Re: Classic won't work with HP Printer #3

> On 2005-03-04 07:25:08 -0800, Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> said:
>
>> A client of mine has a small ethernet network, using 1 iMac Flat-Panel and 2
>> eMacs. There's an Asante' hub to connect them and an HP 4050 TN printer.One
>> of the eMacs was bought maybe 6 months ago, and the other was bought about
>> 10 days ago. The latest eMac won't print on the HP printer, although the
>> others will, whether in os x or classic.  These three are mostly used on a
>> proprietary program, DentalMac.
>>
>> When I discovered the printing problem on the latest eMac, I tried printing
>> from SimpleText (in Classic). I get an error message "SimpleText is unable
>> to print this document. Please use the Chooser to select a printer."
>> I did that, selected LaserWriter 8, driver, selected the HP 4050 Series
>> printer, made sure AppleTalk was on, and tried again, same error message.
>>
>> I called HP Tech Support, and was asked to check a variety of things,
>> including the Configuration page(s). I was advised to go to Extensions
>> Manager, set for base os 9.2.2 extensions, try again, same problem. Did also
>> Print & Fax setups in System Preferences to try to get it to print in OS X,
>> no dice.
>>
>> I checked everything in the "About this Mac" info, to see if the 2 eMacs
>> differed. Couldn't find anything different in CPU, CPU speed, boot ROM
>> version, etc. I haven't yet tried just switching the 2 eMacs.
>>
>> At that point, HP Technical Support pointed out that Classic "is not fully
>> supported by Hewlett-Packard. It is not a native operating system but a
>> virtual operating system running on top of Mac OS X (HP software is designed
>> and tested for native operating system....At this time, support offered for
>> Mac os 9 Classic is on a "best effort" basis..."
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>> Ed

After all the advice I've gotten on this, I tried several proposed
techniques and none work. (For example, when I tried to use the LaserWriter
8 driver to print to a postscript file, I got the same error message as in
trying to print to the printer; I "fixed permissions", still no
improvement.) I downloaded HP's latest drivers for this printer (which in
preparing to install, mentioned a "Classic" version it would install), and
now can print from OS X, but still can't print from Classic. I checked again
with the twin of this Mac, which prints fine from Classic. I can't find
anything different, other than that on the Mac with the problem, when I'm in
Printer setup utility (in System Preferences> I see, in addition to the
printer driver I've added, another that says Shared> and gives the same name
again. I can't find anything I've done that added a Shared printer!

I still keep thinking it's something trivial, as one printer works, and its
clone doesn't!
Ed

0
kearnser (70)

In <BE55B6F6.10154%kearnser@comcast.net>, Ed Kearns  wrote:
> I downloaded HP's latest drivers for this printer (which in
> preparing to install, mentioned a "Classic" version it would install),
> and now can print from OS X, but still can't print from Classic.

Run a Classic program, select the Chooser from the Classic Apple menu,
and choose the printer.

If you have no option in the Classic Chooser to choose that printer, you
do not have the OS 9 drivers installed.

When you run Classic, it is helpful to think f it as a separate computer
and not connected with OS X at all. That means, among other things, you
still need to use the Chooser to print from a Classic program.
--
Art, shareware, photography, polyamory, kink:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Tacit (tacitr@aol.com) wrote:
: When you run Classic, it is helpful to think f it as a separate computer
: and not connected with OS X at all. That means, among other things, you
: still need to use the Chooser to print from a Classic program.

Yes, Tacit, you're exactly right, but...

When you run Classic there are some System interacting INITs which
conflict with the same ones in OS X. Filesharing comes to mind. These must
be turned off or Classic gets flakey. I have asked in this forum before if
anyone has a comprehensive list of what Classic INITs should be disabled
(or not), but no one seems to really know. I'd appreciate any
enlightenment on this topic you can offer.

--Fred
0
fmoore (1430)
3/11/2005 4:48:39 PM
In <d0si57$dc8$1@acme.gcfn.org>, Fred Moore wrote:
> When you run Classic there are some System interacting INITs which
> conflict with the same ones in OS X. Filesharing comes to mind. These
> must be turned off or Classic gets flakey. I have asked in this forum
> before if anyone has a comprehensive list of what Classic INITs should
> be disabled (or not), but no one seems to really know. I'd appreciate
> any enlightenment on this topic you can offer.

It should not be necessary to disable any Apple INITs; the ones which
conflict with OS X simply refuse to load. For example, if you try to
load the OS 9 Network control panel, you'll see a message to the effect
that the control panel can't be used in Classic.

My Classic install on the machine I'm using now has the complete suite
of Apple control panels and extensions installed.