networking mac to mac???

Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network  a
ibook running os.9??? possibly to  a new imac running osx

0
rosscoism (1)

5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network  a
> ibook running os.9??? possibly to  a new imac running osx

Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on
one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And
you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs.
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
Jon <see_signature@mac.com.invalid> wrote:

> 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network  a
> > ibook running os.9??? possibly to  a new imac running osx
>
> Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on
> one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And
> you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs.

Correction: tcp/ipp of course needs to be enabled on the ethernet port
on _both_ machines. File sharing, however, is only necessary on one
(preferably the Mac OS X machine).
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc
0
see_signature (1206)
5/7/2007 8:43:12 AM
In article <1hxqr6q.1u7ne805d0g7N%see_signature@mac.com.invalid>,
 see_signature@mac.com.invalid (Jon) wrote:

> Jon <see_signature@mac.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network  a
> > > ibook running os.9??? possibly to  a new imac running osx
> >
> > Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on
> > one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And
> > you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs.
>
> Correction: tcp/ipp of course needs to be enabled on the ethernet port
> on _both_ machines. File sharing, however, is only necessary on one
> (preferably the Mac OS X machine).

You also of course have to enable file sharing on one of the machines.
In OS X this is done using the Sharing panel in System Preferences. In
OS 9, IIRC, it is also called the Sharing control panel.

If you need it, the on-screen Help file gives step-by-step instructions.

--
For email, change <fake> to <earthlink>
Bill Collins
 see_signature@mac.com.invalid (Jon) wrote:

> 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network  a
> > ibook running os.9??? possibly to  a new imac running osx
>
> Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on
> one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And
> you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs.

IME, you may not be able to mount the OS 9 Mac's disk onto the OS X Mac
(some work, some don't; no idea why). The other way around should work
fine, but you may have to do it by entering the IP of the OS X Mac into
the other's Chooser. Then you can access the OS X Mac's "Public" folder,
even without a password.

Isaac
0
isw (728)

Mac to mac

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Just happened. Kind of weird. -- Arf! Old CSMAer Nice! At work I'm stuck on Windows, plus at home my roommate and girlfrield both use Windows. Good thing is I have my ibook at work and both my roommate and gf are getting Macs after their Dell's are paid off. They use Mac's at work and see how my PowerMac at home works while their PeeCee's hose daily. They hate Windows now :) So i'm getting there :) Alex "OldCSMAer" <olddog@kennelsINVALID.com> wrote in message news:olddog-F4AC87.15141003082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com... >I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free > world: > > My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and > urologist are all Mac. No PCs. > > Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac > (no surprise there). > > My dau...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

Networking Mac to PC & Pc to Mac
Hello, I would like to access my PC from my Mac & my Mac & a HP Printer from my PC. My Mac is running Tiger & the PC XP Pro. I have a router (or a hub) between the 2 machines & I would like to know how to have each one recognize (& communicate) with the other. Going through the internet is *not* an option. If more info is needed, please don't hesitate to ask; I've been struggling with this for 3 days now. Thanks, Bloop In article <r6frf.88639$WH.83544@dukeread01>, Coxy <srukin@cox.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to access my PC...

WakeOnLAN Mac to Mac over the net?
My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've configured it to sleep when not in use. So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on my end, which doesn't do any ...

[OT] A Mac emulator for... Mac. ;-)
The Mac on Linux emulator now has a native Mac port of the software. It still isn't as 'user friendly' as typical Mac applications are (i.e. you have to use disk utility to create disk images) and there's no Tiger support yet (either as host or guest), but on the flip side I hear it gets pretty good performance and with support hopefully they can get those usability and Tiger issues fixed. :-) In addition to running Mac OS X, it also allows developers to run Classic Mac OS and PPC Linux under emulation. This also makes me wonder what options would be ava...

Mac and non Mac Partition
Hello, I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable stup. The problem for instance in a Fat16 partion the mac write some "._blahblah" files. And some player doesn't like these file and get frozen. I have to plug the player (or it's memory card) to a Pc, the remove these file in order to make it working. Is there a way to avoid this ? Thanks John In article <4a4cc7f2$0$12658$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, John <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable ...

Sharing/Accessing Mac-PC & PC-.Mac (Networking)
Hello group, I have a G3 Mac running Tiger, I would like to share it with a PC running XP as well as share the XP with the Mac. This would include sharing an HP printer hooked up to the Mac. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

10.4.7 Mac-to-Mac Networking: Comprehensive Report
Seems better, faster, AFP connections are again more reliable to make and sustain, and the overall improvement has given me the warm fuzzies. Although, in the interest of full disclosure, this aspect of OS X has been all over the lot with many of the interim updates. It's gone from great, not as great, meh, eh, OFFS!, ahh, okay, yippee, whee!, ugh, yeah, sweet, WT?, *stab* stab*, thank you, good, better, OMFG!, still better, yep, that'll do it. Apologies in advance for the extensive use of jargon and complex performance statistics contained herein. -- -John Steinberg email: not@th...

Moving a User from Mac to Mac...
I currently have two old Macs...let's call them my MAIN Mac (a G4 running Tiger) and my OTHER Mac (early Intel iMac also running Tiger). And, I'm about to purchase a NEW Mac. (3 Macs...MAIN, OTHER and NEW) What I'd like to do is move virtually everything (user accounts, applications, settings, documents, etc.) from my current MAIN Mac to my NEW Mac. I've never actually done this before, but I believe, on initial install of the NEW Mac, the Mac OS actually asks if you want to do just this. Question#1: If the above is true, what cable is required during the install process whe...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio P
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr ...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' tk , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , ola@mail.gr, ola3@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk --------------------------------------- 2007-10-15 MacDrive 7.0.10 Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac (1 cd) 2007-10-02 MakeMusic Finale 2008 for Mac (3 cd) 2007/10/02 Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID 1DVD 2007-10-05 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.2 for Mac ------------------------------------------------------- 2007/09/29 Autodesk Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/25 FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/14 Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite 4.5.3 for Mac 2007/09/09 Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel (1 dvd) MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac (1 cd) Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac (1 cd) Vertus Fluid Mask 3.0.1 for Mac -------------------------------...

Mac
Waiting at the car wash, they have three Windows PC and a Mac for you to use while you're waiting. Tried the Mac. Not impressed, at all. Clumsy, limited options, ass-backward caption bar, crappy mouse response (though probably the mouse just needs a mouse pad to work better), incredible lack of preferences options, new windows don't always get focus. Safari was disappointing compared to Chrome or Firefox. And I didn't even get to the console terminal or compiler environment. I lasted five minutes, and was tired of playing with the Mac. Not the fairest test, of cour...

Mac
My PC crashed I am looking to purchase a mac. I have never used mat lab but will be required to do so for my regression class. in class I will have to work with mat lab pc files. is this possible on Mac and how cumbersome is the process? Thank YOu, Daniel Fell dfell@chicagogsb.edu Daniel Fell <danielfell125@yahoo.com> wrote: > My PC crashed I am looking to purchase a mac. I have never > used mat lab but will be required to do so for my > regression class. in class I will have to work with mat > lab pc files. is this possible on Mac and how cumbersome is > t...

mac
compatibility ...

2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTI
2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro.for.Mac.OS 1C...

2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTI #2
2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro.for.Mac.OS 1C...

Adobe.CS3.Web.Premium.Vol.MAC.OSX 1DVD, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/April/28, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS',
Adobe.CS3.Web.Premium.Vol.MAC.OSX 1DVD, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/April/28, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and ...

Adobe.CS3.Web.Premium.Vol.MAC.OSX 1DVD, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/April/28, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULT #2
[...]

Web resources about - networking mac to mac??? - comp.sys.mac.system

Upstream (networking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer networking , upstream refers to the direction in which data can be transferred from the client to the server ( uploading ). This ...

Contract Systems Analyst (Networking/LAN) 160226/SA/941

4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand
4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand 24/7 Wall St. It's all around us, just look. Everywhere people are looking at phones ...

Report: Social Networking Apps Led Usage During the Super Bowl
... mobile device during the game. Specifically, Localytics , an analytics and marketing platform for mobile and Web apps, found social networking, ...

13 different Netgear networking products are all on sale today only
... huge sale on Netgear products. In this sale, you're going to find killer prices on everything from routers and cable modems to powerline networking ...

10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o...
10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o... CNNMoney Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) Since 2000, when the ...

Intel Turns Its Focus to 5G Networking
At the Mobile World Congress show, the giant chip maker unveils a range of partnerships and products designed to accelerate the transition to ...

Review: Eero's Innovative Wi-Fi System Takes The Hassle Out Of Networking, For A Price
This startup's approach to Wi-Fi may be more Apple-esque than Apple's own Wi-Fi gear. More than a year ago, a startup called "Eero" announced ...

Ten Things Never To Do At A Networking Event
Here are ten "To Don't" items for networking events!

Edtech providers eye social networking
An app that puts entrepreneurs in touch with mentors is among new innovations