Any one? Bueller? NSA?

1
nmassello2 (168)
9/4/2013 12:49:07 PM
comp.sys.mac.system 33205 articles. 1 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9469) is leader. Post Follow

On 2013-09-04, Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
><http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all
>
> Any one? Bueller? NSA?

I don't think it would break compatibility for any application unless there
is some entirely new security system included.

--
Blah blah bleh...
GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

It's probably still under a non-disclosure agreement.  I'd suggest
checking in the Apple developer forums, which are, as far as I know,
the only place it's ok to discuss stuff covered by an NDA.

Billy Y..
--
        sub     #'9+1   ,r0             ; convert ascii byte
	add     #9.+1   ,r0             ; to an integer
  Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.

<1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.

--
Real magic is the hand around the bandsaw, the thrown spark in the
powder keg, the dimension-warp linking you straight into the heart of a
<g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> > Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> > drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> > <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> > yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all
>
> The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
> that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.
>
> <1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.

he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.

how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
probably wouldn't be asking.

once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
upgrade.
0
nospam59 (11087)
9/5/2013 11:08:40 AM
nospam wrote:
> In article <slrnl2fa5m.1td.g.kreme@mbp55.local>, Lewis
> <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>
>>> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
>>> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
>>> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
>>> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
>>> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all
>>
>> The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
>> that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.
>>
>> <1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.
>
> he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
> which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.
>
> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
> probably wouldn't be asking.
>
> once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> upgrade.

There use to be a website you could go to and it would tell you what
apps would work , which need update, and which would never work. Its
been so long I have forgotten the name

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:pjonescet@comcast.net
<pjonescet@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
> >> that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.
> >>
> >> <1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.
> >
> > he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
> > which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.
> >
> > how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
> > to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
> > probably wouldn't be asking.
> >
> > once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> > information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> > but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> > releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> > eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> > upgrade.
> >
> There use to be a website you could go to and it would tell you what
> apps would work , which need update, and which would never work. Its
> been so long I have forgotten the name

that site was mentioned in the original post and quoted above.
0
nospam59 (11087)
9/5/2013 3:25:03 PM
nospam wrote:

>>> he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
>>> which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.
>>>
>>> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
>>> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
>>> probably wouldn't be asking.
>>>
>>> once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
>>> information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
>>> but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
>>> releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
>>> eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>> There use to be a website you could go to and it would tell you what
>> apps would work , which need update, and which would never work. Its
>> been so long I have forgotten the name
>
> that site was mentioned in the original post and quoted above.

didn't notice Sorry!

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:pjonescet@comcast.net
0
pjonescet (208)
9/5/2013 3:47:38 PM
On 13-09-05 07:08, nospam wrote:

> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
> probably wouldn't be asking.

The big change was SnowLeopard to Lion where lots of older apps stopped
working because the PowerPC emulator was removed.

I don't expect Mavericks to be a big step from Lion/Mountain Lion but
you may have to explicitely tell your machine to allow unsigned apps.

Some games might have problems with the computer's display targetted at
a TV via AppleTV but I don't expect this to touch that many apps.
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> upgrade.

As I stated, my primary concern is MS Office, particularly Excel. I'm
currently using Office 2008 and would be quite happy to continue with it
indefinitely. If Office 2008 breaks under Mavericks, I'll grudgingly
move to Office 2011 -- unless it also breaks under Mavericks.

Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
as long as possible.

0
nmassello2 (168)
9/5/2013 6:37:01 PM
In article <1l8q4ax.19s97ur1fzmg52N%nmassello@yahoo.com>,
 nmassello@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> > information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> > but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> > releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> > eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> > upgrade.
>
> As I stated, my primary concern is MS Office, particularly Excel. I'm
> currently using Office 2008 and would be quite happy to continue with it
> indefinitely. If Office 2008 breaks under Mavericks, I'll grudgingly
> move to Office 2011 -- unless it also breaks under Mavericks.
>
> Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> as long as possible.

Depending on your needs, you may be able to get by fine with one of the
open source alternatives to MS Office.

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)
9/5/2013 10:15:57 PM
Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:

> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> > information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> > but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> > releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> > eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> > upgrade.
>
> As I stated, my primary concern is MS Office, particularly Excel. I'm
> currently using Office 2008 and would be quite happy to continue with it
> indefinitely. If Office 2008 breaks under Mavericks, I'll grudgingly
> move to Office 2011 -- unless it also breaks under Mavericks.

Note that MS has stopped issuing updates for Office 2008, so it is
likely to be vulnerable to many security issues that may be discovered
and fixed in Office 2011.

> Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> as long as possible.

Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
subscription to Office 365.

If they don't, it would be another reason for Mac users to wean
themselves off Microsoft Office where possible.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
<dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> > Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> > price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> > Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> > as long as possible.
>
> Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
> chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
> Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
> subscription to Office 365.
>
> If they don't, it would be another reason for Mac users to wean
> themselves off Microsoft Office where possible.

the problem is if you have to interact with the rest of the world who
uses microsoft office, the real thing is required. the alternatives, no
matter how compatible they claim to be, are not compatible enough and
do not work properly.
0
nospam59 (11087)
9/6/2013 1:20:24 AM
David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
> chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
> Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
> subscription to Office 365.

But likely at a higher price. Microsoft no longer ships the
three-license physical media edition of Office 2011, and the new
downloadable edition is roughly three times its per seat price.

I did find a copy of the three-license Office 2011 Home & Student
package for under $120. It's the current code version, so I assume
Microsoft will maintain its compatibility with Mavericks and perhaps
with Cucamonga (or whatever) beyond that.

0
nmassello2 (168)
9/6/2013 7:02:47 AM
In message <5228cebe$0$61529$c3e8da3$f017e9df@news.astraweb.com>
  JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 13-09-05 07:08, nospam wrote:

>> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
>> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
>> probably wouldn't be asking.

> The big change was SnowLeopard to Lion where lots of older apps stopped
> working because the PowerPC emulator was removed.

> I don't expect Mavericks to be a big step from Lion/Mountain Lion but
> you may have to explicitely tell your machine to allow unsigned apps.

Yes, that was the underlying implication in my original reply. Since
10.9 works on ALL machines that 10.8 works on, chances are very good
that all<1> 10.8 compatible apps will continue to work. Is it possible
that something will break? Sure, but it's not very probable. And it's
even less probable it will be something you use.

> Some games might have problems with the computer's display targetted at
> a TV via AppleTV but I don't expect this to touch that many apps.

I can neither confirm nor deny that WoW works perfectly over AirPlay.
Nope, can't do it, sorry.

<1> FSVO 'all'

--
And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew
them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.
 Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > I don't expect Mavericks to be a big step from Lion/Mountain Lion but
> > you may have to explicitely tell your machine to allow unsigned apps.
>
> Yes, that was the underlying implication in my original reply. Since
> 10.9 works on ALL machines that 10.8 works on, chances are very good
> that all<1> 10.8 compatible apps will continue to work. Is it possible
> that something will break? Sure, but it's not very probable. And it's
> even less probable it will be something you use.

You're being reasonable, informative, and articulate.  Please cease that
immediately; it's not allowed here.

--
All usenet users are quirky, but some are more quirky than others.
0
<g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> Yes, that was the underlying implication in my original reply. Since
> 10.9 works on ALL machines that 10.8 works on, chances are very good
> that all<1> 10.8 compatible apps will continue to work. Is it possible
> that something will break? Sure, but it's not very probable. And it's
> even less probable it will be something you use.

just because mavericks works on the same hardware as mountain lion
doesn't mean apps that run under mountain lion will necessarily work
under mavericks.

mavericks has a number of changes that might affect some apps. most
will be fine, but like any os x upgrade (ignoring major changes such as
dropping rosetta), there will be a small number of apps that don't work
or will have minor issues.
0
nospam59 (11087)
9/6/2013 9:29:06 PM
On 2013.09.04 08:49 , Neill Massello wrote:
> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

Mavericks looks like a lot of OS enhancement without subtraction.  So
existing apps will make the same calls to the same libraries and get the
same actions performed and same results back.

Existing apps won't use any new functions added to the framework(s), of
course and it would be up to those app co's to decide if it were worth
pursuing.

That said - major OS updates have a way of "revealing" weaknesses in
existing code.

An app update that would be welcome, for example (and not a Mavericks
related update per se), would be if Handbrake would use OpenGL/CL to
perform its conversions using the graphics processor(s) rather than the
CPU.  I would venture that a several fold improvement in speed would be
gained.

The best part of that is that it would be OS portable so it would work
on Windows and Linux as well.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,
On 2013.09.07 10:00 , Alan Browne wrote:

> An app update that would be welcome, for example (and not a Mavericks
> related update per se), would be if Handbrake would use OpenGL/CL to
> perform its conversions using the graphics processor(s) rather than the
> CPU.  I would venture that a several fold improvement in speed would be
> gained.

Looks like there is a beta with OpenCL but doesn't appear to be in the
main release line to date.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
                                                  -Unknown
0
alan.browne (4546)
9/7/2013 2:10:44 PM
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1l8rwvj.qqvqxa2q7udeN%dempson@actrix.gen.nz>, David Empson
> <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> > > Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> > > price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> > > Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> > > as long as possible.
> >
> > Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
> > chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
> > Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
> > subscription to Office 365.
> >
> > If they don't, it would be another reason for Mac users to wean
> > themselves off Microsoft Office where possible.
>
> the problem is if you have to interact with the rest of the world who
> uses microsoft office, the real thing is required. the alternatives, no
> matter how compatible they claim to be, are not compatible enough and
> do not work properly.

That's what I meant by "where possible". Those who need full
compatibility can run into problems unless they can run the same version
of Office on the same platform (and even then might have problems with
fonts).

Even Microsoft can't make Office versions which are 100% compatible
between platforms (or between versions on the same platform), but they
get closer than the alternatives.

My user group's secretary complains about the formatting of our rather
simple committee minutes getting stuffed up when I edit them on Office
2011 (Mac) while she is using Office 2010 (Windows), but I don't know
exactly what the problem is.

Microsoft Office is a bad de facto standard. Unfortunately the near
monopoly of Windows and Office propogates it and those on the outside
have to deal with it.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
 andremoore74@gmail.com wrote:

> Im running mavericks Gold beta and Office doesn't work. Crashes every time I
> try and open it. i just get a pop up asking if i want to send the info to
> Microsoft

What version of Office are using?
0
xyz6528 (45)
10/9/2013 2:45:19 AM
In article <e333692e-2b1f-477d-8f25-02f58057c6a5@googlegroups.com>,
 andremoore74@gmail.com wrote:

> Im running mavericks Gold beta and Office doesn't work. Crashes every time I
> try and open it. i just get a pop up asking if i want to send the info to
> Microsoft

Ain't  Mavericks proper out??? Go 'n goog 4 it!
--
teleportation kills
0
On 09/10/2013 10:10, android wrote:

> Ain't  Mavericks proper out??? Go 'n goog 4 it!

No, it ain't. As the fact that you have to 'goog 4 it' would suggest.

--
Xbox: GallusNumpty  Steam: scottishwildcat
0
 Calum <com.gmail@nospam.scottishwildcat> wrote:

> On 09/10/2013 10:10, android wrote:
>
> > Ain't  Mavericks proper out??? Go 'n goog 4 it!
>
> No, it ain't. As the fact that you have to 'goog 4 it' would suggest.

I'm big enough to admit a mistake...  http://tinyurl.com/mkbx4zl Stay
tuned! Didn't really need to Goog that one! ;-p
My advice to the OP is to stick to the NeoOffice  for the time being.
--
teleportation kills
0

There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.

Numbers is a different product, makes my saved .csv file incompatible.

Numbers doesn't accept pasted data like Excel does.
0
nbbooks (1)
11/27/2013 3:38:24 PM
<nbbooks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Office 2008 crashes. Hard.
>
> There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.

Other users don't seem to have many problems using MS Office 2008 in
Mavericks.

<http://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2008>

0
nmassello
11/27/2013 7:25:35 PM
On 2013-11-27 19:25:35 +0000, Neill Massello said:

> <nbbooks@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Office 2008 crashes. Hard.
>>
>> There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.
>
> Other users don't seem to have many problems using MS Office 2008 in
> Mavericks.
>
> <http://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2008>

If I'm reading that right, it means that 5 people have reported that it
works fine.  That's hardly indicative of much.

My own experience?  Excel 2008 crashed repeatedly under Mavericks.  I'd
been meaning to remove Office 2008 and replace it with 2011 (which I
already have on the other machines) for a good while, and Mavericks was
the last straw.

And it was pretty solid under ML and previous OSs.

FWIW.

2011 has been completely solid.

0
BreadWithSpam (1707)
11/27/2013 11:41:07 PM
On 2013-11-27 23:41:07 +0000, Bread said:

> On 2013-11-27 19:25:35 +0000, Neill Massello said:
>
>> <nbbooks@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Office 2008 crashes. Hard.
>>>
>>> There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.
>>
>> Other users don't seem to have many problems using MS Office 2008 in
>> Mavericks.
>>
>> <http://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2008>
>
> If I'm reading that right, it means that 5 people have reported that it
> works fine.  That's hardly indicative of much.

It's indicative that 2008 isn't universally crippled by Mavericks, and
that you might well be able to have it "work fine" yourself if it
weren't for some unknown issue which may not be MicroSoft's fault.  I
say that as someone who hates MS products and has refused to use them
for almost 10 years.

> My own experience?  Excel 2008 crashed repeatedly under Mavericks.  I'd
> been meaning to remove Office 2008 and replace it with 2011 (which I
> already have on the other machines) for a good while, and Mavericks was
> the last straw.
>
> And it was pretty solid under ML and previous OSs.
>
> FWIW.
>
> 2011 has been completely solid.

0
gtr
11/28/2013 3:49:37 PM
On 11/28/13, 10:49 AM, gtr wrote:
> It's indicative that 2008 isn't universally crippled by Mavericks, and
> that you might well be able to have it "work fine" yourself if it
> weren't for some unknown issue which may not be MicroSoft's fault.  I
> say that as someone who hates MS products and has refused to use them
> for almost 10 years.

As you implied, Office 2008 on Mavericks works fine here, although I use
it only when necessary.
0
Joe

Compatibility with Alesis ADAT Editing Software 2.0 & Mac G4 Operating System OS X, or 9.2
I wanted to find out if I could use the Editing Software manufactured by Alesis for ADATS, with my Mac G4. I am using OS X, however I can also use classic 9.2 if needed. Minimum requirements on the box read: MAC Power PC 300MHz, 604e Processor, OS 7.6.1, 128 Megs of RAM. I have two 800MHz processors, and 512 Megs of RAM. Has anyone ever had any problems using the Alesis PCI card with a mirrored model G4? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time concerning this matter. ...

OS/2 gurus! Help with OS/2 config.sys Fwd: Trouble with a Personal System/2
Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem. Config.sys has been changed. Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update. Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved things. -------- Original Message -------- Subject: Trouble with a Personal System/2 Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:40:20 -0400 From: <brian@centralindianapatternandmold.com> To: <ohland@charter.net> please help . config.sys got changed os2 ibm indurstial computer-will not boot? In article <npapo.23064$qU5.8268@newsfe20.iad>, Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net> wrote: > Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem. > > Config.sys has been changed. > > Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this > was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update. > > Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved > things. 1. Boot (C-A-D). 2. Wait for "boot blob" at top left corner of the screen (a white box, and "OS/2"). 3. Press Alt-F1. 4. Select "Boot to command prompt (use original CONFIG.SYS)" option. 5. Fix the CONFIG.SYS Alternatively, boot to command prompt from the OS/2 installation diskettes. -- Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand "New interface ...

most OS/2 compatible system
I have just ordered OS/2 v4.52 from IBM... for my thinkpad. But.. I am also going to order a new desktop for use with Win2000, however I still want the desktop to be as compatable as possible to accommodate OS/2 in the future if required. So... I am requesting any good experience... What are some good Pentium (630) level Mother Boards with integrated video / 1gbyte ethernet / usb / bios / power-cntls that OS/2 can support. Two Maxtor 250gb sata drives with 16mb buffers... A DVD/CD burner... Memory is 1 gbyte Is there anything I should stay away from ? always grat...

UPS systems Mac compatible?
I'm planning to buy a UPS system and I've narrowed it down to the Belkin 350 or APC 350 or 500. MacWarehouse lists both as being Mac compatible but when I read the specs, OSX is not listed under system requirements. I presume this means that the software is no good for Macs, but I can still plug my Macs in and have them protected. Am I right about this? Is there a particular advantage to being able to use the software and, if so, is there a good UPS system that has Mac-compatible software? Thanks for any help -- dotlyc@sympatico.ca In article <hO16b.22590$s...

Are libc-2.3.2.so & libc-2.2.5.so compatible?
Hi, I have a program developed on a system that uses libc-2.3.2.so that I need to run on a system with libc-2.2.5. My program won't run on the 2.2.5 system. My understanding is that since they're both libc.so.6 they should be compatible (obviously I'm wrong!). Does anyone have suggestions on how to make it work with 2.2.5? Upgrading the library isn't really an option. Thanks! Mark mark <mark_2811nospam@excite.com> writes: > Hi, > > I have a program developed on a system that uses libc-2.3.2.so that I need > to run on a system with libc...

RE: [Mac, 2.8.1] Mac dragging cursor and icon #2
------_=_NextPart_001_01C7BD87.46825DBE Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Great, thanx. I'll fix and send a patch =20 ________________________________ From: Stefan Csomor [mailto:csomor@advancedconcepts.ch]=20 Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:23 PM To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org Subject: RE: [Mac, 2.8.1] Mac dragging cursor and icon =20 Hi =20 ad 1) =20 yes, I'd add a bitmap member on a the drag source base class, with accessors, so any implementation is free to pick it =20 ad 2) =20 wxBitmap::CGImageCreate =20 Thanks, =20 Stefan =20 From: Yaron Tadmor [mailto:YaronT@HumanEyes.com]=20 Sent: Dienstag, 3. Juli 2007 16:28 To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org Subject: RE: [Mac, 2.8.1] Mac dragging cursor and icon =20 OK, I'll do it. I just need a few pointers to make sure I do it right: =20 1) can you explain what do you mean by generic API? Do I need to implement it (as doing nothing) for all other platforms, or is there another way. I'm not that familiar with these things in WX. 2) Do you have some code that turns a wxBitmap to a CGImage or something like that? =20 =20 =20 ________________________________ From: Stefan Csomor [mailto:csomor@advancedconcepts.ch]=20 Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 10:26 AM To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org Subject: RE: [Mac, 2.8.1] Mac dragging cursor ...

RE: [Mac, 2.8.1] Mac dragging cursor and icon #2
------_=_NextPart_001_01C7BD7E.64CE613A Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable OK, I'll do it. I just need a few pointers to make sure I do it right: =20 1) can you explain what do you mean by generic API? Do I need to implement it (as doing nothing) for all other platforms, or is there another way. I'm not that familiar with these things in WX. 2) Do you have some code that turns a wxBitmap to a CGImage or something like that? =20 =20 =20 ________________________________ From:...

how to get mac address of my system #2
hai, can any one tell me or give me the source code to get the mac address of my linux machine without using the ifconfig command . i need it to be done by c programming. Thanking you, K.Rajasekhar ...

UNIX system compatibility problem #2
Last week I posted a problem I am having compiling a program on a Solaris box, ftp and running on a remote Solaris box. The remote location is outside the U.S. Thank you for such a tremendous response. The problem is not resolved, however I have a little more info: Subject: Re: Possible environment problem? very strange, I have no idea... Looks like a binary, but from how truss and ldd acts I'd say its not Sparc. Did you use and specific compiler settings during compilation? The only thing I can think of that it is compiled for Sparc III only (E280), whereas our machine is a E250 (Spa...

MAC Safari compatibility problem 2
document.[Form Name].[Field Name].focus() will scroll the form to move the specified text field into view on everything I have tried it with except Safari on the MAC. The form doesn't move. Any work around? Thanks. Simon Wigzell wrote: > document.[Form Name].[Field Name].focus() will scroll the form to move the > specified text field into view on everything I have tried it with except > Safari on the MAC. The form doesn't move. Any work around? Thanks. Go to <http://www.caminobrowser.org> and get yourselve a Browser (not a buggy HTML renderer). Advise the same to ...

using an iPod with Mac os 9.2.2 and iTunes 2.0.4 #2
Help! I have just purchased a (3rd gen) iPod as a gift for use with a G4. Unfortunately it turns out that the 'lucky' recipient is using OS 9.2.2 rather than OS X as I had assumed. I have read unsubstantiated reports that it is possible to get this working (despite Apple's recommendations that at least OS 10.1.5 is required) but I am unable to fathom it out (not a regular Mac user). Has anyone managed to get this combo working and if so can they give me any pointers? The iPod is recognised as a firewire HD device on the desktop but does not appear in or sync with iTunes. Please h...

is there any reason I should upgrade from 2.2.5 to 2.2.8a on HP-UX 11 system?
I installed the binaries for 2.2.5 a long while ago on my N4000 HP server running HP11.00. I have joined it to the domain as a client with "security=domain". Is there any reason that I should upgrade to the latest binaries for 2.2.8a? Thanks, Conrad "C. Fritz Matter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:c20gh9$94d@netnews.proxy.lucent.com... > I installed the binaries for 2.2.5 a long while ago on my N4000 HP server > running HP11.00. > I have joined it to the domain as a client with "security=domain". > > Is there ...

RE: mouse clicks and focus on Mac [2.8.1, Mac xcode] #2
>=20 > I remember that wxMSW currently allows the user to define that > behaviour. I think it was that if there is no LeftDown handler > then the window will get the focus automatically. If there is > a LeftDown handler, then the window has to call SetFocus() > itself (or not do it). I'll look into if this is possible under > GTK+ but I somehow doubt that. >=20 > Robert >=20 > Actually if this is the defined behavior of MSW, the same behavior can be implemented on Mac. And I think it should. I'll try to see what can be done and subm...

TE - Mac OS9.2.2 - PD Mac 4.21
I just got my new Tungsten E and I cannot get a hotsync going at all. I had OS 9.2.1 on Power Mac G4 and Palm Desktop 4.1[?] that came with the Disk. I installed everything and could not hot sync - it said "the connection between you handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your set up and try again." I checked the physical connection and I checked my hotsync manager and the connection setting window is blank. Called tech support [in amsterdam and they don't much about Mac] and told me to upgrade my system to 9.2.2 and PD 4.2.1. after unin...

glibc-2.3 code on glibc-2.2 system?
Hi, I have a program that I would like to run on my old glibc-2.2 linux (RedHat 7.3) but it requires glibc-2.3. Is there a way to supply those libraries only to that particular program but keep the rest of the system intact? I really want to avoid a full system upgrade (it is a notebook with all my goodies). I tried using LD_LIBRARY_PATH with a copy of Fedora Core 4 libraries (libc, libpthread), which keeps the linker happy but the program crashes in the end. Also tried adding libm to the list but does not help. Thanks for any help or pointers, Denes P.S: In case it matters, according to ldd, the proggy links against a whole bunch of additional libraries - librt, libXt, libXext, libXmu, libSm, libICE, libX11, libbc, and libdl - but the linker did not complain about these. Denes Molnar wrote: > Hi, > > I have a program that I would like to run on my old glibc-2.2 linux > (RedHat 7.3) but it requires glibc-2.3. Is there a way to supply those > libraries only to that particular program but keep the rest of the > system intact? I really want to avoid a full system upgrade (it is a > notebook with all my goodies). > > I tried using LD_LIBRARY_PATH with a copy of Fedora Core 4 libraries > (libc, libpthread), which keeps the linker happy but the program crashes > in the end. Also tried adding libm to the list but does not help. > > Thanks for any help or pointers, G'day Denes, ...

2 Versions Software, 2 Drives, 2 Operating Systems ?
Hello, I have my hard drive in several partitions/drives and currently use Win 98SE and Easy CD 6. If I set up a dual boot with Win 98SE and XP, can I have Easy CD Creator 6 run on the 98SE drive, and have Easy CD Creator 7.5 run on the XP drive? Will they "coexist" on the same machine? I have many disks of data saved with Easy CD Creator 3 (or 4) and want to continue using version 6 until I've retrieved all the data. If the software would peacefully coexist, I wouldn't have to wait to add and use the XP and version 7.5 as well. Thanks for any thoughts, Ell...

Backward compatibility between 2.5.3 and 2.5.2
I recompiled my code with 2.5.3. Several dialogs get garbaged. Option dialog containing notebook just display an OK button, Splash screen has the wrong size. It looks like 2.5.3 is *not* backward compatible with 2.5.2. For example, wxGetCharSize 4th parameter is now const wxFont& rather than wxFont* as in 2.5.2. If I am correct, where can I find a list of changes to wxWidgets API? Thank you in advance. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dr. Dario de Judicibus - Italy (EU) Site: http://www.dejudicibus.it/ Blog: http://lindipendente.splinder.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...

Building for Mac with 2.5.2 or 2.5.3
What's the educated opinion on porting an application to Mac? We've used 2.4 from CVS for both Windows and Linux but found that there were too many problems with 2.4 when trying to compile on Mac ... now we're not sure if 2.5.3 is a moving target on Mac or should we try staying with 2.5.2? Any expert opinions out in the wild? ....Landon --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org Hi Please use CVS HEAD...

Making a depot compatible with Apache 2.0 and 2.2
Dear, HP-UX 11iv3 of September 2010 contains Apache 2.2, an upgrade from 2.0 that was inside HP-UX for a long time. With this change, the directory for Apache moved from /opt/hpws/apache to /opt/hpws22/apache. I amusing since long a depot file for installation a software package using swinstall. The installer files of the depot (embedded inside the depot) contain the directory /opt/hpws/apache in a hard-wired way. Installing the depot file on an Apache 2.2 installation fails. What I want is to modify the files such that the software package can install on HP-UX releases with A...

system shock 2 #2
Have been replaying SS2 using Kolya's ss2tool http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=392.0 makes it easy to install and play on win7, also the rebirth and shtup mods (model and texture upgrades). The SS2 modding community has done an excellent job. Congrats and thanks to them for keeping this game alive. Was playing Metro 2033 & just stopped - it felt claustrophobic tho' the fx and modelling were great, I felt totally on rails. Had already played New Vegas, Pripyat, so ... dammit I wondered if I was just jaded on games? No. SS2 immediately grabbed me again and I'm p...

Is there a version of Mozilla for Macs with System 9.2?
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --MS_Mac_OE_3173172908_244636_MIME_Part Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Is there a version of Mozilla for Macs with System 9.2? If there is a version, Where can I download a copy of it? --MS_Mac_OE_3173172908_244636_MIME_Part Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Is there a version o...

GK-2 compatable with GK-1 system
Hi, I need a ZD3 pickup system for my Korg Z3 Guitar synth, which is based on the orginal Roland GK-1. Can a GK-2 (13 pin din) be converted to a GK-1 (24 pin) system ? ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- Everything I can find for a Roland GR-1 says they use a GK-2A pickup Here is where you can get one and a guitar to go with it on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLAND-GR-1-GUITAR-SYNTHESIZER-...

pegasus mac ? 2.2
Was there ever a small update to fix the date display in the mailbox? Regards- Richard ...

Installing gnuplot 4.2.2 on Mac G4 under Mac OS X 10.4.11
In attempting to install gnuplot 4.2.2 on a Mac G4 running Mac OS X v. 4.2.2, I got several error messages before the installation failed. The error messages asked that I report these messages to the gnuplot lists, so the excerpt below contains the transcript of the installation. Any suggestions as to how to install gnuplot 4.2.2? Starfighter. Last login: Wed Nov 21 03:22:17 on ttyp1 Welcome to Darwin! dsl092-239-159:/ samueldupree$ tar -xzf gnuplot-4.2.2.tar.gz dsl092-239-159:/ samueldupree$ ls dsl092-239-159:/ samueldupree$ cd gnuplot-4.2.2 dsl092-239-159:/gnuplot-4.2.2 samueldupree$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/ local checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c checking whether build environment is sane... yes checking for gawk... gawk checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes checking for gcc... gcc checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out checking whether the C compiler works... yes checking whether we are cross compiling... no checking for suffix of executables... checking for suffix of object files... o checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed checking for style of include used by make... GNU checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3 checking for function prototypes... yes checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E checking for egrep... grep -E checking for ANSI C header files... yes ...

Web resources about - Mavericks compatibility #2 - comp.sys.mac.system

Electromagnetic compatibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) is the branch of electrical sciences which studies the unintentional generation, propagation and reception ...

Ideal - free compatibility test: zodiac sign, сhinese horoscope, by name on the App Store on iTunes
Get Ideal - free compatibility test: zodiac sign, сhinese horoscope, by name on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

E3 2015 New Xbox One Dashboard with DirectX12/Windows 10 + Backwards Compatibility - YouTube
For more big E3 news and clips be sure to subscribe! BIG changes:Cortana, Shortcut, faster UI, Backwards compatible, Cross platform multiplayer ...

Is compatibility in the stars or your gut?
Is compatability in the stars or your gut? Compatibility; we’re obsessed with it. Does this job suit me? Does this apartment meet my needs? Does ...

E3: Xbox One to gain backwards compatibility
Older Xbox games to work with new console, Microsoft has announced at E3 2015 in Las Vegas.

Xbox One finally finds its feet with backwards compatibility, games-focused dashboard
... snappy video game system. On Friday Microsoft began rolling out the biggest software update yet to its Xbox One console, adding backwards compatibility ...

Apple unveils longer, thinner iPhone 5 with Australian 4G LTE compatibility
APPLE has unveiled a longer iPhone with a large 4-inch screen that will work on Australia's 4G LTE networks operated by Telstra and Optus.

Human frailty and masculinity: Mitch Clark shows their compatibility
Raw and unedited, this was a private hell made instantly public.

Sony brings backwards compatibility to PlayStation with Gaikai deal
First and third-party games to be streamed to hardware

iBooks Textbooks compatibility wording hints at imminent Mavericks arrival, iPhone support
The compatibility requirements for iBooks Author titles in iTunes have changed, potentially hinting at both the imminent launch of Apple’s upcoming ...