PDF on Mac OS X (Preview)

Could I ask kind souls to check if you can read the following PDF file
in Preview?

http://patents1.ic.gc.ca/patimage.pdf?page=abs&patent_number=02292878&out
_lang=EN&dlpdf=Download+in+Adobe+PDF

I can read this PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Reader on Mac OS 8.6 and also
on Mac OS X 10.3.  However, Preview on Mac OS X 10.3 complains:

File Error.

Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview
doesn't recognize.

Can anybody reproduce this problem?  I want to find out if the situation
is the same for all Mac OS X users, or my iMac or Preview is somehow
corrupt.

Thanks in advance.

In article <GS.Sunatori-FB094A.12080620012004@news.videotron.net>,
 "Sunatori, Go Simon" <GS.Sunatori@HyperInfo.CA> wrote:

> I can read this PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Reader on Mac OS 8.6 and
> also on Mac OS X 10.3.  However, Preview on Mac OS X 10.3 complains:

I had to download it with Internet Explorer; the 3rd-party PDF viewer
plug in Safari doesn't recognize it.

Once I downloaded it, I had the same results you did:  Preview gives the
same error message, but both Acrobat Reader 5 and Adobe Reader 6 can
open it.

iMac G4, 17", 1 GHz, Panther 10.3

-- Michelle

--
Never play strip tarot.
0
In article <GS.Sunatori-FB094A.12080620012004@news.videotron.net>,
Sunatori, Go Simon <GS.Sunatori@HyperInfo.CA> wrote:

> Could I ask kind souls to check if you can read the following PDF file
> in Preview?
>
> http://patents1.ic.gc.ca/patimage.pdf?page=abs&patent_number=02292878&out
> _lang=EN&dlpdf=Download+in+Adobe+PDF
>
> I can read this PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Reader on Mac OS 8.6 and also
> on Mac OS X 10.3.  However, Preview on Mac OS X 10.3 complains:

> File Error.
>
> Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview
> doesn't recognize.

Same error for me, 10.3.2 Preview.

Adobe Reader 6.0. says "The file was damaged and could not be opened".
0
v4wjhea02 (10)
1/20/2004 8:03:19 PM
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:03:19 -0500,
    Philo D (v4wjhea02@sneakemail.com) wrote:
> In article <GS.Sunatori-FB094A.12080620012004@news.videotron.net>,
> Sunatori, Go Simon <GS.Sunatori@HyperInfo.CA> wrote:

>> File Error.
>>
>> Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview
>> doesn't recognize.
>>

> Same error for me, 10.3.2 Preview.
>
> Adobe Reader 6.0. says "The file was damaged and could not be opened".

Yup same errors with Preview and the full Acrobat 6.0.1.  However,
xpdf opens it.

--
Bev A. Kupf
Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>
 "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupf@myhome.net> wrote:

> > Same error for me, 10.3.2 Preview.
> >
> > Adobe Reader 6.0. says "The file was damaged and could not be opened".
>
> Yup same errors with Preview and the full Acrobat 6.0.1.  However,
> xpdf opens it.

I was able to open it in both Acrobat Reader 5.0.5 and Adobe Reader
6.0.1.

-- Michelle

--
Never play strip tarot.
0

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Problem with Helvetica font on Mac OS X/Mac OS 9 System
I'm working with a Mac which has Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.2 running on top of the X. I use MS Word and Pagemaker and there's a problem with helvetica italic not displaying consistently. I mean, without any intervention, some days it's visible, other days it's not. I thought maybe it was due to not having the font file, but it seems we do have it. I don't know if this is related, but Adobe Type Manager has also popped up lately complaining about not having enough cache memory. I looked at the setting and it was 2MB already, but increased it to 3 MB yesterday. It seems to have...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Recent Articles,, * Amazon offering Mac OS X Snow Leopard Family Pack for $36.49, * Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, the first update to the Snow Leopard operating system, * Gartner: Exchange
http://switchtoamac.com/site/survey-indicates-that-50-of-us-it-pros-are-considering-abandoning-windows-likely-to-switch-to-apples-mac-os-x.html http://tinyurl.com/ybrbgek A June 12, 2009 CNNMoney.com article titled 'Can Windows 7 save PCs?", David Goldman writes about Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 operating system. The article discusses the PC slump and highlights a March survey conducted by Dimension Research that indicates that 50% of respondents are likely to dump Windows in favor of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Noteworthy quotes form the article ...

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.
Hi Group, Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a mistake_ I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended Journaled for both paritions. Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I get the message "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." There is a red explaination mark on the drive. I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk util program and I still have the same proble...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

FS: Mac OS X v10.2 and Mac OS X v10.3 (Panther)
clearing up my storeroom. we have moved to tiger. OS10.2 are the original two cds from apple OS10.3 (Panther) are the original three cds from apple. prices: best offer -- getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence - jules feifer to email me, delete syzygy. from my return address ...

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. &...

Mac os 9 Vs. Mac os X
I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off the earth for them. The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9 will I need all the mac os x libraries ? can someone throw somelight ? Thanks On 21 Nov 2003, dharmesh wrote: > I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac > os 9. I would like to...

Mac os 9 Vs. Mac os X
I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off the earth for them. The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9 will I need all the mac os x libraries ? can someone throw somelight ? Thanks >The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward >compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9 >wi...

Mac OS X fonts in Mac OS 9
Dear all, Is it possible to use MacOS X fonts in the classic environment? What's the procedure if it is ... Cheers! In article <3bef037b.0411010152.7625d932@posting.google.com>, davidol@hushmail.com (David) wrote: > Is it possible to use MacOS X fonts in the classic environment? > What's the procedure if it is ... No problem: a) TrueType fonts (.ttf - the vast majority) can simply be *moved* to the fonts folder in your Classic system folder. b) OpenType fonts (.otf) can be placed there as well but require Adobe Type Manager Light to work: <http://www.adobe....

54g Wireless
Hi there, I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it? Thanks Wesley Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish > IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit W...

54g Wireless
Hi there, I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it? Thanks Wesley Blue Wezza wrote: > Hi there, > > I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish > IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the ...

Creating a Bootable Mac OS 9 CD in Mac OS X
I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD for emergency reboot on the old computer. My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the System Folder to the iMac, it bec...

Shrink-Fit X for older Mac OS X systems
I thought I'd post to let others know: if you're still using an older version of Mac OS X, such as 10.4 or 10.5, Mr. Sherlock has released a version compiled to work on these systems. It is a 32-bit Universal binary. If you haven't tried the program at all-- do! It is incredibly useful for peeking at the contents of a SHK archive without having to open your emulator or transfer the SHK to your IIgs. http://osx.ksherlock.com/Shrink-Fit-X-10.4.zip -- ]DF$ Mac GUI Vault - A source for retro Apple II and Macintosh computing. http://macgui.com/vault/ Great news! Tha...

Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface
I have ported a Mac OS 9 shared library to Mac OS X using Codewarrior 8 and the Carbon methodology. What are the prerequisites and steps for wrapping this library under Java Native Interface since the caller application is written in Java and Java itself cannot call methods directly from a native shared library? Are there any previous attempts, expreiences? Any obstacles? Byron The JNI library must be Mach-O. It must be a dylib named "lib<yourlibname>.jnilib". I'm pretty sure there is sample code for JNI libs on the Apple Developer Site. You say that your nat...

Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface
I have ported a Mac OS 9 shared library to Mac OS X using Codewarrior 8 and the Carbon methodology. The library uses PowerPlant to display and handle a dialog box that communicates with the caller application. What are the prerequisites and steps for wrapping this library under Java Native Interface since the caller application is written in Java and Java itself cannot call methods directly from a native shared library? Are there any previous attempts, expreiences? Any obstacles? Byron ...

Web resources about - PDF on Mac OS X (Preview) - comp.sys.mac.system

Saint Dominic's Preview - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saint Dominic's Preview is the sixth studio album by Northern Irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison . It was released in July 1972 by Warner Bros. ...

PREVIEW: Facebook Factors Into Most SXSW Events - AllFacebook
Social media has a role in nearly all the 5,000-plus events happening at South by Southwest, including the music and film sessions. Here are ...

ABC Indigenous - Sneak preview, Black Comedy sketch "Race... - Facebook
Did you catch the sneak preview of #ABCBlackComedy on ABC TV's Friday Night #Crackup? Black Comedy, starts Weds. 5 November, 9:30pm.

Local Currency Payments Preview for Game Developers
As we announced in June 2012, we are moving from Facebook Credits to local currency pricing. Local currency payments simplifies the purchase ...

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 Coming Soon – Preview and Details
Facebook’s iPhone application is one of the most popular iPhone apps overall – nearly 25% of all iPhone owners use it according to Joe Hewitt, ...

G4 Preview Tour (@G4Preview) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here G4 Preview Tour @ G4Preview ...

Preview: #USA vs. #JPN in the #FIFAWWC final
Women’s soccer (or football) fans around the world will turn to Twitter during this Sunday’s Women’s World Cup final between #USA and #JPN . ...

Eurogamer.net • video game reviews, news, previews, forums, and videos • Eurogamer.net
Eurogamer Network Ltd. uses cookies on its websites in order to provide enhanced functionality to users, such as user accounts and saved preferences. ...

SCOTUS Preview: Trademark Confusion - Jason P. Steed
... term the Supreme Court will decide at least two important trademark cases. (There's still time for them to add more.) Here's a quick preview ...

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution College Football Preview for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get The Atlanta Journal-Constitution College Football Preview on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.