Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 and SMB

I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server.  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet, every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:

   There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"

If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
I have no problem mounting the specific volume.

In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.

I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?  I clicked on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the Permissions tab.

Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?  Thanks.
0
Jack

In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>,
 Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server.
>  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet,
> every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
>
>    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
>
> If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
> I have no problem mounting the specific volume.
>
> In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I
> don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.
>
> I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?  I clicked
> on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share
> and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the
> Permissions tab.
>
> Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?
> Thanks.

At some point, I think Apple stopped using Samba because of licensing
issues (just like gcc).  At some point, Windows changed the SMB protocol
and MacOS still used the older version.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3208098?start=45&tstart=0

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Michael
1/31/2014 6:44:20 AM
In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>,
 Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server.
>  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet,
> every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
>
>    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
>
> If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
> I have no problem mounting the specific volume.
>
> In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I
> don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.
>
> I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?  I clicked
> on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share
> and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the
> Permissions tab.
>
> Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?
> Thanks.

Check out SMBUp:

Good for downloads:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/41541/smbup

Author's site:
http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

[Note: I see that this needs 10.7 or better]
--
Where's the Vangelis music?
Pris' tongue is sticking out in in the wide shot after Batty has kissed her.

In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>,
 Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server.
>  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet,
> every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
>
>    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
>
> If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
> I have no problem mounting the specific volume.

why would you want to connect with smb if your machine can talk afp?
I would use smb only for computers that cannot talk afp ;-)
What OS is the client running?

In Workgroup Manager I would try adding the the group "Workgroup" to the
users who need to connect via smb

> In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I
> don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.
>
> I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?

yes, or a subset

> I clicked
> on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share
> and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the
> Permissions tab.

And what are the permissions?

> Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?
> Thanks.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/PH8599>
<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4075296>

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
On Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:11:57 AM UTC-8, Andreas Rutishauser wrote:
> Salut Jack
>

> In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>,
>  Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard Server.
> >  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and yet,
> > every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
>

> >    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
>

> > If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
> > I have no problem mounting the specific volume.
>

> why would you want to connect with smb if your machine can talk afp?
> I would use smb only for computers that cannot talk afp ;-)

I need it for Windows computers to connect with SMB.

> What OS is the client running?

OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

> In Workgroup Manager I would try adding the the group "Workgroup" to the
>
> users who need to connect via smb

I just tried that but, alas, the same error surfaced.

> > In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I
> > don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.
> > I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?
>

> yes, or a subset
>

> > I clicked
> > on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to share
> > and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the
> > Permissions tab.
>

> And what are the permissions?

The user, whose password I created, has group membership in WORKGROUP, SEM and staff (the last of which all users belong).

The volume being served is called /Office and it has perms 755.  Those perms have always worked for all users who mount this volume with AFP.

The folder in /Office entitled SEM, which he needs access to, has perms 775 which should allow only members of his group, SEM, to be able to write to.

I also have ACLs set on the folder entitled SEM.

user=sem
list="list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit"
chmod -R +a "user:$user allow $list" ../SEM

Thanks for your help, Andreas.

> > Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?
> > Thanks.
>

> <http://support.apple.com/kb/PH8599>
>
> <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4075296>
>

> Cheers
> Andreas
>

> --
> MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
> EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
> Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung
> <mailto:andreas@MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47
0
Jack
2/3/2014 10:56:50 PM
In article <fcd53854-f61c-4edd-8575-4f7d73be12f6@googlegroups.com>,
 Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:11:57 AM UTC-8, Andreas Rutishauser wrote:
> > Salut Jack
> >

> > In article <6e725f78-ec34-4944-b37f-93d5e9860561@googlegroups.com>,
> >  Jack Shown <jackshown@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > I am trying to get SMB server to work in Server Admin on Snow Leopard
> > > Server.
> > >  The AFP server works.  No problem.  However, I have SMB turned on and
> > >  yet,
> > > every time I try to connect from another Mac, I get:
> >

> > >    There was a problem connecting to the server "myserver.domain"
> >

> > > If I then change the URL in "Connect to Server ..." from smb:// to afp://
> > > I have no problem mounting the specific volume.
> >

> > why would you want to connect with smb if your machine can talk afp?
> > I would use smb only for computers that cannot talk afp ;-)
>

> I need it for Windows computers to connect with SMB.
>

> > What OS is the client running?
>
> OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
>

> > In Workgroup Manager I would try adding the the group "Workgroup" to the
> >
> > users who need to connect via smb
>
> I just tried that but, alas, the same error surfaced.
>

> > > In Server Admin, I have the Role defined as "Standalone Server" because I
> > >
> > > don't need it for anything such as being a Primary Domain Controller.
> > > I can use the same share point as I have defined for AFP, right?
> >

> > yes, or a subset
> >

> > > I clicked
> > > on "Share Points" in the tool bar, clicked the share point desired to
> > > share
> > > and then dragged the users desired for this to the window under the
> > > Permissions tab.
> >

> > And what are the permissions?
>
> The user, whose password I created, has group membership in WORKGROUP, SEM
> and staff (the last of which all users belong).
>
> The volume being served is called /Office and it has perms 755.  Those perms
> have always worked for all users who mount this volume with AFP.
>
> The folder in /Office entitled SEM, which he needs access to, has perms 775
> which should allow only members of his group, SEM, to be able to write to.
>
> I also have ACLs set on the folder entitled SEM.
>
> user=sem
> list="list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,chown,file_inh
> erit,directory_inherit"
> chmod -R +a "user:$user allow $list" ../SEM
>
> Thanks for your help, Andreas.
>

> > > Is there anywhere on the web that explains this setup simply and clearly?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >

> > <http://support.apple.com/kb/PH8599>
> >
> > <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4075296>
> >

> > Cheers
> > Andreas
> >

> > --
> > MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
> > EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
> > Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung
> > <mailto:andreas@MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47

You realize that after 10.7, Apple stopped supporting the Samba code and
"rolled their own".  Because of licensing issues (Apple didn't like GPL
V3), they offer SMBX and with 10.9, SMB2.  But you have to specify this
when you start the server. Many of the older systems don't work very
will with SMBX or SMB2 until you configure the server correctly.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/11/apple-shifts-from-afp-file-shar
ing-to-smb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Michael
2/4/2014 3:05:26 PM
On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:05:26 AM UTC-8, Michael Vilain wrote:
> [...]
>=20
> > > =20
>=20
> > > yes, or a subset
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > =20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > >=20
>=20
> > > And what are the permissions?
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > The user, whose password I created, has group membership in WORKGROUP, =
SEM=20
> [...]
> > > Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung=20
>=20
> > > <mailto:andreas@MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47
>=20
>=20
>=20
> You realize that after 10.7, Apple stopped supporting the Samba code and=
=20
>=20
> "rolled their own".  Because of licensing issues (Apple didn't like GPL=
=20
>=20
> V3), they offer SMBX and with 10.9, SMB2.  But you have to specify this=
=20
>=20
> when you start the server. Many of the older systems don't work very=20
>=20
> will with SMBX or SMB2 until you configure the server correctly.

Hi Michael,

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts but I'm pretty sure that new versions such=
 as 10.8 or 10.9 would not be the problem when my client and server are bot=
h 10.6 Snow Leopard and I doubt very much that it would be a problem with a=
 Windows client to a Mac mini running OSX Server 10.6.  Thanks again.

0
Jack
2/4/2014 7:23:15 PM
Michael Vilain <vilain@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> At some point, Windows changed the SMB protocol
> and MacOS still used the older version.
>
> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3208098?start=45&tstart=0

Until proof of the opposite, there is backward compatibility between
SMB2 and SMB.

<http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2008/12/05/smb2-a-complete-redesign-of-the-main-remote-file-protocol-for-windows.aspx>

--
Jacques Perrocheau
jperrocheau

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Recent Articles,, * Amazon offering Mac OS X Snow Leopard Family Pack for $36.49, * Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, the first update to the Snow Leopard operating system, * Gartner: Exchange
http://switchtoamac.com/site/survey-indicates-that-50-of-us-it-pros-are-considering-abandoning-windows-likely-to-switch-to-apples-mac-os-x.html http://tinyurl.com/ybrbgek A June 12, 2009 CNNMoney.com article titled 'Can Windows 7 save PCs?", David Goldman writes about Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 operating system. The article discusses the PC slump and highlights a March survey conducted by Dimension Research that indicates that 50% of respondents are likely to dump Windows in favor of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Noteworthy quotes form the article ...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. &...

Mac Security: Firmware Updates In Mac OS X 10.4.6
Apple have released two articles regarding an update to the firmware in BOTH EFI using Macs (Macintels) AND OpenFirmware using Macs (PPCs). These firmware updates are part of the Mac OS X 10.4.6 update. They result in the following: - EFI Macs will boot a second time after the 10.4.6 update is installed. - OF Macs will boot a second AND third time after the 10.4.5 update is installed. So, when you get these extra reboots, don't worry. You are not on Windows. These are just firmware updates. Why the updates? To provide better security when using firmware passwords. Here are the t...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

54g Wireless
Hi there, I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it? Thanks Wesley Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish > IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit W...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

54g Wireless
Hi there, I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it? Thanks Wesley Blue Wezza wrote: > Hi there, > > I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish > IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the ...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

Ethernet under mac os 7.6 & mac os 8
Hi, I tried fitting my umax c600 mac clone (PPC 603e@240Mhz circa '96-'97) with a 10BaseT PCI ethernet card I bought over ebay. The card ( http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9744680029&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 ) has several chips on it, the biggest of which says: digital(TM) 21041-PA 21-40756-03 (c) DEC 1996 DC1044E A 9705 JL0660. I've fitted it into one of the PCi slots, connected it to my router using a cat5e cable (that I know is working) and turned on the computer. The green led next to the RJ-45 jack didn't lit up (first sig...

Error trying to make Tk.pm on Mac OS X 10.6.8
Using cpan to install Tk (which defaults to 804.29), using a terminal window on Mac OS X, the many compiles proceed normally until near the end it reachs libpng, then fails with gcc-4.2: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed with multiple -arch flags Any suggestions? The complete command in error is gcc-4.2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -DPNG_CONFIGURE_LIBPNG - DPNG_NO_ASSEMBLER_CODE -arch x86_64 -arch i386 -arch ppc -g -pipe -fno- common -DPERL_DARWIN -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -MT libpng12_la-png.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libpng12_la-png.Tpo -c png.c -...

Problem with Helvetica font on Mac OS X/Mac OS 9 System
I'm working with a Mac which has Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.2 running on top of the X. I use MS Word and Pagemaker and there's a problem with helvetica italic not displaying consistently. I mean, without any intervention, some days it's visible, other days it's not. I thought maybe it was due to not having the font file, but it seems we do have it. I don't know if this is related, but Adobe Type Manager has also popped up lately complaining about not having enough cache memory. I looked at the setting and it was 2MB already, but increased it to 3 MB yesterday. It seems to have...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) ...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/lin...

VueScan 7.6.65 - Epson 2450
The scanner is unchanged, but I have been upgrading both VueScan and OS X. Now VueScan no longer recognizes the scanner. It is there. I can scan with Epson's software, but VueScan isn't seeing it. The last time I scanned I was using 10.2.6 or earlier. I don't recall the VueScan release but it was probably in the high 30s or 40s. Anybody have a fix? -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 rbpeirce@adelphia.net [Mac] rbp@cooksonpeirce.com [Office] "Robert Peirce" <rbpeirce@adelphia.net> wrote: > The scanner is unchanged, but I hav...

Connect an old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to MacBook Pros (Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2)?
Hello. My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser. I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect. Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for the newer ones like 10.8.2. :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon the ant." --Indian /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In message <BI2dnW0DCvEIkhvNnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@earthlink.com> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote: > Hello. > My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old > parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet > printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser. > I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect. It would be cheaper to buy a decent laser printer, and you'd get a scanner and duplex and faxing <spit> in the bargin. Oh, and...

Network Mac OS 8.6 to OS 10.4
Hello, all! I have a Power Mac 7500 for which I recently found a 50 GB hard drive, to upgrade it to Yellow Dog Linux, but the hard drive hadn't arrived yet, so I began playing around with OS 8.6. I have my OS 10.4 iBook hooked up to Ethernet at my office at school, and I have it set up to accept remote login, ftp and remote Apple events and have logged in many times from my roommate's Compaq; I fired up the Chooser and tried logging in from the OS 8.6 box, only to find to my horror that 10.4 would not accept respond to the connection. I checked with the Compaq, and *it* only w...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Image processing with Scilab 5.4 on Mac OS X 10.6.8
Hi, I would like to do some simple image processing with Scilab on Mac OS 10.6.8 - which toolbox can I install in a reasonable amount of time and how? Edmund Le mardi 6 novembre 2012 01:58:28 UTC+1, edmund a =E9crit=A0: > I would like to do some simple image processing with Scilab on Mac OS 10= ..6.8 - which toolbox can I install in a reasonable amount of time and how?= =20 None of available ones: http://atoms.scilab.org/categories/image_processing Supported OSes are indicated on each page. Mac OS never appears... Samuel ...

Web resources about - Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 and SMB - comp.sys.mac.system

Server farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A server farm or server cluster is a collection of computer servers usually maintained by an enterprise to accomplish server needs far beyond ...

FBI grants immunity to Clinton staffer who set up email server
This could be the beginning of the end for Hillary’s political career, with the now immunized Bryan Pagliano, no mere IT tech, but rather a member ...

US gives immunity to State Dept staffer who set up Clinton email server: WashPost
... U.S. Justice Department has given immunity from prosecution to a State Department employee who helped set up and manage the private email server ...

Pirates hack into shipping company’s servers to identify booty
Pirates used backdoor in shipping company's website to target freighters.

Top 11 Emails From The Final Batch Of Clinton’s Private Server Emails
By America Rising Today the last batch of Clinton emails from her illicit, private server were released by the State Department. Of the 1,723 ...

Report: Worker who helped set up Clinton email server gets immunity
State Department employee Bryan Pagliano worked on Clinton's private email server at her Chappaqua, N.Y.

DOJ grants immunity to ex-Clinton staffer who set up email server
Bryan Pagliano, a former Clinton staffer who helped set up her private email server, has accepted an immunity offer from the FBI and the Justice ...

DOJ grants immunity to ex-Clinton staffer who set up email server
CNN International DOJ grants immunity to ex-Clinton staffer who set up email server CNN International Washington (CNN) Bryan Pagliano, a former ...

Ex-Hillary Clinton staffer, who set up email server, granted immunity by DOJ - CNNPolitics.com
Bryan Pagliano, a former Hillary Clinton staffer who helped set up her private email server, has accepted an immunity offer from the FBI and ...

Justice Department Grants Immunity To Hillary Clinton’s Email Server Technician
Justice Department Grants Immunity To Hillary Clinton’s Email Server Technician