Time Machine/Time Capsule help?

Since I have a Time Capsule, why is Time Machine cluttering my hard
drive with what ought to be the same info and keeping me from installing
something new?

I can't see any way to access Time Capsule except via Time Machine, and
I'm about ready to give up on backup if it's only going to  block me
from adding anything new on the laptop.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

0
drache2 (369)

In article <drache-CF7F3F.11003613092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> Since I have a Time Capsule, why is Time Machine cluttering my hard
> drive with what ought to be the same info and keeping me from installing
> something new?
>
> I can't see any way to access Time Capsule except via Time Machine, and
> I'm about ready to give up on backup if it's only going to  block me
> from adding anything new on the laptop.

Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
a backup disk.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
 Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> > Since I have a Time Capsule, why is Time Machine cluttering my hard
> > drive with what ought to be the same info and keeping me from
> > installing something new?
> >
> > I can't see any way to access Time Capsule except via Time Machine,
> > and I'm about ready to give up on backup if it's only going to  block
> > me from adding anything new on the laptop.
>
> Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
> it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
> a backup disk.

Sorry, but that's not quite the case here.  In the case of laptops, Time
Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and then
when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive, and
erases it from the boot drive.

It shouldn't prevent the installation of new stuff on the laptop unless the
laptop's drive is very close to full to begin with.

--
I am Woman; watch me vote!
0
In article <barmar-E25F31.12095913092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <drache-CF7F3F.11003613092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Since I have a Time Capsule, why is Time Machine cluttering my hard
> > drive with what ought to be the same info and keeping me from installing
> > something new?
> >
> > I can't see any way to access Time Capsule except via Time Machine, and
> > I'm about ready to give up on backup if it's only going to  block me
> > from adding anything new on the laptop.
>
> Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
> it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
> a backup disk.

Will it keep backing up to the Time Capsule?  I can't find that as an
option, but TC has stuff on it.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

0
drache2 (369)
9/13/2012 4:57:05 PM
In article <michelle-AF695A.09525713092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <barmar-E25F31.12095913092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > > Since I have a Time Capsule, why is Time Machine cluttering my hard
> > > drive with what ought to be the same info and keeping me from
> > > installing something new?
> > >
> > > I can't see any way to access Time Capsule except via Time Machine,
> > > and I'm about ready to give up on backup if it's only going to  block
> > > me from adding anything new on the laptop.
> >
> > Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
> > it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
> > a backup disk.
>
> Sorry, but that's not quite the case here.  In the case of laptops, Time
> Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
> connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and then
> when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive, and
> erases it from the boot drive.
>
> It shouldn't prevent the installation of new stuff on the laptop unless the
> laptop's drive is very close to full to begin with.

The laptop wasn't almost full before TM, however.  TM seems to be
telling me it's backing up ON the laptop.  The thing is running
constantly and I can't find a way to tell it not to do that.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

0
drache2 (369)
9/13/2012 4:59:26 PM
In article <drache-3C3ABF.11592613092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <michelle-AF695A.09525713092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> > > Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
> > > it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
> > > a backup disk.
> >
> > Sorry, but that's not quite the case here.  In the case of laptops, Time
> > Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
> > connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and then
> > when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive, and
> > erases it from the boot drive.
> >
> > It shouldn't prevent the installation of new stuff on the laptop unless the
> > laptop's drive is very close to full to begin with.
>
> The laptop wasn't almost full before TM, however.  TM seems to be
> telling me it's backing up ON the laptop.  The thing is running
> constantly and I can't find a way to tell it not to do that.

You can disable local Time Machine backups with this terminal command:

     sudo tmutil disablelocal

To re-enable local Time Machine backups, you'd use this command:

     sudo tmutil enablelocal

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)
9/13/2012 11:15:41 PM
Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <barmar-E25F31.12095913092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > > Since I have a Time Capsule, why is Time Machine cluttering my hard
> > > drive with what ought to be the same info and keeping me from
> > > installing something new?
> > >
> > > I can't see any way to access Time Capsule except via Time Machine,
> > > and I'm about ready to give up on backup if it's only going to  block
> > > me from adding anything new on the laptop.
> >
> > Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
> > it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
> > a backup disk.
>
> Sorry, but that's not quite the case here.  In the case of laptops, Time
> Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
> connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and then
> when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive, and
> erases it from the boot drive.

That's what I thought too, but it does not agree with my observations.
There is no evidence of backups being transferred to the external drive:
I have gaps in my history corresponding to when I was not connected to
that drive, but I did have local backups covering that gap for about a
day afterwards.

It also looks like local backups take place whether or not the external
drive is connected, but TM is more aggressive about deleting older local
backups when the external backup drive is available.

The key point is that the total space used by local backups is
deliberately limited to a moderate portion of the free space, and if you
start to fill up the free space, TM will start to delete the older local
backups to keep its backups in proportion. It dynamically adapts to
changes in free space.

> It shouldn't prevent the installation of new stuff on the laptop unless the
> laptop's drive is very close to full to begin with.

If the drive was very close to full then TM wouldn't be storing local
backups at all.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
In article <barmar-E25F31.12095913092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <drache-CF7F3F.11003613092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Since I have a Time Capsule, why is Time Machine cluttering my hard
> > drive with what ought to be the same info and keeping me from installing
> > something new?
> >
> > I can't see any way to access Time Capsule except via Time Machine, and
> > I'm about ready to give up on backup if it's only going to  block me
> > from adding anything new on the laptop.
>
> Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
> it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
> a backup disk.

That's the only drive in there. Time Capsule isn't.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

0
drache2 (369)
9/14/2012 3:10:47 PM
In article <michelle-AF695A.09525713092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <barmar-E25F31.12095913092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > > Since I have a Time Capsule, why is Time Machine cluttering my hard
> > > drive with what ought to be the same info and keeping me from
> > > installing something new?
> > >
> > > I can't see any way to access Time Capsule except via Time Machine,
> > > and I'm about ready to give up on backup if it's only going to  block
> > > me from adding anything new on the laptop.
> >
> > Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
> > it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
> > a backup disk.
>
> Sorry, but that's not quite the case here.  In the case of laptops, Time
> Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
> connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and then
> when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive, and
> erases it from the boot drive.
>
> It shouldn't prevent the installation of new stuff on the laptop unless the
> laptop's drive is very close to full to begin with.

It's connected all the time.  I did empty my rather full Trash and get
some space, but there's no way I can add up contents to get close to the
figure the laptop tells me is in use.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

0
drache2 (369)
9/14/2012 3:12:53 PM
In article <jollyroger-416783.16154013092012@news.individual.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <drache-3C3ABF.11592613092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <michelle-AF695A.09525713092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> > > Sorry, but that's not quite the case here.  In the case of laptops, Time
> > > Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
> > > connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and
> > > then
> > > when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive,
> > > and
> > > erases it from the boot drive.
> > >
> > > It shouldn't prevent the installation of new stuff on the laptop unless
> > > the
> > > laptop's drive is very close to full to begin with.
> >
> > The laptop wasn't almost full before TM, however.  TM seems to be
> > telling me it's backing up ON the laptop.  The thing is running
> > constantly and I can't find a way to tell it not to do that.
>
> You can disable local Time Machine backups with this terminal command:
>
>      sudo tmutil disablelocal
>
> To re-enable local Time Machine backups, you'd use this command:
>
>      sudo tmutil enablelocal

OK, what's a terminal command?   I'm having a terminology failure 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

0
drache2 (369)
9/14/2012 3:15:10 PM
In article <drache-FDA032.10151014092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-416783.16154013092012@news.individual.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <drache-3C3ABF.11592613092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> > > The laptop wasn't almost full before TM, however.  TM seems to be
> > > telling me it's backing up ON the laptop.  The thing is running
> > > constantly and I can't find a way to tell it not to do that.
> >
> > You can disable local Time Machine backups with this terminal command:
> >
> >      sudo tmutil disablelocal
> >
> > To re-enable local Time Machine backups, you'd use this command:
> >
> >      sudo tmutil enablelocal
>
> OK, what's a terminal command?   I'm having a terminology failure 8-)

You open the "Terminal" utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) and
type the command.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
barmar (6125)
9/14/2012 10:36:54 PM
In article <barmar-A79E53.18365414092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <drache-FDA032.10151014092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <jollyroger-416783.16154013092012@news.individual.net>,
> >  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > > You can disable local Time Machine backups with this terminal command:
> > >
> > >      sudo tmutil disablelocal
> > >
> > > To re-enable local Time Machine backups, you'd use this command:
> > >
> > >      sudo tmutil enablelocal
> >
> > OK, what's a terminal command?   I'm having a terminology failure 8-)
>
> You open the "Terminal" utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) and
> type the command.

You will have to be logged in to an administrator account and supply the
administrator's password when prompted by the "sudo" command.

--
PRAY, v.  To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
In article <barmar-A79E53.18365414092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <drache-FDA032.10151014092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <jollyroger-416783.16154013092012@news.individual.net>,
> >  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> > > You can disable local Time Machine backups with this terminal command:
> > >
> > >      sudo tmutil disablelocal
> > >
> > > To re-enable local Time Machine backups, you'd use this command:
> > >
> > >      sudo tmutil enablelocal
> >
> > OK, what's a terminal command?   I'm having a terminology failure 8-)
>
> You open the "Terminal" utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) and
> type the command.

Aha!    Meanwhile I seem to have made it stop for a while, but it's
always nice to add to my education 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

0
drache2 (369)
9/15/2012 12:33:23 AM
In article <tom_stiller-F23211.18573214092012@news.individual.net>,
 Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <barmar-A79E53.18365414092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > In article <drache-FDA032.10151014092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <jollyroger-416783.16154013092012@news.individual.net>,
> > >  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> > >

> [snip]

> > > OK, what's a terminal command?   I'm having a terminology failure 8-)
> >
> > You open the "Terminal" utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) and
> > type the command.
>
> You will have to be logged in to an administrator account and supply the
> administrator's password when prompted by the "sudo" command.

Well, I can find it, but whether I have the password listed where I can
find THAT may be another matter.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

0
drache2 (369)
9/15/2012 12:34:21 AM
In article <drache-329700.19342114092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <tom_stiller-F23211.18573214092012@news.individual.net>,
>  Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <barmar-A79E53.18365414092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> > [snip]

> > > You open the "Terminal" utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) and
> > > type the command.
> >
> > You will have to be logged in to an administrator account and supply the
> > administrator's password when prompted by the "sudo" command.
>
> Well, I can find it, but whether I have the password listed where I can
> find THAT may be another matter.

If you can't find the login ID and password for an administrator
account, local Time Machine backups are the least or your worries.

--
PRAY, v.  To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
0
tom_stiller (1288)
9/15/2012 1:29:23 AM
In article <tom_stiller-0201EC.21292314092012@news.individual.net>,
Tom Stiller  <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:

>If you can't find the login ID and password for an administrator
>account, local Time Machine backups are the least or your worries.

Indeed. Good luck on updating apps or installing security updates.
(I know that apps can be installed in a user's home directory, but
usually you want them in the top-level applications folder.)

Patty

0
patty12 (564)

Time Machine stalls with Time Capsule
Since this morning, whenever Time Machine performs its backup to my Time Capsule, it stalls on me so I've been forced to stop it. Could it be a bad block? If so, how should I take care of it> FWIW, I've tried to use Disk Utility on it but it keeps does a Not Responding. I did find the following on Apple's Support, but it doesn't help since Disk Utility goes into Not Responding as I indicated already. <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/26840.html> -- Remove blown from email address to reply. In article <tkettler-30A014.11020809062011@ne...

time.clock() or time.time()
What's the difference between time.clock() and time.time() (and please don't say clock() is the CPU clock and time() is the actual time because that doesn't help me at all :) I'm trying to benchmark some function calls for Zope project and when I use t0=time.clock(); foo(); print time.clock()-t0 I get much smaller values than when I use time.clock() (most of them 0.0 but some 0.01) When I use time.time() I get values like 0.0133562088013, 0.00669002532959 etc. To me it looks like time.time() gives a better measure (at least from a statistical practical point of view). peterbe@gmail.com wrote: > What's the difference between time.clock() and time.time() > (and please don't say clock() is the CPU clock and time() is the actual > time because that doesn't help me at all :) > > I'm trying to benchmark some function calls for Zope project and when I > use t0=time.clock(); foo(); print time.clock()-t0 > I get much smaller values than when I use time.clock() (most of them > 0.0 but some 0.01) > When I use time.time() I get values like 0.0133562088013, > 0.00669002532959 etc. > To me it looks like time.time() gives a better measure (at least from a > statistical practical point of view). time.time() is very likely what you want. time.time() measures real time, while time.clock() measures the time the CPU dedicates to your program. For example, if your function spends 2 seconds doing pure I/O and 3 seconds do...

time.time or time.clock
I'm having some cross platform issues with timing loops. It seems time.time is better for some computers/platforms and time.clock others, but it's not always clear which, so I came up with the following to try to determine which. import time # Determine if time.time is better than time.clock # The one with better resolution should be lower. if time.clock() - time.clock() < time.time() - time.time(): clock = time.clock else: clock = time.time Will this work most of the time, or is there something better? Ron On Jan 14, 7:05 am, Ron Ad...

time.time()
am I doing this wrong: print (time.time() / 60) / 60 #time.time has been running for many hours if time.time() was (21600/60) then that would equal 360/60 which would be 6, but I'm not getting 6 so I'm not doing the division right, any tips? On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:01:40 -0500, Bart Nessux <bart_nessux@hotmail.com> wrote: >am I doing this wrong: > >print (time.time() / 60) / 60 #time.time has been running for many hours > >if time.time() was (21600/60) then that would equal 360/60 which would >be 6, but I'm not getting 6 so I'm not doing the divisi...

Is time.time() < time.time() always true?
So, I was blazin' some mad chronix, as they say, and got on to thinking about Python. The question was, is the statement: time.time() < time.time() always true? Seems it should be false, since the statement itself occurs at one time instant.. but of course we know that python doesn't execute code that way.. So my question is, why doesn't Python work this way? (PS, I wasn't smoking anything, its a figure of speech :) ) On 21 Nov 2006 15:10:25 -0800, flamesrock <flamesrock@gmail.com> wrote: > So, I was blazin' some mad chronix, as they say, and got on to th...

RE: Is time.time() < time.time() always true?
Chris Mellon wrote: > On 21 Nov 2006 15:10:25 -0800, flamesrock <flamesrock@gmail.com> > wrote:=20 >> So, I was blazin' some mad chronix, as they say, and got on to >> thinking about Python.=20 >>=20 >> The question was, is the statement: >>=20 >> time.time() < time.time() >>=20 >> always true? Seems it should be false, since the statement itself >> occurs at one time instant.. but of course we know that python >> doesn't execute code that way.. So my question is, why doesn't >> Python work this way?=...

time in milliseconds by calling time.time()
I am trying to measure some system response time by using the time.time () or time.clock() in my script. However, the numbers I get are in 10s of milliseconds. For example, 1248481670.34 #from time.time() 0.08 #from time.clock() That won't work for me, since the response time may be only a few milliseconds. My environment is Solaris 10 with Python 2.4.4 (#7, Feb 9 2007, 22:10:21). SunOS 5.10 Generic_137112-07 i86pc i386 i86pc The tricky thing is, if I run the python interpreter and import the time module, I can get a time floating number in better precision by cal...

time delay and non time delay part extraction of a MIMO time delay system
given MATLAB representation of a MIMO system with time delay, how the delay part and non-delay part can be extracted separately from it? ...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) ...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/lin...

Lauching images from time to time, help
Hello, everybody! I am doing a volunteer work for estimulating senses. The basic idea is: the user enters a interval and from time to time an image or sound is launched at the monitor. The goal is to evaluate their ability to understand, recognize, and react to some stimuli. If anybody could send me any sample of code to help me i will very appreciate it. thanks in advance! regards Leonardo "Quem espera sempre alcanca, se trabalha enquanto espera" ...

system time and SP switch time?
I've managed to get into the state where the nodes of my SP all agree on the time, it's just that it's about 15 minutes behind the real time! Fixing it isn't difficult but I have a slight fear that if I do then the next time I need to reboot the machines the switches (I have three) might get a bit upset about having a different time than the nodes. (I'm not that sure if switches know the time but they have something called a clock and it's pretty critical.) Am I safe to change the system time? Will my SP still boot?? Thanks John John Rowe wrote: > I've manag...

time.time() under load between two machines
I am working on some code using python and a distributed system. Some particular message is sent on one machine (with a timestamp logged) and after the message is received, a timestamp is made. I am having problems with negative latencies happening under intense CPU load. There is ntp sync happening so the machines should be very well in sync. Example: machine1 ---- sendTime = time.time() <Call to send message> machine2 --- <Got a message> recvTime = time.time() Latency = recvTime-sendTime is NEGATIVE Is it possible that the CPU load is affecting the accuracy of the time.t...

Time Shifting, time scaling.... help!!!
%% t = -10 : 0.001 : 10; x = 0.*(t<-2) + (-4-(2.*t)).*(t>=-2 & t<0) + (-4+(3.*t)).*(t>=0 & t<4) + (16-(2.*t)).*(t>=4 & t<8) + 2.*(t>=8); hold on plot(t, x, 'r') plot(t+1, x.*3, 'c') plot(4.*t, x./2, '--m') plot((t-1)./2, -2.*x, ':b') grid on hold off %% I have to plot 3x(t +1), (1/2) x(4t), -2x((t-1)/2) Amplitude and Time scaling is correct (do tell me if anything is wrong) here but Time scaling is always wrong. Could you help me in plotting with correct time scaling ? I wish to know if there is shorter wa...

Comparing File Time and System Time
Hi, I want to compare the last accessed time of a file with the current system time and if it is greater than 10 days performe some action. FILETIME lpCreationTime; FILETIME lpLastAccessTime; FILETIME lpLastWriteTime; GetFileTime( hFile, &lpCreationTime, &lpLastAccessTime, &lpLastWriteTime ); There seems to be a million and one ways to do this could someone advise me the best way or a good way. Hi, Use the following API's to compare between two files times: FindFirstFile() GetFileTime() FileTimeToLocalFileTime() GetSystemTime() FindClose(...

System time vs. Software time
We are an ASP. On our system, we have multiple companies running all on one partition. There is a piece of software from a third party that resets the time for a particular user based on what time zone they are physically located. This piece of software is failing because of some bug in the license code, so we were trying to mock up something that changes the system time for the user and saving us a support call. The time offset comes from a data area. So, use gettimeofday(), add to tv_sec the offset and then set with settimeofday(). This is setting a clock but not the one we want. Anybody have a guess as to how this third party software is working? We don't want to set the global system time, obviously. I'll attach a C program I wrote. It works, but not the way we want. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdarg.h> #include <string.h> #include <qwcrdtaa.h> #include <qusec.h> #include <sys/time.h> #include <time.h> #include <qezsndmg.h> #define SWAP_CHAR( x, y ) {char c; c = x; x = y; y = c;} typedef struct { Qwc_Rdtaa_Data_Returned_t q; _Decimal(6,0) dec; } my_QWCRDTAA; typedef struct { Qus_EC_t ec_fields; char Exception_Data[100]; } error_code_t; error_code_t error_code; void SendMsg(char *usr, char *msg_text); void SendMsgf(char *usr, char *fmt, ...); void reverse(char t[]) { int i,j; for (i = 0, j = strlen(t) - 1; i < j; i++, j--) { SWAP_CHAR(...

Discrete time to continous time system
Hi, I have a z-transform equivalent filter transfer function: H(z)= a + bz^-2 + cz^-4 ------------------------------------------------------------- 1+dw(n)z^-1+(gw^2(n)+g')z^-2 + kw(n)z^-3+mz^-4 I would like to convert it into continuous time H(s). I tried using d2c function, but could'nt figure out on how to include the symbolic constants. Can anybody help me out. I have seen a similar thread for converting continuous time to discrete time http://www.mathworks.cn/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/142133 . In my case i would like to convert form discr...

iPhone time vs. Mac time
My iPhone is consistently 18 seconds ahead of both my Mac. Why? In article <doug-C1F85B.19042914072010@news.astraweb.com>, Doug Jantzer <doug@gmail.com.invalid> wrote: > My iPhone is consistently 18 seconds ahead of both my Mac. > > Why? Just a guess -- your iPhone gets its time from AT&T, and your Macs probably use the Apple Time Server. Why there would be that much difference I don't know. krishnananda <krishna@divine-life.in.invalid> wrote: > In article <doug-C1F85B.19042914072010@news.astraweb.com>, > Doug Jantzer &l...

Time Machine Help
After buying a new hard-drive for backup, I took the old back-up volume off line. 20 days later the new hard-drive failed. I took it back to the store and got a refund. I put the old back-up drive back on line. That hard drive is called "Curly". I attempted to reconfigure Time-Machine to use Curly again. It gives me this error: You do not have appropriate access privileges to save file ".001124d894b4c" in folder "Curly". To view or change access privileges, select the item in finider and choose Find > Get Info. I've looked at the privliges o...

delta time = time stop
I'm using Python to parse a bunch of s/w test files and make csv files for later report generation by MS ACCESS....(my boss loves the quick turn-around compared to C). Each log file may contain one or more 'sessions', and each session may contain one or more 'nodes'. Each session in the log has an ASCII start and stop time, as does each node. I have the basic parse part done for parameters, errors, etc., but noticed my routine for determining how long each session/node took (delta time) was a bit repetitive, so decided to make a 'stand-alone' routine to handle th...

Files are being stamped with a future time to the system time
I appear to have an intermittent problem on my computer that causes the files to be time stamped a couple of minutes into the future: echo hello >/tmp/hello date stat -c %y /tmp/hello Wed Apr 4 19:17:50 BST 2007 2007-04-04 19:19:14.884890560 +0100 What could be causing this? Is there a bug in the system somewhere? I am using Debian Sarge, and a local ext2 filesystem. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Mark. -- Mark Hobley 393 Quinton Road West QUINTON Birmingham B32 1QE Telephone: (0121) 247 1596 International: 0044 121 247 1596 Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donott...

wall time is less than user+sys time. why?
hi, I am attempting to profile my multi-threaded application by measuring the wall time (via gettimeofday())) and user+system time (via getrusage ()) on a Linux (2.6.18)/SLES10/x86-64 machine. something like this (pseudo code): ------------------- int main (void) { gettimeofday(&tstart, NULL); getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, &rstart); do_task_involving_multiple_threads(); gettimeofday(&tend, NULL); getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, &rend); // wall time print_time_diff(tstart, tend); // user time (time spent in userspace) print_time_diff(rstart.ru_utime, rend.ru_utime); /...

Re: Need help with a time time lag.
I am a relative novice to labview and have a problem. I have two waveforms being aquired; one from a flow sensor the other form a gas analyser. There is a small delay between the flow signal relative to the analyser (due to the transit time of the gas to the analyser). What I want to do is compensate for this lime lag and then plot the corrected waveform to plot an XY graph. This is essentialy a phase delay that needs to be compensated for. Can anyone help me solve my problem. Cheers Virgil. ...

Setting Start Time for Time Machine Backups
What I would like is to be able to set the exact time at which the hourly Time Machine backups take place. For example, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00..... The reason for this is that there is a conflict between SuperDuper! and Time Machine if Time Machine is running when a scheduled SuperDuper! backup initiates, the result being a failure of the SuperDuper! backup. This happens if borth the Time Machine and SuperDuper! backups are to a Time Capsule. So what I want to do is to make sure that Time Machine is not running at the time a SuperDuper! backup initiates. Many thanks in advance...

Web resources about - Time Machine/Time Capsule help? - comp.sys.mac.system

Machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A machine is a tool containing one or more parts that uses energy to perform an intended action. Machines are usually powered by mechanical, ...

Snapchat's money machine looks a lot like Facebook in the early days
Snapchat expects to ring up between $300 million and $350 million in revenue this year, according to a report in Re/code. That's a nice haul ...

Man vs machine: Who will win? - Business Insider Deutschland
Demis Hassabis is pitting his algorithm against world Go champion Lee Sedol.

Review: Azure Machine Learning is for pros only
Microsoft’s machine learning cloud has the right stuff for data science experts, but not for noobs

Review: Azure Machine Learning is for pros only
Machine learning is an obvious complement to a cloud service that also handles big data. Often the major reason to collect massive amounts of ...

Copy Machine Translates Text While Duplicating
Xerox's next-gen service for old-school paper lists 44 supported languages, including country-specific dialects.

ICYMI: Space junk reboot, biological machine v2 and more
Today on In Case You Missed It: NASA thinks it can extend the life of even dead satellites orbiting Earth with a new solution from the agency ...

HPE Launches On-Demand Machine Learning-as-a-Service
'We refer to this as 'augmented human intelligence,' so they can generate applications and build these features into their products.'

Machines Will Never Replace Men
A couple of recent news stories and the responses they have generated got me thinking once again about the slippery slope fallacy, whereby an ...

The Blind Spot For Man-Machine Collaboration
... the transition from the agricultural to the industrial age. Please take or send this survey to businesses comtemplating or using smart machines ...