Networking a non-network printer

If I have a USB printer connected to a machine on my local network, can
I print to it from another machine? I'm thinking that if they're both
OSX, I could in principle ftp a file to the machine with the printer,
telnet in to that machine, and use lpr.  So in theory it must be
possible.

Can it be done via GUI functionality? And more importantly in my case,
can it be done somehow if the target machine is OS9?

In article
<BLOCKSPAMfishfry-EF2D34.20140009012004@netnews.comcast.net>,
 fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfry@your-mailbox.com> wrote:

> If I have a USB printer connected to a machine on my local network, can
> I print to it from another machine? I'm thinking that if they're both
> OSX, I could in principle ftp a file to the machine with the printer,
> telnet in to that machine, and use lpr.  So in theory it must be
> possible.
>
> Can it be done via GUI functionality? And more importantly in my case,
> can it be done somehow if the target machine is OS9?

Unix has the concept of 'remote printers'.  If you have a printer called
'usb' connected to systemA, then you can configure a remote print queue
on systemB that prints to 'usb'.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
vilain (1505)
1/10/2004 6:16:20 AM
In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-EF2D34.20140009012004@netnews.comcast.net>,
 fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfry@your-mailbox.com> wrote:

> If I have a USB printer connected to a machine on my local network, can
> I print to it from another machine? I'm thinking that if they're both
> OSX, I could in principle ftp a file to the machine with the printer,
> telnet in to that machine, and use lpr.  So in theory it must be
> possible.
>
> Can it be done via GUI functionality?

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Printer Sharing.

> And more importantly in my case,
> can it be done somehow if the target machine is OS9?

Printer Sharing will only work when the two computers are both OS9 or both
OSX (10.2 or higher).
0
wayne.morris (951)
1/10/2004 6:42:26 PM
In article <vilain-F44527.22162009012004@comcast.ash.giganews.com>,
 "Michael Vilain <vilain@spamcop.net>" wrote:

> In article
> <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-EF2D34.20140009012004@netnews.comcast.net>,
>  fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfry@your-mailbox.com> wrote:
>
> > If I have a USB printer connected to a machine on my local network, can
> > I print to it from another machine? I'm thinking that if they're both
> > OSX, I could in principle ftp a file to the machine with the printer,
> > telnet in to that machine, and use lpr.  So in theory it must be
> > possible.
> >
> > Can it be done via GUI functionality? And more importantly in my case,
> > can it be done somehow if the target machine is OS9?
>
> Unix has the concept of 'remote printers'.  If you have a printer called
> 'usb' connected to systemA, then you can configure a remote print queue
> on systemB that prints to 'usb'.

Ummm, gee, why can' you turn on printer sharing? Works great for USB
printers on a local network.

System Preferences -> Sharing (under Panther anyway...I don't remember
where it is under earlier versions).

Sharing doesn't work if the printer is on the  OS 9 machines, AFAIK.
However, if the OS X machine is running classic, then it can share a USB
printer connected to it.

All this is described in the Help menu on OS X, BTW.

--
James Meiss
<http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>