f



Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 and SMB

I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server.  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet, every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:

   There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
   You do not have permission to access this server.

If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
I have no problem mounting the specific volume.

In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.

I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?  I clicked on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the Permissions tab.

Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?  Thanks.
0
Jack
1/31/2014 6:10:34 AM
comp.sys.mac.system 33446 articles. 2 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9455) is leader. Post Follow

7 Replies
2283 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 21

In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>,
 Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server. 
>  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet, 
> every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
> 
>    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
>    You do not have permission to access this server.
> 
> If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
> I have no problem mounting the specific volume.
> 
> In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I 
> don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.
> 
> I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?  I clicked 
> on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share 
> and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the 
> Permissions tab.
> 
> Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?  
> Thanks.

At some point, I think Apple stopped using Samba because of licensing 
issues (just like gcc).  At some point, Windows changed the SMB protocol 
and MacOS still used the older version. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3208098?start=45&tstart=0

-- 
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...
[I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]


0
Michael
1/31/2014 6:44:20 AM
In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>,
 Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server. 
>  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet, 
> every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
> 
>    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
>    You do not have permission to access this server.
> 
> If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
> I have no problem mounting the specific volume.
> 
> In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I 
> don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.
> 
> I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?  I clicked 
> on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share 
> and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the 
> Permissions tab.
> 
> Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?  
> Thanks.

Check out SMBUp:

Good for downloads:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/41541/smbup 

Author's site:
http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

[Note: I see that this needs 10.7 or better]
-- 
Where's the Vangelis music?
Pris' tongue is sticking out in in the wide shot after Batty has kissed her.
They have put back more tits into the Zhora dressing  room scene.
  -- notes for Blade Runner
0
Warren
1/31/2014 2:54:21 PM
Salut Jack

In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>,
 Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server. 
>  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet, 
> every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
> 
>    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
>    You do not have permission to access this server.
> 
> If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
> I have no problem mounting the specific volume.

why would you want to connect with smb if your machine can talk afp?
I would use smb only for computers that cannot talk afp ;-)
What OS is the client running?

In Workgroup Manager I would try adding the the group "Workgroup" to the 
users who need to connect via smb
> 
> In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I 
> don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.
> 
> I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right? 

yes, or a subset

> I clicked 
> on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share 
> and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the 
> Permissions tab.

And what are the permissions?
> 
> Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?  
> Thanks.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/PH8599>
<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4075296>

Cheers
Andreas

-- 
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch> 
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung
<mailto:andreas@MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47
0
Andreas
2/1/2014 8:11:57 AM
On Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:11:57 AM UTC-8, Andreas Rutishauser wrote:
> Salut Jack
> 
>  
> In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>, 
>  Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>  
> > I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server. 
> >  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet, 
> > every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
> 
> 
> >    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
> >    You do not have permission to access this server.
> 
> 
> > If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp:// 
> > I have no problem mounting the specific volume.
> 
>  
> why would you want to connect with smb if your machine can talk afp?
> I would use smb only for computers that cannot talk afp ;-)


I need it for Windows computers to connect with SMB.


 
> What OS is the client running?

OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)



> In Workgroup Manager I would try adding the the group "Workgroup" to the 
> 
> users who need to connect via smb

I just tried that but, alas, the same error surfaced.



> > In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I  
> > don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller. 
> > I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right? 
> 
>  
> yes, or a subset
> 
>  
> > I clicked  
> > on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share  
> > and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the 
> > Permissions tab.
> 
> 
> And what are the permissions?

The user, whose password I created, has group membership in WORKGROUP, SEM and staff (the last of which all users belong).

The volume being served is called /Office and it has perms 755.  Those perms have always worked for all users who mount this volume with AFP.

The folder in /Office entitled SEM, which he needs access to, has perms 775 which should allow only members of his group, SEM, to be able to write to.

I also have ACLs set on the folder entitled SEM.

user=sem
list="list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit"
chmod -R +a "user:$user allow $list" ../SEM

Thanks for your help, Andreas.


> > Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?   
> > Thanks.
> 
>  
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/PH8599>
> 
> <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4075296>
> 
>  
> Cheers 
> Andreas
> 
> 
> -- 
> MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch> 
> EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk 
> Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung 
> <mailto:andreas@MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47
0
Jack
2/3/2014 10:56:50 PM
In article <fcd53854-f61c-4edd-8575-4f7d73be12f6@googlegroups.com>,
 Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:11:57 AM UTC-8, Andreas Rutishauser wrote:
> > Salut Jack
> > 
> >  
> > In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>, 
> >  Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 
> >  
> > > I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard 
> > > Server. 
> > >  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and 
> > >  yet, 
> > > every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
> > 
> > 
> > >    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
> > >    You do not have permission to access this server.
> > 
> > 
> > > If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp:// 
> > > I have no problem mounting the specific volume.
> > 
> >  
> > why would you want to connect with smb if your machine can talk afp?
> > I would use smb only for computers that cannot talk afp ;-)
> 
> 
> I need it for Windows computers to connect with SMB.
> 
> 
>  
> > What OS is the client running?
> 
> OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
> 
> 
> 
> > In Workgroup Manager I would try adding the the group "Workgroup" to the 
> > 
> > users who need to connect via smb
> 
> I just tried that but, alas, the same error surfaced.
> 
> 
> 
> > > In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I 
> > >  
> > > don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller. 
> > > I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right? 
> > 
> >  
> > yes, or a subset
> > 
> >  
> > > I clicked  
> > > on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to 
> > > share  
> > > and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the 
> > > Permissions tab.
> > 
> > 
> > And what are the permissions?
> 
> The user, whose password I created, has group membership in WORKGROUP, SEM 
> and staff (the last of which all users belong).
> 
> The volume being served is called /Office and it has perms 755.  Those perms 
> have always worked for all users who mount this volume with AFP.
> 
> The folder in /Office entitled SEM, which he needs access to, has perms 775 
> which should allow only members of his group, SEM, to be able to write to.
> 
> I also have ACLs set on the folder entitled SEM.
> 
> user=sem
> list="list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,chown,file_inh
> erit,directory_inherit"
> chmod -R +a "user:$user allow $list" ../SEM
> 
> Thanks for your help, Andreas.
> 
> 
> > > Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly? 
> > >   
> > > Thanks.
> > 
> >  
> > <http://support.apple.com/kb/PH8599>
> > 
> > <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4075296>
> > 
> >  
> > Cheers 
> > Andreas
> > 
> > 
> > -- 
> > MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch> 
> > EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk 
> > Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung 
> > <mailto:andreas@MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47

You realize that after 10.7, Apple stopped supporting the Samba code and 
"rolled their own".  Because of licensing issues (Apple didn't like GPL 
V3), they offer SMBX and with 10.9, SMB2.  But you have to specify this 
when you start the server. Many of the older systems don't work very 
will with SMBX or SMB2 until you configure the server correctly.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/11/apple-shifts-from-afp-file-shar
ing-to-smb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks

-- 
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...
[I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]


0
Michael
2/4/2014 3:05:26 PM
On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:05:26 AM UTC-8, Michael Vilain wrote:
> In article <fcd53854-f61c-4edd-8575-4f7d73be12f6@googlegroups.com>,
>=20
>  Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > On Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:11:57 AM UTC-8, Andreas Rutishauser wr=
ote:
>=20
> > > Salut Jack
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > =20
>=20
> > > In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>,=
=20
>=20
> > >  Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > =20
>=20
> > > > I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopa=
rd=20
>=20
> > > > Server.=20
>=20
> > > >  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on =
and=20
>=20
> > > >  yet,=20
>=20
> > > > every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > >    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
>=20
> > > >    You do not have permission to access this server.
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > > If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to =
afp://=20
>=20
> > > > I have no problem mounting the specific volume.
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > =20
>=20
> > > why would you want to connect with smb if your machine can talk afp?
>=20
> > > I would use smb only for computers that cannot talk afp ;-)
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > I need it for Windows computers to connect with SMB.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > =20
>=20
> > > What OS is the client running?
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > > In Workgroup Manager I would try adding the the group "Workgroup" to =
the=20
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > users who need to connect via smb
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > I just tried that but, alas, the same error surfaced.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > > > In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" bec=
ause I=20
>=20
> > > > =20
>=20
> > > > don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controlle=
r.=20
>=20
> > > > I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?=20
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > =20
>=20
> > > yes, or a subset
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > =20
>=20
> > > > I clicked =20
>=20
> > > > on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired =
to=20
>=20
> > > > share =20
>=20
> > > > and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the=
=20
>=20
> > > > Permissions tab.
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > And what are the permissions?
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > The user, whose password I created, has group membership in WORKGROUP, =
SEM=20
>=20
> > and staff (the last of which all users belong).
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > The volume being served is called /Office and it has perms 755.  Those =
perms=20
>=20
> > have always worked for all users who mount this volume with AFP.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > The folder in /Office entitled SEM, which he needs access to, has perms=
 775=20
>=20
> > which should allow only members of his group, SEM, to be able to write =
to.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > I also have ACLs set on the folder entitled SEM.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > user=3Dsem
>=20
> > list=3D"list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,chown=
,file_inh
>=20
> > erit,directory_inherit"
>=20
> > chmod -R +a "user:$user allow $list" ../SEM
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Thanks for your help, Andreas.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > > > Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and cl=
early?=20
>=20
> > > >  =20
>=20
> > > > Thanks.
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > =20
>=20
> > > <http://support.apple.com/kb/PH8599>
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4075296>
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > =20
>=20
> > > Cheers=20
>=20
> > > Andreas
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > --=20
>=20
> > > MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>=20
>=20
> > > EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk=20
>=20
> > > Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung=20
>=20
> > > <mailto:andreas@MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47
>=20
>=20
>=20
> You realize that after 10.7, Apple stopped supporting the Samba code and=
=20
>=20
> "rolled their own".  Because of licensing issues (Apple didn't like GPL=
=20
>=20
> V3), they offer SMBX and with 10.9, SMB2.  But you have to specify this=
=20
>=20
> when you start the server. Many of the older systems don't work very=20
>=20
> will with SMBX or SMB2 until you configure the server correctly.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/11/apple-shifts-from-afp-file-shar
>=20
> ing-to-smb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks

Hi Michael,

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts but I'm pretty sure that new versions such=
 as 10.8 or 10.9 would not be the problem when my client and server are bot=
h 10.6 Snow Leopard and I doubt very much that it would be a problem with a=
 Windows client to a Mac mini running OSX Server 10.6.  Thanks again.

0
Jack
2/4/2014 7:23:15 PM
Michael Vilain <vilain@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> At some point, Windows changed the SMB protocol 
> and MacOS still used the older version. 
> 
> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3208098?start=45&tstart=0

Until proof of the opposite, there is backward compatibility between
SMB2 and SMB.

<http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2008/12/05/smb2-a-complete-redesign-of-the-main-remote-file-protocol-for-windows.aspx>

-- 
Jacques Perrocheau
______________________________________________________________________
0
jperrocheau
2/8/2014 8:35:09 PM
Reply: