Mail.app vaporized my e-mail!

The strangest thing just happened, help!

I opened up Mail, and all the messages on my inbox (several dozen of
them, some dating back 7 months) were all marked as unread.  Not a big
problem.  BUT, everything dated between August 18 2003 and today (October
13, 2003) has completely vanished.  I had some VERY important e-mails in
there.

I tried looking in ~/Library/Mail, and there doesn't seem to be any way to
recover them by messing around in there.  Is there any way to get them
back???

Thanks
nospam161 (129)

In article <Gqtib.9039$x97.2472@clgrps13>, nospam@spam.sucks.it (Gavin)
wrote:

> The strangest thing just happened, help!
>
> I opened up Mail, and all the messages on my inbox (several dozen of
> them, some dating back 7 months) were all marked as unread.  Not a big
> problem.  BUT, everything dated between August 18 2003 and today (October
> 13, 2003) has completely vanished.  I had some VERY important e-mails in
> there.
>
> I tried looking in ~/Library/Mail, and there doesn't seem to be any way to
> recover them by messing around in there.  Is there any way to get them
> back???

I once had something like this happen.  I got things back to normal by
restoring Mail's preferences from a backup.  The prefs file is
com.apple.mail.plist.  I just dropped the restored copy in place of the
existing one, and Mail was back to normal the next time I ran it.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Version 1.4:  Best cleanup yet, gets files other tools miss.
Tom Harrington <tph@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> I once had something like this happen.  I got things back to normal by
> restoring Mail's preferences from a backup.  The prefs file is
> com.apple.mail.plist.  I just dropped the restored copy in place of the
> existing one, and Mail was back to normal the next time I ran it.

Thanks.  I tried that but no dice.  So I just restored my entire
~/Library/Mail folder from my most recent backup (a week ago).  So I
still lost all the messages between a week ago and now, but I at least
have the older ones back (I know, I know, back up EVERY DAY, I learned my
lesson.  :-)

Gavin
0
nospam161 (129)