Re: Classic won't work with HP printer

--MS_Mac_OE_3192863232_803600_MIME_Part

On Friday, March 4, 2005, Michael Vilain (vilain@spamcop.net) said:
<Start complaining to the DentalMac support people that you're paying
good money for a program that's running on an unsupported OS.  MacOS 9
hasn't been updated in quite some time nor will it be.  Ask when they're
releasing their MacOS X version.  You can even borrow my mother's black
whip if you need it.>

Let me see if I understand you. Because Apple doesn't sell a truly workable
version of os 9 anymore, i.e. it sells Classic which often doesn't print
(and keeps that fact a big secret--otherwise many of us would buy
dual-bootable used machines), you're expecting vendors of software that
barely survive in a mostly Winows market (due to Apple's many marketing
failures) to bust their chops to do an os x version? I think os x is ok, has
some improvements, but is not tremendously better than os 9. I think it's a
fraud to advertise Classic as running os 9 applications when you can rarely
print from them. That's unworthy of Apple.
Ed Kearns

--MS_Mac_OE_3192863232_803600_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Classic won't work with HP printer</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
On Friday, March 4, 2005, Michael Vilain (vilain@spamcop.net) said:<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">&lt;Start complaining to the DentalMac support people=
 that you're paying <BR>
good money for a program that's running on an unsupported OS. &nbsp;MacOS 9=
 <BR>
hasn't been updated in quite some time nor will it be. &nbsp;Ask when they'=
re <BR>
releasing their MacOS X version. &nbsp;You can even borrow my mother's blac=
k <BR>
whip if you need it.&gt;<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<BR>
Let me see if I understand you. Because Apple doesn't sell a truly workable=
 version of os 9 anymore, i.e. it sells Classic which often doesn't print (a=
nd keeps that fact a big secret--otherwise many of us would buy dual-bootabl=
e used machines), you're expecting vendors of software that barely survive i=
n a mostly Winows market (due to Apple's many marketing failures) to bust th=
eir chops to do an os x version? I think os x is ok, has some improvements, =
but is not tremendously better than os 9. I think it's a fraud to advertise =
Classic as running os 9 applications when you can rarely print from them. Th=
at's unworthy of Apple.<BR>
Ed Kearns
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3192863232_803600_MIME_Part--

0
kearnser (70)

In article <BE4F39FF.FEB7%kearnser@comcast.net>,
 Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:

> it sells Classic which often doesn't print

When I installed Epson printer software on my X-only machine, but planning to
print at times from classic apps, I ran the installer for the X driver, then
drilled into the package for the classic/OS9 part and installed that manually. I
know you have an HP, but the installer might be similar.

Otherwise, you could set up a free PDF distiller for classic, print your stuff
to PDF and take it from there. See
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html, in the heading "Printing PDF
files from Classic applications: a freeware PDF Distiller".

--
John Rethorst
jrethorst at post dot com
(in article <BE4F39FF.FEB7%kearnser@comcast.net>):

> On Friday, March 4, 2005, Michael Vilain (vilain@spamcop.net) said:
> <Start complaining to the DentalMac support people that you're paying
> good money for a program that's running on an unsupported OS.  MacOS 9
> hasn't been updated in quite some time nor will it be.  Ask when they're
> releasing their MacOS X version.  You can even borrow my mother's black
> whip if you need it.>
>

> Let me see if I understand you. Because Apple doesn't sell a truly workable
> version of os 9 anymore, i.e. it sells Classic which often doesn't print

Incorrect. Classic prints... if you install the drivers.

> (and keeps that fact a big secret--otherwise many of us would buy
> dual-bootable used machines), you're expecting vendors of software that
> barely survive in a mostly Winows market (due to Apple's many marketing
> failures) to bust their chops to do an os x version?

If it hasn't been made available as an OS X version by this time, it's not
going to be. Period.

> I think os x is ok, has
> some improvements, but is not tremendously better than os 9. I think it's a
> fraud to advertise Classic as running os 9 applications when you can rarely
> print from them.

I can print from any OS 9 app I wish to, using Classic.

--
We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

0
charlesd (460)
3/5/2005 4:51:32 PM

Ed Kearns wrote:

> On Friday, March 4, 2005, Michael Vilain (vilain@spamcop.net) said:
> <Start complaining to the DentalMac support people that you're paying
> good money for a program that's running on an unsupported OS.  MacOS 9
>
> hasn't been updated in quite some time nor will it be.  Ask when
> they're
> releasing their MacOS X version.  You can even borrow my mother's
> black
> whip if you need it.>
>
> Let me see if I understand you. Because Apple doesn't sell a truly
> workable version of os 9 anymore, i.e. it sells Classic which often
> doesn't print (and keeps that fact a big secret--otherwise many of us
> would buy dual-bootable used machines), you're expecting vendors of
> software that barely survive in a mostly Winows market (due to Apple's
> many marketing failures) to bust their chops to do an os x version? I
> think os x is ok, has some improvements, but is not tremendously
> better than os 9. I think it's a fraud to advertise Classic as running
> os 9 applications when you can rarely print from them. That's unworthy
> of Apple.

I have a similar printing from Classic mode problem.  I see you're
getting some of the same reactions I did, namely, that because most
programs work, and many printing situations work, all is well and you're
being unreasonable.  Or that it's your own fault for not upgrading some
thing or other.

Lisa
0
Lisa0205 (226)
3/5/2005 7:05:48 PM
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:05:48 -0500, Lisa Horton wrote
(in article <422A030C.47B7BA4D@lisahorton.net>):

> Ed Kearns wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, March 4, 2005, Michael Vilain (vilain@spamcop.net) said:
>> <Start complaining to the DentalMac support people that you're paying
>> good money for a program that's running on an unsupported OS.  MacOS 9
>>
>> hasn't been updated in quite some time nor will it be.  Ask when
>> they're
>> releasing their MacOS X version.  You can even borrow my mother's
>> black
>> whip if you need it.>
>>
>> Let me see if I understand you. Because Apple doesn't sell a truly
>> workable version of os 9 anymore, i.e. it sells Classic which often
>> doesn't print (and keeps that fact a big secret--otherwise many of us
>> would buy dual-bootable used machines), you're expecting vendors of
>> software that barely survive in a mostly Winows market (due to Apple's
>> many marketing failures) to bust their chops to do an os x version? I
>> think os x is ok, has some improvements, but is not tremendously
>> better than os 9. I think it's a fraud to advertise Classic as running
>> os 9 applications when you can rarely print from them. That's unworthy
>> of Apple.
>
> I have a similar printing from Classic mode problem.  I see you're
> getting some of the same reactions I did, namely, that because most
> programs work, and many printing situations work, all is well and you're
> being unreasonable.

If he's got the problem I think he does, he _is_ being just the least little
bit unreasonable for blaming Apple because HP were a bunch of clueless gits.

>  Or that it's your own fault for not upgrading some
> thing or other.

Frankly, I suspect that HP wants to use Apple Printer Utility. Which doesn't
work anymore. But he'd have to confirm that his printer is attaching via USB.

If the printer _isn't_ a USB printer, then things are Very Strange, because
it should Just Work. More data would be required.

--
We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to
our own. Bend over right now. Resistance is futile.

0
charlesd (460)
3/5/2005 7:48:02 PM
This may help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2005030316173578

--
John Rethorst
jrethorst at post dot com

Using the printer required an ethernet connection to enable printing
from Classic; otherwise, I couldn't use Apple Talk. Using the USB
connection was OK with 10.x.x, but I couldn't turn on Apple Talk for
Classic using the USB connection

Since I didn't get the printer with the ethernet plug-in, I had to
spring for the module and the cable.  Following installation and going
to the ethernet connection, I could activate Apple Talk, and everything
printed from Classic.

I don't know whether this is an OS 10.x.x hangup, or HP's.

George

--
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.