MAC to MAC over Internet

Hi All,

First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
patient :)

I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC
computers in the office that are networked together and share files.
The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update.

One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to
connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just
like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the
master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person
to easily access and update the master files so they are always up to
date on the main MAC. They update 50 to 60 files a day in this manner
and want a way to continue to do this when the other person moves
away.

I have seen many different applications for the PC such as gotomyPC
PCanywhere etc but i am not sure how to do this with a MAC to MAC via
the Internet.

If anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate the help.
Again I am not sure if this is a built in feature in the MAC that they
can turn on and use or if they would need an application to do this.

Please keep in mind that these people are not MAC gurus and they need
something that is simple to install and use. I am not a MAC user and
do not live close enough to offer any hands on assistance so they need
to be able to do this on their own.

thanks for your time....
gene

Gene wrote:

> First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
> patient :)

1. We knew that when we saw the subject! "MAC" is the acronym of Media
Access Control. It appears that you mean to refer to the brand of
computers made by Apple. That would be "Mac," short for Macintosh (and
not MACintosh."

2. You should know this because you /should/ be using Macs. You would
do yourself and the entire on-line community a favor by reducing the
amount of spyware, viruses, DOS attacks, and other nasty things that
are associated so closely with the Typhoid Mary of Operating Systems.

> I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC
> computers in the office that are networked together and share files.
> The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update.
>
> One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to
> connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just
> like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the
> master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person
> to easily access and update the master files so they are always up to
> date on the main MAC. They update 50 to 60 files a day in this manner
> and want a way to continue to do this when the other person moves
> away.
>
> I have seen many different applications for the PC such as gotomyPC
> PCanywhere etc but i am not sure how to do this with a MAC to MAC via
> the Internet.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate the help.
> Again I am not sure if this is a built in feature in the MAC that they
> can turn on and use or if they would need an application to do this.
>
> Please keep in mind that these people are not MAC gurus and they need
> something that is simple to install and use. I am not a MAC user and
> do not live close enough to offer any hands on assistance so they need
> to be able to do this on their own.

Apple Remote Desktop -- commercial software from Apple. SSH, built into
every Mac. Good introduction at
<http://itexpress.ucdavis.edu/help/tutorials/openssh.shtml>. There are
other solutions. Nothing personal here, but these people should contact
a professional Mac consultant rather than a Windoze guy. A Google
search that includes the name of the city in which the business is
located will most likely be fruitful.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
0
 Gene <no_spam@here.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
> patient :)
>
> I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC
> computers in the office that are networked together and share files.
> The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update.
>
> One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to
> connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just
> like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the
> master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person
> to easily access and update the master files so they are always up to
> date on the main MAC. They update 50 to 60 files a day in this manner
> and want a way to continue to do this when the other person moves
> away.
>
> I have seen many different applications for the PC such as gotomyPC
> PCanywhere etc but i am not sure how to do this with a MAC to MAC via
> the Internet.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate the help.
> Again I am not sure if this is a built in feature in the MAC that
> they can turn on and use or if they would need an application to do
> this.
>
> Please keep in mind that these people are not MAC gurus and they need
> something that is simple to install and use. I am not a MAC user and
> do not live close enough to offer any hands on assistance so they
> need to be able to do this on their own.

Apple has built such capabilities in to OS X.  Here's the simplest
approach, although the article looks to be rather old and may be out of
date:

VNC would also be an option, perhaps slightly more complicated to set up
but offering a rather better user experience:

http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html

Hope this helps!
0
timmcn (2339)
7/15/2006 1:57:55 PM
 Gene <no_spam@here.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
> patient :)
>
> I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC
> computers in the office that are networked together and share files.
> The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update.
>
> One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to
> connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just
> like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the
> master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person
> to easily access and update the master files so they are always up to
> date on the main MAC. They update 50 to 60 files a day in this manner
> and want a way to continue to do this when the other person moves
> away.
>
> I have seen many different applications for the PC such as gotomyPC
> PCanywhere etc but i am not sure how to do this with a MAC to MAC via
> the Internet.

VNC is free but very buggy. Timbuktu is a well-known and respected Mac
program for remote control.
0
tim228 (39)
7/15/2006 2:11:41 PM
Mac systems today are all based on a UNIX foundation.  More specifically,
the BSD variant of UNIX. That said, UNIX based systems have been doing
everything the Windows systems have been doing and longer than they have as
well.

Sharing files can done in number of different ways, using a number of
different technologies that exist within UNIX and also within Mac OS X as
well.

Generally sharing files on a LAN is not a big deal and the most simplistic
implementations are generally effective as the LAN is usually not visible to
the outside world of the Internet.

Sharing files across the Internet, in this concept, a WAN, is more
problematic. Generally you want to use protocols that are effective in
establishing and maintaining reliable connections, and in addition, you must
consider the need to provide a high level of security. One needs to consider
the security of the two separate LAN's being opened up to the Internet, and
you must also consider the need to secure the connection between the two
machines so that data moved back and forth is not compromised. This means
something SSH tunnelling being used. This can become an issue to configure
as generally, turning on SSH, inherently turns off all other network
connections unless specific configuration options are put in place.

Another issue that comes up is that most personal and business connections
to the Internet are made with floating IP addresses and this means that from
day to day, week to week or even sometimes hour to hour, the IP address at
one or both ends of the connection is in a state of constant change. This
can be addressed by usually paying more to the ISP to get a Static IP
address at each end and setting up registered domains with DNS entries
handled by the ISP's or, one can make effective use of Dynamic DNS.

I hope that this has given you sufficient information to consider for
further research or with which to query any consultant that you hire.

FWIW, if doing the same with Windows, the considerations are generally the
same.

0
tomkinsr (326)
7/15/2006 3:47:57 PM
<no_spam@here.com> wrote:

> First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
> patient :)

And by MAC, you probably mean "Macintosh Apple Computer", what others call
"Mac". :-)

> One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to
> connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just
> like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the
> master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person
> to easily access and update the master files so they are always up to
> date on the main MAC. They update 50 to 60 files a day in this manner
> and want a way to continue to do this when the other person moves
> away.

There are two UNIX solutions:

- Under Mac OS X.4.7 or later, one can use 'rsync' (with an '-E' option
for Mac files), which can be automated using 'crontab', if the computer is
made sure to not be in a coma during backup time, say via System
Preference/Energy Saver/Options. See the 'man' pages of these two
programs.

- One can use 'ssh', either from the console (like Terminal), or via
Finder GUI in the program Fugu.

--
  Hans Aberg
0

0
bb.bb (16)
7/15/2006 5:12:57 PM
Davoud (star@sky.net) wrote:
[snip]
: Apple Remote Desktop -- commercial software from Apple. SSH, built into
: every Mac. Good introduction at
: <http://itexpress.ucdavis.edu/help/tutorials/openssh.shtml>.

Oh  - you were doing soooo good util then. Tsk @ putting a period at the
end of an enclosed url ;-)
--
Non Illegitimi Carborundum
0
: <no_spam@here.com> wrote:

: > First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
: > patient :)

: And by MAC, you probably mean "Macintosh Apple Computer", what others call
: "Mac". :-)

Naw. That'd be an AMC: "Apple Macintosh Computer" ;-)
A Mac is a Mac is a Macintosh.
--
Non Illegitimi Carborundum
0
ws917 (177)
7/15/2006 7:53:43 PM
 Gene <no_spam@here.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
> patient :)
>
> I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC
> computers in the office that are networked together and share files.
> The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update.
>
> One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to
> connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just
> like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the
> master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person
> to easily access and update the master files so they are always up to
> date on the main MAC. They update 50 to 60 files a day in this manner
> and want a way to continue to do this when the other person moves
> away.
>
> I have seen many different applications for the PC such as gotomyPC
> PCanywhere etc but i am not sure how to do this with a MAC to MAC via
> the Internet.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate the help.
> Again I am not sure if this is a built in feature in the MAC that they
> can turn on and use or if they would need an application to do this.
>
> Please keep in mind that these people are not MAC gurus and they need
> something that is simple to install and use. I am not a MAC user and
> do not live close enough to offer any hands on assistance so they need
> to be able to do this on their own.
>

> thanks for your time....
> gene

If it's file sharing that they're after, it's only a matter of setting
up the Macs such that:

A) The fileserver has a static, routable IP address, or using dynamic
DNS on the fileserver non-static address, or if there's a router
involved,

B) Setting up port forwarding on the router and giving the router a
static routable IP address or using dynamic DN on its non-static address.

Then you just use <afp://<address_of_server_or_router>/ to get access to
the shares.
0
alangbaker (17682)
7/15/2006 9:32:41 PM
 Gene <no_spam@here.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
> patient :)
>
> I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC
> computers in the office that are networked together and share files.
> The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update.
>
> One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to
> connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just
> like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the
> master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person
> to easily access and update the master files so they are always up to
> date on the main MAC. They update 50 to 60 files a day in this manner
> and want a way to continue to do this when the other person moves
> away.
>
> I have seen many different applications for the PC such as gotomyPC
> PCanywhere etc but i am not sure how to do this with a MAC to MAC via
> the Internet.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate the help.
> Again I am not sure if this is a built in feature in the MAC that they
> can turn on and use or if they would need an application to do this.
>
> Please keep in mind that these people are not MAC gurus and they need
> something that is simple to install and use. I am not a MAC user and
> do not live close enough to offer any hands on assistance so they need
> to be able to do this on their own.
>

> thanks for your time....
> gene

Besides the options already suggested, you might want to have your
friend do some searches over a <http://MacOSXHints.com> for things
like VPN, "ssh appleshare", and any other secure remote sharing
services you can think of.

                                        Bob Harris
 Gene <no_spam@here.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
> patient :)
>
> I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC
> computers in the office that are networked together and share files.
> The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update.
>
> One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to
> connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just
> like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the
> master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person
> to easily access and update the master files so they are always up to
> date on the main MAC. They update 50 to 60 files a day in this manner
> and want a way to continue to do this when the other person moves
> away.
>
> I have seen many different applications for the PC such as gotomyPC
> PCanywhere etc but i am not sure how to do this with a MAC to MAC via
> the Internet.

I use a VNC server called OSXvnc; and a client called Chicken of the
VNC. Works very nicely. Takes a bit of work to set up, but works quite
well.
 Gene <no_spam@here.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be
> patient :)
>
> I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC
> computers in the office that are networked together and share files.
> The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update.
>
> One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to
> connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just
> like they do in the office today.

You just want file access? That's easy ... never mind what I suggested
about VNC.

Just use the file sharing suggestions of the other posters.

Mac to mac

To Mac or not to Mac?

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Help! iSync mac to mac

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Just happened. Kind of weird. -- Arf! Old CSMAer Nice! At work I'm stuck on Windows, plus at home my roommate and girlfrield both use Windows. Good thing is I have my ibook at work and both my roommate and gf are getting Macs after their Dell's are paid off. They use Mac's at work and see how my PowerMac at home works while their PeeCee's hose daily. They hate Windows now :) So i'm getting there :) Alex "OldCSMAer" <olddog@kennelsINVALID.com> wrote in message news:olddog-F4AC87.15141003082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com... >I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free > world: > > My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and > urologist are all Mac. No PCs. > > Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac > (no surprise there). > > My dau...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM -g -O2 -o fileinfo fileinfo.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgtk-12 -lgdk-12 -lgmodule-12 -lglib-12 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms /usr/lib/libmac.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgthread-12.so.3: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. However i've managed to fix this by deleting the extracts files, re-extracting the files again, adding -lpthread to the configure.in file and then running autoconf to regenerate the configure script before compiling. # diff starts here --- configure.in.old Sun Dec 10 14:24:01 2006 +++ configure.in Sun Dec 10 14:24:...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.net>, Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote: > Hi, > > > PBG3 400 OS 10.3 > > I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, > and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, > but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect > to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. > > I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe > that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. > > Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? > > > thanks indeed > > Chris Brown > Neurosurgery > University of Adelaide > Chris, things won't necessarily connect automagically. First, you have to turn on "File Sharing" on both machines. If you have an OS 9 box, when y...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

change mac address get mac address spoofing mac address find computer by mac address
Mac Address Spoofing Report Victor J. Canny D. Abstract: Mac address can uniquely identifies each node of a network, ISPs and network administrators use mac address to manage their pc users. PC users may want to spoof mac address so that he need not to contact with ISP for a new network interface card (NIC); PC users may want to hide his mac address so that totally hide his information on the internet. Introduction Mac address, short for Media Access Control address, is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. It means, in a local area network (LAN) or oth...

Looking for used MAC system to learn MACs
Hello, I am looking for recommendations for a used MAC system that I can use to learn MACs. I have used Unix and Linux for the past 20 years, but I'd like to understand a little more about how they work. I have been looking at some used G4 and G5 systems, but not sure if these will be lame ducks. I would like to kick around at the prompt level to see how different it is from a normal Unix system , but I'd like to learn some of the apps and gui stuff too so I don't look like an idiot to friends. Any recommendations or help is welcomed. Thanks. Snoopy. In article <de47fa...

Anyone got Mac classic Mac emulation running well on their Intel Mac?
Despite switching to DOSBox and VMware's Fusion with WinXP to handle my classic gaming needs, there are still a bunch of classic MacOS games I'm desperate to run on my Intel Mac. I've tried and failed to get Ballisk and SheepShaver running. Mini vMac runs but has a nasty, nasty habbit of corrupting disk images opened in both it and OSX. *sigh* Has anyone had any sucess? Why is classic Mac emulation so way behind other emulation efforts? With Amiga emulation running it's surprising classic Mac emulation is so far behind :-( TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you&...

Mac and non Mac Partition
Hello, I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable stup. The problem for instance in a Fat16 partion the mac write some "._blahblah" files. And some player doesn't like these file and get frozen. I have to plug the player (or it's memory card) to a Pc, the remove these file in order to make it working. Is there a way to avoid this ? Thanks John In article <4a4cc7f2$0$12658$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, John <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable ...

WakeOnLAN Mac to Mac over the net?
My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've configured it to sleep when not in use. So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on my end, which doesn't do any ...

Mac - to
I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release. What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on the G5 on the iBook? [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Br...

Macs and Mac Users. A Rant.
http://tragicallyunhip.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/macs-and-mac-users-a-rant/ Macs and Mac Users. A Rant. March 26, 2008 tragicallyunhip Yanno. for years we've had to listen to Mac users go on and on and ON in the superior tone about how great Macs are and about how they just never break. Well, let me tell you, I have spent enough years in IT to know they do. A LOT. My last job was at a company whose graphics department was, as you might expect, Mac-based. And I spent just as much time down there working on them as I did ANY PC. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. What about the whole Mav VS PC thing? What about those annoying "I'm a Mac" ads? I tell you, I want to get that obnoxious Mac guy and bash his face in with a $*^&ing hammer! Why do Mac feel the need to slag off PCs just to advertise their own product? Have they got nothing to say about their own hardware and software that speaks for itself? Does everything have to be based on this ridiculous childish anti-PC thing? Yanno what Mac? NOBODY GIVES A SHIT! Get over yourselves. Advertise your product based on its own (limited) merits. Christ, even entering the network properties of a Mac OS to see the PCs you're connected to in your network, the icon for the PCs is a crappy looking old beige monitor with a BSOD error on it! I mean, GROW UP! Nobody wants to know. And speaking of BSOD, I have one word Mac: LEOPARD! Code name Train Wreck! Oh and that reminds me; Mac works w...

Phyless MAC to MAC connection
I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between an MPC8270 with a Wintegra 787 using a phyless MAC-to-MAC connection. On the MPC8270 we are using an FCC for this. I am using VxWorks 5.5 for this project. Can anyone tell me if I need to change VxWorks End Driver to make this happen. From what I understand currently, when the End Driver is initialized there is no initialization string which can indicate that there is no PHY out there. Has anyone implemented this before? Thanks, - Manish M Trojan wrote: > I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between ...

Is .mac and back to my mac on topic?
If it is, I'll post a message about them. -- Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP. Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote: > If it is, I'll post a message about them. LOL! Oh, and IMO, yes. -- <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods. <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/greet.cgi> Holiday cards with attitude In article <1igqml2.90lqaz1h7auzpN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.co...

Moving a User from Mac to Mac...
I currently have two old Macs...let's call them my MAIN Mac (a G4 running Tiger) and my OTHER Mac (early Intel iMac also running Tiger). And, I'm about to purchase a NEW Mac. (3 Macs...MAIN, OTHER and NEW) What I'd like to do is move virtually everything (user accounts, applications, settings, documents, etc.) from my current MAIN Mac to my NEW Mac. I've never actually done this before, but I believe, on initial install of the NEW Mac, the Mac OS actually asks if you want to do just this. Question#1: If the above is true, what cable is required during the install process whe...

No Mac Help in Mac Help?
When I go to Mac Help in Finder (latest version of OSX Tiger) I get nothing. The window pops up but it's blank. Click on the little house and the initial screen fills in but nothing beyond that. I had a simiar problem with Safari help some time back and someone suggested I remove a folder from Library/Caches, (com.apple.helpui or something similar) and that did the trick for Safari's help. I honestly don't recall if I've ever had the Mac Help or I've just never used it since this machine. The problem happens on or offline so I'm not sure where the Mac Help file resides. I've tried re-installing the original OSX Tiger that came with the machine (G4 Powerbook) but it won't allow me to since I've upgraded to the latest version. The documentation that came with the OSX is more of an advertising brochure than anything that resembles help text. Any suggestions. Could the help file be online somewhere for download? Thanks in advance! In article <1136142925.043876.315910@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote: > When I go to Mac Help in Finder (latest version of OSX Tiger) I get > nothing. The window pops up but it's blank. Throw away ~/Library/Cashes/com.apple.helpui/. Also see: http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2005/qa1409.html The page pretends it is uncommon, but apparemntly it is not. -- Hans Aberg Mine just did this tonight. While this work-around did bring back the home page of the...

Web resources about - MAC to MAC over Internet - comp.sys.mac.system

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet ...

Internets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Internets ", also known as " The Internets ", is a Bushism -turned- catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the ...

Internet Evolution - The Macrosite for News, Analysis, and Opinion about the Future of the Internet
The next big leap forward in the history of the Internet is happening now: Internet Evolution (www.internetevolution.com) is a Web 2.0 online ...

If not for Bill Clinton we could have taxed the internet, says Peter Costello
Governments could have raised "unbelievable amounts of money" by taxing the internet in its infancy, former treasurer Peter Costello says.

Kim Kardashian posts new nude selfie, internet remains intact
It didn't quite break the internet, but a new nude selfie from Kim Kardashian West nevertheless gave it a little shake.

Got SmartPot? Marijuana And The Internet Of Things
The infiltration of the IoT into marijuana is yet another sign of pot's normalization .

If not for Bill Clinton we could have taxed the internet, says Peter Costello
Governments could have raised "unbelievable amounts of money" by taxing the internet in its infancy, former treasurer Peter Costello says.

Trading the Internet of Things
Sarat Sethi, managing partner at Douglas C. Lane & Associates, acquired shares of a beaten-down audio electronics equipment maker.