Problem transferring data to new Imac

How can I transfer data from my old Imac to my new Imac, so that
there's only one Macintosh H.D. icon and one Applications folder and
one Users folder?

I watched videos about the called Target Disk Mode data transfer method
, but the method results in two Macintosh H.D. icons, two Applications
folders and two Users folder on the new Mac.

My old (and currently used) Imac has only one of each.

Tom

0
Tom
12/24/2016 1:58:18 PM
comp.sys.mac.system 33446 articles. 2 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9469) is leader. Post Follow

In article <2016122405581819825-tomevans9890@yahoo.ca>,
 Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> How can I transfer data from my old Imac to my new Imac, so that
> there's only one Macintosh H.D. icon and one Applications folder and
> one Users folder?
>
> I watched videos about the called Target Disk Mode data transfer method
> , but the method results in two Macintosh H.D. icons, two Applications
> folders and two Users folder on the new Mac.
>
> My old (and currently used) Imac has only one of each.
>
> Tom

Run Migration Assistant (Should be located in /Applications/Utilities)

Andre

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail service.
0
On 2016-12-24 08:58, Tom Evans wrote:
> How can I transfer data from my old Imac to my new Imac, so that there's
> only one Macintosh H.D. icon and one Applications folder and one Users
> folder?
>
> I watched videos about the called Target Disk Mode data transfer method
> , but the method results in two Macintosh H.D. icons, two Applications
> folders and two Users folder on the new Mac.
>
> My old (and currently used) Imac has only one of each.

Use Migration Assistant.  I suggest you delete the new account(s) on the
new Mac first.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> How can I transfer data from my old Imac to my new Imac, so that
> there's only one Macintosh H.D. icon and one Applications folder and
> one Users folder?

When you boot up the new Mac for the first time, answer "Yes" and
follow the instructions when it asks you if you want to transfer
information from another Mac. This will run Setup Assistant.

Answering "no" to Setup Assistant, and then attempting to run Migration
Assistant after you've already set up your new Mac is almost always a
mistake. If you've already made that mistake, you might consider
reinstalling MacOS to factory defaults and trying again.

--
K.

Connection closed by foreign host.
0
me
12/24/2016 5:57:05 PM
In message <2016122405581819825-tomevans9890@yahoo.ca>
  Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> How can I transfer data from my old Imac to my new Imac, so that
> there's only one Macintosh H.D. icon and one Applications folder and
> one Users folder?

When setting up your new iMac (note correct spelling) you will be asked
if you want to transfer files from your old iMac. You do.

--
Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way.
0