Networking Mac to PC & Pc to Mac

Hello,

I would like to access my PC from my Mac & my Mac & a HP Printer from my PC.

My Mac is running Tiger & the PC XP Pro.

I have a router (or a hub) between the 2 machines & I would like to know
how to have each one recognize (& communicate) with the other.

Going through the internet is *not* an option.

If more info is needed, please don't hesitate to ask; I've been
struggling with this for 3 days now.

Thanks,

Bloop
0
srukin (15)

In article <r6frf.88639$WH.83544@dukeread01>, Coxy <srukin@cox.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to access my PC from my Mac & my Mac & a HP Printer from my PC.
>
> My Mac is running Tiger & the PC XP Pro.
>
> I have a router (or a hub) between the 2 machines & I would like to know
> how to have each one recognize (& communicate) with the other.
>
> Going through the internet is *not* an option.
>
> If more info is needed, please don't hesitate to ask; I've been
> struggling with this for 3 days now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bloop

Did you check Apple support?  Try:

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/network/

There are also instructions if you put "connect to PC"  (or s.t. like
that) the Apple Help menu.

Cathy

--
"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

C.Stevenson, M.D.
cats1921@invalidsonic.net
0
cats1921 (342)
12/24/2005 7:41:02 PM
Coxy <srukin@cox.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to access my PC from my Mac & my Mac & a HP Printer
> from my PC.
>
> My Mac is running Tiger & the PC XP Pro.
>
> I have a router (or a hub) between the 2 machines & I would like to
> know how to have each one recognize (& communicate) with the other.
>
> Going through the internet is *not* an option.
>
> If more info is needed, please don't hesitate to ask; I've been
> struggling with this for 3 days now.

Well, first check the Apple Help application and search for connecting
a Windows computer to a Mac.  There's a lot of information already on
your computer for this.  Hmmm, I'd check for "intranet" in Apple Help,
too.

On the Mac you will need to go to System Preferences -> Services ->
Sharing and turn on Windows Sharing and Printer Sharing.  What you
need to do on the Windows end, I have no idea whatsoever.  But someone
else here will.

Also, you can check the archives at Google Groups (especially on
comp.sys.mac.comm) for previous threads on this very topic.  There
should be many.  Google is yer friend, temporarily at least:

http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/mac/wxpfs.html

http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutorials/a/xp_osx_sharing.htm

0
timmcn (2339)
12/24/2005 7:59:30 PM

Have a look at threemacs <http://www.atpm.com/network/>.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
tomstiller (3053)
12/24/2005 8:00:15 PM
On 2005-12-24 10:58:53 -0600, Coxy <srukin@cox.net> said:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to access my PC from my Mac & my Mac & a HP Printer from my PC.
>
> My Mac is running Tiger & the PC XP Pro.
>
> I have a router (or a hub) between the 2 machines & I would like to
> know how to have each one recognize (& communicate) with the other.
>
> Going through the internet is *not* an option.
>
> If more info is needed, please don't hesitate to ask; I've been
> struggling with this for 3 days now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bloop

I have an emac and a pc connected to a Linksys router, I open share on
both the emac and the pc and that was all. I can work on both or one
and pass files back and forth. First open the share on the Mac that
makes it easier.

0
rleejames (18)
12/25/2005 7:45:08 PM
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:58:53 -0500, Coxy wrote
(in article <r6frf.88639$WH.83544@dukeread01>):

> Hello,
>
> I would like to access my PC from my Mac

easily done.

1 make sure that both the Mac and the PC are on the same network. (Home nets
are typically 192.168.0 class C nets. Make sure that both the Mac and the PC
have addresses like 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11.)

2 make sure that both the Mac and the PC are in the same workgroup. WinXP
home's default workgroup is MSHOME. WinXP Pro and OS X's default workgroup is
WORKGROUP. you can change the workgroup fairly easily:

2a on a Mac, go to Applications/Utilities/Directory Access. Unlock it and
enter your admin password. Click on SMB/CIFS, click on Configure. A dialog
box opens, change the workgroup name to whatever you want.

2b on a WinXP machine, right-click on My Computer, select Properties. The
System Properties dialog should pop up. Click on the Computer Name pane.
Click on Change to change the workgroup. You will have to reboot.

> & my Mac & a HP Printer from my PC.

That's not going to happen without a bit of effort. HP, in its infinite
wisdom, didn't include drivers which will allow their printers to be shared
over the network between Macs and Windows machines. You can use 3rd-party
drivers, such as the GIMP-Print and hpijs drivers, but it's a pain to do.
(I'm assuming this is a HP inkjet. If it's a laser, and has PostScript, no
problems. Inkjet, big problems. Laser, no PostScript, problems.)

> My Mac is running Tiger & the PC XP Pro.
>
> I have a router (or a hub) between the 2 machines & I would like to know
> how to have each one recognize (& communicate) with the other.

If it's a router, and the router has DHCP set, you have no problems. If it's
not a router, get a router. It'd make life a lot simpler.

> Going through the internet is *not* an option.
>
> If more info is needed, please don't hesitate to ask; I've been
> struggling with this for 3 days now.

Check and see if you have a router. Is the printer an inkjet?

--
We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

0
charlesd (460)
12/25/2005 8:40:30 PM
Charles Dyer wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:58:53 -0500, Coxy wrote
> (in article <r6frf.88639$WH.83544@dukeread01>):
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I would like to access my PC from my Mac
>

> easily done.
>
> 1 make sure that both the Mac and the PC are on the same network. (Home nets
> are typically 192.168.0 class C nets. Make sure that both the Mac and the PC
> have addresses like 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11.)
>
> 2 make sure that both the Mac and the PC are in the same workgroup. WinXP
> home's default workgroup is MSHOME. WinXP Pro and OS X's default workgroup is
> WORKGROUP. you can change the workgroup fairly easily:
>
> 2a on a Mac, go to Applications/Utilities/Directory Access. Unlock it and
> enter your admin password. Click on SMB/CIFS, click on Configure. A dialog
> box opens, change the workgroup name to whatever you want.
>
> 2b on a WinXP machine, right-click on My Computer, select Properties. The
> System Properties dialog should pop up. Click on the Computer Name pane.
> Click on Change to change the workgroup. You will have to reboot.
>

>>& my Mac & a HP Printer from my PC.
>

> That's not going to happen without a bit of effort. HP, in its infinite
> wisdom, didn't include drivers which will allow their printers to be shared
> over the network between Macs and Windows machines. You can use 3rd-party
> drivers, such as the GIMP-Print and hpijs drivers, but it's a pain to do.
> (I'm assuming this is a HP inkjet. If it's a laser, and has PostScript, no
> problems. Inkjet, big problems. Laser, no PostScript, problems.)
>

>>My Mac is running Tiger & the PC XP Pro.
>>
>>I have a router (or a hub) between the 2 machines & I would like to know
>>how to have each one recognize (& communicate) with the other.
>

> If it's a router, and the router has DHCP set, you have no problems. If it's
> not a router, get a router. It'd make life a lot simpler.
>

>>Going through the internet is *not* an option.
>>
>>If more info is needed, please don't hesitate to ask; I've been
>>struggling with this for 3 days now.
>

> Check and see if you have a router. Is the printer an inkjet?
>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>Bloop

Thanks very much to all for the replies. I was hoping to be sort of led
through the setup. I'm not too familiar with computer terms & to read
articles on the subject will probably prove quite challenging. But here
I go ...

Happy Holidays.
0
bloop9202 (15)