Re: Classic won't work with HP printer #6

On March 13, 2005, at 2:19 AM, Michael Vilain said:
> [...]
login and attempt to print in classic on both systems--one didn't work
and one did?  That might point to hardware more than anything else to
me.  How do you know these machines are truly identical?>>>>

Everything in "About this Mac and About this Mac>More info" is the same.
What else could I look at? Originally I did install from the same CD. When
that didn't work, I downloaded the "latest" drivers from the HP site and
installed them on the one which still doesn't work. I configured both the
same, except that the one that won't print in Classic shows 2 printers, one
of which is shared. Can't seem to delete that, don't know how I got that.
Ed

0
kearnser (70)

In article <BE59B9EB.102CF%kearnser@comcast.net>,
 Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <BE5857E0.10262%kearnser@comcast.net>,
>  Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <BE5626C5.101A5%kearnser@comcast.net>,
> >  Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:

> > > Run a Classic program, select the Chooser from the Classic Apple menu,
> > > and choose the printer.
> > >

> > > I've done that, I choose the printer, then try to print, and it tells me
> > > "..go to Chooser and select a printer."
> > >
> > > If you have no option in the Classic Chooser to choose that printer, you
> > > do not have the OS 9 drivers installed.
> > >
> > > Yes, I know that, but I although I installed from HP's downloaded
> > > drivers,
> > > it's not working. And why is it working on an identical printer and not
> > > this
> > > one?
> > >
> > > When you run Classic, it is helpful to think f it as a separate computer
> > > and not connected with OS X at all. That means, among other things, you
> > > still need to use the Chooser to print from a Classic program.>>
> > >
> > > Yes, yes, I know that.

> > that MacOS 9 can figure out or that one of your MacOS 9 System
> > Extensions interferes with the HP drivers you've install.  Try booting
> > Classic with the extension manager (Under the Advanced menu) and start
> > the debugging process of "What extension is screwing this up".
> >
> > Painful, but I don't see any other options for you at this point.
> > Unless you want to buy another printer, one that's supported.  That's
> > your call...>>>
> >
> > I've done that, to no avail. With all the discussion on this topic, for
> > which I'm grateful, I still don't see why two identical Macs on the same
> > network behave differently. One prints fine, the other doesn't. I hope that
> > someone can suggest another source of the problem--some that got set wrong,
> > perhaps.
> > Ed

> login and attempt to print in classic on both systems--one didn't work
> and one did?  That might point to hardware more than anything else to
> me.  How do you know these machines are truly identical?>>>>
>
> Everything in "About this Mac and About this Mac>More info" is the same.
> What else could I look at? Originally I did install from the same CD. When
> that didn't work, I downloaded the "latest" drivers from the HP site and
> installed them on the one which still doesn't work. I configured both the
> same, except that the one that won't print in Classic shows 2 printers, one
> of which is shared. Can't seem to delete that, don't know how I got that.
> Ed

Doesn't sound like they're identical to me.  Since you can't use the
non-functioning one, as a last ditch effort to solve the problem, I'd
try installing the OS and Classic from scratch, installing the drivers,
and seeing if you still have the problem.  Is this is more than you want
to do, I think you're stuck with the non-functioning MacOS 9 printing
system and will have to live with this way.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
vilain (1505)