Send Windows Friendly Attachment?

When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
complained so far about not being able to open anything.
0
Justin9 (261)
7/20/2011 3:47:06 AM
comp.sys.mac.system 32691 articles. 0 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9469) is leader. Post Follow

In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
 Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:

> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> complained so far about not being able to open anything.

I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
more properly, being unable to view them inline.

So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?

Isaac
0
isw (728)
7/20/2011 5:47:59 AM
Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:

> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> complained so far about not being able to open anything.

Files on the Mac can have a resource fork and other metadata such as a
file type and creator, which ideally should be preserved when sending
the file to another Mac.

If the file has this extra data and is sent as an e-mail attachment, and
you didn't check "Send Windows Friendly Attachments", then Mail sends
TWO attachments for the file. One contains the data fork portion of the
file, the other contains the resource fork and Mac-specific metadata.

Windows e-mail clients (and users) can't handle this. They seem to end
up trying to process the Mac resource data as if it was the real file,
and complain about you having sent them a bogus file (when in fact their
e-mail software wasn't intelligent enough to ignore the extra
attachment, and they didn't try the other attachment).

If you turn on that option, then the Mac resource fork and metadata are
not sent, and everyone sees a single attachment. Mac users might end up
with some information missing (e.g. custom icon in the resource fork),
but you could avoid that sort of issue by zipping files before sending
them to Mac users if you want to preserve Mac metadata.

If the file doesn't have a resource fork in the first place, and isn't
using Mac-specific metadata like a file type and creator, then the
Windows-friendly option doesn't make any difference.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
>  Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:
>
> > When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> > Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> > Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> > graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> > both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> > complained so far about not being able to open anything.
>
> I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> more properly, being unable to view them inline.
>
> So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?

It probably has something to do with stripping off the usual
resource fork that goes with Mac files and sending just the data
one.

--
dorayme
0
On 20/07/11 1:17 PM, Justin wrote:
> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently? I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option. None of them have complained
> so far about not being able to open anything.

Maybe it also adds an extension if the Mac file doesn't have one?
Windows doesn't know what to do with a file without an extension

John
0
john943 (11)
7/20/2011 8:31:16 AM
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
>  Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:
>
> > When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> > Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> > Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> > graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> > both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> > complained so far about not being able to open anything.
>
> I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> more properly, being unable to view them inline.
>
> So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?
>
> Isaac

I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
attachment?).  There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows
perspective--about how Mail.app sends attachments.
0
lybanon (223)
7/20/2011 4:12:54 PM
In article
<lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
 Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <isw-4BA7F2.22475919072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
> >  Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> > > Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> > > Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> > > graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> > > both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> > > complained so far about not being able to open anything.
> >
> > I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> > having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> > more properly, being unable to view them inline.
> >
> > So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> attachment?).

I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
at some point.

> There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> how Mail.app sends attachments.

Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
attachment and some do not?

Isaac
0
isw (728)
7/20/2011 4:58:29 PM
In article
<lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
 Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> attachment?).  There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows
> perspective--about how Mail.app sends attachments.

  I have never (in the 5 yrs or so I owned a Mac and use the appropriate
version of Word) 1. Used send WFA, or 2. had anyone complain about it.

kurtullman (1679)
7/20/2011 5:38:19 PM
In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article
> <lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
>  Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <isw-4BA7F2.22475919072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
> >  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> > > I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> > > having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> > > more properly, being unable to view them inline.
> > >
> > > So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?
> > >
> > > Isaac
> >
> > I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> > Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> > is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> > Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> > attachment?).
>
> I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
> with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
> that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
> at some point.
>
> > There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> > how Mail.app sends attachments.
>
> Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
> attachment and some do not?
>
> Isaac

Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
corruption issues.
--
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
0

> In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
>> I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
>> with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
>> that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
>> at some point.
>>
>>> There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
>>> how Mail.app sends attachments.
>>
>> Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
>> attachment and some do not?
>>
>> Isaac
>
> Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
> corruption issues.

In my experience the peculiarity rests with (some) Windows users. (I'm one on
occasion, so I can say that :)

On more than one occasion I've had a Windows recipient claim not to have
gotten an attachment that I had sent. I resend it and they get it this time.
Then they, without any hint of sheepishness whatsoever, foolishly admit to
me, "Oh, it was there in the first message all along..."

--
Joe Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Among those whom I like or admire, I can find�no common denominator, but
among those�whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh.
�� �-- WH Auden

0
joe280 (27)
7/20/2011 9:11:07 PM
On 7/20/11 5:11 PM, Joe Dee wrote:

> In my experience the peculiarity rests with (some) Windows users. (I'm one on
> occasion, so I can say that :)
>
> On more than one occasion I've had a Windows recipient claim not to have
> gotten an attachment that I had sent. I resend it and they get it this time.
> Then they, without any hint of sheepishness whatsoever, foolishly admit to
> me, "Oh, it was there in the first message all along..."

I think Suze figured it out.  Looking back I always had problems
receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.
I never understood what Outlook & Exchange did with those attachments
because the same thing would happen to me when I sent files on occasion.

Exchange sucks.
0
Justin9 (261)
7/21/2011 1:25:20 AM
On 7/20/11 1:55 AM, David Empson wrote:
> Justin<Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu>  wrote:
>
>> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
>> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
>> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
>> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
>> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
>> complained so far about not being able to open anything.
>
> Files on the Mac can have a resource fork and other metadata such as a
> file type and creator, which ideally should be preserved when sending
> the file to another Mac.
>
> If the file has this extra data and is sent as an e-mail attachment, and
> you didn't check "Send Windows Friendly Attachments", then Mail sends
> TWO attachments for the file. One contains the data fork portion of the
> file, the other contains the resource fork and Mac-specific metadata.
>
> Windows e-mail clients (and users) can't handle this. They seem to end
> up trying to process the Mac resource data as if it was the real file,
> and complain about you having sent them a bogus file (when in fact their
> e-mail software wasn't intelligent enough to ignore the extra
> attachment, and they didn't try the other attachment).
>
> If you turn on that option, then the Mac resource fork and metadata are
> not sent, and everyone sees a single attachment. Mac users might end up
> with some information missing (e.g. custom icon in the resource fork),
> but you could avoid that sort of issue by zipping files before sending
> them to Mac users if you want to preserve Mac metadata.
>
> If the file doesn't have a resource fork in the first place, and isn't
> using Mac-specific metadata like a file type and creator, then the
> Windows-friendly option doesn't make any difference.

Ah ha...
If there's a resource fork, strip it when sending to Dozers.  Otherwise
it doesn't matter.
That makes sense, the files I usually send are Office files, JPGs and PDFs.
0
Justin9 (261)
7/21/2011 1:31:06 AM
On 07-20-2011 21:25, Justin wrote:
> I think Suze figured it out.  Looking back I always had problems
> receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
> and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.

I've never had any problem on Outlook and Exchange opening attachments
from anywhere.  Unless you count its asinine habit of including a couple
of zero-length attachments with funny names--which are NOT
Mac resource forks, and in fact sometimes are the only attachments.

--
Wes Groleau

   There are two types of people in the world …
   http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1157
0
news31 (6772)
7/21/2011 2:39:03 AM
 Suze <replytome@thenewsgroup.com> wrote:

> In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
> >  Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > > I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> > > Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> > > is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> > > Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> > > attachment?).
> >
> > I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
> > with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
> > that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
> > at some point.
> >
> > > There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> > > how Mail.app sends attachments.
> >
> > Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
> > attachment and some do not?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
> corruption issues.

Happens to some of my friends who use Webmail apps like Gmail, or Yahoo,
though ...

Isaac
0
isw (728)
7/21/2011 4:05:48 AM
In article
<replytome-BD2135.15194620072011@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Suze <replytome@thenewsgroup.com> wrote:

> In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
> >  Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > > I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> > > Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> > > is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> > > Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> > > attachment?).
> >
> > I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
> > with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
> > that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
> > at some point.
> >
> > > There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> > > how Mail.app sends attachments.
> >
> > Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
> > attachment and some do not?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
> corruption issues.

It's been a long time since I used Outlook, but

a) there were various versions of Outlook available, not all were equal
b) if an attachment didn't show up in the main message or inline I could
   usually get at it by some other means such as clicking on a button
   or a menu option.  I did need to know that an attachment was there,
   though.

--
Paul Sture
0
 Wes Groleau <Groleau+news@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 07-20-2011 21:25, Justin wrote:
> > I think Suze figured it out.  Looking back I always had problems
> > receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
> > and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.
>
> I've never had any problem on Outlook and Exchange opening attachments
> from anywhere.  Unless you count its asinine habit of including a couple
> of zero-length attachments with funny names--which are NOT
> Mac resource forks, and in fact sometimes are the only attachments.

I've also seen emails which have a duplicate of the message as an
attachment.

--
Paul Sture
0
On 2011-07-20 21:25 , Justin wrote:
> On 7/20/11 5:11 PM, Joe Dee wrote:
>>>

>> In my experience the peculiarity rests with (some) Windows users. (I'm
>> one on
>> occasion, so I can say that :)
>>
>> On more than one occasion I've had a Windows recipient claim not to have
>> gotten an attachment that I had sent. I resend it and they get it this
>> time.
>> Then they, without any hint of sheepishness whatsoever, foolishly
>> admit to
>> me, "Oh, it was there in the first message all along..."
>>

> I think Suze figured it out. Looking back I always had problems
> receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
> and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.
> I never understood what Outlook & Exchange did with those attachments
> because the same thing would happen to me when I sent files on occasion.
>
> Exchange sucks.

Not in my experience.  What sucks is the overly complex Outlook that can
lead users into bizarre set ups that lead to unintended (misunderstood
consequences).

To be sure, the easiest thing in the world is connecting an iPhone to an
enterprise Exchange server.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
0
On 11-07-19 10:47 PM, Justin wrote:
> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> complained so far about not being able to open anything.

There is a bug in many versions of Outhouse that requires some
particular characteristics of the MIME headers to be set for the little
paper clip thing to be shown indicating that a message has an attachment.

I can't remember the details, but I remember that a hack had to be added
to a number of mailers to mangle things in a way so that Microsoft
mailers would see them correctly.

Cheers,

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg          http://goldmark.org/jeff/
I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts

PHP for Windows
Is there any software to run PHP-based programs under Windows XP. I plan on temporarily relocating my web page to my Windows XP box, but I also run a bulletin board that needs PHP to run. Is there also a MySQL implementation for Windows XP, since phpBB also needs MySQL to run. As part of the "day of silience" on Internet Radio, I plan on temporarily relocating my web page to my PC, and then turning off IIS on my machine, and taking my web site dark as wll, but I need to have some implmentation of PHP and MySQL for my PC, first, so my BBS that I run as well will still be availab...

Start Button for Windows 8.1?
Gee, no one saw this coming ... Oh, wait a minute, we all did (except Microsoft, but they're clueless). ~~ Microsoft's Windows 8 Plan B(lue): Bring back the Start button, boot to desktop What if Microsoft relented and granted users who are lukewarm about Windows 8 two of their biggest requests: Allow those who want to boot straight to the desktop, and bring back the Start button with Windows Blue, a.k.a. Windows 8.1? Though supposedly not part of the original plan for Blue, these two UI options are looking more likely. Reports from a couple of different forums ...

CD Burning of Windows-based images...
Is there a way to burn Nero, CloneCD or other types of images with Linux? Thank you... -- Bonny - Registered Linux User #251752 --- VB LUG Moderator --- God invented women because sheep can't cook. "OxygeN" <bonnyfused@despammed.com> wrote in message news:20030721230901.00358afc.bonnyfused@despammed.com... | Is there a way to burn Nero, CloneCD or other types of images with | Linux? | | Thank you... | | -- | Bonny - Registered Linux User #251752 | --- VB LUG Moderator --- | God invented women because sheep can't cook. cdrecord ...

send mail in FMP with Exchange Server ?
Hi, For the Send Mail script in FileMaker vers. 9.0 , it works perfectly if my syst�me is win XP with the Outlook Express installed. And when I put this DB in a winXP with an account of Exchange Server, the Send Mail script doesn't work ! Is this normal or do I have to do something ? Thanks for your help Hi Eric, in FM 7 the problem is that there must be the email program be mentioned in the options of Internet Explorer (in our case). So we are working with Lotus Notes and by default the corresponding email program is outlook express. So open e.g. Internet Explorer then Tools /...

Re: Logging Attachments
> I need to log the sent attachments too. Is there a possibility to log > the attached files of an email with the common logline to syslog? > Or are there any other ways to get this done. > > It's because we have to do some forensics in company. It seems that > people are sending infected or confidential stuff, but we aren't able to > determine who did this. Sendmail operates on the SMTP layer, not the contents of the mail message. This being the case Sendmail will not even know that a given message has an attachment. Seeing as how Sendmail will not know tha...

Elman rolling or sliding window in time series forecasting
Dear all, There are two approaches in updating forecasting models over time: the rolling and moving(sliding) window. The rolling window approach uses all available data to train neural networks while the moving window approach uses a set of most recent observations to estimate the model. In summary: rolling window = new observations are added to the training database. (fixed starting point, sample size increases) moving window = add new observation, same time drops out the oldest observation. (fixed sample size). The question is How Matlab NEWELM function works with these different ap...

Send a SNMP Trap
hy, I'm using wengsoft snmp implementation to send a snmp trap. But the information sent by the trap isn't as I would expect. My code: static void sendTrap(String contextID, String contextName) throws java.io.IOException { // Create SNMP message object, it may contain one of the following // protocol data unit : GET, SET, TRAP, GET-NEXT. snmpMessage = new SnmpMessage(); // create a Set Protocol Data Unit. trapPdu = new SnmpGetSetPdu(); trapPdu.setMsgType(AsnObject.SNMPV2_TRAP); trapPdu.setReqId(1); snmpMessage.setPdu(trapPdu); snmpMessage.setSnmpVersion(3); ...

Sending out a probe
TCP-IP question: From the manual: " TCP keep alive (TCPKEEPALV) - Help Specifies the amount of time, in minutes, that TCP waits before sending out a probe to the other side of a connection. The probe is sent when the connection is otherwise idle, even when there is no data to be sent. " Because we have frequent disconnects on the Telnet sessions we have had a sniffer running on one of the PC's on which we expected the probe to come in. But we have never seen some kind of bit coming in from the AS400. Do we do something wrong or should we open some po...

Problems with send /delete command
I have Kermit running on Linux Release 9 and have the following lines in my script (This first logs me onto a remote server running Linux 7.3 and has Kermit): set host /pty ssh -e none l root xxx.xxx.xx.xxx if fail stop 1 minput 30 "password:" ">" if < \v(minput) 1 stop 1 "MINPUT = \v(minput)" switch \v(minput) { :1, echo PASSWORD INPUT OK lineout xxxxxxxxxx input 30 "#" if fail stop 1 PROMPT INPUT FAILED :2, echo PROMPT INPUT OK lineout "kermit -x" input 20 "KERMIT READY TO SERVE..." rcd...

Send mail
I want to send an email with attachment using mpack.(UNIX/LINUX/AIX). Is there a startup param like "mailx -r" where you can change the senders address? ...

sending eMail Attachment
Hy, does anybody know a simple, easy to use package to send a binary file as an eMail attachemt over the local unix/linux sendmail service. I want to write a procedure like: proc sendFileViaEmail {to subject text fileList} { # build whats neccessey in file ..... write_file file $emailbody #send exec cat file | sendmail -t } tx TAB Tillmann Basien wrote: > Hy, > does anybody know a simple, easy to use package to send a binary file as an > eMail attachemt over the local unix/linux sendmail service. > I want to write a procedure like: > > proc sendFil...

Windows PE and Python 2.6 (Side-by-Side error)
Hallo, I like Python 2.6 and I like to use it anywhere, even within Windows PE. In former version of Python (<= 2.5.x) it was easy to bring it to a Windows PE system: Install Python to Windows XP or Vista and (robo-) copy the whole directory off Python (and all sub directories) to the Windows PE system, adapt the path and it works. With Python 2.6 I receive errors in the kind of '''Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in "d:\4_debug\python26\PYTHON.EXE" contains errors. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incor...

Connecting to a Windows machine manually.
Hi people, I have a small network of machines. Among them is a Windows XP machine and my Apple iBook running Panther. I can share folders between the machines without problem. The issue is that the network browser in Panther sometimes seems really slow at realising the Windows XP machine is on the network. I can ping the XP machine but Finder won't see it. Eventually after much huffing and puffing the XP machine suddenly appears, and all is well again. How can I manually mount the XP machine, or force Finder to find it? Thanks in advance James. In article <bp...

Still having charset problems with Tomcat 5 on Windows
Hi, I'm back trying to sort out what happens to =A3 (UK currency symbol) in a JSP form running on Tomcat 5 under Windows. I have reduced the problem to a simple example, which I enclose below. If I enter =A3 in the textarea and submit the form, the =A3 gets prefixed with an accented A=2E The A also appears in the query string in the browser's address bar as %C2. However, if I save the source of the displayed JSP as an HTML file, submitting the form displays only the =A3 (%A3) in the query string. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. TIA Brian Here is the JSP: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBL...

Sending errors from psql to error file
Hello, I am trying to migrate a client from one database to another. Basically we designed a web application for them using Postgresql but we have made many changes to the design of our application since version 1. Now they want to upgrade. So basically I have to pg_dump their current data and then import it into our new schema. Now, of course I realize that there are going to be errors. But they have a lot and I mean a lot of data. I don't want to have to sit there and watch the import go by, I want to run a command and then look in a file for any errors after the import i...

Quick Poll: Windows pirates
So, how many of you Wintrolls have a clear conscience? In other words: how many of you have ONLY used software while FULLY abiding by the terms set in the End User License Agreement, a.k.a. EULA, for any particular package? I thought so. Richard Rasker -- http://www.linetec.nl On Sep 3, 7:50=A0pm, Richard Rasker <spamt...@linetec.nl> wrote: > So, how many of you Wintrolls have a clear conscience? In other words: ho= w > many of you have ONLY used software while FULLY abiding by the terms set = in > the End User License Agreement, a.k.a. EULA,...

US-TX-Austin: Configuration Eng., C/C++,windows,unix,clear case,GUI, command lin (45351157606)
US-TX-Austin: Configuration Eng., C/C++,windows,unix,clear case,GUI, command lin (45351157606) ============================================================================================== Position: Configuration Eng. Reference: ZYD00010 Location: Austin TX Duration: Skills: Design and develop advanced SCM system using Rational ClearCase UCM/Windows. Migrate the current (UCM) project repository to a new repository.Work with IT, the ClearCase server �owners�, to ensure our SCM needs are met. Customize Clea...

Filemaker Pro 6 Windows Plugin
G'day. The goal is to enable RealBasic to talk to Filemaker within a WinXP environment. Looking for someone to help create a Windows FMP 6 plugin. Currently just looking for a sample ''hello world' project framework that compiles with Visual Studio .net. If you know anyone that may be interested please pass this on. Thanks -- Keith Hutchison http://balance-infosystems.com http://realopen.org http://www.kasamba.com/Keith-Hutchison Contact Wim Decorte. Se his website at http://www.connectingdata.com/ Keith Hutchison wrote: > G'day. > > The goal is to enabl...

Re: multiple interactive windows on Unix?? #2
Lou , No problem when I get to work tomorrow I will double check the Exceed options we have running write something up. Me and another guy had to do about three days of internet searching off and on to figure it out. Basically you have to configer Exceed ( not SAS which is what most people try to do). Toby Dunn You can see a lot by just looking. ~Yogi Berra Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought. ~Matsuo Basho You never know what is enough, until you know what is more than enough. ~William Blake, Proverbs of Hell From: Lou <lpogodajr292185@C...

Problem sending faxes through VoIP
Hello every one! I have a problem sending faxes through VoIP This is what we have: PBX with VoIP Card --- Cisco --- E1 --- (Internet VPN) --- T1--- Cisco --- PBX The cisco router has activate the QoS, to priority the communication saving 512 kbps of bandwidth, for the matching VoIP ports. The voice and faxes work fine, but when the bandwidth is over use, the voice is not affected but the faxes can not communicate even when the QoS is saving bandwidth for them. I been trying with traffic-shape, fax passthrough , fax relay and other options, but no one fix the problem. I figure out that t...

how to send pick up the email address from a field in a .dbf & send emails thru outlook express....
hello all: i have a client.dbf with a field: CLIENTEMAIL when my main.exe prints reminder letters, i want my main.exe to open outlook express & pick up the email address from field:CLIENTEMAIL & ALSO attach the outstanding bills .pdf file (which would be already saved using pscript32) the email body should pick up the text saved in fields: remtxt1,remtxt2,remtxt3... (i.e: the reminder letter message) regards Hi I sugest to use hb_sendmail function to send the emails Regards Luiz Em sexta-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2015 06:21:08 UTC-2, timec...@gmail.com escreveu:...

Copy Window to Pixbuffer
I started playing around with Xlib just to learn the basic functions that toolkits like GTK and Qt provide. I can draw a window anywhere on the screen in any color with any border width and color, write text, draw lines, good times. Now I'm learning how to write handler functions for XEvents. I'm working on the Expose event right now. I've read that the best/fastest way is to copy a window to a pix buffer and then redraw directly from there. I'm still learning all the Xlib calls. Can anyone tell me how to grab the contents of a window? Do you grab text and icons ...

Tips to Speed up Your Windows 7 Experience
Windows 7 is great buy. "It=92s every feature is awe-inspiring," you have just read or heard this but cannot actually enjoy cool traits of the operating system, as an unawareness regarding latest functions is not letting you enjoy it, the way you want to. Now check cool tricks and tips, which would let you enjoy the best of Windows 7.http://www.pccare247.com 1. Keyboard Shortcuts - For a speedy deal while working on Windows 7, you can use following shortcuts. =95 Win+Left Arrow and Win+Right Arrow respectively dock the window to the left and right side of the screen =95 Win...

Perl CGI script to emulate a shell command line window
You have a Windows machine with a Perl interpreter (ActivePerl from ActiveState for example). You have FTP access to a Linux box with a Perl CGI script engine (typically, the box where your website is hosted) But you are very frustrated because you do not have a TELNET or a SSH access to this box, it would be much more easy to zip or untar your files... The solution we suggest you is to create two scripts, a CGI wich will run on the server and a Perl script that will run locally in a command line window. The local software will send commands to your CGI in an HTTP request, the CGI will interpr...

send
I set up a wireless network using a linksys 54g router, I have 5 desktops computer, and several Laptops being used at various times . I have assigned IP address to the desktop and the laptop obtain addresses automatically. All desktops are using XP, My problem have been in setting up a network workgroup, I have used the wizard , but still I can not share files. When I click on view network I see the workgroups, but when I click onto My network place I can not open files that have been shared. Also can any one tell me how to delete a network workgroup that has been setup. Thanks ...