OS X - moved the 'Library' folder, & don't have (can't get?) 'privileges' to put it back...!

after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing...
(I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the  alt.sys.mac.newuser-help
group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...)

anyways, here's what I did...
-----------------------------------

in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their
personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder!  it
appears.... correct me if I'm wrong...
that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the
Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone...
so we re-entered that, wondering what had happened...
now we see that all the email messages are gone, and more importantly, all
the Address Book is gone.  yikes.

-- the problem:     I can't put it back!

I can see where I moved the original 'Library' folder TO...
but when I try a 'drag and drop' to put it back where it belongs, it says
something like 'you do not have the privileges to' etc. etc.

so, two questions:

1-   how do I get the correct privileges?   I read the Help files, which
said to look at the info page for the folder(s), and look at the
'permissions'(?) category
(I'm doing this from memory... I don't think that's what it's called)  and
check a box that says something like 'do not use priveleges for this
folder'.   however...  I was in the EXACT location that this checkbox is
supposed to be...  and it was most certainly not there.   what now?

2-  a lesser question-  before I figured out what had happened, I went
online and downloaded a day's worth of email messages for her.  well, in my
screwing around, THAT got misplaced, too. (duh)   I'd like to recover the
prior
'Library' folder, but also import the one days' worth of emails I deleted.

so the original Library folder is around 44mb, and the new one is only 10mb
or so.      I think I see what are the miscellaneous 'data' files - the
address book, etc.
, but... can't figure out how to get the email client to read them. I also
am not positive what the email
client IS... I think it's the built-in Mac mail program...   it's the one
that opens when you click the 'Mail' button on Internet Explorer's button
bar. (it's just labeled 'In' when it's up and running)

many thanks...

                        ~Reuben

0
Reuben

In article <vmlgoq73mcce20@corp.supernews.com>,
 "Reuben L." <ReubenL1@-DELETE-THIS-hotmail.com> wrote:

> after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing...
> (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the  alt.sys.mac.newuser-help
> group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...)
>
> anyways, here's what I did...
> -----------------------------------
>
> in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their
> personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder!  it
> appears.... correct me if I'm wrong...
> that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the
> Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone...
> so we re-entered that, wondering what had happened...
> now we see that all the email messages are gone, and more importantly, all
> the Address Book is gone.  yikes.
>
> -- the problem:     I can't put it back!
>
> I can see where I moved the original 'Library' folder TO...
> but when I try a 'drag and drop' to put it back where it belongs, it says
> something like 'you do not have the privileges to' etc. etc.
>
> so, two questions:
>
> 1-   how do I get the correct privileges?   I read the Help files, which
> said to look at the info page for the folder(s), and look at the
> 'permissions'(?) category
> (I'm doing this from memory... I don't think that's what it's called)  and
> check a box that says something like 'do not use priveleges for this
> folder'.   however...  I was in the EXACT location that this checkbox is
> supposed to be...  and it was most certainly not there.   what now?

The directory (that's what they're called in UNIX) is _somewhere_ on the
disk.  All you need to do is 'mv' it from a Terminal session.  You'll
need the administrator's password to do this.  When the system was
installed, you were asked to create a user.  In the System Preferences
Control Panel, there's "My Account" and System "Accounts".  If you don't
remember the password, you'll have to boot MacOS 9 to do this in the
System 9 Finder (if your system can boot MacOS 9).  I'm not sure how to
break in by booting a MacOS X Install CD.  Check the Apple site for
further ideas there.

Anyway, assumeing you have the adminstrator's password, back to our
story...

In the /Applications/Utilities 'folder', there's a Terminal program.
Launch it and you'll see a screen displayed with a message and a
'command line prompt'.

Do you know the 'path' where you moved /Library to?  Suppose you moved
it to /Users/Library or some such place.  Now there's a new /Library
there and you can't get rid of it.  Here's what you do:

sudo mv /Library /Library.new
[you'll be prompted for the adminstrator's password]
sudo mv /Users/Library /Library

> 2-  a lesser question-  before I figured out what had happened, I went
> online and downloaded a day's worth of email messages for her.  well, in my
> screwing around, THAT got misplaced, too. (duh)   I'd like to recover the
> prior
> 'Library' folder, but also import the one days' worth of emails I deleted.
>
> so the original Library folder is around 44mb, and the new one is only 10mb
> or so.      I think I see what are the miscellaneous 'data' files - the
> address book, etc.
> , but... can't figure out how to get the email client to read them. I also
> am not positive what the email
> client IS... I think it's the built-in Mac mail program...   it's the one
> that opens when you click the 'Mail' button on Internet Explorer's button
> bar. (it's just labeled 'In' when it's up and running)

I don't know where Mail puts the mail it downloads.  If it's put in
/Library, it will now be in /Library.new and you'll have to sort through
the folder where it is to figure out how to fold it into it's old home.
If they're separate messages, great.  If they're all one file, like
'inbox', you can 'mv' that file to the suitable folder in /Library as
'inbox.ddmmyyyy'

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
vilain (1505)
9/19/2003 3:45:25 PM
Thanks, Michael...   I didn't even have to use the terminal!

I logged into the 'netinfo' thing, used the password,

and then could move the library folder back where it belonged, and had all
the privileges in the world...!

           ~Reuben

<Michael Vilain <vilain@spamcop.net>> wrote in message
> [...]
also
> > am not positive what the email
> > client IS... I think it's the built-in Mac mail program...   it's the
one
> > that opens when you click the 'Mail' button on Internet Explorer's
button
> > bar. (it's just labeled 'In' when it's up and running)
>
> I don't know where Mail puts the mail it downloads.  If it's put in
> /Library, it will now be in /Library.new and you'll have to sort through
> the folder where it is to figure out how to fold it into it's old home.
> If they're separate messages, great.  If they're all one file, like
> 'inbox', you can 'mv' that file to the suitable folder in /Library as
> 'inbox.ddmmyyyy'
>
> --
> DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

9/19/2003 10:32:53 PM
In article <vmn0vtarub851b@corp.supernews.com>,
 "Reuben L." <ReubenL1@-DELETE-THIS-hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Michael...   I didn't even have to use the terminal!
>
> I logged into the 'netinfo' thing, used the password,
>
> and then could move the library folder back where it belonged, and had all
> the privileges in the world...!
>
>            ~Reuben

Ohhh. Slick.  Old sysadmin habits die hard.  It's been fun running my
own UNIX box at home that can get actual work done.  Reminds me of my
Q800, which ran A/UX...