Partition won't mount - Disk Utility says it's fine(?!)

Although diagnostics say it's fine, I have a partition which refuses to
mount (and there's a lot of stuff on it which I need to recover).

Please excuse the double post - didn't think anyone would read the last
post with it's lame subject... Don't know how to delete it.

I'm running OS X Panther 10.3.9 on an older G4 desktop. I boot from a
20 gig internal hard drive and have a 200 gig Maxtor divided into two
100 gig partitions. I am running Hi-Cap software to get around the 128
meg drive limit, so I can access all the space on the Maxtor. (I've run
the software for over a year now - including the same drive on my
previous Mac - and have not noticed any problems running it.)

Friday night, one of the partitions on the Maxtor failed to mount,
while the other was present as usual. However, I had a couple of
freezes accessing the mounted partition, so I presumed the worst and
backed up all the files that I could get to.

Disk Utility says that the absent partition is fine and can be mounted,
but is unable to do so. I ran a number of repair passes on the drive
until told that both partitions were repaired and good. However,
partition #2 still could not be mounted by Disk Utility. The 'Mount'
icon hilites when clicked, I enter my password and a beach ball spins
for a few seconds. Then it stops, but no partition mounts.

In spite of fixing partition #1, I had another bout of freezes accesing
it and again repaired it with Disk Utiltiy, making multiple passes
until told it was repaired. After some figuring out how to do it, I
also checked everything out from the command line, running both
disktools and diskutil repairs on the drive and was told it was fine.
Since then, I've had no further trouble from the mounted partition.
Disk Utilities consistently now verifies both volumes on the drive as
ok, but #2 still will not mount..

Using the 'mount' command and diskutil's mount function, I am told by
both that they have successfully mounted the volume, but it does not
appear on my desktop, nor when I ls mounted Volumes.

In desperation I booted in single user and ran applejack on my boot
drive, though it wasn't giving me any obvious trouble. Again, there
turned out to be some problems, and I ran the repair feature until told
it was fixed, but this had no effect on mounting the problem partition.

Suspicious that problems might reappear, I have
periodically run diagnostics of several kinds on the Maxtor, but
everything I
use tells me all my volumes are in dandy shape and are good to go, yet
the problem partition still cannot be mounted. Any suggestions?