No Mac Help in Mac Help?

When I go to Mac Help in Finder (latest version of OSX Tiger) I get
nothing.  The window pops up but it's blank.  Click on the little house
and the initial screen fills in but nothing beyond that.  I had a
simiar problem with Safari help some time back and someone suggested  I
remove a folder from Library/Caches, (com.apple.helpui or something
similar) and that did the trick for Safari's help.  I honestly don't
recall if I've ever had the Mac Help or I've just never used it since
this machine.  The problem happens on or offline so I'm not sure where
the Mac Help file resides.  I've tried re-installing the original OSX
Tiger that came with the machine (G4 Powerbook) but it won't allow me
to since I've upgraded to the latest version.  The documentation that
came with the OSX is more of an advertising brochure than anything that
resembles help text.  Any suggestions.  Could the help file be online
somewhere for download?  Thanks in advance!

In article <1136142925.043876.315910@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote:

> When I go to Mac Help in Finder (latest version of OSX Tiger) I get
> nothing.  The window pops up but it's blank.

Throw away ~/Library/Cashes/com.apple.helpui/. Also see:
   http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2005/qa1409.html
The page pretends it is uncommon, but apparemntly it is not.

--
  Hans Aberg
0

On 1/1/06 12:44 PM, "Hans Aberg" <haberg@math.su.se> wrote:

> In article <1136142925.043876.315910@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> When I go to Mac Help in Finder (latest version of OSX Tiger) I get
>> nothing.  The window pops up but it's blank.
>
> Throw away ~/Library/Cashes/com.apple.helpui/. Also see:
>    http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2005/qa1409.html
> The page pretends it is uncommon, but apparemntly it is not.

--
danjuarez@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/dan.juarez/allthingsmac

0
nospam21 (19047)
1/2/2006 8:45:21 AM
Daniel Juarez wrote:
> I did a search for 'eject
> cd' and it pulled up some  results. When I click on one and clicked the
> 'Show' button, it just went back to the help home page. Weird. Glad I don't
> need any help right now. :-)

Mine did that a few days ago, too.
2 Ghz G5 iMac running 10.4.3
GW
0
geoffdubya (301)
1/3/2006 2:49:31 AM
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:49:31 -0600, Geoff Welsh wrote
(in article <%Cluf.10118$hI1.8480@tornado.socal.rr.com>):

> Daniel Juarez wrote:
>> I did a search for 'eject
>> cd' and it pulled up some  results. When I click on one and clicked the
>> 'Show' button, it just went back to the help home page. Weird. Glad I don't
>> need any help right now. :-)
>>

> Mine did that a few days ago, too.
> 2 Ghz G5 iMac running 10.4.3
> GW

So I'm in Finder and go to Mac Help. I enter "eject cd" and among the many
hits several seem relevant. I pick one. It gives the following:

Ejecting a disc or volume
After working with a disk, server volume, iPod, CD or DVD disc, or FireWire
drive, you may want to eject it to remove it from your desktop.
Before you eject an item, close any open documents on it and quit any
applications that may be using files on the disk.

Select the item to eject and do one of the following:
	�	Choose File > Eject.

	�	In the sidebar of a Finder window, click the Eject button next to the
item's name.

	�	Drag the item to the Trash icon in the Dock. (While you drag, the Trash
icon changes to an Eject icon.)

	�	Press the Media Eject key, if your keyboard has one.

	�	Click the Eject icon in your menu bar, if there is one.

On keyboards with no Media Eject key, the F12 key performs two functions. If
you press it normally, it performs the action selected in the Dashboard &
Expos� preferences. (By default, that action is showing Dashboard.) If you
hold it down until the Eject icon appears on your screen, it ejects your
disc.
You can also eject a CD or DVD by holding down the mouse button when you
start up your computer.

See also
disks
--

Tim
lance_1012@hotmail.com

0
lance_1012 (233)

Help! iSync mac to mac

Help! I've Been Forced To Use A Mac, Online Help for Mac?
http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?showtopic=33751 Help! I've Been Forced To Use A Mac, Online Help for Mac? Aug 29 2009, 12:23 PM Post #1 Group: Star Member Posts: 297 Joined: 31-May 06 Member No.: 14,025 Today, for a hopefully brief period of time, I'm being forced to use a Mac. Since these machines are incomprehensible, I need a simple piece of information*. I know this is heresy, but . . er . . is there anywhere on the Net where peeps answer questions without offering them the choice of (1) $15 (2) $25 or (3) $50 for the answer. ~ beau (but don't tell anyone I asked...

When is a Mac not a Mac?

To Mac or not to Mac?

Mac to mac

Need Help for Transfer Mac--->Mac
Couple years ago, I gave my trusty old 7200/75 mac to a friend who finally gave up on Windows, in frustration. I told me that it on old machine and that he could get a decent newer machine for not very much. But he wanted to try it and it turned out that he was happy messing around with the old clunker, using System 9.2. Recently he finally acquired a newer Mac, a G3 with OS X. There are some documents that he would like to transfer from the old machine to his new one. unfortunately he doesn't know how to do this. Until last year I was his computer support but now he has moved aw...

MDI on mac
------_=_NextPart_001_01C755D1.B10C7B14 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, WX: 2.8.1 OS: Mac OS-X, Carbon app Compiler: XCode 2.4.1 using GCC 4.0.1 I already posted this question and got no help. I tried looking at this further, and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm a WX newbie, so I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time with a stupid question. I've tried a lot of things to solve this, and tried the forums as well, and so far it hasn't helped. I've encounter...

newbie on mac need help on outlookpc to mac /newsreader
So, i opened my brandnew macbook pro and found it quite a fantastic machine. But, totally different to my old pc-terrorist. I need urgent help possibly in german to get my mails and my calendar from outlook into my mac and especially a newsreader to stay in contact with this newsgroup as well. Can anybody help me? I am happy for any idea.... Matthias In article <XkapVtB7iVJxs9OJmresch@aol.com>, "Matthias" <mresch@aol.com> wrote: > So, i opened my brandnew macbook pro and found it quite a fantastic > machine. But, totally different to my old pc-terrorist. I need ...

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM -g -O2 -o fileinfo fileinfo.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgtk-12 -lgdk-12 -lgmodule-12 -lglib-12 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms /usr/lib/libmac.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgthread-12.so.3: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. However i've managed to fix this by deleting the extracts files, re-extracting the files again, adding -lpthread to the configure.in file and then running autoconf to regenerate the configure script before compiling. # diff starts here --- configure.in.old Sun Dec 10 14:24:01 2006 +++ configure.in Sun Dec 10 14:24:...

Need help with using Samba on a Mac. How to Automount Samba on the Mac?
I'm new to Samba. I want to use the Macintosh on a LAN with Samba so it can mount the file systems of the Windows XP and Linux severs automatically at boot time to access documents. I can see on the Mac with a command-k I can connect to a Samba (SMB:) server, but I don't see a way to make it do that automatically at boot time. I need to set this up for a non-technical Mac user so I would like to automount (if that's the best option?) so it doesn't require having to login each time. Ideally, when the Mac boots, it would go out there and mount those file systems from the Windows ...

Help Help Help Help Help
please,help us . we have a seious problem, we are designing a radio controlled car that is guided by the PC, to send the data wireless between the PC and the Car and vice versa. we use 2 transmitter/reciever circuits from 2 seperate radio controlled car each running with a different frequency (27 MHz & 40 MHz)and modify the functionality of each to do the disered work. but on mounting a transmitter(40MHz) and reciever(27MHz) on the car, and attach another transmitter(27MHz) and reciever(40MHz) to the PC; we found that on sending signals from the car to the PC on the transmitter & rec...

MAC Help Requested! � Mac & ISO files?�
Does anyone know of any Mac software, 9.X or OSX, that can handle ISO segmented files? Thanks In article <bob-0012AF.22044402042004@news1.mts.net>, - <bob@bob.com> wrote: > Does anyone know of any Mac software, 9.X or OSX, that can handle ISO > segmented files? > > Thanks What application creates them? There's nothing on MacOS X that uses ISO files. -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... - <bob@bob.com> wrote: > Does anyone know of any Mac software, 9.X or OSX, that can handle ISO > segmented files? Do you mean...

Help please burning a IMG file of a MAC program on a PC for a MAC user
Hi all, I have an IMG file and I don't know what program created it although I do know that it is an image file of a MAC program. My question is, Is there a way that I can use my PC to burn this image file to a MAC usable state for a friend so that I can give him the CD and he can install the program on his MAC? If so could you please provide step by step "idiot proof" instructions for me? Any help will be very much appreciated. I have the following: Plextor 48/24/48A CD-RW and Nero, Adaptec Easy CD creator 6, Clone CD and WinISO. Can it be done with these or do I need ...

Mac Users!
A friend of mine is having problems getting NG access with his new Mac OS. If anyone can help him, I'm sure he would be eternally grateful. He does have email so please feel free to assist him any which way you can...many thanks. email: cugjcsreattelusplanet.net In article <ZA8Wb.26502$964.13121@edtnps84>, "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote: > A friend of mine is having problems getting NG access with his new Mac OS. > If anyone can help him, I'm sure he would be eternally grateful. > He does have email so please feel free to assist him any which wa...

Palm Vx Mac sync dead any of 3 Macs
OK - I'm a newbie to group, apologies in advance if my protocol not right... I have an IBM WorkPad C3 (Palm Vx) which I have synched fine to 3 Macs (7200/90, Duo 2300C (both OS 9.1) and G4 Dual 500 initially under 9.1 then OSX no problem, USB serial adapter) with no difficulties until this summer, when all attempts to sync ended in communication failure (HotSync makes connection and fails). I was able to Sync to a borrowed PC with my same cradle, successfully installing Palm folding keyboard and DOFMaster apps, but after botching my homestyle uninstall of Palm desktop on thi...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

Please help w/burning a IMG file of a MAC program with a PC for a MAC user
Hi all, I have an IMG file and I don't know what program created it although I do know that it is an image file of a MAC program. My question is, Is there a way that I can use my PC to burn this image file to a MAC usable state for a friend so that I can give him the CD and he can install the program on his MAC? If so could you please provide step by step "idiot proof" instructions for me? Any help will be very much appreciated. I have the following: Plextor 48/24/48A CD-RW and Nero, Adaptec Easy CD creator 6, Clone CD and WinISO. Can it be done with these or do I need something else? Thanks in advance!!! Regards, Steve B. Drugsls@Hotmail.com Tom, Thanks for the response and the info. Regarding the img file. I did download it as an IMG file so why or how did it get corrupted? I then left it the was it was and tried to burn it. I am also in the process of downloading the same file as a .sit file, so if I am able to get it in this format, can you explain what I need to do from there? On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:12:03 GMT, th-usenet-hsa8e74s@xs4all.nl (Tom) wrote: >Steven B. <Drugsls@Hotmail.com> wrote: > >> I have an IMG file and I don't know what program created it although I >> do know that it is an image file of a MAC program. My question is, Is >> there a way that I can use my PC to burn this image file to a MAC >> usable state for a friend so that I can give him the CD and he can >> install the program on his MAC? ...

Web resources about - No Mac Help in Mac Help? - comp.sys.mac.system

Help - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
United States Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions , commonly abbreviated "H.E.L.P." Text is available under the Creative ...

Panda Express Taps Havas Formula to Help Tell Values-Based Stories
Panda Express has hired Havas Formula as its PR and social media agency as the family-owned American Chinese food chain looks to build emotional ...

Apple Support launches an official Twitter account for help and advice
... the potential for conversation between customers and members of the Apple Support team. Other users, too, will be able to chime in and help ...

Godfather of encryption explains why Apple should help the FBI hack the terrorist’s iPhone
... take on Apple's current legal tussle with the FBI. While speaking on a panel at RSA Conference 2016 earlier this week, the man who helped co-invent ...

Stephen Colbert Gets a Hands-On Taste of Fiddler on the Roof with Help from Danny Burstein & Company
Broadway.com Stephen Colbert Gets a Hands-On Taste of Fiddler on the Roof with Help from Danny Burstein & Company Broadway.com Note: When ...

Could playing video games help kids lose weight, gain confidence?
Group of Louisiana researchers are studying whether active video games could impact weight, blood pressure and cholesterol

Seeing Eye Goat Helps Best Friend Get Around the Farm
Warning: FEELS! Submitted by: (via farmsanctuary1 ) Tagged: goats , Video Share on Facebook

Apple Customer Support will now help you via Twitter
A dedicated customer service account will try to assist you directly as well as offer tips and tricks on Apple products and services.

Apple offers help on Twitter
OS X and iOS support, tutorials, and tips and tricks 140 characters at a time.