Mail automatically deleting junk mail

On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as soon as
she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.  I can't find
anything in the preferences that would be causing this.  Any
suggestions?  Thanks!
0
timmcn (2339)

In article <timmcn-52B943.23120425102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim
McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

> On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as soon as
> she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.  I can't find
> anything in the preferences that would be causing this.  Any
> suggestions?  Thanks!

Check what's set up under "Rules" in the prefs. If the offender is
anywhere it's likely there.
0
dave16 (4224)
10/26/2006 4:33:19 AM
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:33:19 -0500, Dave Balderstone wrote
(in article <251020062233199019%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>):

> In article <timmcn-52B943.23120425102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim
> McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
>
>> On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as soon as
>> she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.  I can't find
>> anything in the preferences that would be causing this.  Any
>> suggestions?  Thanks!
>
> Check what's set up under "Rules" in the prefs. If the offender is
> anywhere it's likely there.

There is an "Advanced" option in Mail's junk mail preference which gives one
the option of automatically deleting what is considered to be junk mail.

--
James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@mac.com

0
taliesinsoft (1864)
10/26/2006 4:42:16 AM
In article <0001HW.C165A6D8002C8ACFB019F94F@news.supernews.com>,
 TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@mac.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:33:19 -0500, Dave Balderstone wrote
> (in article <251020062233199019%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>):
>
> > In article <timmcn-52B943.23120425102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim
> > McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as soon as
> >> she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.  I can't find
> >> anything in the preferences that would be causing this.  Any
> >> suggestions?  Thanks!
> >
> > Check what's set up under "Rules" in the prefs. If the offender is
> > anywhere it's likely there.
>
> There is an "Advanced" option in Mail's junk mail preference which gives one
> the option of automatically deleting what is considered to be junk mail.

The OP said that the messages are deleted when she clicks on the Junk
Mail folder.  If it were rules or the advanced preference, it would
happen at the time the message is received, not later when she tries to
enter the folder.

On the other hand, I can't think of any better explanation. :)

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
 Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <timmcn-52B943.23120425102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim
> McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
>
> > On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as
> > soon as she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.
> > I can't find anything in the preferences that would be causing
> > this.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
>
> Check what's set up under "Rules" in the prefs. If the offender is
> anywhere it's likely there.

I checked that.  She has set up no rules at all (I don't think she even
knows about that stuff, actually).
0
timmcn (2339)
10/26/2006 1:47:27 PM
In article <0001HW.C165A6D8002C8ACFB019F94F@news.supernews.com>,
 TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@mac.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:33:19 -0500, Dave Balderstone wrote (in
> article <251020062233199019%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>):
>
> > In article <timmcn-52B943.23120425102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim
> > McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as
> >> soon as she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.
> >> I can't find anything in the preferences that would be causing
> >> this.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
> >
> > Check what's set up under "Rules" in the prefs. If the offender is
> > anywhere it's likely there.
>
> There is an "Advanced" option in Mail's junk mail preference which
> gives one the option of automatically deleting what is considered to
> be junk mail.

I'll double check- her computer is at work with her right now- but I
think I looked at that already.
0
timmcn (2339)
10/26/2006 1:48:26 PM
In article <barmar-8D2608.01000526102006@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
 Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <0001HW.C165A6D8002C8ACFB019F94F@news.supernews.com>,
>  TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:33:19 -0500, Dave Balderstone wrote (in
> > article <251020062233199019%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>):

> > > Check what's set up under "Rules" in the prefs. If the offender
> > > is anywhere it's likely there.
> >
> > There is an "Advanced" option in Mail's junk mail preference which
> > gives one the option of automatically deleting what is considered
> > to be junk mail.
>
> The OP said that the messages are deleted when she clicks on the Junk
> Mail folder.  If it were rules or the advanced preference, it would
> happen at the time the message is received, not later when she tries
> to enter the folder.

Right.  There's a message count in bold text.  When she clicks on the
Junk Mail folder to check the messages for false positives, they are
deleted.  The messages are not moved to the Trash folder, they are just
gone.  It's as though clicking on the folder issues the Erase Junk Mail
command.

> On the other hand, I can't think of any better explanation. :)

I'm stumped and she's mad at me for being stumped.
0
timmcn (2339)
10/26/2006 1:50:36 PM
In article <barmar-8D2608.01000526102006@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
 Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> The OP said that the messages are deleted when she clicks on the Junk
> Mail folder.  If it were rules or the advanced preference, it would
> happen at the time the message is received, not later when she tries
> to enter the folder.
>
> On the other hand, I can't think of any better explanation. :)

I suggest that after she clicks on the junk mail folder and the junk
messages vanish, she press command-L.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease:  Impeach the son of a Bush.
0
 Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

> I'm stumped and she's mad at me for being stumped.

As I suggested in another message, which you may not have seen yet, try
pressing Command-L after those messages vanish.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease:  Impeach the son of a Bush.
0
michelle14 (19004)
10/26/2006 2:49:48 PM
In article <timmcn-85723F.08472726102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim
McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

> In article <251020062233199019%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
>  Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:
>
> > In article <timmcn-52B943.23120425102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim
> > McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as
> > > soon as she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.
> > > I can't find anything in the preferences that would be causing
> > > this.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
> >
> > Check what's set up under "Rules" in the prefs. If the offender is
> > anywhere it's likely there.
>
> I checked that.  She has set up no rules at all (I don't think she even
> knows about that stuff, actually).

Hit CMD-i and see if the messages are still on the server.
0
dave16 (4224)
10/26/2006 3:33:34 PM
In article <timmcn-52B943.23120425102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim
McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

> On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as soon as
> she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.  I can't find
> anything in the preferences that would be causing this.  Any
> suggestions?  Thanks!

Is Mail deleting *all* of the messages or just *some* of them? I ask
because on my machine, after Mail finishes downloading the mail, my
junk mail folder will display a number that, as soon as I click on the
junk mail folder icon will change to a lesser number. The number of
messages that are displayed in the folder matches the lesser number. I
don't think I've ever see the number drop down to zero, though.

In my case, I think Mail is miscounting how many messages are there or
perhaps re-examining what should be deemed junk as I open the folder. I
have two POP accounts and one IMAP account (the IMAP account gets the
most spam) and perhaps the IMAP synching has something to do with it?!
Could this be what's happening on your wife's iBook? Just a thought...
0
yocraigst (13)
10/27/2006 4:34:01 AM
I don't hav\ve that in Mail 2.0.  In Mail Prefernces look at the Junk
Mail Tab, unclick Move to Junk Mail (AutoMatic).  That should do it.
TaliesinSoft wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:33:19 -0500, Dave Balderstone wrote
> (in article <251020062233199019%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>):
>
> > In article <timmcn-52B943.23120425102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim
> > McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as soon as
> >> she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.  I can't find
> >> anything in the preferences that would be causing this.  Any
> >> suggestions?  Thanks!
> >
> > Check what's set up under "Rules" in the prefs. If the offender is
> > anywhere it's likely there.
>
> There is an "Advanced" option in Mail's junk mail preference which gives one
> the option of automatically deleting what is considered to be junk mail.
>
> --
> James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@mac.com

0
beth.cornell (251)
10/27/2006 11:10:49 PM
Tim McNamara wrote:
> On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as soon as
> she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents.  I can't find
> anything in the preferences that would be causing this.  Any
> suggestions?  Thanks!

Deleting all or some?

Go to Preferences -> Accounts
select that account and go to special mailboxes
Junk mail can be set to be deleted never/one day old/one week old/etc.

How often does she check junk?

If a suspected junk message is expired, it may not actually be deleted
until the next time the junk folder is opened.

Here's a way for the stout-hearted to get them back:

1. a message you want vanishes
2. tell yourself "mail is not displaying it, but it's
    still on the disk."
3. go to prefs and set the expiration to "Never"
4. Force-quit mail.  This prevents it from writing
    the changes back to the files as it normally does
    on exit.
5. Re-launch mail and there they are!

(This is not really the method I recommend, though.
  I suggest just changing your prefs and saying "C'est la vie"
  about the lost messages.)

--
Wes Groleau

    Nobody believes a theoretical analysis -- except the guy who did it.
    Everybody believes an experimental analysis -- except the guy who
did it.
                                  -- Unknown
0
news31 (6772)