Print to ps file not pdf file

Hello, all!

In Classic Mac OS, it was possible to print to a .ps (postscript) file
instead of sending a document to a printer.

In Mac OS X, it is now possible to print to a .pdf (Adobe portable
document format) file instead of sending a document to a printer, but
you can no longer print to a .ps file.

The printer in our department (an HP Laserjet 8000 N) does not print
..pdf documents for some reason (network operator says it's something
Adobe did wrong - not really the point of my post) but will still print
..ps files just fine.

I am a math grad student, so the program I use most to create documents
is TeXShop, which has an option to create .ps files, so I can get by for
the most part. But sometimes, e.g., I get lazy and handwrite an answer
key and scan it into a .pdf file, and then want to print it (which I
can't on the department printer).

Is there a program that will let me print a document to a .ps file? Will
Gutenprint allow me to do this? If I install Gutenprint just for this
functionality, will it destroy the functionality I have already set up
for printing (it took quite a bit to get my Mac set up to print on
department network and the network admins would not be happy if I
jeopardized or disabled that)?

Thanks in advance,
--
Jeffrey Rolland
<wildstar200@hotmail.com>

Freedom + Security = 0 and I prefer freedom (even post-911).

In article
<wildstar200-F9DBF6.14041420072006@216-165-192-91.crescentb.com>,
 Jeffrey Rolland <wildstar200@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In Mac OS X, it is now possible to print to a .pdf (Adobe portable
> document format) file instead of sending a document to a printer, but
> you can no longer print to a .ps file.
>
> The printer in our department (an HP Laserjet 8000 N) does not print
> .pdf documents for some reason (network operator says it's something
> Adobe did wrong - not really the point of my post) but will still print
> .ps files just fine.

On the print dialog, under the PDF menu (lower left) there should be a
'Save PDF as PostScript' option. Earlier Mac OS X versions didn't have
this feature. For early versions, IIRC, the LaserJet driver supported an
'Output' menu item to save as a Postscript file.

--
Brian Hughes
usenet at hughesvideo dot com
In article
<wildstar200-F9DBF6.14041420072006@216-165-192-91.crescentb.com>, Jeffrey
Rolland <wildstar200@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a program that will let me print a document to a .ps file?

There are UNIX programs like pdf2ps (install and run from the console),
and GhostView or GhostScript for X-Window for which there might be a Mac
OS X port.

--
  Hans Aberg
0
In article
<wildstar200-F9DBF6.14041420072006@216-165-192-91.crescentb.com>,
 Jeffrey Rolland <wildstar200@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In Mac OS X, it is now possible to print to a .pdf (Adobe portable
> document format) file instead of sending a document to a printer, but
> you can no longer print to a .ps file.

OS X does that too. In the Print dialog, from the pop-up menu that says
"Copies & Pages" by default, choose "Output Options". From the new
options that appear, check "Save as File" and from the pop-up next to it
choose "PostScript".

Click "Save..." (where it said "Print" before...) and presto!

-- Cillit
0
cillitb (29)
7/20/2006 7:21:39 PM
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:15:52 -0500, Hans Aberg wrote
(in article <haberg-2007062115510001@c83-250-195-81.bredband.comhem.se>):

> In article
> <wildstar200-F9DBF6.14041420072006@216-165-192-91.crescentb.com>, Jeffrey
> Rolland <wildstar200@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a program that will let me print a document to a .ps file?
>
> There are UNIX programs like pdf2ps (install and run from the console),
> and GhostView or GhostScript for X-Window for which there might be a Mac
> OS X port.

Why suggest a visit to the terminal when what the original poster wants to do
is built into the OS X print dialog?

--
James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@mac.com

0
taliesinsoft (1864)
7/20/2006 8:34:58 PM
Cillit Bang <cillitb@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Jeffrey Rolland <wildstar200@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In Mac OS X, it is now possible to print to a .pdf (Adobe portable
> > document format) file instead of sending a document to a printer, but
> > you can no longer print to a .ps file.
>
> OS X does that too. In the Print dialog, from the pop-up menu that says
> "Copies & Pages" by default, choose "Output Options". From the new
> options that appear, check "Save as File" and from the pop-up next to it
> choose "PostScript".
>
> Click "Save..." (where it said "Print" before...) and presto!

Or alternatively, don't save your scan as a PDF in the first place;
there must be other options.

--
Adrian
0
TaliesinSoft schrieb:

> Why suggest a visit to the terminal when what the original poster wants to do
> is built into the OS X print dialog?

GUIs are for wimps. Real men use terminal commands.

Stefan
0
Stefan
7/20/2006 10:32:14 PM
Stefan wrote:
> TaliesinSoft schrieb:
>
>> Why suggest a visit to the terminal when what the original poster
>> wants to do is built into the OS X print dialog?
>
> GUIs are for wimps. Real men use terminal commands.

LOL
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:32:14 -0500, Stefan wrote
(in article <ab0bb$44c0046f$54497edf$24423@news.hispeed.ch>):

> GUIs are for wimps. Real men use terminal commands.

Are you suggesting that "real men" use such as DOS?    ;-)

--
James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@mac.com

0
taliesinsoft (1864)
7/21/2006 2:10:22 AM
In article <12bvlu4dkv3ss21@corp.supernews.com>,
 Cillit Bang <cillitb@gmail.com> wrote:

> OS X does that too. In the Print dialog, from the pop-up menu that
> says  "Copies & Pages" by default, choose "Output Options".

I don't have that on my system.  Tiger, 10.4.7

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease:  Impeach the son of a Bush.
0
 TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@mac.com> wrote:

> Why suggest a visit to the terminal when what the original poster
> wants to do is built into the OS X print dialog?

Which version of OS X are you using?

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease:  Impeach the son of a Bush.
0
michelle14 (19004)
7/21/2006 2:13:38 AM
In article
<invalid.email-DACAB5.12151820072006@nnrp-virt.nntp.sonic.net>,
 Brian Hughes <invalid.email@hughesvideo.invalid> wrote:

> On the print dialog, under the PDF menu (lower left) there should be
> a 'Save PDF as PostScript' option.

Yup, I have that one.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease:  Impeach the son of a Bush.
0
michelle14 (19004)
7/21/2006 2:15:21 AM
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:13:38 -0500, Michelle Steiner wrote
(in article <michelle-A3B518.19133720072006@news.west.cox.net>):

> In article <0001HW.C0E5532200093C6AF0284500@news.supernews.com>,
>  TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Why suggest a visit to the terminal when what the original poster
>> wants to do is built into the OS X print dialog?
>
> Which version of OS X are you using?

I'm using OS X 10.4.7, but I'll be fair and admit that I don't know when the
"print to postscript" option was first present in the print dialog.

--
James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@mac.com

0
taliesinsoft (1864)
7/21/2006 2:34:54 AM
In article <michelle-067D11.19125420072006@news.west.cox.net>,
 Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <12bvlu4dkv3ss21@corp.supernews.com>,
>  Cillit Bang <cillitb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > OS X does that too. In the Print dialog, from the pop-up menu that
> > says  "Copies & Pages" by default, choose "Output Options".
>
> I don't have that on my system.  Tiger, 10.4.7

Hmm...I have it on 10.3.9.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
taliesinsoft@mac.com wrote:

> > There are UNIX programs like pdf2ps (install and run from the console),
> > and GhostView or GhostScript for X-Window for which there might be a Mac
> > OS X port.
>
> Why suggest a visit to the terminal when what the original poster wants to do
> is built into the OS X print dialog?

Why telling others to not point out possibilities, so that folks can
choose what fit them best?

--
  Hans Aberg
0
In article <michelle-067D11.19125420072006@news.west.cox.net>,
 Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> I don't have that on my system.  Tiger, 10.4.7

Nor do I, but when I press the "PDF" button, it gives me a drop-down
menu that includes a postscript option, "Save PDF as Postscript."
--
W. Oates
 Teal'c: He is concealing something.

> > OS X does that too. In the Print dialog, from the pop-up menu that says
> > "Copies & Pages" by default, choose "Output Options". From the new
> > options that appear, check "Save as File" and from the pop-up next to it
> > choose "PostScript".
> >
> > Click "Save..." (where it said "Print" before...) and presto!

What if the "Copies & Pages" menu does not have "Output Options" in it?
[MacOS X 10.4.7]
0
doozy (462)
7/21/2006 12:29:53 PM
Philo D <doozy@earthling.net.invalid> wrote:

> What if the "Copies & Pages" menu does not have "Output Options" in it?
> [MacOS X 10.4.7]

Then you choose to "Save PDF as Postscript" instead.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://macconsult.com/cafepress/> Net Junkie and Mac-themed shirts etc.
On 2006-07-21, TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@mac.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:32:14 -0500, Stefan wrote
> (in article <ab0bb$44c0046f$54497edf$24423@news.hispeed.ch>):
>
>> GUIs are for wimps. Real men use terminal commands.
>
> Are you suggesting that "real men" use such as DOS?    ;-)

Why people always associate "Text mode" with DOS... A textmode program
can run on an advanced OS with that support multiple thread, protected
memory etc...

But that don't change the fact it's also possible to be a real men and
not being able to use a computer at all... :p

--
Martin
0
Alice Faber <afaber@panix.com> wrote:

> In article <michelle-067D11.19125420072006@news.west.cox.net>,
>  Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
>
> > In article <12bvlu4dkv3ss21@corp.supernews.com>,
> >  Cillit Bang <cillitb@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > OS X does that too. In the Print dialog, from the pop-up menu that
> > > says  "Copies & Pages" by default, choose "Output Options".
> >
> > I don't have that on my system.  Tiger, 10.4.7
>
> Hmm...I have it on 10.3.9.

The print dialog changed in 10.4. Other posts in this thread describe
the new option, which has the "Save as PDF" button replaced with a PDF
button which is a pop-up menu. Included in this menu is a "Save PDF as
Postscript" command.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
Brian Hughes wrote:
> 'Save PDF as PostScript' option. Earlier Mac OS X versions didn't have

OP did not say which version he was using.
This feature is not in 10.3.9

--
Wes Groleau

    "A man with an experience is never
     at the mercy of a man with an argument."
                       -- Ron Allen
0
news31 (6772)
7/22/2006 5:56:48 PM
Wes Groleau wrote:

> Brian Hughes wrote:
>
>> 'Save PDF as PostScript' option. Earlier Mac OS X versions didn't have
>

> OP did not say which version he was using.
> This feature is not in 10.3.9

Begging to disagree, but I am running 10.3.9 and in my print dialog box
under the output options menu, I have a check box that says "Save as
File" when I check that, the "Format" menu becomes active and I can
select the option of PDF or Postscript. I can't do anything with the
menu (which defaults to PDF) until I check the box.
HTH
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
0
me4 (19624)
7/22/2006 6:29:34 PM

Grandpa wrote:
> Wes Groleau wrote:
>
>> Brian Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> 'Save PDF as PostScript' option. Earlier Mac OS X versions didn't have
>>
>> OP did not say which version he was using.
>> This feature is not in 10.3.9
>
> Begging to disagree, but I am running 10.3.9 and in my print dialog box
> under the output options menu, I have a check box that says "Save as
> File" when I check that, the "Format" menu becomes active and I can
> select the option of PDF or Postscript. I can't do anything with the
> menu (which defaults to PDF) until I check the box.

You're right.  The strange wording confused me--there
is no "Save PDF as PostScript" option on the print dialog
unless you select the output options page.  Plus, on that
page, the option is actually  PDF _or_ Postscript  and
it's not in the lower left.

I thought he meant that the PDF save dialog, that comes from
the PDF button (which IS on the lower left) would contain
that option.

--
Wes Groleau

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.

An optimist says the glass is half full.

An engineer says somebody made the glass
        twice as big as it needed to be.
0
news31 (6772)
7/22/2006 10:40:57 PM
In article <44c0b78b$0$1609$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
 Warren Oates <warren.oates@gmail.com> wrote:

|In article <michelle-067D11.19125420072006@news.west.cox.net>,
| Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
|
|> I don't have that on my system.  Tiger, 10.4.7
|
|Nor do I, but when I press the "PDF" button, it gives me a drop-down
|menu that includes a postscript option, "Save PDF as Postscript."

Thanks, all, for posting.

I forgot to mention that I am running 10.4.7 on an iBook 900MHz G3.

I do in fact have the drop-down menu with the Postscript option; this
option actually works for all programs *except my newsreader*
(MT-NewsWatcher v3.2 - probably a newer version out there that supports
this), which threw me for a small loop initally, but I finally figured
it out. In particular, it works for Acrobat Reader 7.0.8, which is all I
need.

I also have MacGhostView, so I can even preview the output to make sure
it's what I want before sending to the printer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sincerely,