Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)'s App Store v1.3 (201)'s "Updates installed ..." section.

Hello.

I have a couple questions with the new Mavericks OS (clean install):

1. Is there a way to hide this "Updates Installed In The Last 30 Days"
section? It keeps confusing me that these are new updates available to
download and install until I read the section's title. :P I like how
Windows does its update history hidden at first and then I can view them
when I want to.

2. Is there a way to show more than 30 days when Mavericks' release is
over 30 days old?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "A centipede is an ant made to Canadian/government specs." --unknown
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)

Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a couple questions with the new Mavericks OS (clean install):
>
> 1. Is there a way to hide this "Updates Installed In The Last 30 Days"
> section? It keeps confusing me that these are new updates available to
> download and install until I read the section's title. :P I like how
> Windows does its update history hidden at first and then I can view them
> when I want to.
>
> 2. Is there a way to show more than 30 days when Mavericks' release is
> over 30 days old?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

No. This started with IOS7 for iPad and iPhone. Thankfully they did add
auto-update like on IOS7.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:pjonescet@comcast.net

Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see the updated iTunes v11.3?
Hello. I noticed there is a newer iTunes at v11.3, but for some reason my Mac OS X 10.8.5's AppStore v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see it. However, iTunes v11.2.2 (64-bit; 3) detected an update and offered me to get it (went to App Store which doesn't see it)? What's up? My Mac OS X 10.7.5 and 10.9.4 machines did not have this problem. Did anyone else run into this especially in 10.8.5? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Stan, are you OK?" --Francine; "Yeah. Hey, you look like ants from down here. Wait, wait, those are just ants on my eyes..." --Stan from American Dad's S3E15 (Stanny Slickers 2: The Legend of Ollie's Gold) deleted scene /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. In comp.sys.mac.system Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote: > I noticed there is a newer iTunes at v11.3, but for some reason my Mac > OS X 10.8.5's AppStore v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see it. However, iTunes > v11.2.2 (64-bit; 3) detected an update and offered me to get it (went to > App Store which doesn't see it)? What's up? I don't know, but I'm at iTunes 11.2.1, and the App Store hasn't done anything about that s...

The update "Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4" can't be installed."
Running 10.5.7 on a Intel MacBookPro I get the above message when trying to install the Java update 4 ver 1.0 which I received via Software Update a few minutes ago. I quit all other apps including browsers. There is no explanation. It just has a red exclamation point and says "Cannot be Installed", then "An Error Occurred during Installation". It would be nice if there was a clue. How do I find out what the problem is? TIA! -- YvonneinSonoma On 15 jun, 17:26, yvonnebow...@mac.com (Yvonne Bowers) wrote: > Running 10.5.7 on a Intel MacBookPro I get the above me...

Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store keeps offering the free 10.10 Mavericks...
Hello. Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store keeps offering the free 10.10 Mavericks when I manually check for updates. I right clicked and hid this update to make it go away. After I exit App Store and recheck for updates, it returns. Why is it not hiding? I don't want it! :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "Are you slower than an ant?" --Sai Yuk from The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk movie (English subtitles) /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | ...

3/Three usability issues in Mac OS X 10.8.5: Re(storing/covering) huge files from its Trash bin, renamed Time Machine's disk drive, and bring back Finder's sidebar external USB HDD icons?
Hi again. I just ran into a weird/an odd usability issue that bugged me in an updated Mac OS X 10.8.5 earlier: I tossed a huge 4.5 GB folder into Mac OS X 10.8.5's Trash bin. I decided to restore it back to the same exact place by dragging the folder back to the same place in Finder. However, it did a copy. Shouldn't it be a move? Isn't there a restore to the back place option? 2. I renamed an external HDD's name that was used for Time Machine (TM) back up. When I went to back up, it told me it couldn't. So, I looked at TM settings. I noticed it was looking for the old name even though it was the same exact disk. I told it to reuse the renamed disk to resume. Why is it that picky on my renamed disk drive? 3. Also, how do I get back Finder's sidebar icon for mounted external USB HDD? I accidently removed it. Unmounting and remounting doesn't make it come back. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Don't step on ants... they're people too." --a quote from ANTZ movie. /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In article <07edndf9S_Q_FszPnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>...

Panther: A Switcher's Guide to What's New in Mac OS X 10.3
http://www.theideabasket.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=76&page=0 Interesting article... Some quotes from the conclusion: "Panther isn't perfect, but it's damn close. It's overall the best operating system I have ever used. I might have said the same thing back when I first became a Switcher, but that was partially due to the fact that I was sick to death of dealing with Windows problems and I was sick to death of Microsoft's shady business practices." "The fact is that Apple, far from being a niche player in a race that it lost long ago, is healthi...

Study: Apple's Mac OS X 'world's safest and most secure' operating system
http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3766_0_1_0 AeoN wrote: > > http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3766_0_1_0 Taking after windopes in more ways than one. 1. Its not GNU/Linux and therefore nothing to do with Linux. 2. Its not free and you have to pay. 3. Its closed source. 2. I can't count. It is clearly world's safest and most secure operating system (not - only 80 holes fixed that last time they did a patch, so if there were 81 bugs, you are fscked now! - clever ain't it?) 5. So what happened when they started claiming their PCs were the...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Did Mac OS X 10.5.8's Airport Update reset anyone's AP to use?
Hello! I was doing big updates in Mac OS X 10.5.8 through its Software Update earlier on a client's MacBook Pro. After the required reboot, I noticed it went to an open AP (titled Linksys, duh) instead of the protected AP I was on earlier. I had to re-enter the datas and stuff even though it has a history of previous APs. Weird that it forgot the one it was just on! Did anyone experience that too with the latest Airport update? Thank you in advance. :) -- "An ant may work its (her) heart out, but it (she) can't make money." --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer. ...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

[why are trailing '\n's missing in "$x"]: x="$(printf "hi\n\n")"; printf "$x"
Ex ~ $ printf "hi\n\n"|cat -A hi$ $ ~ $ x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" ~ $ printf "$x"|cat -A hi~ $ Why are the trailing '\n's not in "$x"? Is there any way to stop this, w/o using a tempfile? -- thanks! On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: > x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" Best regards, Cyrus In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >> x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" > >x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" > >Best regards, >Cyrus Which is, at best, a pedantic nitpick, having nothing to do with OP's problem. In fact, ITYM: x="$(printf "%s\n\n" "hi")" (which still doesn't solve OP's problem, but at least demonstrates better pedantry) -- Watching ConservaLoons playing with statistics and facts is like watching a newborn play with a computer. Endlessly amusing, but totally unproductive. On 12/30/2013 12:00 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote: > In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, > Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >> On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >>> x="...

The "Tipping Point" for app's, ALL app's ?
tipping point - ************** noun The point at which a series of small ineffective changes acquires enough pressure or importance to cause a larger, more significant change. The point at which the buildup of minor incidents reaches a level that causes someone to do something they had formerly resisted. ---------------------------------------------------- Lots of Mac users, myself included, are impatiently waiting for the "tipping point" to be reached in lots of app's. ("MacSpeech Dictate" in particular) The point where the app's are _immediately...

ODD PROBLEM: "Shift-S" Doesn't work for upper case "S" Mac Mini
I was on my Mom's Mac Mini OSX 10.4.3 checking some email and found an odd problem. The only way to make an upper case "S" is to use the Caps Lock. "Shift S" Does nothing. Every other upper case letter works OK as normal. I thought it might be a hardware problem, so I tried a neighbor's Mac Keyboard, and the "Shift S" problem remained. Apparently, my Mom has been working around this problem with the Caps Lock key since she got the computer. I'm not much of a Mac person, did some snooping around for possible software problems, but came up short. My qu...

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non-certified workalike. So, to summarize: "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which includes Linux. "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily -- have an issue with the term "UNIX-like". (They can take a flying fsck.) "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it have to do with Linux? This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2". -v Unix minions, unite! On 2/9/14, 1:15 PM, in article ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me, "vallor" <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote: > From TOW[1]: > > The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX > trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems > compliant with its standard, the Single UN...

Needed "data processing magazine" also any of same topic are from 50's 60's 70's such as "Datamation", ACM conference proceedings, Early AFIPS, and others.
Needed "data processing magazine" also any of same topic are from 50's 60's 70's such as "Datamation", ACM conference proceedings, Early AFIPS, and others. Also have a requirement for any of the IRE - IEEE publications on early computing. Please advise All eras are fine prefer bound but... loose OK too. address is below. Thanks Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC - - See the Museum's Web Site at www.smecc.org Southwest Museum of Engineering, Communications and Computation Coury House / SMECC Library 5802 W. Palmaire Ave. ...

90's Game -- Spielberg's "Director's Chair"
This seems like a long shot (get it...long shot?) but is anybody reading this group familiar with a game called Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair from the mid-nineties? Actually, it's more of a movie- studio familiarizer than a game, per se, but it does have its strong points in terms of recreating a certain, Hollywood-y atmosphere. I'm curious because, when I run this program on a Windows 2000 box, I keep hitting an "Internal Error" during my first dip in The Lab. I can hear the first line of dialogue repeat about three times, then it shuts me down. Becau...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

'Here's the thing about Apple's "recent"�success.'
'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer, etc. Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, consumer ratings, etc.' <http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r ecent-success/> -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:alangbaker-70BC8E.10314523092011@news.shawcable.net... 'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the wor...

This happened to me when windows tried an auto update. I'm using 9.1.3 so it's "experimental". Any simple workarounds?
The following error message might be issued when attempting to produce output using ODS GRAPHICS or PROC SGRENDER: ERROR: Java virtual machine exception. java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/java/swing/SwingUtilities2. This problem is most likely to occur if SUN's Java JRE 1.6 or high is installed and the template that is being used to create the graph contains an ENTRYTITLE, ENTRYFOOTNOTE, or ENTRY statement. To circumvent the problem, remove Version 1.6 of Sun's Java JRE. On Feb 24, 3:14=A0pm, Bruce <bhthoma...@gmail.com> wrote: > The following error message mig...

Is anyone else having problems connecting to Mac OS Xes' App Store's Updates right now?
Hello. Is anyone else also having problems with Mac OS Xes' App Store's Updates right now? I am getting "An error has occurred -- Didn't get a response from the Apple Software Update server." error in Mac OS X v10.8.5 and v10.10.5 machines on two different ISPs. https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/ says no problems. :( Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?" --unknown Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly. ...

Just bought obtained new external hard drive
As per subject I want to use it at home (on Mac) and at uni (on Windows) Will the Windows machine be able to read it? Or will it have to be wiped & made FAT32. I know with FAT32 I can't have a single file larger than 4GB, which is a problem if I want to create a truecrypt image that is 10GB big. If I can't read it on a standard Windows machine, can I get special freeware that will allow it to be read? (and won't slow down too much) (I think I know the answer as Macs can read iPods formatted for both PC & Mac, but PCs can only read iPods formatted for Windows) sp...

Finder's "copy" and shell's "cp" hang
Weird problem... I have a drive -- which I suspect has physical problems and is therefore the root of the problem -- contain quite a number of my photography. Perhaps a half-year's worth of work. While trying to consolidate and organize all of my photos, I ran into a problem whereby Finder hangs when trying to move certain files. The rotten part is that I can't stop the copy (by hitting the x in the copy progress window). I can't even kill off the process (via term's "killall Finder" or "kill -9 [pid]." Finder just hangs. The only solution that I'...

Mac OS X 'worm': "Leap-A"
http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=3D1415489 cheers, Erik Richard --=20 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ KMLDenmark by Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC <kmldenmark_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk> *Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities *Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired *Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 02:27:02 +0100, Erik Richard S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk&...

How come Mac OS X 10.5's Software Update doesn't show a total time ETA and size?
Hello. I noticed when downloading big updates from Mac OS X 10.5's Software Update, it doesn't show the TOTAL time left and size. It only shows the individual updates (e.g., iTunes). Is there a way to show the totals especially when downloading takes forever? Thank you in advance. :) -- "The foreign policy aim of ants can be summed up as follows: restless aggression, territorial conquest, and genocidal annihilation of neighboring colonies whenever possible. If ants had nuclear weapons, they would probably end the world in a week." --Journey to the Ants, ...

PC World - "It's hard to deny the evidence
BAWAWAAA!!!!! GNU/Linux - I hate it already!!! http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999-2/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html October 17, 2010 6:00 PM Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead By Robert Strohmeyer, PCWorld End of the Road? It has been a long trek since Linus Torvalds wrote the first Linux kernel as a college project in 1992, and the landscape has shifted considerably along the way. Despite grim prospects on the desktop, Linux has clearly asserted itself as a major platform that's here to stay. And of course, passionate open-source proponents will rightly sta...

Web resources about - Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)'s App Store v1.3 (201)'s "Updates installed ..." section. - comp.sys.mac.system