mac won't boot...memberd[58] can't find root user

I am not much of a mac user but was given the task of getting
postgresql and an application working on a G4.  I successfully
installed postgresql from the sourceforge package and got this java
application running.  The only thing I can think that i did other than
the postgresql install is that I reset the root passwd.

Everything was working great until I rebooted this morning.  The gray
screen with the apple appears with the progress pinwheel and nothing
happens.
I was not able to boot into safe mode.
I was able to boot in singleuser mode.  When I try and startup from
there I see this repeatedly:
memberd[58]: Couldn't find root user. Sleeping and trying again

I tried rebuilding the netinfo database with this command per some
website I saw /usr/libexec/create_nidb ... No luck

I have no idea what to do now.  Did i kill this mac?

0
epicwinter (94)

In article <1193251171.290742.293950@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
 off by one <epicwinter@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am not much of a mac user but was given the task of getting
> postgresql and an application working on a G4.  I successfully
> installed postgresql from the sourceforge package and got this java
> application running.  The only thing I can think that i did other
> than the postgresql install is that I reset the root passwd.
>
> Everything was working great until I rebooted this morning.  The gray
> screen with the apple appears with the progress pinwheel and nothing
> happens. I was not able to boot into safe mode. I was able to boot in
> singleuser mode.  When I try and startup from there I see this
> repeatedly: memberd[58]: Couldn't find root user. Sleeping and trying
> again
>
> I tried rebuilding the netinfo database with this command per some
> website I saw /usr/libexec/create_nidb ... No luck
>
> I have no idea what to do now.  Did i kill this mac?

Will it boot from the OS X CD/DVD?  If you can get it to do that, you
can reset the root password, etc.  Get the CD/DVD in the drive and hold
the C key down until it boots.
0
timmcn (2339)
10/25/2007 1:30:28 AM
On Oct 24, 6:30 pm, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> In article <1193251171.290742.293...@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
>  off by one <epicwin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I am not much of a mac user but was given the task of getting
> > postgresql and an application working on a G4.  I successfully
> > installed postgresql from the sourceforge package and got this java
> > application running.  The only thing I can think that i did other
> > than the postgresql install is that I reset the root passwd.
>
> > Everything was working great until I rebooted this morning.  The gray
> > screen with the apple appears with the progress pinwheel and nothing
> > happens. I was not able to boot into safe mode. I was able to boot in
> > singleuser mode.  When I try and startup from there I see this
> > repeatedly: memberd[58]: Couldn't find root user. Sleeping and trying
> > again
>
> > I tried rebuilding the netinfo database with this command per some
> > website I saw /usr/libexec/create_nidb ... No luck
>
> > I have no idea what to do now.  Did i kill this mac?
>
> Will it boot from the OS X CD/DVD?  If you can get it to do that, you
> can reset the root password, etc.  Get the CD/DVD in the drive and hold
> the C key down until it boots.

Thanks for replying.  It actually won't.  It takes me to a blue screen
with a cursor and just freezes.  I know the dvd drive works and the
disk looks brand new.  Once it took me to the blue screen and an image
appeared with what looked sort of like the bottom of a mouse and steps
for opening the battery area.  I am perplexed by this.  Any idea?

0
epicwinter (94)
10/25/2007 4:48:29 AM
In article <1193287709.804230.213930@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 off by one <epicwinter@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 6:30 pm, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> > In article <1193251171.290742.293...@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
> >  off by one <epicwin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > I am not much of a mac user but was given the task of getting
> > > postgresql and an application working on a G4.  I successfully
> > > installed postgresql from the sourceforge package and got this
> > > java application running.  The only thing I can think that i did
> > > other than the postgresql install is that I reset the root
> > > passwd.
> >
> > > Everything was working great until I rebooted this morning.  The
> > > gray screen with the apple appears with the progress pinwheel and
> > > nothing happens. I was not able to boot into safe mode. I was
> > > able to boot in singleuser mode.  When I try and startup from
> > > there I see this repeatedly: memberd[58]: Couldn't find root
> > > user. Sleeping and trying again
> >
> > > I tried rebuilding the netinfo database with this command per
> > > some website I saw /usr/libexec/create_nidb ... No luck
> >
> > > I have no idea what to do now.  Did i kill this mac?
> >
> > Will it boot from the OS X CD/DVD?  If you can get it to do that,
> > you can reset the root password, etc.  Get the CD/DVD in the drive
> > and hold the C key down until it boots.
>
> Thanks for replying.  It actually won't.  It takes me to a blue
> screen with a cursor and just freezes.  I know the dvd drive works
> and the disk looks brand new.  Once it took me to the blue screen and
> an image appeared with what looked sort of like the bottom of a mouse
> and steps for opening the battery area.  I am perplexed by this.  Any
> idea?

I am curious as to why it is looking for the root user.  Usually in OS X
the root user is inactive and everything root-like is done through an
admin user.  Do you have any other user accounts created besides root?
You need at least one admin account.

It'll boot into single user mode, so that's what you've got to work
with.  Hmmm.  Have you tried fsck once you're booted into single user
mode?  Could be something got messed up in the file system.  Have you
tried continuing the normal boot from inside the single user mode?

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/09/04/troubleshooting_with_singleus
er_mode

Have you tried resetting the PRAM?  Command-Option-P-R is the keystroke
combination; hold it until the computer "bongs" three times and then
release.  Hopefully normal boot will continue.

It's a G4 desktop Mac? Might be old enough that it needs a new
motherboard battery.  All sorts of weird things can happen when the
battery dies.

Will it boot into Open Firmware?  Command-Option-O-F is the keystroke
combination while booting.  Once in OF, the commands
   1. reset-NVRAM
   2. set-defaults
   3. reset-all

followed by "boot" or "mac-boot" might restore normal functionality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Firmware

Are you using a wired mouse and keyboard, or Bluetooth (the odd image
you reported was probably from a Help file for replacing the battery in
a Bluetooth mouse).

Hope this helps!  Maybe someone else around here will have better ideas.
0
timmcn (2339)