Send Windows Friendly Attachment?

When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
complained so far about not being able to open anything.
0
Justin9 (261)
7/20/2011 3:47:06 AM
comp.sys.mac.system 33273 articles. 1 followers. jfmezei.spamnot (9469) is leader. Post Follow

In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
 Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:

> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> complained so far about not being able to open anything.

I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
more properly, being unable to view them inline.

So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?

Isaac
0
isw (728)
7/20/2011 5:47:59 AM
Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:

> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> complained so far about not being able to open anything.

Files on the Mac can have a resource fork and other metadata such as a
file type and creator, which ideally should be preserved when sending
the file to another Mac.

If the file has this extra data and is sent as an e-mail attachment, and
you didn't check "Send Windows Friendly Attachments", then Mail sends
TWO attachments for the file. One contains the data fork portion of the
file, the other contains the resource fork and Mac-specific metadata.

Windows e-mail clients (and users) can't handle this. They seem to end
up trying to process the Mac resource data as if it was the real file,
and complain about you having sent them a bogus file (when in fact their
e-mail software wasn't intelligent enough to ignore the extra
attachment, and they didn't try the other attachment).

If you turn on that option, then the Mac resource fork and metadata are
not sent, and everyone sees a single attachment. Mac users might end up
with some information missing (e.g. custom icon in the resource fork),
but you could avoid that sort of issue by zipping files before sending
them to Mac users if you want to preserve Mac metadata.

If the file doesn't have a resource fork in the first place, and isn't
using Mac-specific metadata like a file type and creator, then the
Windows-friendly option doesn't make any difference.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
>  Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:
>
> > When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> > Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> > Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> > graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> > both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> > complained so far about not being able to open anything.
>
> I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> more properly, being unable to view them inline.
>
> So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?

It probably has something to do with stripping off the usual
resource fork that goes with Mac files and sending just the data
one.

--
dorayme
0
On 20/07/11 1:17 PM, Justin wrote:
> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently? I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option. None of them have complained
> so far about not being able to open anything.

Maybe it also adds an extension if the Mac file doesn't have one?
Windows doesn't know what to do with a file without an extension

John
0
john943 (11)
7/20/2011 8:31:16 AM
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
>  Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:
>
> > When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> > Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> > Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> > graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> > both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> > complained so far about not being able to open anything.
>
> I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> more properly, being unable to view them inline.
>
> So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?
>
> Isaac

I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
attachment?).  There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows
perspective--about how Mail.app sends attachments.
0
lybanon (224)
7/20/2011 4:12:54 PM
In article
<lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
 Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <isw-4BA7F2.22475919072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <j05j3q$hq1$1@dont-email.me>,
> >  Justin <Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> > > Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> > > Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> > > graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> > > both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> > > complained so far about not being able to open anything.
> >
> > I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> > having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> > more properly, being unable to view them inline.
> >
> > So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> attachment?).

I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
at some point.

> There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> how Mail.app sends attachments.

Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
attachment and some do not?

Isaac
0
isw (728)
7/20/2011 4:58:29 PM
In article
<lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
 Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> attachment?).  There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows
> perspective--about how Mail.app sends attachments.

  I have never (in the 5 yrs or so I owned a Mac and use the appropriate
version of Word) 1. Used send WFA, or 2. had anyone complain about it.

kurtullman (1679)
7/20/2011 5:38:19 PM
In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article
> <lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
>  Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <isw-4BA7F2.22475919072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
> >  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> > > I'm curious too. In fact, I have had problems with Windows denizens
> > > having trouble opening attachments on messages originated in Mail -- or
> > > more properly, being unable to view them inline.
> > >
> > > So, what is it that makes an attachment "Windows Friendly"?
> > >
> > > Isaac
> >
> > I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> > Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> > is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> > Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> > attachment?).
>
> I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
> with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
> that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
> at some point.
>
> > There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> > how Mail.app sends attachments.
>
> Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
> attachment and some do not?
>
> Isaac

Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
corruption issues.
--
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
0

> In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
>> I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
>> with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
>> that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
>> at some point.
>>
>>> There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
>>> how Mail.app sends attachments.
>>
>> Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
>> attachment and some do not?
>>
>> Isaac
>
> Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
> corruption issues.

In my experience the peculiarity rests with (some) Windows users. (I'm one on
occasion, so I can say that :)

On more than one occasion I've had a Windows recipient claim not to have
gotten an attachment that I had sent. I resend it and they get it this time.
Then they, without any hint of sheepishness whatsoever, foolishly admit to
me, "Oh, it was there in the first message all along..."

--
Joe Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Among those whom I like or admire, I can find�no common denominator, but
among those�whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh.
�� �-- WH Auden

0
joe280 (27)
7/20/2011 9:11:07 PM
On 7/20/11 5:11 PM, Joe Dee wrote:

> In my experience the peculiarity rests with (some) Windows users. (I'm one on
> occasion, so I can say that :)
>
> On more than one occasion I've had a Windows recipient claim not to have
> gotten an attachment that I had sent. I resend it and they get it this time.
> Then they, without any hint of sheepishness whatsoever, foolishly admit to
> me, "Oh, it was there in the first message all along..."

I think Suze figured it out.  Looking back I always had problems
receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.
I never understood what Outlook & Exchange did with those attachments
because the same thing would happen to me when I sent files on occasion.

Exchange sucks.
0
Justin9 (261)
7/21/2011 1:25:20 AM
On 7/20/11 1:55 AM, David Empson wrote:
> Justin<Justin@nobecauseihatespam.edu>  wrote:
>
>> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
>> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
>> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
>> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
>> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
>> complained so far about not being able to open anything.
>
> Files on the Mac can have a resource fork and other metadata such as a
> file type and creator, which ideally should be preserved when sending
> the file to another Mac.
>
> If the file has this extra data and is sent as an e-mail attachment, and
> you didn't check "Send Windows Friendly Attachments", then Mail sends
> TWO attachments for the file. One contains the data fork portion of the
> file, the other contains the resource fork and Mac-specific metadata.
>
> Windows e-mail clients (and users) can't handle this. They seem to end
> up trying to process the Mac resource data as if it was the real file,
> and complain about you having sent them a bogus file (when in fact their
> e-mail software wasn't intelligent enough to ignore the extra
> attachment, and they didn't try the other attachment).
>
> If you turn on that option, then the Mac resource fork and metadata are
> not sent, and everyone sees a single attachment. Mac users might end up
> with some information missing (e.g. custom icon in the resource fork),
> but you could avoid that sort of issue by zipping files before sending
> them to Mac users if you want to preserve Mac metadata.
>
> If the file doesn't have a resource fork in the first place, and isn't
> using Mac-specific metadata like a file type and creator, then the
> Windows-friendly option doesn't make any difference.

Ah ha...
If there's a resource fork, strip it when sending to Dozers.  Otherwise
it doesn't matter.
That makes sense, the files I usually send are Office files, JPGs and PDFs.
0
Justin9 (261)
7/21/2011 1:31:06 AM
On 07-20-2011 21:25, Justin wrote:
> I think Suze figured it out.  Looking back I always had problems
> receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
> and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.

I've never had any problem on Outlook and Exchange opening attachments
from anywhere.  Unless you count its asinine habit of including a couple
of zero-length attachments with funny names--which are NOT
Mac resource forks, and in fact sometimes are the only attachments.

--
Wes Groleau

   There are two types of people in the world …
   http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1157
0
news31 (6772)
7/21/2011 2:39:03 AM
 Suze <replytome@thenewsgroup.com> wrote:

> In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
> >  Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > > I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> > > Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> > > is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> > > Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> > > attachment?).
> >
> > I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
> > with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
> > that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
> > at some point.
> >
> > > There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> > > how Mail.app sends attachments.
> >
> > Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
> > attachment and some do not?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
> corruption issues.

Happens to some of my friends who use Webmail apps like Gmail, or Yahoo,
though ...

Isaac
0
isw (728)
7/21/2011 4:05:48 AM
In article
<replytome-BD2135.15194620072011@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Suze <replytome@thenewsgroup.com> wrote:

> In article <isw-3AE7A2.09582920072011@[216.168.3.50]>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <lybanon-C01F8D.11125420072011@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
> >  Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > > I have "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" checked, and still some
> > > Windows users tell me that "There is no attachment" when obviously there
> > > is (Why is a message with a few lines of text 800K, and why do other
> > > Windows users sent the identical message at the same time see the
> > > attachment?).
> >
> > I've had situations where Windows users replied to my original message
> > with "What attachment?", but there it is, right in their reply. At least
> > that seems to prove that the attachment wasn't actually getting removed
> > at some point.
> >
> > > There must be some peculiarity--from a Windows perspective--about
> > > how Mail.app sends attachments.
> >
> > Or maybe it's just a peculiarity of Windows, since some users get the
> > attachment and some do not?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> Or maybe it's that crappy windows Outlook email program that has
> corruption issues.

It's been a long time since I used Outlook, but

a) there were various versions of Outlook available, not all were equal
b) if an attachment didn't show up in the main message or inline I could
   usually get at it by some other means such as clicking on a button
   or a menu option.  I did need to know that an attachment was there,
   though.

--
Paul Sture
0
 Wes Groleau <Groleau+news@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 07-20-2011 21:25, Justin wrote:
> > I think Suze figured it out.  Looking back I always had problems
> > receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
> > and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.
>
> I've never had any problem on Outlook and Exchange opening attachments
> from anywhere.  Unless you count its asinine habit of including a couple
> of zero-length attachments with funny names--which are NOT
> Mac resource forks, and in fact sometimes are the only attachments.

I've also seen emails which have a duplicate of the message as an
attachment.

--
Paul Sture
0
On 2011-07-20 21:25 , Justin wrote:
> On 7/20/11 5:11 PM, Joe Dee wrote:
>>>

>> In my experience the peculiarity rests with (some) Windows users. (I'm
>> one on
>> occasion, so I can say that :)
>>
>> On more than one occasion I've had a Windows recipient claim not to have
>> gotten an attachment that I had sent. I resend it and they get it this
>> time.
>> Then they, without any hint of sheepishness whatsoever, foolishly
>> admit to
>> me, "Oh, it was there in the first message all along..."
>>

> I think Suze figured it out. Looking back I always had problems
> receiving attachments from people at my last job, where we used Outlook
> and Microsoft Exchange - even though the sender was NOT on a Mac.
> I never understood what Outlook & Exchange did with those attachments
> because the same thing would happen to me when I sent files on occasion.
>
> Exchange sucks.

Not in my experience.  What sucks is the overly complex Outlook that can
lead users into bizarre set ups that lead to unintended (misunderstood
consequences).

To be sure, the easiest thing in the world is connecting an iPhone to an
enterprise Exchange server.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
0
On 11-07-19 10:47 PM, Justin wrote:
> When I select an attachment in Mail, what does the "Send Windows
> Friendly Attachment" checkbox actually do?
> Is it encoded differently?  I have send all sorts of files, from
> graphics, to Presentations to people on every platform (including Linux)
> both with and without checking that option.  None of them have
> complained so far about not being able to open anything.

There is a bug in many versions of Outhouse that requires some
particular characteristics of the MIME headers to be set for the little
paper clip thing to be shown indicating that a message has an attachment.

I can't remember the details, but I remember that a hack had to be added
to a number of mailers to mangle things in a way so that Microsoft
mailers would see them correctly.

Cheers,

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg          http://goldmark.org/jeff/
I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts

MAC sends double attachments
Hi! I have a strange problem... When MAC clients send an e-mail with certain types of attachments, they arrive twice(the right file and a smaller one that is not openable). Better, if i send DOC, PLN, BMP files it happens. If i send DWG, XLS, PDF files all works correctly, only the right file is sent. Any ideas ? ? ? Thank you in advance!!! Mark ...

Printing to printer attached to Windows system
Please direct me to advice on printing to a W2k system with an Epson Stylus printer attached, over the network. KDE is 3.2.2 hosted on FreeBS 4.10 (four point ten) Thanks in advance. Michael Green wrote: > Please direct me to advice on printing to a W2k system with an Epson > Stylus printer attached, over the network. KDE is 3.2.2 hosted on > FreeBS 4.10 (four point ten) > > Thanks in advance. Look into samba. -- DEGRADATION, n. One of the stages of moral and social progress from private station to political preferment. --- from The Devil's Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce Michael Green wrote: > Thanks in advance. While there are very good stylus drivers under Linux, I've found a last resort (assuming you haven't gotten it working yet) is to * print to PDF under KDE * ftp or samba-share the file over to the Windows system * open the PDF on the Windows system and print to the Epson printer This way I can trivially use the standard Windows driver. I'll frequently run VNC Server on the Windows box, VNC into it from my Linux system, and open the PDF and print that way. It's pretty foolproof, IMO. Krishna Sethuraman krishgoo@wapacut.com ...

Running X windowing system on Mac
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3166440513_1071842 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Hi, I am running the X-windows app on my mac (PB G4 running Panther) and was wondering where one goes to change the default shell for a given user. Thanks in advance --B_3166440513_1071842 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Running X window...

Sending Attachments to Windows Users from Mail.app
I am having problems sending attachments to (some) Windows users from Mail.app. Usually the attachments are images, so let's restrict the discussion to them. Most people I send messages with image attachments to have no trouble. But occasionally someone says "There are no attachments" (so why is a message with only 3 lines of text 8.6 MB?). Other people can see the images, but they tell me things like (I'm copying and pasting from a message I just received) "Please send these to me at attachments rather in the body of the e-mail." Not only are they attachments, but I have specified: Edit/Attachments/Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments and Edit/Attachments/Always Insert Attachments at End of Message Is there anything more I can do? I am running Mail version 4.5 under Mac OS X 10.6.8 (though I've had this problem using earlier versions). In article <lybanon-916AB4.15441816072012@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>, Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote: > I am having problems sending attachments to (some) Windows users from > Mail.app. Usually the attachments are images, so let's restrict the > discussion to them. > > Most people I send messages with image attachments to have no trouble. > But occasionally someone says "There are no attachments" (so why is a > message with only 3 lines of text 8.6 MB?). Other people can see the ...

Mac running Windows XP operating system
Hackers have managed to get Microsoft's Windows XP operating system running on an Apple Mac computer. The success ends a competition started to see if the feat was even possible when Apple unveiled computers that used Intel chips. The pair who managed the feat won $13,854 (=A37,895) in prize money for their trouble. The software used to put Windows on the Mac is now being circulated so others can try to replicate the success. Full article=20 http://technology-post.com/tech/?p=3D340 Hi! > Hackers have managed to get Microsoft's Windows XP operating system > running on an Apple Mac computer. What a harsh word.. Hackers ;-)) > http://technology-post.com/tech/?p=340 Thanks for sharing! Now, is this something Apple intended/anticipated to happen? I guess so, if it was *that* easy, than it was not an accident. I mean, if you remove something major from the mainboard, that a PC expects to be there, but another system can manage without, you would have prohibited this from happening. How about a different system timer chip? How does this connect with making OS-X run on Intel PCs? What do you think? Cheers, B. "Boris Harss" <b0ris@harss-accurso.de> wrote in message news:dvhhk9$8l9$1@online.de... > Hi! > >> Hackers have managed to get Microsoft's Windows XP operating system >> running on an Apple Mac computer. > > What a harsh word.. Hackers ;-)) > >> http://technology-post.com/tech/?p=...

Filter attachments
I'm still using Eudora 5.2.x for Win. In flipping through the on-line tutorials for the current Win & Mac versions I see that the current Mac version allows users to create a filter that in addition to transfering a message to a different mailbox, it can also move attachments, (it's located in the Filter Actions drop-down just below the "Transfer To" action and is called "Move Attachements", eg. when I get a message from Bill Transfer the message to the mailbox 'Bill" and Move any attachments Bill sends to the user directory "Bill" Skip Next Does anyone have any idea WHY Eudora does not have this feature in the Windows version? ...

Sharing (OS9) MAC printer on a Windows XP system?
This has probably been discussed before but Googling has failed to show me the answer... I have a MAC running OS 9.2.2 with and Epson 740 printer connected via USB. My daughter has a PC running Windows XP also connected on our home network via a Linksys router. Is there any hope of setting these systems up so that she will be able to see and print to the MAC's printer? (either by mere settings or via some other software package? On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:29:27 -0400, junktin wrote (in article <bX14d.106487$XP3.60316@edtnps84>): > This has probably been discussed before but Googling has failed to show > me the answer... > > I have a MAC running OS 9.2.2 with and Epson 740 printer connected via USB. > > My daughter has a PC running Windows XP also connected on our home > network via a Linksys router. > > Is there any hope of setting these systems up so that she will be able > to see and print to the MAC's printer? (either by mere settings or via > some other software package? > You'll need a 3rd party package such as DAVE. -- We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant. Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to our own. Bend over right now. Resistance is futile. In article <bX14d.106487$XP3.60316@edtnps84>, junktin <junktin@telus.net> wrote: > This has probably been discussed before but Googling has failed to show > me...

System-wide ErgoEmacs Keybinding for Windows, Mac, Bash
new code. =E2=80=A2 System-wide ErgoEmacs Keybinding for Windows, Mac, Bash http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding_system-wide.html plain text version follows -------------------------------------------------- System-wide ErgoEmacs Keybinding for Windows, Mac, Bash Xah Lee, 2010-08-22 This page lists several utilities that let you use the ErgoEmacs Keybinding system-wide. Windows For Windows, just download the following executables. ErgoEmacs_keybinding_Windows_dvorak.exe ErgoEmacs_keybinding_Windows_qwerty.exe If you prefer to tweak the keybinding yourself, you'll nee...

[News] Windows-Friendly Alternative Operating Systems Get Adopted
Windows-Friendly Macs To Boost Apple: Report ,----[ Quote ] | Apple's Boot Camp software, which enables Windows software to run on | Mac computers, should positively impact Mac market share as early as | the third quarter of this year, according to a new Piper Jaffray | research report. `---- http://www.forbes.com/2006/07/10/apple-computer-0710markets07.html?partner=yahootix Same can be said about virtualisation in Linux, as well as Wine, CrossOver Office, Win4Lin, etc. ...

Using MIME::Lite in Windows to send email with a zip attachment
I'm not a hardcore perl master, and I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to send an email with a zip file attachment. The documentation was confusing and Google didn't help, so I'm posting this for the next guy. This worked using Windows 2000 Professional, ActiveState Perl v5.6.1, and MIME::Lite 3.01: require MIME::Lite; # # Set up a hash with all the arguments. You don't have # have to do it this way, but if you're writing reusable # code, you'll be glad you did. # my %args = ( From => "myAccount\@mySite.com", To => "yourAccount\@yourSite.com", Subject => "Some droll subject", BodyType => "TEXT", Message => "Some pithy message", AttachType => "application/zip", AttachEncoding => "base64", AttachFullpath => "D:\\the\\fullpath\\To\\MyFile.zip", AttachFilename => "MyNewFileName.zip", Server => "my.mail.server.com" ); # # Create the main body # my $mime_msg = MIME::Lite->new( From => $args{From}, To => $args{To}, Subject => $ar...

Interesting Twist in the Windows vs Linux vs Mac school systems.
I posted a message a while ago concerning the local school which was installing state of the art computer systems. I can't find the message, but it concerned the school board, consultants and an insider's look at why Windows was chosen... What I didn't mention, I don't think, was that this was a couple of years ago, like maybe 3 or so. The choice was Windows, and Windows based Thinkpads for the kids 4-12 grade. Well, the school has now dumped the Windows Thinkpads and all children will be getting MacBooks. The reasons? Reliability and ongoing "maintenance costs". That is the company line..... word for word. The savings will be over $150k per year. Thinkpads are seriously well built units so I really doubt the kids were physically destroying them so I have to assume it is nasty stuff that was infecting the systems, despite them being heavily locked down. Kids couldn't even change the display properties for example. You can toss a Thinkpad across the room, have your friend miss the catch and assuming the floor isn't concrete, the chances are it will not even suffer a scratch. They are built like tanks. I am going to do more research on this but I just found this interesting. I am curious as to why Linux was not implemented but I suspect it has to do with the high tech white board and multimedia software that I don't think Linux has alternatives for. For example, kids can answer questions on the "white board" by typing...

FTP from AS400 System to Windows System
How to get a Physical file as it is for populating into a excel file, without using i series (plugins, navigators)? On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:05:55 AM UTC-5, Muthukumar Kailasam wrote: > How to get a Physical file as it is for populating into a excel file, without using i series (plugins, navigators)? you can use ODBC to query then populate an excel spreadsheet. Make sure iSeries ODBC was installed on the client and it should be pretty straight forward. To keep users from messing up queries (which they will), use stored procedures or Query manager to run the query to an o...

Matlab on Intel Mac
Hi, With the Intel macs, one can run Mac and Windows simultaneously by using either "parallels" or "crossover". In such a case, would anyone know if it would be better to install Matlab under Windows or Mac X11? Thanks. Suresh "Suresh Narayanan" <sureshn@aps.anl.gov> wrote in message news:ef5acf5.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > Hi, > > With the Intel macs, one can run Mac and Windows simultaneously by > using either "parallels" or "crossover". In such a case, would anyone > know if it would be better to install Matlab under Windows or Mac > X11? > > Thanks. > > Suresh I read here that if one buy a copy of Matlab for one platform, then they can get a free copy of Matlab for another platform. So if you have intel mac allready, you can order a free Matlab copy for the other platform, and check it out. Next version of mac OS (leopard) will have build into it the ability to switch between mac and windows without rebooting (i.e hit one key on the keyboard, and you'll be in windows, hit the key again, and you'll go back to mac OS) Nasser Abbasi wrote: > > > > "Suresh Narayanan" <sureshn@aps.anl.gov> wrote in message > news:ef5acf5.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... >> Hi, >> >> With the Intel macs, one can run Mac and Windows simultaneously > by >> using either "parallels" or "crossover". In such a case...

How to find the window who sends me a window-message?
Hi The project I am working on has several processes. And someone of them seems to send me WM_CLOSE when I am about to shutdown or logoff the session. Does someone know techniques to find the process or window who sends me a window-message? thanks! momonga wrote: > Hi > > The project I am working on has several processes. > And someone of them seems to send me WM_CLOSE when I am about to > shutdown or logoff the session. > Does someone know techniques to find the process or window who sends > me a window-message? > > thanks! Once the message...

Windows
OK - I know how to get the text/title of the windows on a local system by using the window handle. What I want to do is to get the text/ title of the windows on a remote system. Enumerating the window handles will of course not work remotely, I know that. Does anyone know anything short of a client/server setup that *will* work? Everything would be Windows 2003 server, and I can assume that I have administrative rights to all affected machines. Any ideas? Well, i guess you will need a process on each machine you need to monitor, and then you do have a client server setup. This can be ea...

Mac + iPhone: sending SMS from Mac
Yosemite is supposed to bridge the SMS gap if one has an iPhone. Does=20 this require a particular model of iPhone? Will an iPhone 4 do? --=20 << Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable than =93carrying [the children] to fruition.=94 Sadly, =93there=92s a high infant mortality rate among Broad Outlines=97they often fall prey to Nonstarters.=94 >> "Bestiary of Intelligence Writing" - CIA On 2014-11-22, Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote: > > Yosemite is supposed to bridge...

Windows Command Window
Hi, I'm in the process of developing a script in Windows where I need to use exec/system. Whenever I execute either, Windows spawns a command window which automatically disappears. Is there a clean way to force Windows to NOT display the command window? I've seen this discussed a few times previously, but, none of the solutions seem to be working (tried both exec and system; tried using cmd /c, tried using start /B, etc.) Thanks. ...

anybody please send me a copy of "netpbm-10.6-1-bin.zip" for GNUWIN32 on Windows system?
Dear all, I want to install Latex2html, but today the "netpbm-10.6-1-bin.zip" could not be download from sourceforge website. I don't know why... I tried many times but failed. Without that file the Latex2html does not install. Can anybody send me a copy of that file? Thanks a lot, -Walala ...

How do I send keystrokes to a console window in Windows XP?
How do I use Python to send keystrokes to a console window in Windows XP? Or perhaps there is an application that I can call to do this? Thank you for your help. GoogleGroups@garringer.net wrote: > How do I use Python to send keystrokes to a console window in Windows > XP? import win32com.client shell = win32com.client.Dispatch("WScript.Shell") shell.AppActivate("Command Prompt") shell.SendKeys("cls{ENTER}") shell.SendKeys("dir{ENTER}") shell.SendKeys("echo Hi There{ENTER}") -- Benji York Thank you, Benji. This gives me hope, but ...

Looking for used MAC system to learn MACs
Hello, I am looking for recommendations for a used MAC system that I can use to learn MACs. I have used Unix and Linux for the past 20 years, but I'd like to understand a little more about how they work. I have been looking at some used G4 and G5 systems, but not sure if these will be lame ducks. I would like to kick around at the prompt level to see how different it is from a normal Unix system , but I'd like to learn some of the apps and gui stuff too so I don't look like an idiot to friends. Any recommendations or help is welcomed. Thanks. Snoopy. In article <de47faa0-31c3-4c8f-b428-58cac4c0b3d6@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, <"snoopy_@excite.com"> wrote: > Hello, > I am looking for recommendations for a used MAC system that I can > use to learn MACs. I have used Unix and Linux for the past 20 years, > but I'd like to understand a little more about how they work. I have > been looking at some used G4 and G5 systems, but not sure if these > will be lame ducks. I would like to kick around at the prompt level > to see how different it is from a normal Unix system , but I'd like to > learn some of the apps and gui stuff too so I don't look like an idiot > to friends. Any recommendations or help is welcomed. Thanks. i'd suggest a refurbished intel based mac mini to get your feet wet. apple has them from time to time for as little as $400ish. despite nearly all software being univer...

System requirements for Windows XP operating systems
These are the minimum requirements for basic functionality. Actual requirements vary, depending on the system configuration and the programs and features that you choose to install. If you are installing Windows XP over a network, you may need additional available hard-disk space. The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are: � Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended) � At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended) � At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk � CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive � Keyboard...

toolbox option window attached to the toolbox window
Hi, unfortunately, I had to downgrade my Gimp from SVN to 2.7.0 since my GenToo system does not support glib-2.24.0, yet. Now, gimp 2.7.0 doesn't understand my session.rc file from the SVN-version. How can I set up Gimp such that the toolbox options window is directly attached to the toolbox window (i.e. not a separate window). Many thanks for a hint, Helmut. On May 13, 1:16=A0am, Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote: > Hi, > > unfortunately, I had to downgrade my Gimp from SVN to 2.7.0 > since my GenToo system does not support glib-2.24.0, yet. > ...

Re: How to send output in list window to log window?
Wensui, Use proc printto to redirect the output to a temp file, then read in it use data _null_, 'put' will dump everything to log window: Try the following tested code: filename temprnt "%sysfunc(pathname(WORK))/junk.txt"; proc printto print=temprnt; run; proc print data=sashelp.class; run; proc printto; run; data _null_; infile temprnt; input; put _infile_; run; Kind regards, Ya Huang On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:13:40 -0400, Wensui Liu <liuwensui@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Dear Listers, > >Is there any way to send the output, say proc freq, in list window to ...

Mail .Mac cannot send mail via smtp mac
I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found without any problem I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, what could be wrong ? thanks joss In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found > without any problem > > I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, > what could be wrong ? > > thanks > > joss Without more detail, it's only a guess...but perhaps your provider is blocking port 25. It's probably a good idea to switch to the "submission port" instead. I don't use Apple's Mail program for my .Mac account and don't know just now where to go there for setting this, but it's an automatic option I use with Eudora. You should also turn on the encryption settings for better security. = Steve = -- Steve W. Jackson Montgomery, Alabama On 2007-10-11 18:07:53 +0200, "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjackson@knology.net> said: > In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, > Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > >> I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found >> without any problem >> >> I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, >> what could be wrong ? >> >...

Web resources about - Send Windows Friendly Attachment? - comp.sys.mac.system

Attachment in adults - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attachment in adults deals with the theory of attachment in adult romantic relationships. Attachment theory was extended to adult romantic relationships ...

Facebook Allowing Page Admins To ‘Refresh Share Attachment?’
Facebook appears to have given page administrators the option of refreshing links that they share in posts on their pages . continued... New ...

Chronik-Fotos - Mama Bean - Unconditional Attachment - Facebook
Graphic design students at the University of North Texas asked this inspiring mama, Monica, to be the face of their ad campaign. The campaign ...

New Facebook Messages Only Provides an Online Attachment Viewing Feature for Microsoft Docs
In another move highlighting Facebook’s strategic relationship with investor Microsoft, the company has given the established office software ...

Documents.me - Documents from remote PC, MAC, Gmail attachments, Google Drive & Dropbox Docsync for iPad ...
Get Documents.me - Documents from remote PC, MAC, Gmail attachments, Google Drive & Dropbox Docsync on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, ...

A bullet attachment that could save lives? - YouTube
It looks like a toy attachment for a gun, but this new device is intended to give suspects a chance to live if shot. CNN's Sara Sidner reports. ...

Invention of the Day: New ‘Alternative’ Gun Attachment May Prevent Shooting Deaths
The Ferguson Police Department is testing out a new device which they think might help prevent unnecessary shooting deaths. “The Alternative” ...

100th anniversary of Anzac landings brings home strong attachments
The commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Anzac landings draws our attention to events that so many of us have a strong attachment to. ...

iPhones - Is Our Attachment To Smartphones A Bad Thing?
They cater to our basic human hunger for connection, so is our attachment to mobiles such a bad thing?

Apple not encrypting email attachments in iOS 7, security researcher claims
Apple's Mail app in iOS 7 is failing to encrypt email attachments, leaving user data vulnerable to hackers, a security researcher claims.