying system folders from one
> > > partition to another will not copy all the contents of the folder.
> > How do I install the system if I don't have original system disks?
>
> You can't.  What you can do, though, is use Carbon Copy Cloner or
> Silverkeeper to make a copy; that should make a bootable copy.
That sounds like a solution - thanks a lot!