OS X 10.2.8 and OS 9.x

After a crash I did a clean install of OS X 10.2.0 on a new hard disk, and
then updated it to OS X 10.2.8. Well, I just realized that OS 9.x did not get
installed.

QUESTION. How do I install OS 9.x? What disk should I use? My Jaguar
installation set consists of 2 CDs.

Did I miss something? [obviously I did, but what]

BTW, it says something about my usage that it took 2 months for me to realize
that OS 9.x was missing.

Thanks! Best regards, Paul

0
2me (76)

Paul Nevai <2me@PaulComputing.com> wrote:

> After a crash I did a clean install of OS X 10.2.0 on a new hard disk, and
> then updated it to OS X 10.2.8. Well, I just realized that OS 9.x did not get
> installed.
>
> QUESTION. How do I install OS 9.x? What disk should I use? My Jaguar
> installation set consists of 2 CDs.
>
> Did I miss something? [obviously I did, but what]
>
> BTW, it says something about my usage that it took 2 months for me to realize
> that OS 9.x was missing.

:)

You didn't miss anything. Mac OS 9 is not part of the Mac OS X install.
If you have software restore disks for your computer, it may be part of
that; if not, it has to be obtained separately. It can be obtained
cheaply if you have Panther:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
AppleScript: The Definitive Guide
matt neuburg <matt@tidbits.com> wrote:

> You didn't miss anything. Mac OS 9 is not part of the Mac OS X install.
> If you have software restore disks for your computer, it may be part of
> that; if not, it has to be obtained separately. It can be obtained
> cheaply if you have Panther:
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/

Except that the Terms and Conditions on the downloadable order form
indicate that this offer expired in March. I would call Apple first to
make sure its still being honored.

Neill Massello <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote:

> matt neuburg <matt@tidbits.com> wrote:
>
> > You didn't miss anything. Mac OS 9 is not part of the Mac OS X install.
> > If you have software restore disks for your computer, it may be part of
> > that; if not, it has to be obtained separately. It can be obtained
> > cheaply if you have Panther:
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/
>
> Except that the Terms and Conditions on the downloadable order form
> indicate that this offer expired in March. I would call Apple first to
> make sure its still being honored.

Interesting. In that case, would it be the case that Apple might have
*no* inexpensive official way for Mac OS X users to obtain a compatible
Classic? That would be yucky. Maybe the fact that the link is still
there indicates that they didn't really expire the offer... Let's hope.
m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
AppleScript: The Definitive Guide
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005571/somethingsbymatt
matt231 (2249)

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

ZoomView problem in Mac OS X 10.2.x & 10.3.x
Hello Everyone This mail is sent to more groups and mailing lists in different countries, also groups, which normally not uses the English language as the native list language, so - PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER TO THIS MESSAGE! - but read it carefully and then follow the instructions regarding answering at the buttom of this mail. I have discovered a bug in Mac OS X 10.2.x and up to latest version 10.3.= 8. When you activate the controlpane *ZoomView* for enlargement and put it either in 'Normal mode' - i.e. black text on white background, - or in "Reverse Mode" - i.e. whit...

Upgraded from OS X 10.1.5 to 10.2.8 and now OS 9 won't boot
System: Powermac 9600/300 upgraded with Sonnet PCI G4/400MHz/1MB RAM: 448MB Disks: 4GB & 18GB Parititions: on 13GB: Slice 1 - OS X 4GB, Slice 2 OS 9 4GB, Slice 3 Userland 9GB When I ran OS X 10.1.5 I was able to boot between both OS9.1 and OSX. Last week I upgraded to 10.2 and applied the 10.2.8 combo upgrade in order to take advantage of performance improvements for Virtual PC 6.1. That was successful as VPC6.1 now has good performance and is adequate for running MS Office. Caveat: I can't boot to OS9. System Preferences->Startup Disk allows me to select the OS9 System Folder. Th...

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

reinstall of OS 10.2
I'm reinstalling my operating systems. Does it matter whether I install OS X or 9.2.2 first? Is there a certain order that they should be installed in? Thanks. -- TLD TLD <TLD2@tld.tld.invalid> wrote: > I'm reinstalling my operating systems. Does it matter whether I install > OS X or 9.2.2 first? Is there a certain order that they should be > installed in? Thanks. It makes no difference. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida <http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart ...

Recent Articles,, * Amazon offering Mac OS X Snow Leopard Family Pack for $36.49, * Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, the first update to the Snow Leopard operating system, * Gartner: Exchange
http://switchtoamac.com/site/survey-indicates-that-50-of-us-it-pros-are-considering-abandoning-windows-likely-to-switch-to-apples-mac-os-x.html http://tinyurl.com/ybrbgek A June 12, 2009 CNNMoney.com article titled 'Can Windows 7 save PCs?", David Goldman writes about Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 operating system. The article discusses the PC slump and highlights a March survey conducted by Dimension Research that indicates that 50% of respondents are likely to dump Windows in favor of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Noteworthy quotes form the article ...

Can't boot to "OS 9" after upgrading OS X partition to 10.2.x
System Hardware: Powermac 9600/300 running Sonnet Technologies G4/400MHz/1MB 448MB RAM, one 4GB drive and 13GB drive One partition was running OS X 10.1.5 Another parition running OS 9.1 I was able to boot into either partition effortlessly. However, in order to improve the performance of Virtual PC 6.1 running on OSX (which was intolerably slow on 10.1.x), I upgraded to OS X 10.2 and applied the combo bundle to update OS to 10.2.8. This has made all the difference in my Virtual PC 6.1 which now runs with excellent performance for Win98, NT, and W2K. Now, for my problem. I boot to OS9 for on...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

Uninstalling PinePico-4.58-SSL-10.2.pkg on Mac OS X 10.2.8
How to uninstall PinePico-4.58-SSL-10.2.pkg on Mac OS X 10.2.8? I could not find such information at <http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/index.html>. Please, note that I do not know about Unix commands. I am just a Mac user. I have downloaded it from <http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/> and then <http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/pinepico.html>. I have seen <http://www.washington.edu/pine/> I installed it thinking that it was a client eMail application that would allow me to check with a true Mac OS X Aqua interface my eMail...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. &...

FS: Mac OS X v10.2 and Mac OS X v10.3 (Panther)
clearing up my storeroom. we have moved to tiger. OS10.2 are the original two cds from apple OS10.3 (Panther) are the original three cds from apple. prices: best offer -- getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence - jules feifer to email me, delete syzygy. from my return address ...

Problem with Helvetica font on Mac OS X/Mac OS 9 System
I'm working with a Mac which has Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.2 running on top of the X. I use MS Word and Pagemaker and there's a problem with helvetica italic not displaying consistently. I mean, without any intervention, some days it's visible, other days it's not. I thought maybe it was due to not having the font file, but it seems we do have it. I don't know if this is related, but Adobe Type Manager has also popped up lately complaining about not having enough cache memory. I looked at the setting and it was 2MB already, but increased it to 3 MB yesterday. It seems to have...

Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar, Mac OS X 10.2.x and X-Plane v7
Hi, has somebody used succesfully Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar in Mac OS X v10.2.8 and X-Plane v7 ? I can use Cougar in Warbirds but X-Plane only sees some of the buttons and none of the analog movements... =( Can someone tell, if Mac OS X v10.2.x has native support (HID) for Cougar, if so then Warbirds propably don't have extra drivers written for and X-Plane has and thus don't support Cougar. regards, Kari ...

How to use command line option with CW 9 and Mac OS x 10.2.8?
Does anyone try following: This might be simple question but I can't figure it out what and how to do it in Code Warrior 9 on Mac OS X 10.2.8: I have very simple program say: hello.c. I need to run this program with all compilers on different platform (i.e On Window I use cl, Linux gcc and Mac CW). To do so I have python script which uses "rsh" to each box and runs the program and stores result. This works fine on windows and linux. It also works fine On Mac CW 8.0 with following command line: Mac: Compiler command: mwpefcc -I. -o hello.o -opt none -c -...

Connect an old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to MacBook Pros (Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2)?
Hello. My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser. I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect. Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for the newer ones like 10.8.2. :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon the ant." --Indian /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (P...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

Mac OS X 10.2.8 worse then 10.1
I "upgraded" my G3 PowerMac from Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.2.8, mainly because I was able to get the install CDs extremely cheap and it means I can use a slightly newer web browser and newsreader. It's not noticeably any faster nor slower, but 10.2.8 is definitely a lot buggier. :-( - The display goes to sleep for no reason and the only way to get it back is to force a reboot. (I haven't had time to work out whether it only happens after using Classic, but does happen even if I have quit Classic.) - FileMaker Pro (under Classic) now ...

Mac OS X 10.3.9 to 10.3.8
Is there a way to go back from 10.3.9 to 10.3.8. I have protools that will not work in 10.3.9. Any ideas? thx <fromero@csudh.edu> wrote in message news:1138070312.152531.300390@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Is there a way to go back from 10.3.9 to 10.3.8. I have protools that > will not work in 10.3.9. Any ideas? > Restore from the backup you made before you updated to 10.3.9, or reinstall and update from your install CD. Greg How do yu restore from a backup on a mac? Also, if I reinstall from the CDs wont that remove my applications? G.T. wrote: > <fro...

Web resources about - OS X 10.2.8 and OS 9.x - comp.sys.mac.system

BRIT Awards 2016 sees Rihanna gyrate against Drake as Adele wins 4 trophies
They have dated on and off for the past few years and Rihanna and Drake put on a very steamy display as they reunited to perform their new single ...

Apple may finally be bringing Siri to the Mac
Apple's OS X may soon get a lot sassier. Later this year, Apple plans to bring its digital assistant, Siri, to OS X, its desktop operating system, ...

The 10 Facebook reactions we actually needed
Well, Facebook finally opened up its new 'reactions' to everyone . We just wish they were different. For over a year now, Mark Zuckerberg has ...

Kanye Addresses Taylor Swift and Butt Play Rumors During an Average Tuesday Night at 1 OAK
Performing at the L.A. branch of 1 OAK on Tuesday night, Kanye West went off about his reignited feud with Taylor Swift and the recent claims ...

Google Fiber Coming to first Major US City: San Francisco
Google Fiber will soon be a reality in San Francisco – the high-speed internet and cable television service is coming home to the Silicon Valley, ...

Virginia State Police Say 3 Confirmed Dead From Storms; Bringing Death Toll to 6
Virginia State Police say 3 confirmed dead from storms; bringing death toll to 6

No survivors after small plane crashes into mountain in Nepal
New York Post No survivors after small plane crashes into mountain in Nepal New York Post KATHMANDU, Nepal — Rescue teams in Nepal found the ...

Atlas robot can pick up boxes and terrify small children but mostly terrify small children
If you’ve watched the various Boston Dynamics videos released over the last few years you’ve already seen the 4 legged robot called “Big Dog” ...

Africa's first music download service launches in Senegal
Africa's first home-grown platform for legal music downloads launched in Senegal on Wednesday with a mission to promote African artists, pay ...

Health Officials Are Investigating New Cases of Sexually Transmitted Zika Virus
U.S. health officials are looking into 14 different cases of the Zika virus found in women who had no risk factors aside from sexual contact ...