Microsoft BitLocker

Was in a lockup yesterday for briefing on an important CRTC decision.

CRTC handed a USB key with the lenghty decision in it. Everyone had Macs
and couldn't open it.

When plugged in, OS-X says it didn't recognize the content and offered
to format the USB key.

One guy did have a windows laptop and was able to open it (it was
passowrd protected. (he then created a normal USB key which was then
distributed. (sign of the times that everyone else had mac laptops).

I was told this was a Microsoft "BitLocker" tech.

Is this highly proprietary or is there reliable 3rd party support for
this "file system" ?  (I assume that under Unix, this would be treated
as an alternate file system ?)

0
JF

On 2016-12-22 18:46, JF Mezei wrote:

> Was in a lockup yesterday for briefing on an important CRTC decision.
>
> CRTC handed a USB key with the lenghty decision in it. Everyone had Macs
> and couldn't open it.
>
> When plugged in, OS-X says it didn't recognize the content and offered
> to format the USB key.
>
> One guy did have a windows laptop and was able to open it (it was
> passowrd protected. (he then created a normal USB key which was then
> distributed. (sign of the times that everyone else had mac laptops).
>
> I was told this was a Microsoft "BitLocker" tech.
>
> Is this highly proprietary or is there reliable 3rd party support for
> this "file system" ?  (I assume that under Unix, this would be treated
> as an alternate file system ?)

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=microsoft+bitlocker

I do find it amusing that the idiots at the CRTC assumed all attendees
would have Windows machines.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Was in a lockup yesterday for briefing on an important CRTC decision.
>
> CRTC handed a USB key with the lenghty decision in it. Everyone had Macs
> and couldn't open it.
>
> When plugged in, OS-X says it didn't recognize the content and offered
> to format the USB key.
>
> One guy did have a windows laptop and was able to open it (it was
> passowrd protected. (he then created a normal USB key which was then
> distributed. (sign of the times that everyone else had mac laptops).
>
> I was told this was a Microsoft "BitLocker" tech.
>
> Is this highly proprietary or is there reliable 3rd party support for
> this "file system" ?  (I assume that under Unix, this would be treated
> as an alternate file system ?)

i don't know how well this works but it claims to read it:
<http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/outils/dislocker/>
0
nospam
12/23/2016 12:24:22 AM
On 2016-12-22 19:18, Alan Browne wrote:

> https://lmgtfy.com/?q=microsoft+bitlocker

Found a microsoft page explaining it. But it was all about the system
disk. And it mentioned needing to be NTFS formatted.

Apart from that, no information on what is actually done. (is encryption
at disk or file level for instance).

Was the USB key unrecognized simply because it was NTFS formatted and
not because it was encrypted ? (aka, if OS-X could read NTFS, would it
have mounted the disk, shown the files, but the contents of files would
be garbled ?

> I do find it amusing that the idiots at the CRTC assumed all attendees
> would have Windows machines.

This was a decision kept secret for a while and they probably required
some sort of secure password protection on the material they prepared in
advance to prevent it leaking.

Zipping contents with a password would have sufficed.
0
JF
12/23/2016 4:53:11 AM
On 2016-12-22 23:53, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 2016-12-22 19:18, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> https://lmgtfy.com/?q=microsoft+bitlocker
>
> Found a microsoft page explaining it. But it was all about the system
> disk. And it mentioned needing to be NTFS formatted.

Then that alone should suffice.  BitLocker is akin to FileVault.  Unless
the OS recognizes that the NTFS volume is also BitLocker encrypted, that
OS will just see it as an uninitiated volume.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
   ..Raj Patel, The Value of Nothing.
0
Alan
12/23/2016 2:20:21 PM
On 2016-12-23 09:20, Alan Browne wrote:

> Then that alone should suffice.  BitLocker is akin to FileVault.  Unless
> the OS recognizes that the NTFS volume is also BitLocker encrypted, that
> OS will just see it as an uninitiated volume.

MUST BitLocker be on NTFS or could they have created FAT or FAT32 USB
key with BitLocker enabled ?

0
JF
12/23/2016 4:16:25 PM
On 2016-12-23 11:16, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 2016-12-23 09:20, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Then that alone should suffice.  BitLocker is akin to FileVault.  Unless
>> the OS recognizes that the NTFS volume is also BitLocker encrypted, that
>> OS will just see it as an uninitiated volume.
>

> MUST BitLocker be on NTFS or could they have created FAT or FAT32 USB
> key with BitLocker enabled ?

I supplied you a vector.  Go read.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
   ..Raj Patel, The Value of Nothing.
0
Alan
12/23/2016 5:47:14 PM
On 2016-12-23, Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-12-23 11:16, JF Mezei wrote:
>> On 2016-12-23 09:20, Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>>> Then that alone should suffice.  BitLocker is akin to FileVault.  Unless
>>> the OS recognizes that the NTFS volume is also BitLocker encrypted, that
>>> OS will just see it as an uninitiated volume.
>>
>> MUST BitLocker be on NTFS or could they have created FAT or FAT32 USB
>> key with BitLocker enabled ?
>
> I supplied you a vector.  Go read.

Reading is hard.

JR
0
Jolly
12/23/2016 5:54:55 PM
On 2016-12-23 12:47, Alan Browne wrote:

> I supplied you a vector.  Go read.

The official Microsoft document only mentioned system disks and those
required NTFS. It did not mention USB keys or other disks.

0
JF
12/24/2016 3:02:46 AM
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Zipping contents with a password would have sufficed.

But that is breakable.
--
Happy Holidays/Season's Greetings/Merry Christmas/Etc. :)
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2016-12-23, Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

> >> MUST BitLocker be on NTFS or could they have created FAT or FAT32 USB
> >> key with BitLocker enabled ?
> >
> > I supplied you a vector.  Go read.

> Reading is hard.

"Math is hard." --Barbie
--
Happy Holidays/Season's Greetings/Merry Christmas/Etc. :)
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
12/24/2016 7:18:35 AM
On 2016-12-23 22:02, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 2016-12-23 12:47, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> I supplied you a vector.  Go read.
>
> The official Microsoft document only mentioned system disks and those
> required NTFS. It did not mention USB keys or other disks.

Any volume can be NTFS.  Any volume can be encrypted.  As you found out.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
   ..Raj Patel, The Value of Nothing.
0
Alan
12/24/2016 3:24:29 PM
On 2016-12-24 10:24, Alan Browne wrote:

> Any volume can be NTFS.  Any volume can be encrypted.  As you found out.

I did not find out if any volume can be "BitLockered".  I only found out
that NTFS can be BitLockered. There was no mention that ONLY NTFS can be
Bitlockered, hence my qwuestion of whether FAT/FAT32 can be BitLockered.

And whether a FAT USB ket that has BitLocker enabled would show up on a
Mac as a FAT disk with visible file names but files containing garbage
or whether the MAC would simply not recognize the volume because even
the FAT table would be encrypted and Os-X would treat dick as unreadable.

0
JF
12/24/2016 7:17:28 PM
In message <saydnWctMZNjgsPFnZ2dnUU7-cmdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

>> Zipping contents with a password would have sufficed.

> But that is breakable.

Not really, no.

--
I WILL NOT FAKE RABIES Bart chalkboard Ep. 8F07
0
  JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-12-24 10:24, Alan Browne wrote:

>> Any volume can be NTFS.  Any volume can be encrypted.  As you found out.

> I did not find out if any volume can be "BitLockered".  I only found out
> that NTFS can be BitLockered. There was no mention that ONLY NTFS can be
> Bitlockered, hence my qwuestion of whether FAT/FAT32 can be BitLockered.

Because you are incapable or using google to get answers trivial questions.

> And whether a FAT USB ket that has BitLocker enabled would show up on a
> Mac as a FAT disk with visible file names but files containing garbage

You would only think this because your tiny broken brain cannot
comprehend what "full disk encryption" means.

> or whether the MAC

What does Media Access Control have to do with anything?

--
'That's blasphemy,' said the vampire. He gasped as Vimes shot him a
glance like sunlight. 'That's what people say when the voiceless speak.'