yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

Any one? Bueller? NSA?

1
Reply nmassello2 (168) 9/4/2013 12:49:07 PM

See related articles to this posting

On 2013-09-04, Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
><http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all
>
> Any one? Bueller? NSA?

I don't think it would break compatibility for any application unless there
is some entirely new security system included.

--
Blah blah bleh...
GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

In comp.sys.mac.system Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> asks:

> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

It's probably still under a non-disclosure agreement.  I'd suggest
checking in the Apple developer forums, which are, as far as I know,
the only place it's ok to discuss stuff covered by an NDA.

Billy Y..
--
        sub     #'9+1   ,r0             ; convert ascii byte
	add     #9.+1   ,r0             ; to an integer

In message <1l8nuh5.jdjx2fhnkxouN%nmassello@yahoo.com>
  Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.

<1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.

--
Real magic is the hand around the bandsaw, the thrown spark in the
powder keg, the dimension-warp linking you straight into the heart of a

In article <slrnl2fa5m.1td.g.kreme@mbp55.local>, Lewis
<g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> > Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> > drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> > <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> > yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all
>
> The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
> that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.
>
> <1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.

he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.

how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
probably wouldn't be asking.

once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
upgrade.
0
Reply nospam59 (11087) 9/5/2013 11:08:40 AM

nospam wrote:
> In article <slrnl2fa5m.1td.g.kreme@mbp55.local>, Lewis
> <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>
>>> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
>>> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
>>> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
>>> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
>>> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all
>>
>> The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
>> that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.
>>
>> <1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.
>
> he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
> which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.
>
> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
> probably wouldn't be asking.
>
> once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> upgrade.

There use to be a website you could go to and it would tell you what
apps would work , which need update, and which would never work. Its
been so long I have forgotten the name

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:pjonescet@comcast.net

In article <l0a79e$p9i$1@news.albasani.net>, PhillipJones
<pjonescet@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> The only thing I can say<1> is that 10.9 runs on every single machine
> >> that 10.8 runs on. You can take that as you will.
> >>
> >> <1> No, really, since it's been widely reported, I can say it.
> >
> > he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
> > which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.
> >
> > how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
> > to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
> > probably wouldn't be asking.
> >
> > once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> > information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> > but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> > releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> > eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> > upgrade.
> >
> There use to be a website you could go to and it would tell you what
> apps would work , which need update, and which would never work. Its
> been so long I have forgotten the name

that site was mentioned in the original post and quoted above.
0
Reply nospam59 (11087) 9/5/2013 3:25:03 PM

nospam wrote:

>>> he wasn't asking about which machines will run mavericks, but rather
>>> which apps may have issues when running under mavericks.
>>>
>>> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
>>> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
>>> probably wouldn't be asking.
>>>
>>> once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
>>> information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
>>> but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
>>> releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
>>> eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>> There use to be a website you could go to and it would tell you what
>> apps would work , which need update, and which would never work. Its
>> been so long I have forgotten the name
>
> that site was mentioned in the original post and quoted above.

didn't notice Sorry!

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:pjonescet@comcast.net
0
Reply pjonescet (208) 9/5/2013 3:47:38 PM

On 13-09-05 07:08, nospam wrote:

> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
> probably wouldn't be asking.

The big change was SnowLeopard to Lion where lots of older apps stopped
working because the PowerPC emulator was removed.

I don't expect Mavericks to be a big step from Lion/Mountain Lion but
you may have to explicitely tell your machine to allow unsigned apps.

Some games might have problems with the computer's display targetted at
a TV via AppleTV but I don't expect this to touch that many apps.
0
Reply jfmezei.spamnot (9469) 9/5/2013 6:34:37 PM

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> upgrade.

As I stated, my primary concern is MS Office, particularly Excel. I'm
currently using Office 2008 and would be quite happy to continue with it
indefinitely. If Office 2008 breaks under Mavericks, I'll grudgingly
move to Office 2011 -- unless it also breaks under Mavericks.

Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
as long as possible.

0
Reply nmassello2 (168) 9/5/2013 6:37:01 PM

In article <1l8q4ax.19s97ur1fzmg52N%nmassello@yahoo.com>,
 nmassello@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> > information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> > but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> > releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> > eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> > upgrade.
>
> As I stated, my primary concern is MS Office, particularly Excel. I'm
> currently using Office 2008 and would be quite happy to continue with it
> indefinitely. If Office 2008 breaks under Mavericks, I'll grudgingly
> move to Office 2011 -- unless it also breaks under Mavericks.
>
> Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> as long as possible.

Depending on your needs, you may be able to get by fine with one of the
open source alternatives to MS Office.

JR
0
Reply jollyroger (11010) 9/5/2013 10:15:57 PM

Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:

> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > once mavericks ships, there will no doubt be a *lot* of compatibility
> > information posted. i don't expect too many problems for recent apps,
> > but older ones could have issues. it's not any different than other
> > releases. most stuff works but a small number of apps don't.
> > eventually, nearly all will be fixed, although it may require a paid
> > upgrade.
>
> As I stated, my primary concern is MS Office, particularly Excel. I'm
> currently using Office 2008 and would be quite happy to continue with it
> indefinitely. If Office 2008 breaks under Mavericks, I'll grudgingly
> move to Office 2011 -- unless it also breaks under Mavericks.

Note that MS has stopped issuing updates for Office 2008, so it is
likely to be vulnerable to many security issues that may be discovered
and fixed in Office 2011.

> Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> as long as possible.

Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
subscription to Office 365.

If they don't, it would be another reason for Mac users to wean
themselves off Microsoft Office where possible.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

In article <1l8rwvj.qqvqxa2q7udeN%dempson@actrix.gen.nz>, David Empson
<dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> > Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> > price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> > Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> > as long as possible.
>
> Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
> chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
> Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
> subscription to Office 365.
>
> If they don't, it would be another reason for Mac users to wean
> themselves off Microsoft Office where possible.

the problem is if you have to interact with the rest of the world who
uses microsoft office, the real thing is required. the alternatives, no
matter how compatible they claim to be, are not compatible enough and
do not work properly.
0
Reply nospam59 (11087) 9/6/2013 1:20:24 AM

David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
> chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
> Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
> subscription to Office 365.

But likely at a higher price. Microsoft no longer ships the
three-license physical media edition of Office 2011, and the new
downloadable edition is roughly three times its per seat price.

I did find a copy of the three-license Office 2011 Home & Student
package for under $120. It's the current code version, so I assume
Microsoft will maintain its compatibility with Mavericks and perhaps
with Cucamonga (or whatever) beyond that.

0
Reply nmassello2 (168) 9/6/2013 7:02:47 AM

In message <5228cebe$0$61529$c3e8da3$f017e9df@news.astraweb.com>
  JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 13-09-05 07:08, nospam wrote:

>> how many apps and which ones have issues may affect how soon he decides
>> to upgrade. he no doubt has a machine that can run it, otherwise he
>> probably wouldn't be asking.

> The big change was SnowLeopard to Lion where lots of older apps stopped
> working because the PowerPC emulator was removed.

> I don't expect Mavericks to be a big step from Lion/Mountain Lion but
> you may have to explicitely tell your machine to allow unsigned apps.

Yes, that was the underlying implication in my original reply. Since
10.9 works on ALL machines that 10.8 works on, chances are very good
that all<1> 10.8 compatible apps will continue to work. Is it possible
that something will break? Sure, but it's not very probable. And it's
even less probable it will be something you use.

> Some games might have problems with the computer's display targetted at
> a TV via AppleTV but I don't expect this to touch that many apps.

I can neither confirm nor deny that WoW works perfectly over AirPlay.
Nope, can't do it, sorry.

<1> FSVO 'all'

--
And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew
them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.

In article <slrnl2jrge.bj7.g.kreme@mbp55.local>,
 Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > I don't expect Mavericks to be a big step from Lion/Mountain Lion but
> > you may have to explicitely tell your machine to allow unsigned apps.
>
> Yes, that was the underlying implication in my original reply. Since
> 10.9 works on ALL machines that 10.8 works on, chances are very good
> that all<1> 10.8 compatible apps will continue to work. Is it possible
> that something will break? Sure, but it's not very probable. And it's
> even less probable it will be something you use.

You're being reasonable, informative, and articulate.  Please cease that
immediately; it's not allowed here.

--
All usenet users are quirky, but some are more quirky than others.
0

In article <slrnl2jrge.bj7.g.kreme@mbp55.local>, Lewis
<g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> Yes, that was the underlying implication in my original reply. Since
> 10.9 works on ALL machines that 10.8 works on, chances are very good
> that all<1> 10.8 compatible apps will continue to work. Is it possible
> that something will break? Sure, but it's not very probable. And it's
> even less probable it will be something you use.

just because mavericks works on the same hardware as mountain lion
doesn't mean apps that run under mountain lion will necessarily work
under mavericks.

mavericks has a number of changes that might affect some apps. most
will be fine, but like any os x upgrade (ignoring major changes such as
dropping rosetta), there will be a small number of apps that don't work
or will have minor issues.
0
Reply nospam59 (11087) 9/6/2013 9:29:06 PM

On 2013.09.04 08:49 , Neill Massello wrote:
> Does anybody have any information, rumors, or speculation about whether
> Mavericks bruises or breaks any older but commonly used applications,
> drivers, or other software? The RoaringApps chart
> <http://roaringapps.com/apps:table> doesn't have a column for Mavericks
> yet. I'm mainly interested in MS Office 2008 and 2011, but (almost) all

Mavericks looks like a lot of OS enhancement without subtraction.  So
existing apps will make the same calls to the same libraries and get the
same actions performed and same results back.

Existing apps won't use any new functions added to the framework(s), of
course and it would be up to those app co's to decide if it were worth
pursuing.

That said - major OS updates have a way of "revealing" weaknesses in
existing code.

An app update that would be welcome, for example (and not a Mavericks
related update per se), would be if Handbrake would use OpenGL/CL to
perform its conversions using the graphics processor(s) rather than the
CPU.  I would venture that a several fold improvement in speed would be
gained.

The best part of that is that it would be OS portable so it would work
on Windows and Linux as well.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,

On 2013.09.07 10:00 , Alan Browne wrote:

> An app update that would be welcome, for example (and not a Mavericks
> related update per se), would be if Handbrake would use OpenGL/CL to
> perform its conversions using the graphics processor(s) rather than the
> CPU.  I would venture that a several fold improvement in speed would be
> gained.

Looks like there is a beta with OpenCL but doesn't appear to be in the
main release line to date.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
                                                  -Unknown
0
Reply alan.browne (4546) 9/7/2013 2:10:44 PM

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1l8rwvj.qqvqxa2q7udeN%dempson@actrix.gen.nz>, David Empson
> <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> > > Why do I ask now? Because Office 2011 is starting to become scarce, its
> > > price is creeping up, and I very nuch want to avoid Darth Ballmer's
> > > Office 365, otherwise known as Office Serfdom (Pay Me Forever Edition),
> > > as long as possible.
> >
> > Since Microsoft has released an Office 2013 for Windows, there is a good
> > chance they will continue the pattern and also do an Office 2014 for the
> > Mac, for those who want a standalone application rather than the online
> > subscription to Office 365.
> >
> > If they don't, it would be another reason for Mac users to wean
> > themselves off Microsoft Office where possible.
>
> the problem is if you have to interact with the rest of the world who
> uses microsoft office, the real thing is required. the alternatives, no
> matter how compatible they claim to be, are not compatible enough and
> do not work properly.

That's what I meant by "where possible". Those who need full
compatibility can run into problems unless they can run the same version
of Office on the same platform (and even then might have problems with
fonts).

Even Microsoft can't make Office versions which are 100% compatible
between platforms (or between versions on the same platform), but they
get closer than the alternatives.

My user group's secretary complains about the formatting of our rather
simple committee minutes getting stuffed up when I edit them on Office
2011 (Mac) while she is using Office 2010 (Windows), but I don't know
exactly what the problem is.

Microsoft Office is a bad de facto standard. Unfortunately the near
monopoly of Windows and Office propogates it and those on the outside
have to deal with it.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

Im running mavericks Gold beta and Office doesn't work. Crashes every time I try and open it. i just get a pop up asking if i want to send the info to Microsoft
0
Reply andremoore74 (1) 10/9/2013 2:31:57 AM

In article <e333692e-2b1f-477d-8f25-02f58057c6a5@googlegroups.com>,
 andremoore74@gmail.com wrote:

> Im running mavericks Gold beta and Office doesn't work. Crashes every time I
> try and open it. i just get a pop up asking if i want to send the info to
> Microsoft

What version of Office are using?
0
Reply xyz6528 (45) 10/9/2013 2:45:19 AM

In article <e333692e-2b1f-477d-8f25-02f58057c6a5@googlegroups.com>,
 andremoore74@gmail.com wrote:

> Im running mavericks Gold beta and Office doesn't work. Crashes every time I
> try and open it. i just get a pop up asking if i want to send the info to
> Microsoft

Ain't  Mavericks proper out??? Go 'n goog 4 it!
--
teleportation kills
0

On 09/10/2013 10:10, android wrote:

> Ain't  Mavericks proper out??? Go 'n goog 4 it!

No, it ain't. As the fact that you have to 'goog 4 it' would suggest.

--
Xbox: GallusNumpty  Steam: scottishwildcat
0

In article <l3617m$uan$1@speranza.aioe.org>,
 Calum <com.gmail@nospam.scottishwildcat> wrote:

> On 09/10/2013 10:10, android wrote:
>
> > Ain't  Mavericks proper out??? Go 'n goog 4 it!
>
> No, it ain't. As the fact that you have to 'goog 4 it' would suggest.

I'm big enough to admit a mistake...  http://tinyurl.com/mkbx4zl Stay
tuned! Didn't really need to Goog that one! ;-p
My advice to the OP is to stick to the NeoOffice  for the time being.
--
teleportation kills
0

Office 2008 crashes. Hard.

There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.

Numbers is a different product, makes my saved .csv file incompatible.

Numbers doesn't accept pasted data like Excel does.
0
Reply nbbooks (1) 11/27/2013 3:38:24 PM

<nbbooks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Office 2008 crashes. Hard.
>
> There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.

Other users don't seem to have many problems using MS Office 2008 in
Mavericks.

<http://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2008>

0
Reply nmassello 11/27/2013 7:25:35 PM

On 2013-11-27 19:25:35 +0000, Neill Massello said:

> <nbbooks@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Office 2008 crashes. Hard.
>>
>> There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.
>
> Other users don't seem to have many problems using MS Office 2008 in
> Mavericks.
>
> <http://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2008>

If I'm reading that right, it means that 5 people have reported that it
works fine.  That's hardly indicative of much.

My own experience?  Excel 2008 crashed repeatedly under Mavericks.  I'd
been meaning to remove Office 2008 and replace it with 2011 (which I
already have on the other machines) for a good while, and Mavericks was
the last straw.

And it was pretty solid under ML and previous OSs.

FWIW.

2011 has been completely solid.

0
Reply BreadWithSpam (1707) 11/27/2013 11:41:07 PM

On 2013-11-27 23:41:07 +0000, Bread said:

> On 2013-11-27 19:25:35 +0000, Neill Massello said:
>
>> <nbbooks@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Office 2008 crashes. Hard.
>>>
>>> There is no reference to Office anything in the link above.
>>
>> Other users don't seem to have many problems using MS Office 2008 in
>> Mavericks.
>>
>> <http://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2008>
>
> If I'm reading that right, it means that 5 people have reported that it
> works fine.  That's hardly indicative of much.

It's indicative that 2008 isn't universally crippled by Mavericks, and
that you might well be able to have it "work fine" yourself if it
weren't for some unknown issue which may not be MicroSoft's fault.  I
say that as someone who hates MS products and has refused to use them
for almost 10 years.

> My own experience?  Excel 2008 crashed repeatedly under Mavericks.  I'd
> been meaning to remove Office 2008 and replace it with 2011 (which I
> already have on the other machines) for a good while, and Mavericks was
> the last straw.
>
> And it was pretty solid under ML and previous OSs.
>
> FWIW.
>
> 2011 has been completely solid.

0
Reply gtr 11/28/2013 3:49:37 PM

On 11/28/13, 10:49 AM, gtr wrote:
> It's indicative that 2008 isn't universally crippled by Mavericks, and
> that you might well be able to have it "work fine" yourself if it
> weren't for some unknown issue which may not be MicroSoft's fault.  I
> say that as someone who hates MS products and has refused to use them
> for almost 10 years.

As you implied, Office 2008 on Mavericks works fine here, although I use
it only when necessary.
0
Reply Joe 11/28/2013 4:49:09 PM
comp.sys.mac.system 32277 articles. 23 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Are libc-2.3.2.so & libc-2.2.5.so compatible?
Hi, I have a program developed on a system that uses libc-2.3.2.so that I need to run on a system with libc-2.2.5. My program won't run on the 2.2.5 system. My understanding is that since they're both libc.so.6 they should be compatible (obviously I'm wrong!). Does anyone have suggestions on how to make it work with 2.2.5? Upgrading the library isn't really an option. Thanks! Mark mark <mark_2811nospam@excite.com> writes: > Hi, > > I have a program developed on a system that uses libc-2.3.2.so that I need > to run on a system with libc...

Making a depot compatible with Apache 2.0 and 2.2
Dear, HP-UX 11iv3 of September 2010 contains Apache 2.2, an upgrade from 2.0 that was inside HP-UX for a long time. With this change, the directory for Apache moved from /opt/hpws/apache to /opt/hpws22/apache. I amusing since long a depot file for installation a software package using swinstall. The installer files of the depot (embedded inside the depot) contain the directory /opt/hpws/apache in a hard-wired way. Installing the depot file on an Apache 2.2 installation fails. What I want is to modify the files such that the software package can install on HP-UX releases with A...

Backward compatibility between 2.5.3 and 2.5.2
I recompiled my code with 2.5.3. Several dialogs get garbaged. Option dialog containing notebook just display an OK button, Splash screen has the wrong size. It looks like 2.5.3 is *not* backward compatible with 2.5.2. For example, wxGetCharSize 4th parameter is now const wxFont& rather than wxFont* as in 2.5.2. If I am correct, where can I find a list of changes to wxWidgets API? Thank you in advance. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dr. Dario de Judicibus - Italy (EU) Site: http://www.dejudicibus.it/ Blog: http://lindipendente.splinder.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...

Re: Backward compatibility between 2.5.3 and 2.5.2
Dario de Judicibus: > Vadim Zeitlin wrote: > > and the sizers overview in the manual for more. > > Well, the 2.5.3 manual on www.wxwidgets.org still contains the old = APIs. For > example, wxSizer::Add still returns void. As you pointed out it is _2.5.3_ manual. It simply cannot list API = introduced _after_ 2.5.3 release. Just look in which section of the changes.txt wxSizer::Add is located. > Is there another place where I can find updated docs? Yes, http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/CVS_Docs/ ABX -----------------------------------------------------...

GLIBC 2.3 Backward Compat with GLIBC 2.2.4
We are looking to implement esmtp on one of our RedHat 7.2 servers. As some might know 7.2 comes with glibc 2.2.4 . The latest build of esmtp needs glibc 2.3 . This server houses qmail apache authing to another ldap server. These things are very important obviously. Are these libs going to be backward compatable ? Or should I take caution and do a side by side. Thanks all ...

linspace(2,2,2) returns [2 2] ??
May be the help for linspace should change? It says: "LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) generates N points between X1 and X2." Notice, it says BETWEEN. But when I ask for 2 points, between 2 and 2: ---------------- EDU>> linspace(2,2,2) ans = 2 2 --------------- May be mathematically this is ok? i.e. there are infinite points between the point and itself? (on the real line), but from programming point of view, it is confusing. no? --Nasser Maybe it should say "generates N points between X1 and X2, inclusive." What did you expect to...

2 * 2 * 2 * 2 or pow(2, 4)?
Hi , I hope this isn't too trivial to ask, but I'm evaluating a polynomial that involve lots of terms like x^2y^2z^3, and although I can use the power function pow(a, b), I wonder if just writing x*x*y*y*z*z*z for example wouldn't be more efficient than pow(x, 2)*pow(y, 2)*pow(z,3). Or is it all the same? Thanks, - Olumide Olumide wrote: > I hope this isn't too trivial to ask, but I'm evaluating a polynomial > that involve lots of terms like x^2y^2z^3, and although I can use the > power function pow(a, b), I wonder if just writing x*x*y*y*z*z*z for > exam...

2**2**2**2**2 wrong? Bug?
In Python 2.5 on intel, the statement 2**2**2**2**2 evaluates to >>> 2**2**2**2**2 20035299304068464649790723515602557504478254755697514192650169737108940595563114 53089506130880933348101038234342907263181822949382118812668869506364761547029165 04187191635158796634721944293092798208430910485599057015931895963952486337236720 30029169695921561087649488892540908059114570376752085002066715637023661263597471 44807111774815880914135742720967190151836282560618091458852699826141425030123391 10827360384376787644904320596037912449090570756031403507616256247603186379312648 4703743782954975613770...

nfs and 2.4 / 2.6 compatibility
Hello, I've a server running a Debian Linux with kernel 2.4.27 Since some days ago, i used a Suse 9.1 Linux desktop pc that mounts a nfs shared directory from server, and was working fine. The kernel of this desktop PC was 2.6.5 I've upgraded the desktop PC with a Suse 9.3 linux, based on a kernel 2.6.11 and after this upgrade all nfs operations are very slow. For example, my 2.4.27 server share the directory /home/myshare. On desktop PC, the /home/myshare is mounted on /mnt/myshare. With the previous version of kernel, read and write operations on this mount point was very fast. ...

Compatibility between 2.5b-3 and 2.7b
Hi, I have the following code that works fine in 2.5b-3 (in the ini of the standardshell) (the method fill_report, fills the combo box, self:ocb) oTB := SELF:ToolBar SELF:oCB := Searchbox{SELF, SELF:Toolbar, 4711, Point{0, 0}, Dimension{120,150}, BOXDROPDOWNLIST,CBS_SORT } SELF:fill_report() oTB:AddBand(#FFIND, SELF:oCB, -1, 150, 25,trad(SELF,"Imprimer")) oTB:AppendSubItem(IDT_SUBSCRIPT,IDM_EmptyShellMenu_Utilitaires_Impressions_Imprimer_le_rapport_ID,,,,,,,#FFIND) oTB:AddSubToolBarBand(#Subscript, , 50) oTB:AppendSubItem(#Subscript,7,IDM_EmptyShellMenu_U...

strcompat 0.9.2.2 Released
strcompat-0.9.2.2 was released January 6, 2004. This is the second separate release of the OpenSS7 STREAMS Compatibility Modules that were formerly present in the Linux Fast-STREAMS streams-0.7a.2 release package. These compatibility modules provide source level compatibility with AIX, HPUX, OSF/1, MacOT, Mentat, SUX, Solaris, SUPER/UX, IRIX, LiS, UnixWare and SVR 4.2 STREAMS. The package contains all the necessary manual pages and other documentation in an autoconf tarball. The STREAMS Compatibility Modules package provides the ability for both Linux Fast-STREAMS and Linux STRE...

PageMaker 6 and OS 9.2.2
My dad (G4 Sawtooth/400/1.3G) picked up a copy of PageMaker 6 at a church tagsale, and he and I are both curious as to whether or not it is compatible with OS 9.2.x. His OS X install is Panther, though I'm not sure which maintenance ug is on the system -- this also raises the question: if PM6 is 9.2 compatible, should it also run problem free in Panther's Classic layer, or is the latter too new? TIA Steve W Steve <sjwright68@charter.net> wrote: > My dad (G4 Sawtooth/400/1.3G) picked up a copy of PageMaker 6 at a > church tagsale, and he and I are both curious as to wheth...

Compatibility Of Tornado 2.2 with VxWorks 5.4
Hi, Please anyone clarify the issue regarding the compatibility of Tornado 2.2 with VxWorks 5.4. I am facing problems while using it. Please help. Thanks & Regards Raghu ...

Kernel modules 2.4/2.6 compatible?
Hello, I installed the Rainbow Sentinel drivers (parallel and USB port) on a 2.4 kernel machine and then updated to a 2.6 kernel and everything is still up and running. On a 2.6 machine, I can neither install (version check) nor add the module manually (insmod says 'invalid module format'). If the module is still working after updating to 2.6, shouldn't it be possible to get them running on a 2.6 machine directly? Any ideas what to try? Roman Roman =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?= <romanm@privacy.org> writes: > Hello, > > I installed the Rainbow Sentinel drivers (para...

wxString [] compatibility (2.4.2, MSW) with BCC
Hi, I noticed that BCC gives error messages like Error E2015 ffatomki.cpp 360: Ambiguity between 'wxString::operator [](int) cons t' and 'wxString::operator [](unsigned int)' in function SpectrumESA21::FileMatc hesTemplate(const wxString &,wxClassInfo *) Maybe one should make these colliding declaration Alpha specific Janos --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.htm before posting. To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwindows.org For additional commands, e-mai...

Lyme 2.9.2 (compatible w/ Matlab)
Calerga has released a new version of LyME for Palm OS, a scientific application with a programming language compatible with Matlab with lots of functions for linear algebra, complex numbers, numerical integration, graphics, etc. It's a free download at http://www.calerga.com Enjoy! Yves Yves Piguet wrote: > Calerga has released a new version of LyME for Palm OS, > a scientific application with a programming language > compatible with Matlab with lots of functions for linear > algebra, complex numbers, numerical integration, graphics, > etc. Just to le...

Maverick Agile Development / Maverick Development Model #2
Maverick Development Model and Maverick Agile Methodology By Geoffrey Slinker Abstract With the acceptance of Agile Methodologies the software development community is at a level of understanding to consider a model of development. A model of development differs from methods in that the goal or desired outcome that is the driving force, ever present, and never forgotten throughout the development process. Methods are approaches to achieving goals, but to often the reason for the steps of the methods have been forgotten and no one knows the reason things are done except tha...

Vo2Ado 2.710 is compatible with VO 2.7b
Hello VO developers, Solution Application Software is pleased to announce that Vo2Ado version 2.710 is compatible with Visual Objects 2.7b. -- Robert van der Hulst AKA Mr. Data Vo2Jet & Vo2Ado Support www.sas-software.nl mrdataREMOVE@sas-software.nl ...

2.2.2 Annoyance
Caveat: Python 2.2.2 (#37, Oct 14 2002, 17:02:34) Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "l >>> l = [1,2,3] >>> l[1] 2 >>> l.__getitem__(1) 2 >>> l.__getitem__(slice(1)) Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in ? TypeError: an integer is required >>> According to the manuals of Python 2.2.2, passing a slice object to __getitem__ is all right and should work... Cost a few (grey) hairs of mine, while debugging a largish program, this is not so. Would someone care to pass on th...

VIBE 2.2 #2
About: Visual Information Broker Enterprise (VIBE) is an IDE that enables application developers to automate the design and development of infrastructure components for complex distributed cross-platform, cross-language systems applications. You can define messages and generate infrastructure support code for the IBM MQ information bus, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and other JDBC compliant databases, XML with transformations that use tools like XSL, and J2EE. It also includes a fully functional Business Rules engine, along with a graphical programming environment. Changes: This relea...

OTM 2.2 #2
Hi all Just installed OTM on a cust pc (Win XP) Got a problem that when using the system terminal to access Meridian Mail, I am unable to exit from mail as the Cntrl ] function is not recognised. Now is this a problem with OTM or with the customers PC? Thanks Solved it. The term type was set to VT100 and not VT220 ...

what is 4.2.2.2
Hi I came to found from many websites when i had a problem in Internet explorer when if i browse any websites, its showing me "Page cannot be displayed" and in bottom of the page it shows "Cannot find server or DNS Error" Internet Explorer that they advised me to put 4.2.2.2 in my Primary DNS Server. I am in DHCP enabled Network and using windows xp sp2. My question is what is this ip address mean (4.2.2.2) ? Pl explain in detail. Can we give it in our Primary DNS server ? Thanks in advance Chandra -- chandra Message posted via HWKB.com http:...

Printing 2^1, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4 and 2^5
Hi, When I use a while loop, the output is: 2 4 8 16 32, as desired: <?php $c=1; while($c<=5) { $d = newpow(2, $c); print "$d "; $c++; } function newpow($base, $power) { // statements... } ?> The But when I use a for loop, the output is: 64: <?php for($c=1; $c<=5; $c++); { $d = newpow(2, $c); print "$d "; } function newpow($base, $power) { // statements... } ?> Why is this?? Many thanks, Michael mejpark wrote: > When I use a while loop, the output is: 2 4 8 16 32, as desired: [...] > The But when I use a for loop, the output is: 64...

Does 4/2/2= (4/2)/2 =1 OR = 4/(2/2)=4
I don't have matlab and I am trying to translate some simple matlab code. Does 4/2/2 = (4/2)/2 = 1 or 4/2/2 = 4/(2/2) = 4 On 9/11/2012 9:43 AM, sarah.englander@gmail.com wrote: > I don't have matlab and I am trying to translate some simple matlab code. > > Does 4/2/2 = (4/2)/2 = 1 yes. At a given precedence level (and obviously two of the same operators are the same level) evaluation proceeds from LtoR. ....snip... <http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_prog/f0-40063.html#f0-38155> -- dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <...