mac to mac connection

Hi,

PBG3 400 OS 10.3

I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9,
and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help,
but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect
to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser.

I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe
that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening.

Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ?

thanks indeed

Chris Brown
Neurosurgery
University of Adelaide

0
cbrown2 (344)

In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.net>,
 Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> PBG3 400 OS 10.3
>
> I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9,
> and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help,
> but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect
> to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser.
>
> I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe
> that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening.
>
> Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ?
>

> thanks indeed
>
> Chris Brown
> Neurosurgery
> University of Adelaide

Chris, things won't necessarily connect automagically. First, you have
to turn on "File Sharing" on both machines. If you have an OS 9 box,
when you turn on File Sharing you also have to enable file sharing over
TCP/IP in the file sharing window.

On a OS 9 box, you have to either log in as "GUEST" or make a "USER"
with the name of the other box you want to log in to the OS 9 Box. You
also have to select the volume(Disk Drives that you want the client to
be able to see) and then set their permissions. That is select the Drive
then look under FILE, then go to sharing and set the permissions(read,
read/write, etc.)

in OS X, go under System Preferences and look for File Sharing and you
have to turn it on and in the window below, set the kind of sharing you
want to enable.

You have not indicated which PB or  desktops you have. Newer Macs don't
need transfer/crossover cables as they auto sense and configure the
ethernet port.

Any more questions, email me or post here.

--
Regards,
JP

0
jpolaski2 (4002)
1/21/2004 12:49:35 AM
>>PBG3 400 OS 10.3
>>
>>I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9,
>>and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help...

> Chris, things won't necessarily connect automagically. First, you have
> to turn on "File Sharing" on both machines. If you have an OS 9 box,
> when you turn on File Sharing you also have to enable file sharing over
> TCP/IP in the file sharing window.
>
> On a OS 9 box, you have to either log in as "GUEST" or make a "USER"
> with the name of the other box you want to log in to the OS 9 Box. You
> also have to select the volume(Disk Drives that you want the client to
> be able to see) and then set their permissions. That is select the Drive
> then look under FILE, then go to sharing and set the permissions(read,
> read/write, etc.)
>
> in OS X, go under System Preferences and look for File Sharing and you
> have to turn it on and in the window below, set the kind of sharing you
> want to enable.
>
> You have not indicated which PB or  desktops you have. Newer Macs don't
> need transfer/crossover cables as they auto sense and configure the
> ethernet port.
>
> Any more questions, email me or post here.

Hi Jim,

thank you for replying.

I have a PowerBook G3 Lombard with OS10.3, I want to connect to OS9
machines. I have been trying to do this with a crossover cable, as I
have many times in the past between OS 9 macs. In the course of
investigating the variations, the same problem applies over the Uni LAN.

over the local network;
I can see and connect to my PB from 3 other OS9 macs within the same subnet.
I can connect between the OS 9 macs
form my PB however, I can not see any of the OS 9 macs, but I can see
one OS X imac

which is similar to my problems with a direct crossover connection
an OS 9 mac can see and mount my PB, but the reverse doesn't happen

my settings are:
on OS9 machine  OS9.1 (beige 7200/75)
Sharing:
newtork Identity.. Theater Mac
Owner.................. Chris Brown
pw........................
File Sharing....... on
allow file sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP........ checked
afp://169.254.124.16/

Hard drive:
share this item, owner (cb) read & write

AppleTalk.......... Ethernet
TCP/IP................ DHCP server

Chooser:
can see PBG3 Lombard (OS10.3), Nsurg Graphics (OS9)....
can log onto these, and transfer files

I have my powerbook configured as you outlined; have File Sharing ON,
and tried with Personal file sharing , and windows file sharing checked.
It seems to be something to do with OS9? as I can see the one OSX mac
via Network>Local

thanks for taking the time to respond.

regards

Chris

0
cbrown2 (344)
1/21/2004 5:33:29 AM
Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> I have a PowerBook G3 Lombard with OS10.3, I want to connect to OS9
> machines. I have been trying to do this with a crossover cable, as I
> have many times in the past between OS 9 macs. In the course of
> investigating the variations, the same problem applies over the Uni LAN.

Lots of straightforward netwoking advice at:

http://www.atpm.com/network/index.html

--
Adrian
Adrian W wrote:
> Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
>

>>I have a PowerBook G3 Lombard with OS10.3, I want to connect to OS9
>>machines. I have been trying to do this with a crossover cable, as I
>>have many times in the past between OS 9 macs. In the course of
>>investigating the variations, the same problem applies over the Uni LAN.
>

> Lots of straightforward netwoking advice at:
>
> http://www.atpm.com/network/index.html

Hi Adrian,

thanks for the site. No OSX info unfortuantely.

regards

Chris

0
cbrown2 (344)

To Mac or not to Mac?

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Mac to mac

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

Help! iSync mac to mac

Phyless MAC to MAC connection
I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between an MPC8270 with a Wintegra 787 using a phyless MAC-to-MAC connection. On the MPC8270 we are using an FCC for this. I am using VxWorks 5.5 for this project. Can anyone tell me if I need to change VxWorks End Driver to make this happen. From what I understand currently, when the End Driver is initialized there is no initialization string which can indicate that there is no PHY out there. Has anyone implemented this before? Thanks, - Manish M Trojan wrote: > I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between ...

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM -g -O2 -o fileinfo fileinfo.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgtk-12 -lgdk-12 -lgmodule-12 -lglib-12 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms /usr/lib/libmac.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgthread-12.so.3: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. However i've managed to fix this by deleting the extracts files, re-extracting the files again, adding -lpthread to the configure.in file and then running autoconf to regenerate the configure script before compiling. # diff starts here --- configure.in.old Sun Dec 10 14:24:01 2006 +++ configure.in Sun Dec 10 14:24:...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

change mac address get mac address spoofing mac address find computer by mac address
Mac Address Spoofing Report Victor J. Canny D. Abstract: Mac address can uniquely identifies each node of a network, ISPs and network administrators use mac address to manage their pc users. PC users may want to spoof mac address so that he need not to contact with ISP for a new network interface card (NIC); PC users may want to hide his mac address so that totally hide his information on the internet. Introduction Mac address, short for Media Access Control address, is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. It means, in a local area network (LAN) or oth...

Looking for used MAC system to learn MACs
Hello, I am looking for recommendations for a used MAC system that I can use to learn MACs. I have used Unix and Linux for the past 20 years, but I'd like to understand a little more about how they work. I have been looking at some used G4 and G5 systems, but not sure if these will be lame ducks. I would like to kick around at the prompt level to see how different it is from a normal Unix system , but I'd like to learn some of the apps and gui stuff too so I don't look like an idiot to friends. Any recommendations or help is welcomed. Thanks. Snoopy. In article <de47fa...

Anyone got Mac classic Mac emulation running well on their Intel Mac?
Despite switching to DOSBox and VMware's Fusion with WinXP to handle my classic gaming needs, there are still a bunch of classic MacOS games I'm desperate to run on my Intel Mac. I've tried and failed to get Ballisk and SheepShaver running. Mini vMac runs but has a nasty, nasty habbit of corrupting disk images opened in both it and OSX. *sigh* Has anyone had any sucess? Why is classic Mac emulation so way behind other emulation efforts? With Amiga emulation running it's surprising classic Mac emulation is so far behind :-( TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you&...

Mac - to
I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release. What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on the G5 on the iBook? [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Br...

WakeOnLAN Mac to Mac over the net?
My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've configured it to sleep when not in use. So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on my end, which doesn't do any ...

Mac Quadra to a Mac G4?
I have to transfer my Mac Quadra 840 files to my Mac G4. My Quadra OS was in the 7s (I can't even remember) and I am running OS X and Classic on my G4. Can I transfer Claris files to my Microsoft Word, and the old Photoshop, illustrator, painter, director files into the G4? I sure hope so. Thanks ...

No Mac Help in Mac Help?
When I go to Mac Help in Finder (latest version of OSX Tiger) I get nothing. The window pops up but it's blank. Click on the little house and the initial screen fills in but nothing beyond that. I had a simiar problem with Safari help some time back and someone suggested I remove a folder from Library/Caches, (com.apple.helpui or something similar) and that did the trick for Safari's help. I honestly don't recall if I've ever had the Mac Help or I've just never used it since this machine. The problem happens on or offline so I'm not sure where the Mac Help file re...

Mac and non Mac Partition
Hello, I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable stup. The problem for instance in a Fat16 partion the mac write some "._blahblah" files. And some player doesn't like these file and get frozen. I have to plug the player (or it's memory card) to a Pc, the remove these file in order to make it working. Is there a way to avoid this ? Thanks John In article <4a4cc7f2$0$12658$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, John <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable ...

Is .mac and back to my mac on topic?
If it is, I'll post a message about them. -- Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP. Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote: > If it is, I'll post a message about them. LOL! Oh, and IMO, yes. -- <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods. <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/greet.cgi> Holiday cards with attitude In article <1igqml2.90lqaz1h7auzpN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.co...

Moving a User from Mac to Mac...
I currently have two old Macs...let's call them my MAIN Mac (a G4 running Tiger) and my OTHER Mac (early Intel iMac also running Tiger). And, I'm about to purchase a NEW Mac. (3 Macs...MAIN, OTHER and NEW) What I'd like to do is move virtually everything (user accounts, applications, settings, documents, etc.) from my current MAIN Mac to my NEW Mac. I've never actually done this before, but I believe, on initial install of the NEW Mac, the Mac OS actually asks if you want to do just this. Question#1: If the above is true, what cable is required during the install process whe...

Web resources about - mac to mac connection - comp.sys.mac.system

Alec Baldwin, Tommy Hilfiger and a Designer With a ‘Downton’ Connection
It was something of a British invasion at Michael’s today with plenty of posh folks (Majesty magazine EIC Ingrid Seward , the always dashing ...

Igniting Brand Growth Via Emotional Connections
Nobel Prize winning research in neuroscience and behavioral economics proves that all humans are irrational, emotional creatures. Both marketers ...

Did machete-wielding Ohio suspect have radical connections? - Videos - CBS News
... investigators, including possibly the FBI and Joint Terrorism Task Force are looking into whether a brutal rampage in Ohio had any connection ...

Deadpool Really Did Have A Major Connection To Marvel And The Avengers, Here's How
The Deadpool movie was full of a ton of Marvel related easter eggs, literally more than we could count. Most of them were obvious, a few were ...

Second teenage boy arrested in connection with TalkTalk hack
The 16-year-old was arrested in west London on Thursday, and has since been released on bail.

Zika virus-microcephaly connection hunted in Brazil - CNN.com
Is the Zika virus linked to microcephaly? The CDC and Brazilian health officials are leading the first-ever large scale investigation to find ...