Any one? Bueller? NSA?

1
nmassello2 (168)
9/4/2013 12:49:07 PM
comp.sys.mac.system 32677 articles. 24 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9469) is leader. Post Follow

On 2013-09-04, Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
><http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all
>
> Any one? Bueller? NSA?

I don't think it would break compatibility for any application unless there
is some entirely new security system included.

--
Blah blah bleh...
GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

It's probably still under a non-disclosure agreement.  I'd suggest
checking in the Apple developer forums, which are, as far as I know,
the only place it's ok to discuss stuff covered by an NDA.

Billy Y..
--
        sub     #'9+1   ,r0             ; convert ascii byte
	add     #9.+1   ,r0             ; to an integer
  Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.

<1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.

--
Real magic is the hand around the bandsaw, the thrown spark in the
powder keg, the dimension-warp linking you straight into the heart of a
<g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> > Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> > drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> > <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> > yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all
>
> The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
> that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.
>
> <1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.

he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.

how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
probably wouldn't be asking.

once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
upgrade.
0
nospam59 (11087)
9/5/2013 11:08:40 AM
nospam wrote:
> In article <slrnl2fa5m.1td.g.kreme@mbp55.local>, Lewis
> <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>
>>> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
>>> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
>>> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
>>> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
>>> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all
>>
>> The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
>> that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.
>>
>> <1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.
>
> he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
> which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.
>
> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
> probably wouldn't be asking.
>
> once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> upgrade.

There use to be a website you could go to and it would tell you what
apps would work , which need update, and which would never work. Its
been so long I have forgotten the name

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:pjonescet@comcast.net
<pjonescet@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
> >> that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.
> >>
> >> <1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.
> >
> > he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
> > which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.
> >
> > how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
> > to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
> > probably wouldn't be asking.
> >
> > once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> > information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> > but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> > releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> > eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> > upgrade.
> >
> There use to be a website you could go to and it would tell you what
> apps would work , which need update, and which would never work. Its
> been so long I have forgotten the name

that site was mentioned in the original post and quoted above.
0
nospam59 (11087)
9/5/2013 3:25:03 PM
nospam wrote:

>>> he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
>>> which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.
>>>
>>> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
>>> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
>>> probably wouldn't be asking.
>>>
>>> once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
>>> information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
>>> but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
>>> releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
>>> eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>> There use to be a website you could go to and it would tell you what
>> apps would work , which need update, and which would never work. Its
>> been so long I have forgotten the name
>
> that site was mentioned in the original post and quoted above.

didn't notice Sorry!

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:pjonescet@comcast.net
0
pjonescet (208)
9/5/2013 3:47:38 PM
On 13-09-05 07:08, nospam wrote:

> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
> probably wouldn't be asking.

The big change was SnowLeopard to Lion where lots of older apps stopped
working because the PowerPC emulator was removed.

I don't expect Mavericks to be a big step from Lion/Mountain Lion but
you may have to explicitely tell your machine to allow unsigned apps.

Some games might have problems with the computer's display targetted at
a TV via AppleTV but I don't expect this to touch that many apps.
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> upgrade.

As I stated, my primary concern is MS Office, particularly Excel. I'm
currently using Office 2008 and would be quite happy to continue with it
indefinitely. If Office 2008 breaks under Mavericks, I'll grudgingly
move to Office 2011 -- unless it also breaks under Mavericks.

Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
as long as possible.

0
nmassello2 (168)
9/5/2013 6:37:01 PM
In article <1l8q4ax.19s97ur1fzmg52N%nmassello@yahoo.com>,
 nmassello@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> > information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> > but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> > releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> > eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> > upgrade.
>
> As I stated, my primary concern is MS Office, particularly Excel. I'm
> currently using Office 2008 and would be quite happy to continue with it
> indefinitely. If Office 2008 breaks under Mavericks, I'll grudgingly
> move to Office 2011 -- unless it also breaks under Mavericks.
>
> Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> as long as possible.

Depending on your needs, you may be able to get by fine with one of the
open source alternatives to MS Office.

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)
9/5/2013 10:15:57 PM
Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:

> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> > information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> > but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> > releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> > eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> > upgrade.
>
> As I stated, my primary concern is MS Office, particularly Excel. I'm
> currently using Office 2008 and would be quite happy to continue with it
> indefinitely. If Office 2008 breaks under Mavericks, I'll grudgingly
> move to Office 2011 -- unless it also breaks under Mavericks.

Note that MS has stopped issuing updates for Office 2008, so it is
likely to be vulnerable to many security issues that may be discovered
and fixed in Office 2011.

> Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> as long as possible.

Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
subscription to Office 365.

If they don't, it would be another reason for Mac users to wean
themselves off Microsoft Office where possible.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
<dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> > Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> > price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> > Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> > as long as possible.
>
> Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
> chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
> Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
> subscription to Office 365.
>
> If they don't, it would be another reason for Mac users to wean
> themselves off Microsoft Office where possible.

the problem is if you have to interact with the rest of the world who
uses microsoft office, the real thing is required. the alternatives, no
matter how compatible they claim to be, are not compatible enough and
do not work properly.
0
nospam59 (11087)
9/6/2013 1:20:24 AM
David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
> chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
> Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
> subscription to Office 365.

But likely at a higher price. Microsoft no longer ships the
three-license physical media edition of Office 2011, and the new
downloadable edition is roughly three times its per seat price.

I did find a copy of the three-license Office 2011 Home & Student
package for under $120. It's the current code version, so I assume
Microsoft will maintain its compatibility with Mavericks and perhaps
with Cucamonga (or whatever) beyond that.

0
nmassello2 (168)
9/6/2013 7:02:47 AM
In message <5228cebe$0$61529$c3e8da3$f017e9df@news.astraweb.com>
  JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 13-09-05 07:08, nospam wrote:

>> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
>> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
>> probably wouldn't be asking.

> The big change was SnowLeopard to Lion where lots of older apps stopped
> working because the PowerPC emulator was removed.

> I don't expect Mavericks to be a big step from Lion/Mountain Lion but
> you may have to explicitely tell your machine to allow unsigned apps.

Yes, that was the underlying implication in my original reply. Since
10.9 works on ALL machines that 10.8 works on, chances are very good
that all<1> 10.8 compatible apps will continue to work. Is it possible
that something will break? Sure, but it's not very probable. And it's
even less probable it will be something you use.

> Some games might have problems with the computer's display targetted at
> a TV via AppleTV but I don't expect this to touch that many apps.

I can neither confirm nor deny that WoW works perfectly over AirPlay.
Nope, can't do it, sorry.

<1> FSVO 'all'

--
And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew
them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.
 Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > I don't expect Mavericks to be a big step from Lion/Mountain Lion but
> > you may have to explicitely tell your machine to allow unsigned apps.
>
> Yes, that was the underlying implication in my original reply. Since
> 10.9 works on ALL machines that 10.8 works on, chances are very good
> that all<1> 10.8 compatible apps will continue to work. Is it possible
> that something will break? Sure, but it's not very probable. And it's
> even less probable it will be something you use.

You're being reasonable, informative, and articulate.  Please cease that
immediately; it's not allowed here.

--
All usenet users are quirky, but some are more quirky than others.
0
<g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> Yes, that was the underlying implication in my original reply. Since
> 10.9 works on ALL machines that 10.8 works on, chances are very good
> that all<1> 10.8 compatible apps will continue to work. Is it possible
> that something will break? Sure, but it's not very probable. And it's
> even less probable it will be something you use.

just because mavericks works on the same hardware as mountain lion
doesn't mean apps that run under mountain lion will necessarily work
under mavericks.

mavericks has a number of changes that might affect some apps. most
will be fine, but like any os x upgrade (ignoring major changes such as
dropping rosetta), there will be a small number of apps that don't work
or will have minor issues.
0
nospam59 (11087)
9/6/2013 9:29:06 PM
On 2013.09.04 08:49 , Neill Massello wrote:
> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

Mavericks looks like a lot of OS enhancement without subtraction.  So
existing apps will make the same calls to the same libraries and get the
same actions performed and same results back.

Existing apps won't use any new functions added to the framework(s), of
course and it would be up to those app co's to decide if it were worth
pursuing.

That said - major OS updates have a way of "revealing" weaknesses in
existing code.

An app update that would be welcome, for example (and not a Mavericks
related update per se), would be if Handbrake would use OpenGL/CL to
perform its conversions using the graphics processor(s) rather than the
CPU.  I would venture that a several fold improvement in speed would be
gained.

The best part of that is that it would be OS portable so it would work
on Windows and Linux as well.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,
On 2013.09.07 10:00 , Alan Browne wrote:

> An app update that would be welcome, for example (and not a Mavericks
> related update per se), would be if Handbrake would use OpenGL/CL to
> perform its conversions using the graphics processor(s) rather than the
> CPU.  I would venture that a several fold improvement in speed would be
> gained.

Looks like there is a beta with OpenCL but doesn't appear to be in the
main release line to date.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
                                                  -Unknown
0
alan.browne (4546)
9/7/2013 2:10:44 PM
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1l8rwvj.qqvqxa2q7udeN%dempson@actrix.gen.nz>, David Empson
> <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> > > Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> > > price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> > > Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> > > as long as possible.
> >
> > Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
> > chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
> > Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
> > subscription to Office 365.
> >
> > If they don't, it would be another reason for Mac users to wean
> > themselves off Microsoft Office where possible.
>
> the problem is if you have to interact with the rest of the world who
> uses microsoft office, the real thing is required. the alternatives, no
> matter how compatible they claim to be, are not compatible enough and
> do not work properly.

That's what I meant by "where possible". Those who need full
compatibility can run into problems unless they can run the same version
of Office on the same platform (and even then might have problems with
fonts).

Even Microsoft can't make Office versions which are 100% compatible
between platforms (or between versions on the same platform), but they
get closer than the alternatives.

My user group's secretary complains about the formatting of our rather
simple committee minutes getting stuffed up when I edit them on Office
2011 (Mac) while she is using Office 2010 (Windows), but I don't know
exactly what the problem is.

Microsoft Office is a bad de facto standard. Unfortunately the near
monopoly of Windows and Office propogates it and those on the outside
have to deal with it.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
 andremoore74@gmail.com wrote:

> Im running mavericks Gold beta and Office doesn't work. Crashes every time I
> try and open it. i just get a pop up asking if i want to send the info to
> Microsoft

What version of Office are using?
0
xyz6528 (45)
10/9/2013 2:45:19 AM
In article <e333692e-2b1f-477d-8f25-02f58057c6a5@googlegroups.com>,
 andremoore74@gmail.com wrote:

> Im running mavericks Gold beta and Office doesn't work. Crashes every time I
> try and open it. i just get a pop up asking if i want to send the info to
> Microsoft

Ain't  Mavericks proper out??? Go 'n goog 4 it!
--
teleportation kills
0
On 09/10/2013 10:10, android wrote:

> Ain't  Mavericks proper out??? Go 'n goog 4 it!

No, it ain't. As the fact that you have to 'goog 4 it' would suggest.

--
Xbox: GallusNumpty  Steam: scottishwildcat
0
 Calum <com.gmail@nospam.scottishwildcat> wrote:

> On 09/10/2013 10:10, android wrote:
>
> > Ain't  Mavericks proper out??? Go 'n goog 4 it!
>
> No, it ain't. As the fact that you have to 'goog 4 it' would suggest.

I'm big enough to admit a mistake...  http://tinyurl.com/mkbx4zl Stay
tuned! Didn't really need to Goog that one! ;-p
My advice to the OP is to stick to the NeoOffice  for the time being.
--
teleportation kills
0

There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.

Numbers is a different product, makes my saved .csv file incompatible.

Numbers doesn't accept pasted data like Excel does.
0
nbbooks (1)
11/27/2013 3:38:24 PM
<nbbooks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Office 2008 crashes. Hard.
>
> There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.

Other users don't seem to have many problems using MS Office 2008 in
Mavericks.

<http://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2008>

0
nmassello
11/27/2013 7:25:35 PM
On 2013-11-27 19:25:35 +0000, Neill Massello said:

> <nbbooks@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Office 2008 crashes. Hard.
>>
>> There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.
>
> Other users don't seem to have many problems using MS Office 2008 in
> Mavericks.
>
> <http://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2008>

If I'm reading that right, it means that 5 people have reported that it
works fine.  That's hardly indicative of much.

My own experience?  Excel 2008 crashed repeatedly under Mavericks.  I'd
been meaning to remove Office 2008 and replace it with 2011 (which I
already have on the other machines) for a good while, and Mavericks was
the last straw.

And it was pretty solid under ML and previous OSs.

FWIW.

2011 has been completely solid.

0
BreadWithSpam (1707)
11/27/2013 11:41:07 PM
On 2013-11-27 23:41:07 +0000, Bread said:

> On 2013-11-27 19:25:35 +0000, Neill Massello said:
>
>> <nbbooks@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Office 2008 crashes. Hard.
>>>
>>> There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.
>>
>> Other users don't seem to have many problems using MS Office 2008 in
>> Mavericks.
>>
>> <http://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2008>
>
> If I'm reading that right, it means that 5 people have reported that it
> works fine.  That's hardly indicative of much.

It's indicative that 2008 isn't universally crippled by Mavericks, and
that you might well be able to have it "work fine" yourself if it
weren't for some unknown issue which may not be MicroSoft's fault.  I
say that as someone who hates MS products and has refused to use them
for almost 10 years.

> My own experience?  Excel 2008 crashed repeatedly under Mavericks.  I'd
> been meaning to remove Office 2008 and replace it with 2011 (which I
> already have on the other machines) for a good while, and Mavericks was
> the last straw.
>
> And it was pretty solid under ML and previous OSs.
>
> FWIW.
>
> 2011 has been completely solid.

0
gtr
11/28/2013 3:49:37 PM
On 11/28/13, 10:49 AM, gtr wrote:
> It's indicative that 2008 isn't universally crippled by Mavericks, and
> that you might well be able to have it "work fine" yourself if it
> weren't for some unknown issue which may not be MicroSoft's fault.  I
> say that as someone who hates MS products and has refused to use them
> for almost 10 years.

As you implied, Office 2008 on Mavericks works fine here, although I use
it only when necessary.
0
Joe

Message Compatibility
Hello, Please let me know if I send the message supported by a CAN network node to the FlexRay supported network then would it be compatible and supported by a Flexray network or vice versa. ...

rollover?? Help pls! #2
Hi! Submitting a domain to dnsreport.com I get this: WARNING: Your SOA serial number is: 1128029114. That is OK, but the recommended format (per RFC1912 2.2) is YYYYMMDDnn, where 'nn' is the revision. For example, if you are making the 3rd change on 02 May 2000, you would use 2000050203. This number must be incremented every time you make a DNS change. Your SOA serial appears to be the number of seconds since midnight 01 Jan 1970 when the last DNS change was made (tinydns format). That works out to be Thu Sep 29 17:25:14 2005 GMT. Could anyone pls tell me how to fi...

open HTML file #2
Can I open html file as a webpage rather than open it in the help browser? Thanks.... Meiling Or can I actually close the 'Help Navigator' when the help browser is open! Thanks Ho Meiling wrote: > > > Or can I actually close the 'Help Navigator' when the help browser > is > open! > > Thanks Did you look for it? View->Help View Options->Show Help Navigator Or just open the page in your webbrowser .... [matlabroot]\help\techdoc\begin_here.html Jos Hi, What i mean is that can i make it default that whenever the help browser is open, the help na...

ANN: PyMedia 1.2.2( Python mutlimedia framework )
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0064_01C45145.3BA2BA10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi all, Just wanted to let you know that PyMedia 1.2.2 is out. What is it ? ---------------------------------------------------------------- PyMedia is a media library for Python based on the following libraries: libavcodec, libavformat, libdvdcss, libdvdread It has simple interface and yet powerfull for multimedia apps written in Python. Features -------------------------------...

Gateway Solo 2500 and 2550 battery compatibility
The battery on my Gateway Solo 2550 has finally given up the ghost. For a while it has had a reduced capacity, but now it is definitely gone. I've checked on the Gateway US website. There is no mention of a battery for the 2550. But they do offer a battery for the 2500 for only $99, which is a very good price. I asked Gateway, but they don't even want to answer such a basic question simply because I am not in the USA. Anyone know whether the battery for the 2500 is compatible with the 2550 ? Or maybe any battery from another laptop, e.g. a Compaq ? I don't Know the answer...

[SLUG] Suncoast LUG Meetings #2
************************************* * Suncoast Linux Users Group (SLUG) * * Meeting Schedule * ************************************* SARASOTA/BRADENTON *************************************** 20 February 18:00-21:00 Sarasota (third Tuesday of each month) New College Math Reading Room, HNS 106 5700 N. Tamiami Trail Sarasota, FL 34243 See http://www.ncf.edu/about/directions.html and http://www.ncf.edu/about/pdf/map.pdf for maps DUNEDIN **********...

Cisco 806 IOS and SSH / IPSEC compatibility
I recently purchased a Cisco 806 router and am attempting to configure both vpn tunneling and SSH. When I try to enter the "crypto" command or "ip ssh" command, they are not valid. I am fairly certain that I have the IOS which supports IPSEC 3DES which should in turn support SSH functionality. Posted is my "show version": 00:27:53: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C806 Software (C806-O3SY6-M), Version 12.2(4)YH, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEA SE SOFTWARE (fc1) Synched to technology version 12.2(7...

Gothic 2 annoyances
Hmm, I'm in chapter one of Gothic 2, after segueing directly from replaying Gothic 1, and I'm finding a few annoyances. First, there is just way too much vegetation. I can't see much, and trying to locate stuff on the ground is slow and tedious. I was even standing on a sword and didn't notice it, much less the important plants that were hidden under ferns. In Gothic 1 the items were a bit brighter than the normal objects, but here they seem dark, almost black, which gets lost in shadows. Is there any way to just spray agent orange over everything? Turning down texture an...

CFP: TCS special issue on Automated Reasoning for Security Protocol Analysis #2
Special Issue of Theoretical Computer Science on Automated Reasoning for Security Protocol Analysis http://www.avispa-project.org/arspa *********************** *** CALL FOR PAPERS *** *********************** BACKGROUND AND SCOPE ==================== In connection with The Second Workshop on Automated Reasoning ...

Hi all, I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i client connected to oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) , and I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. Thanks Angel R. wrote: > Hi all, > I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i > client connected to > oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) > , and > I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. > > Thanks If...

about matlab code #2
I have an idea of doing a project on fingerprint recognition. the fingerprint of person must be captured and must be compared it with the one stored in the database. How to store a set of prints in the database. please anyone guide me with any tips related to my project "I WANT SOME MATLAB CODE RAGARDING TO FINGER PRINT RECOGNITION"I WANT WHOLE MATLAB CODE. I WANT TO STUDY AND TO MAKE SOME REMODELING IN THAT ONE .PLEASE SOME HAVE TO HELP ME GETTING REGARDING THE POJECT ............... ...

PyDev 2.2.1 Released
Hi All, PyDev 2.2.1 has been released Details on PyDev: http://pydev.org Details on its development: http://pydev.blogspot.com Release Highlights: ------------------------------- Quick-outline * Parent methods may be shown with a 2nd Ctrl+O. * The initial node is selected with the current location in the file. Extract local refactoring * Option to replace duplicates. * Fixed issue where wrong grammar could be used. Others * Improved handling of Ctrl+Shift+T so that no keybinding conflict takes place (now it'll be only active on the PyDev views/editor). * PyLint markers alway...

Re: Inauguration Requires Boost In Bandwidth #2
Marcus Didius Falco wrote: > Take a look down near the bottom on Cingular's giving special access codes > for big-wigs. > http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=3Dstory&cid=3D1804&u=3D/washpost/20041229/tc > _washpost/a32469_2004dec28&printer=3D1=20 > By Yuki Noguchi, Washington Post Staff Writer > Preparing wireless networks for an event like next month's > presidential inauguration has become as critical as erecting the > barricades and ordering the party platters. > Several hundred thousand VIPs, protesters, police officers and >...

Beyond Sync 2.1
Are your family pictures, personal emails, and music files safe from dangerous viruses and hard drive crashes? Do you backup your office documents daily? Have you ever overwritten newer files by mistake? Your data is one of your most valuable assets! Protect them with Beyond Sync file backup and synchronization software - start today! Beyond Sync is a Powerful & Easy-to-use file sync and backup utility. It can backup files to your hard disk, network folder, external disks etc. It can also synchronize your files between two local folders, network folders, ZIP disks and laptops. Be...

BMDBFCDX error #2
This sample give me error "Unrecoverable error 9105: hb_cdxIndexLockWrite: writeLock after readLock." Can i do something? REQUEST BMDBFCDX FUNCTION MAIN rddsetdefault( "BMDBFCDX" ) SET OPTIMIZE ON set deleted off aDbf := {} AADD( aDbf, { "FN", "N", 10, 0 } ) AADD( aDbf, { "FNF", "N", 12, 4 } ) AADD( aDbf, { "FC", "C", 40, 0 } ) AADD( aDbf, { "FD", "D", 8, 0 } ) AADD( aDbf, { "FL", "L", 1, 0 } ) AADD( aDbf, { "FM", "M", 0, 0 } ) FOR A=1 TO 200 ...

Font problem #2
On my Windows XP system, several days ago the default font-style of most of the headings I see online, e.g., in newspapers, has changed to Italic or Oblique from Normal. I wish to return to my Normal font-styles. How can I check if there is a missing or corrupted font? Thanks, CMA cmar wrote: > On my Windows XP system, several days ago the default font-style of most of > the headings I see online, e.g., in newspapers, has changed to Italic or > Oblique from Normal. I > wish to return to my Normal font-styles. > How can I check ...

RE: Informix Licensing and Pricing Schemes. #2
We have an IDS9 database supporting 580 RDS users, 40 remote user connections and a further 8 remote enquiry connections. It further uses ER to maintain an (7.31) instance on a second box that supports 200 intranet enquiry users. The system handles the entire processes of the business from order entry through stock maintenance to back-end financials. Not so much business=20 critical as business failing if it stops !! This runs 24 x 7 x 52 weeks a year and gets an occasional reboot every 3 or 4 months, usually when something else on the machine needs maintenance! I maintain this on a p...

Call for Papers: The 2008 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA'08), USA, July 2008 #2
C A L L F O R P A P E R S =============================== The 2008 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications PDPTA'08 Date and Location: July 14-17, 2008, Las Vegas, USA You are invited to submit a full paper for consideration. All accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings/ book. SCOPE: Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following: O Parallel/Distributed architectures: Clusters and parallel systems of various topo...

Chroma Midi interface for Apple 2+?
I recently came into a 2+ that came with 3 midi boards and an external midi module. It has the name Chroma on it. It has some midi ports. I will take some photos and post to my picassa web-albums in the next couple days. Can anyone tell me anything about these? I fear I will have a hard time finding a use for this. Jamie. On Feb 26, 11:19 pm, macdog <bigdog...@gmail.com> wrote: > I recently came into a 2+ that came with 3 midi boards and an external > midi module. It has the name Chroma on it. It has some midi ports. > I will take some photos and post to my picassa web-a...

cygwin #2
Thank you for kde suggestion gentlemen. I have downloaded kde onto Cygwin and I can get it to run albeit slowly. It runs at about half the speed of the window2K installation it is on top of. That is going to be unfortunate as I can just hear my users now saying "what is this slow kde thing". Perhaps a suggestion or two on how to make it faster. On another related issue, I kinda like the program "konsole", but it doesnt want to run with this Cygwin/KDE installation on windows. Does anyone have any ideas? -- Charles Krinke http://home.pacbell.net/cfk cfk@pacbell.net On F...

MixTeX 2.5 and BibTeX
Hello, I have just installed MixTeX 2.5. To some reason, WinEdt doesn't latex the files containing BibTeX bibliography. Any help is much appreciated. Reza ...

Custom function #2
Hello I have created a function. function unHide (fieldname) { .... not important... document.form1.fieldname.style.visibility = 'visible'; } I have a field name called country in a form. When the onclick="unHide('country')" is used then the above function does not work but if i change the following line within the function document.form1.country.style.visibility = 'visible'; then it works. What am i doing wrong. Newbie so please keep it simple. Regards Bundy Bundy wrote: > Hello > > I have created a function. > > function unHid...

Bison 2.7 is released
The Bison team is happy to announce the release of Bison 2.7. There are many nice new features (especially in the way the diagnostics are produced, and in the graph representation of the parser), implemented by Thiophile Ranquet for most of them. See the list below. Cheers! Here are the compressed sources: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bison/bison-2.7.tar.gz (3.0MB) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bison/bison-2.7.tar.xz (1.7MB) Here are the GPG detached signatures[*]: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bison/bison-2.7.tar.gz.sig ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bison/bison-2.7.tar.xz.sig Use a mirror f...

Photoshop Elements in Mavericks
I just upgraded to Mavericks and now Photoshop Elements 8 won't launch. Instead of launching, PSE says "Licensing for this product has stopped working" and "Error: 150:30". I went to the Adobe web site and found a page for this problem. Following the instructions I deleted the ~/user/Library files for Flexnet and downloaded LicenseRecovery 111, which wouldn't run. My guess it was written for an earlier version of OS X. I put the problem on an Adobe forum and got 47 reads and no replies. Does anyone here have a suggestion? -- John Varela I...

NIS on solaris 2.6
I have just loaded up solaris 2.6 on a sparcstation, to emulate my work environment I inherited. My work environment has a NIS domain with a 2.6 NIS master after my home install I don't seem to have the files needed to start NIS on the fresh 2.6? any ideas new# ls /var/yp aliases binding nicknames old# ls /var/yp Makefile amd.home.time hosts.time protocols.time Makefile.2.6 auto.home.time image.time publickey.time Makefile.dvinci bin netgroup.time rpc.time Makefile.elderly binding netid.time s...