Printer won't

   I installed Airfoil and Airport Express as a client. All of a sudden
my printer (Brother MCN420) on the USB won't work. At first I couldn't
even find it on System Pref and when I wanted to print. Now (after
reloading the driver) I can find the printer and when I try to print, it
gets into the queue but nothing happens for a couple of seconds and then
it is automatically stopped. I see nothing on the printer screen like I
used about receiving data.  I switched around the UBS slots in case that
one was going bad. No deal. The other things attached to USB seem to be
working Okay.
   Before it went away entirely it was VERY slow since Airfoil was
installed. Don't know if any of this is related by anything other than
time, but thought I'd throw it is.
     When I turn the computer off or reset, I get the error message
Library/Startup Items/LogInServ do not have proper security settings. I
have not used the fix offer yet, because I don't what the heck this
means.
     Any suggestions?

     The console log is
Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
2008-03-22 13:00:54 -0400
2008-03-22 13:00:54.785 loginwindow[75] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags
returned err = -43
Service 'com_kensington_mouseworks_iokit_KensingtonMouseDriver' not found
MouseWorks Background: could not connect to driver
2008-03-22 13:00:59.568 SystemUIServer[191] lang is:en
Mar 22 13:01:04 Kurt-Ullmans-computer crashdump[227]: Exited process
crashed
Mar 22 13:01:04 Kurt-Ullmans-computer crashdump[227]: crash report
written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Exited process.crash.log
Mar 22 13:03:40 Kurt-Ullmans-computer mDNSResponder: Excessive update
rate for Printer @ Kurt Ullman's computer (3)._ipp._tcp.local.; delaying
announcement by 1 second
2008-03-22 13:05:29.760 makequeues[281] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when
trying to load
/Library/Printers/hp/photosmart/hp_photosmart.plugin/iom.plugin/Contents/
MacOS/iom
2008-03-22 13:05:29.761 makequeues[281] CFLog (22): Cannot find function
pointer IOPluginFactory for factory 560F6BC4-40D8-11D6-B02F-0003936379E2
in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x314d10
</Library/Printers/hp/photosmart/hp_photosmart.plugin/iom.plugin>
(bundle, not loaded)
Mar 22 13:05:55 Kurt-Ullmans-computer mDNSResponder: Excessive update
rate for Printer @ Kurt Ullman's computer (3)._ipp._tcp.local.; delaying
announcement by 1 second
Mar 22 13:05:57 Kurt-Ullmans-computer mDNSResponder: Excessive update
rate for Printer @ Kurt Ullman's computer (3)._ipp._tcp.local.; delaying
announcement by 1 second
2008-03-22 13:08:39.548 Printer Setup Utility[240] CFLog (21): dyld
returns 2 when trying to load
/Library/Printers/hp/photosmart/hp_photosmart.plugin/iom.plugin/Contents/
MacOS/iom
2008-03-22 13:08:39.549 Printer Setup Utility[240] CFLog (22): Cannot
find function pointer IOPluginFactory for factory
560F6BC4-40D8-11D6-B02F-0003936379E2 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x159b7410
</Library/Printers/hp/photosmart/hp_photosmart.plugin/iom.plugin>
(bundle, not loaded)
Using:Western (Mac OS Roman)
2008-03-22 13:08:43.636 makequeues[328] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when
trying to load
/Library/Printers/hp/photosmart/hp_photosmart.plugin/iom.plugin/Contents/
MacOS/iom
2008-03-22 13:08:43.636 makequeues[328] CFLog (22): Cannot find function
pointer IOPluginFactory for factory 560F6BC4-40D8-11D6-B02F-0003936379E2
in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x314d10
</Library/Printers/hp/photosmart/hp_photosmart.plugin/iom.plugin>
(bundle, not loaded)
2008-03-22 13:09:46.929 NetCfgTool[340] does not permit write string!
2008-03-22 13:09:46.930 NetCfgTool[340] does not permit write string!
0
kurtullman (1679)

In article
<kurtullman-858B0E.13252522032008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
 Kurt Ullman <kurtullman@yahoo.com> wrote:

  I should know better than that by now, but after about 3 hours of
messing around, I sent the message about my printer. It decided
apparently on it own to show up and seems to be working okay. I am
convinced that the FIRST thing one should do is post a request for
information to Usenet since that always seems to fix things (g).
     Anyway, I am STILL getting the thing below. Is this a problem?

>      When I turn the computer off or reset, I get the error message
> Library/Startup Items/LogInServ do not have proper security settings. I
> have not used the fix offer yet, because I don't what the heck this
> means.
>      Any suggestions?

0
kurtullman (1679)
3/22/2008 5:36:37 PM
In article
<kurtullman-F3E702.13363722032008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
 Kurt Ullman <kurtullman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article
> <kurtullman-858B0E.13252522032008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
>  Kurt Ullman <kurtullman@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>   I should know better than that by now, but after about 3 hours of
> messing around, I sent the message about my printer. It decided
> apparently on it own to show up and seems to be working okay. I am
> convinced that the FIRST thing one should do is post a request for
> information to Usenet since that always seems to fix things (g).
>      Anyway, I am STILL getting the thing below. Is this a problem?
>

> >      When I turn the computer off or reset, I get the error message
> > Library/Startup Items/LogInServ do not have proper security settings. I
> > have not used the fix offer yet, because I don't what the heck this
> > means.
> >      Any suggestions?

Are you still getting the Kensington mouse crash message?  I wonder if
that is part of the problem- if it is mucking up the USB system.  I
don't know if Kensington's driver software is compatible with 10.5- I
don't use either- but I'd be suspicious of anything that creates
problems on the USB bus.
0
timmcn (2339)
3/22/2008 9:50:56 PM
In article <timmcn-49A39C.16505622032008@news.iphouse.com>,
 Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

> Are you still getting the Kensington mouse crash message?  I wonder if
> that is part of the problem- if it is mucking up the USB system.  I
> don't know if Kensington's driver software is compatible with 10.5- I
> don't use either- but I'd be suspicious of anything that creates
> problems on the USB bus.

      I am still running 10.4.11 (sorry but I keep forgetting about the
"new" OS) and yes it is still there.      The Mouse still works, though.
The error message gives me the option to fix it. I was hesitated because
it was LoginServer and not having proper security setting. Any reason to
not just let the computer take care of it next time/
0
kurtullman (1679)
3/22/2008 10:09:47 PM
Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

> Are you still getting the Kensington mouse crash message?  I wonder if
> that is part of the problem- if it is mucking up the USB system.  I
> don't know if Kensington's driver software is compatible with 10.5- I
> don't use either- but I'd be suspicious of anything that creates
> problems on the USB bus.

The OP has already posted that he's running 10.4.11, but, for what it's
worth, I'm running the current version of Kensington Mouseworks, 2.9,
with 10.5.2 and no problems.

--
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods.
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The error message gives me the option to fix it. I was hesitated because
> it was LoginServer and not having proper security setting. Any reason to
> not just let the computer take care of it next time/

No reason not to.

--
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods.
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/greet.cgi> Holiday cards with attitude
0
mikePOST (4990)
3/22/2008 10:53:54 PM
In article <1ie7wg8.1atzaps1viq37gN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
 mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Kurt Ullman <kurtullman@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The error message gives me the option to fix it. I was hesitated because
> > it was LoginServer and not having proper security setting. Any reason to
> > not just let the computer take care of it next time/
>
> No reason not to.

   Then i shall. Thanks to all for the assist...

kurtullman (1679)