Send Windows Friendly Attachment?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
complained so far about not being able to open anything.
0
Reply Justin9 (261) 7/20/2011 3:47:06 AM

See related articles to this posting

In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
 Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:

> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> complained so far about not being able to open anything.

I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
more properly, being unable to view them inline.

So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?

Isaac
0
Reply isw (728) 7/20/2011 5:47:59 AM

Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:

> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> complained so far about not being able to open anything.

Files on the Mac can have a resource fork and other metadata such as a
file type and creator, which ideally should be preserved when sending
the file to another Mac.

If the file has this extra data and is sent as an e-mail attachment, and
you didn't check "Send Windows Friendly Attachments", then Mail sends
TWO attachments for the file. One contains the data fork portion of the
file, the other contains the resource fork and Mac-specific metadata.

Windows e-mail clients (and users) can't handle this. They seem to end
up trying to process the Mac resource data as if it was the real file,
and complain about you having sent them a bogus file (when in fact their
e-mail software wasn't intelligent enough to ignore the extra
attachment, and they didn't try the other attachment).

If you turn on that option, then the Mac resource fork and metadata are
not sent, and everyone sees a single attachment. Mac users might end up
with some information missing (e.g. custom icon in the resource fork),
but you could avoid that sort of issue by zipping files before sending
them to Mac users if you want to preserve Mac metadata.

If the file doesn't have a resource fork in the first place, and isn't
using Mac-specific metadata like a file type and creator, then the
Windows-friendly option doesn't make any difference.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

In article <isw-4BA7F2.22475919072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
>  Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:
>
> > When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> > Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> > Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> > graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> > both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> > complained so far about not being able to open anything.
>
> I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> more properly, being unable to view them inline.
>
> So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?

It probably has something to do with stripping off the usual
resource fork that goes with Mac files and sending just the data
one.

--
dorayme
0

On 20/07/11 1:17 PM, Justin wrote:
> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently? I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option. None of them have complained
> so far about not being able to open anything.

Maybe it also adds an extension if the Mac file doesn't have one?
Windows doesn't know what to do with a file without an extension

John
0
Reply john943 (11) 7/20/2011 8:31:16 AM

 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
>  Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:
>
> > When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> > Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> > Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> > graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> > both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> > complained so far about not being able to open anything.
>
> I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> more properly, being unable to view them inline.
>
> So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?
>
> Isaac

I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
attachment?).  There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows
perspective--about how Mail.app sends attachments.
0
Reply lybanon (223) 7/20/2011 4:12:54 PM

In article
<lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
 Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <isw-4BA7F2.22475919072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
> >  Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> > > Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> > > Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> > > graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> > > both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> > > complained so far about not being able to open anything.
> >
> > I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> > having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> > more properly, being unable to view them inline.
> >
> > So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> attachment?).

I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
at some point.

> There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> how Mail.app sends attachments.

Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
attachment and some do not?

Isaac
0
Reply isw (728) 7/20/2011 4:58:29 PM

In article
<lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
 Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> attachment?).  There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows
> perspective--about how Mail.app sends attachments.

  I have never (in the 5 yrs or so I owned a Mac and use the appropriate
version of Word) 1. Used send WFA, or 2. had anyone complain about it.

Reply kurtullman (1679) 7/20/2011 5:38:19 PM

In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article
> <lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
>  Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <isw-4BA7F2.22475919072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
> >  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> > > I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> > > having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> > > more properly, being unable to view them inline.
> > >
> > > So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?
> > >
> > > Isaac
> >
> > I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> > Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> > is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> > Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> > attachment?).
>
> I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
> with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
> that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
> at some point.
>
> > There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> > how Mail.app sends attachments.
>
> Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
> attachment and some do not?
>
> Isaac

Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
corruption issues.
--
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
0

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:19:46 -0400, Suze wrote
(in article <replytome-BD2135.15194620072011@news.eternal-september.org>):

> In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
>> I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
>> with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
>> that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
>> at some point.
>>
>>> There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
>>> how Mail.app sends attachments.
>>
>> Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
>> attachment and some do not?
>>
>> Isaac
>
> Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
> corruption issues.

In my experience the peculiarity rests with (some) Windows users. (I'm one on
occasion, so I can say that :)

On more than one occasion I've had a Windows recipient claim not to have
gotten an attachment that I had sent. I resend it and they get it this time.
Then they, without any hint of sheepishness whatsoever, foolishly admit to
me, "Oh, it was there in the first message all along..."

--
Joe Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Among those whom I like or admire, I can find�no common denominator, but
among those�whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh.
�� �-- WH Auden

0
Reply joe280 (27) 7/20/2011 9:11:07 PM

On 7/20/11 5:11 PM, Joe Dee wrote:

> In my experience the peculiarity rests with (some) Windows users. (I'm one on
> occasion, so I can say that :)
>
> On more than one occasion I've had a Windows recipient claim not to have
> gotten an attachment that I had sent. I resend it and they get it this time.
> Then they, without any hint of sheepishness whatsoever, foolishly admit to
> me, "Oh, it was there in the first message all along..."

I think Suze figured it out.  Looking back I always had problems
receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.
I never understood what Outlook & Exchange did with those attachments
because the same thing would happen to me when I sent files on occasion.

Exchange sucks.
0
Reply Justin9 (261) 7/21/2011 1:25:20 AM

On 7/20/11 1:55 AM, David Empson wrote:
> Justin<Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu>  wrote:
>
>> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
>> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
>> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
>> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
>> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
>> complained so far about not being able to open anything.
>
> Files on the Mac can have a resource fork and other metadata such as a
> file type and creator, which ideally should be preserved when sending
> the file to another Mac.
>
> If the file has this extra data and is sent as an e-mail attachment, and
> you didn't check "Send Windows Friendly Attachments", then Mail sends
> TWO attachments for the file. One contains the data fork portion of the
> file, the other contains the resource fork and Mac-specific metadata.
>
> Windows e-mail clients (and users) can't handle this. They seem to end
> up trying to process the Mac resource data as if it was the real file,
> and complain about you having sent them a bogus file (when in fact their
> e-mail software wasn't intelligent enough to ignore the extra
> attachment, and they didn't try the other attachment).
>
> If you turn on that option, then the Mac resource fork and metadata are
> not sent, and everyone sees a single attachment. Mac users might end up
> with some information missing (e.g. custom icon in the resource fork),
> but you could avoid that sort of issue by zipping files before sending
> them to Mac users if you want to preserve Mac metadata.
>
> If the file doesn't have a resource fork in the first place, and isn't
> using Mac-specific metadata like a file type and creator, then the
> Windows-friendly option doesn't make any difference.

Ah ha...
If there's a resource fork, strip it when sending to Dozers.  Otherwise
it doesn't matter.
That makes sense, the files I usually send are Office files, JPGs and PDFs.
0
Reply Justin9 (261) 7/21/2011 1:31:06 AM

On 07-20-2011 21:25, Justin wrote:
> I think Suze figured it out.  Looking back I always had problems
> receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
> and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.

I've never had any problem on Outlook and Exchange opening attachments
from anywhere.  Unless you count its asinine habit of including a couple
of zero-length attachments with funny names--which are NOT
Mac resource forks, and in fact sometimes are the only attachments.

--
Wes Groleau

   There are two types of people in the world …
   http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1157
0
Reply news31 (6772) 7/21/2011 2:39:03 AM

 Suze <replytome@thenewsgroup.com> wrote:

> In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
> >  Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > > I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> > > Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> > > is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> > > Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> > > attachment?).
> >
> > I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
> > with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
> > that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
> > at some point.
> >
> > > There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> > > how Mail.app sends attachments.
> >
> > Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
> > attachment and some do not?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
> corruption issues.

Happens to some of my friends who use Webmail apps like Gmail, or Yahoo,
though ...

Isaac
0
Reply isw (728) 7/21/2011 4:05:48 AM

In article
<replytome-BD2135.15194620072011@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Suze <replytome@thenewsgroup.com> wrote:

> In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
> >  Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > > I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> > > Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> > > is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> > > Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> > > attachment?).
> >
> > I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
> > with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
> > that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
> > at some point.
> >
> > > There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> > > how Mail.app sends attachments.
> >
> > Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
> > attachment and some do not?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
> corruption issues.

It's been a long time since I used Outlook, but

a) there were various versions of Outlook available, not all were equal
b) if an attachment didn't show up in the main message or inline I could
   usually get at it by some other means such as clicking on a button
   or a menu option.  I did need to know that an attachment was there,
   though.

--
Paul Sture
0

In article <j083ga$lqn$1@dont-email.me>,
 Wes Groleau <Groleau+news@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 07-20-2011 21:25, Justin wrote:
> > I think Suze figured it out.  Looking back I always had problems
> > receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
> > and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.
>
> I've never had any problem on Outlook and Exchange opening attachments
> from anywhere.  Unless you count its asinine habit of including a couple
> of zero-length attachments with funny names--which are NOT
> Mac resource forks, and in fact sometimes are the only attachments.

I've also seen emails which have a duplicate of the message as an
attachment.

--
Paul Sture
0

On 2011-07-20 21:25 , Justin wrote:
> On 7/20/11 5:11 PM, Joe Dee wrote:
>>>

>> In my experience the peculiarity rests with (some) Windows users. (I'm
>> one on
>> occasion, so I can say that :)
>>
>> On more than one occasion I've had a Windows recipient claim not to have
>> gotten an attachment that I had sent. I resend it and they get it this
>> time.
>> Then they, without any hint of sheepishness whatsoever, foolishly
>> admit to
>> me, "Oh, it was there in the first message all along..."
>>

> I think Suze figured it out. Looking back I always had problems
> receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
> and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.
> I never understood what Outlook & Exchange did with those attachments
> because the same thing would happen to me when I sent files on occasion.
>
> Exchange sucks.

Not in my experience.  What sucks is the overly complex Outlook that can
lead users into bizarre set ups that lead to unintended (misunderstood
consequences).

To be sure, the easiest thing in the world is connecting an iPhone to an
enterprise Exchange server.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
0

On 11-07-19 10:47 PM, Justin wrote:
> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> complained so far about not being able to open anything.

There is a bug in many versions of Outhouse that requires some
particular characteristics of the MIME headers to be set for the little
paper clip thing to be shown indicating that a message has an attachment.

I can't remember the details, but I remember that a hack had to be added
to a number of mailers to mangle things in a way so that Microsoft
mailers would see them correctly.

Cheers,

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg          http://goldmark.org/jeff/
I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

in Apple mail, do you HAVE TO select checkbox 'Send Windows friendly attachments'
Ugh, i often forget to tick that check box. Is it essential to click it? What's the point? Does it actually use a different mechanism to attach, say, a PDF file? In article <0001HW.C589A0AE004DD92DB019F96F@news.motzarella.org>, Harry Solomon <harrysolomon@ymail.com> wrote: > Ugh, i often forget to tick that check box. Is it essential to click it? > What's the point? Does it actually use a different mechanism to attach, say, > a PDF file? No idea what it does, but when I forget to tick it, my Windows-luser correspondents still manage to see the files I&#...

Sending Attachments to Windows Users from Mail.app
I am having problems sending attachments to (some) Windows users from Mail.app. Usually the attachments are images, so let's restrict the discussion to them. Most people I send messages with image attachments to have no trouble. But occasionally someone says "There are no attachments" (so why is a message with only 3 lines of text 8.6 MB?). Other people can see the images, but they tell me things like (I'm copying and pasting from a message I just received) "Please send these to me at attachments rather in the body of the e-mail." Not only are...

sending text file as attachement to Windows (Outlook)
I would like to send a text file as an attachement to Windows outlook from tru64 Unix. # cat /tmp/file.txt | uuencode file.txt | mailx -s test someone@xzy.com This works, however when you view the file in notepad it doesn't look right. Can anyone help Regards M MB wrote: > I would like to send a text file as an attachement to Windows outlook from > tru64 Unix. > > # cat /tmp/file.txt | uuencode file.txt | mailx -s test someone@xzy.com > > This works, however when you view the file in notepad it doesn't look right. I guess the problem is th...

Attachment question
We just ran into a problem that occurs when a Mac Eudora user sends a message with attachments to a recipient who is using webmail from a Windows machine. The attachments are unreadable (for the most part). .pdf files seems to work OK, but Office documents don't (.doc, .xls and .ppt). This appears to be related to the way the attachments are encoded by Eudora. We've always told our Mac users to send using AppleDouble encoding and with the "Include Macintosh information" box _checked_. It appears that if the Mac user switches the encoding to BinHex and _un...

Using MIME::Lite in Windows to send email with a zip attachment
I'm not a hardcore perl master, and I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to send an email with a zip file attachment. The documentation was confusing and Google didn't help, so I'm posting this for the next guy. This worked using Windows 2000 Professional, ActiveState Perl v5.6.1, and MIME::Lite 3.01: require MIME::Lite; # # Set up a hash with all the arguments. You don't have # have to do it this way, but if you're writing reusable # code, you'll be glad you did. # my %args = ( From => "my...

FM 8.03 Windows get(documentsPath), Send Mail Attach problem
I have solved this, but I couldn't find any reports of the problem anywhere so I post this message to help others and to see if anyone else found it. I am starting to do some saving of records to PDF then sending the resulting file out as an email attachment. On Mac, of course, everything is fabulous. But for a windows user the file would be created in the desired directory just fine, but would not attach to the email in the Send Mail step. First I would save files to pdf using a $variable with the path constructed as follows: Get ( DocumentsPath ) & "attachments/Invoice #&quo...

Sending PhotoShop7 jpg attachments from Mac OSX to Windows or Mac OS 9 users
I am running Mac OSX.2, creating jpgs from psds in PhotoShop 7, and attaching them in emails to both PC & Mac OS 9-using clients, who are reporting having trouble opening them. I'm also exploring whether the problem might be with my email software (Entourage), but I thought I'd check with other PS 7 users running OS X.2, and see if anyone else has had this problem. I'd appreciate any help anyone could gve me on this. Steve For starters, make sure you only use a 3 letter suffix such as JPG, not JPEG, or TIF not TIFF. -- Ron. Steve Garvey <sgarvey@lava.net> wrote in ...

How to find the window who sends me a window-message?
Hi The project I am working on has several processes. And someone of them seems to send me WM_CLOSE when I am about to shutdown or logoff the session. Does someone know techniques to find the process or window who sends me a window-message? thanks! momonga wrote: > Hi > > The project I am working on has several processes. > And someone of them seems to send me WM_CLOSE when I am about to > shutdown or logoff the session. > Does someone know techniques to find the process or window who sends > me a window-message? > > thanks! Once the message...

toolbox option window attached to the toolbox window
Hi, unfortunately, I had to downgrade my Gimp from SVN to 2.7.0 since my GenToo system does not support glib-2.24.0, yet. Now, gimp 2.7.0 doesn't understand my session.rc file from the SVN-version. How can I set up Gimp such that the toolbox options window is directly attached to the toolbox window (i.e. not a separate window). Many thanks for a hint, Helmut. On May 13, 1:16=A0am, Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote: > Hi, > > unfortunately, I had to downgrade my Gimp from SVN to 2.7.0 > since my GenToo system does not support glib-2.24.0, yet. > ...

How do I send keystrokes to a console window in Windows XP?
How do I use Python to send keystrokes to a console window in Windows XP? Or perhaps there is an application that I can call to do this? Thank you for your help. GoogleGroups@garringer.net wrote: > How do I use Python to send keystrokes to a console window in Windows > XP? import win32com.client shell = win32com.client.Dispatch("WScript.Shell") shell.AppActivate("Command Prompt") shell.SendKeys("cls{ENTER}") shell.SendKeys("dir{ENTER}") shell.SendKeys("echo Hi There{ENTER}") -- Benji York Thank you, Benji. This gives me hope, but ...

XEmacs/Windows: sending Alt-tab to Windows
Hi, I've seen various posts that desparately want Alt-Tab to be reassigned to XEmacs under Windows... I need the opposite. I'm using XEmacs 21.4 in cygwin under Windows XP, and whether I like it or not, XEmacs grabs the Alt-Tab combination for its completion feature. I actually want to use that key to cycle between windows. Does anyone know how I can get XEmacs to let go of it? I've tried various global-unset-key and local-unset-key commands, and the best I can get is to a state where I hit alt-tab and XEmacs tells me that key isn't defined. Not any more useful, ...

Sending form info from popup window to original window

Re: How to send output in list window to log window?
Wensui, Use proc printto to redirect the output to a temp file, then read in it use data _null_, 'put' will dump everything to log window: Try the following tested code: filename temprnt "%sysfunc(pathname(WORK))/junk.txt"; proc printto print=temprnt; run; proc print data=sashelp.class; run; proc printto; run; data _null_; infile temprnt; input; put _infile_; run; Kind regards, Ya Huang On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:13:40 -0400, Wensui Liu <liuwensui@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Dear Listers, > >Is there any way to send the output, say proc freq, in list window to ...

Attachments are there but don't show in Attachment window
Quite without warning attachments to my emails no longer show in the attachment window under the attachment tab. The attachment window is completely blank. I had been using 4.12 when the problem happened. I installed 4.21c and it is the same. I know the attachments are there because if I save the email to a text file and use uudecode, I can extract the attachments just fine. It has to be that something changed in Pegasus settings because old email for which I could see the attachments when I first received them, now no longer show attachments. Any ideas? Keith google@the...

Send attachment
Is there a way to send an attachment by email, either in a SendObject or mailto hyperlink? What I want to send is an export file, SendObject doesn't allow me to apply my export spec to separators I need are not applied etc. -- Error reading sig - A)bort R)etry I)nfluence with large hammer ...

Windows attachments
What happens to make an attachment "windows friendly," i.e. How is the file converted? Ed Kearns Ed Kearns wrote: > What happens to make an attachment "windows friendly," i.e. How is the file > converted? > Resource forks are stripped and sent along as a separate attachment (if memory serves). I mentioned once that I though they base64 encoded attachments instead of the valid, but rarely supported, Mac encoded but I cannot find any actual proof of that. Google knows part of this story, anyway. In article <C211B10A.7CCB%kearnser@gmail.com>, Ed Kearn...

Sending To Windows
I have need to send a pdf file to Windows users from Mail.app but when it is received, it cannot be opened. There are two files instead of the one that I sent. One of the files is close to the size of the one that I sent. The other is much smaller. What's going on? How do I successfully send a file... in this case a pdf from my Mac to a Windows puter? Thanks, in advance to anyone who knows how to do this... Jim > There are two files instead of the one that I sent. Not a big deal. > One of the files is close to the size of the one that I > sent. The other is much smaller. ...

Sending attachements
How do I send a zip file with 4.30? People complaint that the files I'm suppoed to have attached to the emials aren't there. When I attach one and send it to myself, I get two messages, no matter if "Send attachments as separate messages" is checked or not. One message contain the text, the other only the text below, and no file: The following section of this message contains a file attachment prepared for transmission using the Internet MIME message format. If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any other MIME-compliant system, you should be able to save it or v...

Sending attachments
Which is the best format to send attachments with Eudora 6.2.4b5 Mac OSX? Some attachments like pdf's or images arrive sometimes corrupted by the receiver. Any comments? Thank you! Andrea <zh1844@gmail.com> wrote: > Which is the best format to send attachments with Eudora 6.2.4b5 Mac > OSX? Some attachments like pdf's or images arrive sometimes corrupted > by the receiver. If you encode them with AppleDouble, then whatever their format they should arrive okay. -- Peter ...

Sending attachments
I'm new to Pegasus (using 4.12) and have just realized that when I send attachments my 'outbox' holds the message and a file reference (but not the attachment itself). Is there any way to actually add the attachment to the e-mail so that the 'sent' version is properly attached (as per incoming attachments) and stored in the mailbox? I sometimes want to refer back quickly to what was actually sent - especially if versions of documents change. For reference, I have what I think are the default settings for handling attachments: The boxes ticked in the 'send...

[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Aiming to Become Windows-friendly/Gain Windows Compatibility

I try to use the Windows Net send function over cmd.exe, only 77chars possible to send?
See VI below (7.1). I only can send 77 characters, if entering more no message is send, even no error is given out! Someone an idea why?! &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Net_Send_Test.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/304759/1/Net_Send_Test.vi Hi AVR!, i can�t see the same behavior. But if i run your vi first it doesn�t work, so i have changed the red marked string constant (see the attachment). With this change a can send more than 77 characters. Mike Unbenannt.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/304887/1/Unbenannt.JPG ...

Friends: Newtown =?windows-1252?Q?Gunman=92s_Mother_Home-Sch?= =?windows-1252?Q?ooled_Son=2C_Kept_Arsenal_Of_Guns?=
<http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/16/friends-newtown-gunmans-mother-home-schooled-son-kept-arsenal-of-guns/> ...

I want to create a link "e-mail this page to a friend" on clicking this link i want to send the URL of that current page to a friend
hi all, I want to create a link "e-mail this page to a friend" on clicking this link i want to send the URL of that current page to a friend. What i mean is when i click the link another form should open and the form contains two text fields and a submit button. the first text field will be empty, where i will be entering the e-mail id of the person to whom i will be sending url of the page. second field contains url of the page. on clicking the submit button the url should be sent to the entered mail address. How can i do this using java...