Re: Classic won't work with HP printer #5

On 3/10/05, at 5:25 PM, Michael Viain wrote:

>>>The only thing I can think of is that the printer isn't using a protocol
that MacOS 9 can figure out or that one of your MacOS 9 System
Extensions interferes with the HP drivers you've install.  Try booting
Classic with the extension manager (Under the Advanced menu) and start
the debugging process of "What extension is screwing this up".

Painful, but I don't see any other options for you at this point.
Unless you want to buy another printer, one that's supported.  That's
your call...>>>

I've done that, to no avail. With all the discussion on this topic, for
which I'm grateful, I still don't see why two identical Macs on the same
network behave differently. One prints fine, the other doesn't. I hope that
someone can suggest another source of the problem--some that got set wrong,
perhaps.
Ed

0
kearnser (70)

In article <BE5857E0.10262%kearnser@comcast.net>,
 Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <BE5626C5.101A5%kearnser@comcast.net>,
>  Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > In <BE55B6F6.10154%kearnser@comcast.net>, Ed Kearns  wrote:
> > > I downloaded HP's latest drivers for this printer (which in
> > > preparing to install, mentioned a "Classic" version it would install),
> > > and now can print from OS X, but still can't print from Classic.

> > Run a Classic program, select the Chooser from the Classic Apple menu,
> > and choose the printer.
> >

> > I've done that, I choose the printer, then try to print, and it tells me
> > "..go to Chooser and select a printer."
> >
> > If you have no option in the Classic Chooser to choose that printer, you
> > do not have the OS 9 drivers installed.
> >
> > Yes, I know that, but I although I installed from HP's downloaded drivers,
> > it's not working. And why is it working on an identical printer and not this
> > one?
> >
> > When you run Classic, it is helpful to think f it as a separate computer
> > and not connected with OS X at all. That means, among other things, you
> > still need to use the Chooser to print from a Classic program.>>
> >
> > Yes, yes, I know that.

> that MacOS 9 can figure out or that one of your MacOS 9 System
> Extensions interferes with the HP drivers you've install.  Try booting
> Classic with the extension manager (Under the Advanced menu) and start
> the debugging process of "What extension is screwing this up".
>
> Painful, but I don't see any other options for you at this point.
> Unless you want to buy another printer, one that's supported.  That's
> your call...>>>
>
> I've done that, to no avail. With all the discussion on this topic, for
> which I'm grateful, I still don't see why two identical Macs on the same
> network behave differently. One prints fine, the other doesn't. I hope that
> someone can suggest another source of the problem--some that got set wrong,
> perhaps.
> Ed

_Are_ they "identical"?  Did you install from the same CD, configure,
login and attempt to print in classic on both systems--one didn't work
and one did?  That might point to hardware more than anything else to
me.  How do you know these machines are truly identical?

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
vilain (1505)