USB 2.0 printers and USB 1.0/1.1 computers

I need a new printer, being fed up with the POS Epson 740 I have now.
I was considering an HP LaserJet 1012, but noticed it has a USB 2.0
port only.  I've got a Rev B iMac with USB 1.0 or maybe (but I doubt
it) USB 1.1.  I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0
peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers.  Since
you all are a well-informed bunch, I figured someone here would know.

Thanks!
0
timmcn (2339)

> I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0
>peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers.  Since
>you all are a well-informed bunch, I figured someone here would know.

They are; a USB2 device should work with a USB1 machinie, though (of course)
only at USB1 speed.

--
Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

0
tacitr (1750)
11/21/2003 7:15:15 PM
tacitr@aol.com (Tacit) writes:

> >I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 peripherals
> >are backwards-compatible to older USB computers.  Since you all are
> >a well-informed bunch, I figured someone here would know.
>
> They are; a USB2 device should work with a USB1 machinie, though (of
> course) only at USB1 speed.

Ah.  Well, for a printer the transfer speed is not much of an issue.
Thanks!
0
timmcn (2339)