Networking; TCP/IP

I have a cable modem and an iBook running System 10.3.7.  When I
connect to
a remote office through a TCPIP connection, the result is EXTREMELY
slow.
The computers there are running Sytem 9.2.2 and they have a DSL
connection.
However, if I boot up my iBook in System 9.2.2, the connection runs
MUCH
quicker.   Is there some inherent problem in networking from System 10
back
to System 9?  Or is there something else I am missing?  Thanks.

0
jerbac (4)

In article <1104769073.874465.57230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 "jerski" <jerbac@bacassoc.org> wrote:

> I have a cable modem and an iBook running System 10.3.7.  When I
> connect to
> a remote office through a TCPIP connection, the result is EXTREMELY
> slow.
> The computers there are running Sytem 9.2.2 and they have a DSL
> connection.
> However, if I boot up my iBook in System 9.2.2, the connection runs
> MUCH
> quicker.   Is there some inherent problem in networking from System 10
> back
> to System 9?  Or is there something else I am missing?  Thanks.

Are you talking about Apple File Sharing?  Yes, that is extremely slow
in OS X.  It seems to be caused by gross inefficiencies in the way OS X
identifies files.  There's also a long-standing bug where a Finder
window will sometimes spin the progress dial forever on a connection
having more than a few milliseconds of latency.

I had forgotten how much faster the OS 9 Finder was until I used it on
an old computer recently.  A 300MHz G3 running the OS 9 Finder still
kicks the ass of the 10.3.7 Finder on a dual G5 and a dual G4.
0
mcmurtri (754)
1/3/2005 5:55:01 PM
I'm not sure if it's Apple File Sharing or not... I guess so.  I am
going to the "Go" menu in the 10.3.7 Finder and selecting "Connect to
Server" and then entering the IP address of the remote computer that
runs 9.2.2.   (I am doing it now and I am typing this reply - it listed
the hard drive contents without too much delay, but now I am trying to
just open a folder on the remote hard drive and I have been looking for
several minutes at the colorful, mesmerizing spinning wheel... I hate
that wheel...)   If there's no solution here, is there some other way
to access files on a remote server running 9.2.2?

0
jerbac (4)
1/3/2005 6:33:27 PM
In article <1104777207.340166.79440@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 "jerski" <jerbac@bacassoc.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's Apple File Sharing or not... I guess so.  I am
> going to the "Go" menu in the 10.3.7 Finder and selecting "Connect to
> Server" and then entering the IP address of the remote computer that
> runs 9.2.2.   (I am doing it now and I am typing this reply - it listed
> the hard drive contents without too much delay, but now I am trying to
> just open a folder on the remote hard drive and I have been looking for
> several minutes at the colorful, mesmerizing spinning wheel... I hate
> that wheel...)   If there's no solution here, is there some other way
> to access files on a remote server running 9.2.2?

Yes, that's Apple File Sharing.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
some other way to access files on a remote server running 9.2.2?)

0
jerbac (4)
1/3/2005 8:09:12 PM
In article <1104782952.053887.324080@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 "jerski" <jerbac@bacassoc.org> wrote:

> Thanks.  Any know the answer to the last part of my post?  (is there
> some other way to access files on a remote server running 9.2.2?)

There's an ftp client, but most of them weren't intergrated into the
Finder like MacOS X, which doesn't use the ftp protocol by default,
IIRC.  Older versions of Interarchie or Fetch were OK for file transfers
but don't follow the "remote volume model".

Don't know if there's a OS 9 DAV client but that would only be useful if
you want to access a WebDAV server like .mac.  Otherwise, you're options
are limited.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
vilain (1505)
1/3/2005 9:20:53 PM
In article <1104777207.340166.79440@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 "jerski" <jerbac@bacassoc.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's Apple File Sharing or not... I guess so.  I am
> going to the "Go" menu in the 10.3.7 Finder and selecting "Connect to
> Server" and then entering the IP address of the remote computer that
> runs 9.2.2.   (I am doing it now and I am typing this reply - it listed
> the hard drive contents without too much delay, but now I am trying to
> just open a folder on the remote hard drive and I have been looking for
> several minutes at the colorful, mesmerizing spinning wheel... I hate
> that wheel...)   If there's no solution here, is there some other way
> to access files on a remote server running 9.2.2?

An FTP client is faster.  If it's read-only, then a web server and
browser will be the fastest by far.  There's no way to speed up OSX
Finder.  It's a combination of a poor architecture (.app bundles) and
poor coding (synchronous queries and dumb caching) that can't be fixed
by a user.
0
mcmurtri (754)
1/3/2005 10:18:32 PM
In article <1104769073.874465.57230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 "jerski" <jerbac@bacassoc.org> wrote:

> I have a cable modem and an iBook running System 10.3.7.  When I
> connect to
> a remote office through a TCPIP connection, the result is EXTREMELY
> slow.
> The computers there are running Sytem 9.2.2 and they have a DSL
> connection.
> However, if I boot up my iBook in System 9.2.2, the connection runs
> MUCH
> quicker.   Is there some inherent problem in networking from System 10
> back
> to System 9?  Or is there something else I am missing?  Thanks.

This may be a wild shot in the dark, but maybe try reducing the size of
the networking MTU.

        System Preferences
        -> Networking
        -> built-in Ethernet or Airport depending on your setup
        -> Ethernet
        -> Configure: Manual
        -> Maximum Packet Size (MTU): Custom
        -> 1400 (play around with various sizes between 1400 and 1500

If that does not help, just remember to change it back to where you
started, which should be "Standard".

Again, this is strictly a wild shot idea.

Possible alternatives to using file sharing:

NetPresez was a good ftp and web server on Mac OS 9 and earlier.  Ran it
as my ftp and web server for several years.

I think the build it web server in Mac OS 9.2 can server up both http as
well as files.  I never really played with it much, because I was using
NetPresez and it wasn't broke, so I didn't fix it.

                                        Bob Harris
0
Bob
1/4/2005 3:31:49 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions.  Nothing has helped, however, so I
guess I will go the FTP route.  Unless, of course, the problem is
resolved once the remote office switches to System 10 instead of
9.2.2... I haven't tried that yet...

0
jerbac (4)