POSIX error: Permission denied (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:13)

Hello

Trying to acess a few urls or functions (very few, but crucial ones)
via any browser or even the directory via ftp (it happens to be one of
my own web spaces), I get: POSIX error: Permission
denied" (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:13) . . . in Safari; other web browsers
simply refuse to open it.

All I changed recently was activate a port forwarding rule in my
router, and give my computer a static ip adress (configuring IPv4
manually). Of course I deactivated the port forwarding rules and
abandoned the static ip going back to Using DHCP (the ip I get
assigned, however often I restart my computer, reboot the router, and
demand a new DHCP Lease, I always get the very same ip address I
assigned manually). None of that changes anything.

(Happening on: Titanium PowerBook G4 PPC, Mac OS X 10.4.10)

I'll be most thankful for any advice concerning the issue itself or
further ressources on the web (other than the apple discussions)

thanks

0
n_fr (6)

n_fr@gmx.de wrote:
> Hello
>
> Trying to acess a few urls or functions (very few, but crucial ones)
> via any browser or even the directory via ftp (it happens to be one of
> my own web spaces), I get: POSIX error: Permission
> denied" (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:13) . . . in Safari; other web browsers
> simply refuse to open it.
>
> All I changed recently was activate a port forwarding rule in my
> router, and give my computer a static ip adress (configuring IPv4
> manually). Of course I deactivated the port forwarding rules and
> abandoned the static ip going back to Using DHCP (the ip I get
> assigned, however often I restart my computer, reboot the router, and
> demand a new DHCP Lease, I always get the very same ip address I
> assigned manually). None of that changes anything.
>
> (Happening on: Titanium PowerBook G4 PPC, Mac OS X 10.4.10)
>
> I'll be most thankful for any advice concerning the issue itself or
> further ressources on the web (other than the apple discussions)

A first step would be to CLEARLY  delineate what setup you have..

Its not clear whether the stuff you are accessing is in your network,
from outside, or vice versa.

I assume its not both inside, or you wouldn't be mentioning firewalls etc.

If this is a web/ftp server that you have built externally on a hosted
machine, I would say the issue is entirely at the remote end: Browsers
wouldn't normally produce that error natively. I'd say you have a
permissions problem on your (remote) web site/ftp server..

Not on any firewall on our site.

> thanks

0
The
7/14/2007 2:33:18 PM
Hello, thanks for your reply. You are of course right, I need to
describe this in detail. I wasn't sure if this is at all a reasonable
question, so I tried to make it brief in its first instance ...

To your first point: a web space problem would be my suspicion, too.
But in this case: a) I have two computers set up. When the problem
first came up in one of them, access via html and ftp where still
possible in the other. That changed after a while: now the space is
accessible via html from the second computer; ftp access is impossible
from both.
Unfortunately, it gets even more complicated in that all this occured
while I installed the current version of Dreamweaver next to the
previous (on both machines). But that alone wouldn't easily produce an
error in all web browsers on one, but not on the other machine, I
think.
After that, it might still be a general ftp access problem, but that
wouldn't explain why hmtl access is implossible only on that one
machine. But of course, it could be two problems at a time, one DWCS3
causing problems on the space that affect the ftp connect, the second
that which causes the POSIX error.

My setup is:
1	Network Configuration (System Preferences)
1.1	before (as I set it up in order to install Port Forwarding):
	Configure IPv4 set Manually (on a static ip)
1.2	now: Using DHCP (and after acutally deleting the Configuration in
which the Error occured, the new ip no longer stays what it was as
static ip)

2	System Firewall (accessed through Sharing Preferences)
	On, Allowed: Network Time. Nothing else. UPD Traffic not blocked,
Stealth Mode disabled.

3	DSL Modem and Router: Speedport W 550V. This is a broadband router
with integrated DSL modem providing LAN and WLAN.
	DHCP active, Lease Time 4 days. (Maybe I should add that the static
ip I had previously assigned is out of the range of Start- and End-IP
of the current configuration. As far as I can tell, the router desides
on its own what Start-IP and End-IP should be, but gives me the option
to decide.)
	NAT Port Forwarding: no rules active.

4	Provider is t-online (germany).

0
n_fr (6)
7/14/2007 7:59:57 PM
n_fr@gmx.de wrote:
> Hello, thanks for your reply. You are of course right, I need to
> describe this in detail. I wasn't sure if this is at all a reasonable
> question, so I tried to make it brief in its first instance ...
>
> To your first point: a web space problem would be my suspicion, too.
> But in this case: a) I have two computers set up. When the problem
> first came up in one of them, access via html and ftp where still
> possible in the other. That changed after a while: now the space is
> accessible via html from the second computer; ftp access is impossible
> from both.
> Unfortunately, it gets even more complicated in that all this occured
> while I installed the current version of Dreamweaver next to the
> previous (on both machines). But that alone wouldn't easily produce an
> error in all web browsers on one, but not on the other machine, I
> think.
> After that, it might still be a general ftp access problem, but that
> wouldn't explain why hmtl access is implossible only on that one
> machine. But of course, it could be two problems at a time, one DWCS3
> causing problems on the space that affect the ftp connect, the second
> that which causes the POSIX error.
>

> My setup is:
> 1	Network Configuration (System Preferences)
> 1.1	before (as I set it up in order to install Port Forwarding):
> 	Configure IPv4 set Manually (on a static ip)
> 1.2	now: Using DHCP (and after acutally deleting the Configuration in
> which the Error occured, the new ip no longer stays what it was as
> static ip)
>
> 2	System Firewall (accessed through Sharing Preferences)
> 	On, Allowed: Network Time. Nothing else. UPD Traffic not blocked,
> Stealth Mode disabled.
>
> 3	DSL Modem and Router: Speedport W 550V. This is a broadband router
> with integrated DSL modem providing LAN and WLAN.
> 	DHCP active, Lease Time 4 days. (Maybe I should add that the static
> ip I had previously assigned is out of the range of Start- and End-IP
> of the current configuration. As far as I can tell, the router desides
> on its own what Start-IP and End-IP should be, but gives me the option
> to decide.)
> 	NAT Port Forwarding: no rules active.
>
> 4	Provider is t-online (germany).

I am still confused.

1/. Where is the server that you can't access correctly?
On your network? Or on the providers backbone?

2/. Is the data you can't access, stuff you have, yourself, put there?

3/. The fact that it used to work, then worked for one machine, then
didn;t work at all migfht well be a proxy issue. What are your proxy
stettimngs (if any)
0
The
7/15/2007 1:30:00 AM
1/ The Webspace is hosted on a server of a large web space providing
company, hosting web space for a few million domains publicly
accesible over the internet. (I don't know if this would be called a
backbone.)

2/ Yes. It is a web space I access via ftp to host my own and some of
my clients web sites.

3/ None so far. System Prefrences > Network offers to specify settings
for different potocols (ftp, http ... ). I have none set, and never had.
My ISP doesn't recommend any (as far as I can see), but I guess I
could find some, if this is recommendable.

0
n_fr (6)
7/15/2007 5:07:55 PM
n_fr@gmx.de wrote:
> 1/ The Webspace is hosted on a server of a large web space providing
> company, hosting web space for a few million domains publicly
> accesible over the internet. (I don't know if this would be called a
> backbone.)
>
> 2/ Yes. It is a web space I access via ftp to host my own and some of
> my clients web sites.
>
> 3/ None so far. System Prefrences > Network offers to specify settings
> for different potocols (ftp, http ... ). I have none set, and never had.
> My ISP doesn't recommend any (as far as I can see), but I guess I
> could find some, if this is recommendable.

The problems is likely to be on the server.
Examine all permissions there with ftp.
0
The
7/15/2007 5:21:33 PM
ok. When I log into my clients account on the company web site, all
seems normal, nothing indicates a problem. I'll contact the company
tomorrow. Or are there any other ways, tools maybe, to do this?

0
n_fr (6)
7/15/2007 5:44:06 PM
n_fr@gmx.de wrote:
> ok. When I log into my clients account on the company web site, all
> seems normal, nothing indicates a problem. I'll contact the company
> tomorrow. Or are there any other ways, tools maybe, to do this?

You could tell us the URL of the site that is giving the problems, and
we could try from 'out here'

0
The
7/15/2007 9:19:07 PM
please do:
http://www.form-und-sinn.de
In the meantime I came across another thing that doesn't work on the
affected machine but does work on the other: in http://www.germanwings.de,
in the pulldown with Origin and Destination I get (in any browser on
this machine) nothing but 'Origin' and 'Destination', while on the
other, I get a list of Origins and Destinations. That didn't happen
before, so I suspect it's related.
How are you going to test ftp permissions? (Since http access is
working from all machines but this one of mine)

0
n_fr (6)
7/15/2007 9:30:53 PM
In article <1184535053.003334.83610@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
 "n_fr@gmx.de" <n_fr@gmx.de> wrote:

> n the meantime I came across another thing that doesn't work on the
> affected machine but does work on the other: in http://www.germanwings.de,
> in the pulldown with Origin and Destination I get (in any browser on
> this machine) nothing but 'Origin' and 'Destination', while on the
> other, I get a list of Origins and Destinations. That didn't happen
> before, so I suspect it's related.
> How are you going to test ftp permissions? (Since http access is
> working from all machines but this one of mine)

How much hard drive space have you got left on the "affected machine?"
--
W. Oates
0
n_fr@gmx.de wrote:
> please do:
> http://www.form-und-sinn.de

Works the same in Opera 9, Firefox7 and in IE 6..

Firefox has an intersting javascript error coming up

Missing { before function body
window.open(TheURL,WinName,features);
^

Try fixing that first.  Firefox comes with an error console..did you
know that? its very useful in debugging sites you are building.

Looking at your source is in the declaration of function nfoe

<script language="JavaScript">
function nfoe(theURL,winName) // No bloody curly brace!!!
	window.open(theURL,winName,features);
}
</script>

> In the meantime I came across another thing that doesn't work on the
> affected machine but does work on the other: in http://www.germanwings.de,
> in the pulldown with Origin and Destination I get (in any browser on
> this machine) nothing but 'Origin' and 'Destination'

Same here on Opera, at least to start with..then eventually it worked.
Doesn't work on IE6
Works on Firefox.

Usual shit code from someplace.

, while on the
> other, I get a list of Origins and Destinations. That didn't happen
> before, so I suspect it's related.
> How are you going to test ftp permissions? (Since http access is
> working from all machines but this one of mine)

Hmm. If its all OK except one machine, I'd say you have a broken
installation.

I actually meant test the file permissions on the host via ftp, but that
doesn't seem to be the problem

Maybe it is in your machine/firewall or something.
0
The
7/15/2007 10:56:02 PM
Warren Oates wrote:
> In article <1184535053.003334.83610@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
>  "n_fr@gmx.de" <n_fr@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> n the meantime I came across another thing that doesn't work on the
>> affected machine but does work on the other: in http://www.germanwings.de,
>> in the pulldown with Origin and Destination I get (in any browser on
>> this machine) nothing but 'Origin' and 'Destination', while on the
>> other, I get a list of Origins and Destinations. That didn't happen
>> before, so I suspect it's related.
>> How are you going to test ftp permissions? (Since http access is
>> working from all machines but this one of mine)
>
> How much hard drive space have you got left on the "affected machine?"
Good thought...
0
The
7/15/2007 10:56:27 PM
Thank you Warren, thank you Mr/Mrs. Natural Philosopher. Available
space on my hard drive is 26,84 GB (I think that should do). Even with
firewall completely off it's still the same. I guess I'll try a router
reset and a clean install, and report back. Thanks for now

0
n_fr (6)
7/16/2007 1:08:11 PM
In article <1184591291.135675.4650@m3g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
 "n_fr@gmx.de" <n_fr@gmx.de> wrote:

> Thank you Warren, thank you Mr/Mrs. Natural Philosopher. Available
> space on my hard drive is 26,84 GB (I think that should do).

Sounds good, although it should be 10% or more of your total disk space.

Bizarre error people are reporting ...
--
W. Oates
0
On Jul 14, 7:25 am, "n...@gmx.de" <n...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Trying to acess a few urls or functions (very few, but crucial ones)
> via any browser or even the directory via ftp (it happens to be one of
> my own web spaces), I get: POSIX error: Permission
> denied" (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:13) . . . in Safari; other web browsers
> simply refuse to open it.
>
> All I changed recently was activate a port forwarding rule in my
> router, and give my computer a static ip adress (configuring IPv4
> manually). Of course I deactivated the port forwarding rules and
> abandoned the static ip going back to Using DHCP (the ip I get
> assigned, however often I restart my computer, reboot the router, and
> demand a new DHCP Lease, I always get the very same ip address I
> assigned manually). None of that changes anything.
>
> (Happening on: Titanium PowerBook G4 PPC, Mac OS X 10.4.10)
>
> I'll be most thankful for any advice concerning the issue itself or
> further ressources on the web (other than the apple discussions)
>
> thanks

Likely a firewall issue - are you running NetBarrier or some other
firewall?  If so look for the list of blocked IP addresses and then
you can look them up (use the network utility on your Mac in the
"whois" section.  Odds are they will be the sites/servers you are
trying to hit.

Good luck.

0
klueders (1)