USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0

Recently; i found myself over at Best Buy and Found a Toshiba Hard Drive,=
=20
1 Tb for $99 and i thought; 'That is too good to be true.'
 and also; Toshiba ??? Would they betray me ?

So i bought it.

And i did get it to work a little bit, which would suggest that the USB 3.0=
 cable that came with it, Would work with my MacBook and its USB 2.0 Vulvas=
,=20
but it didn't work very well. The Plug was 'Wiggly' And the Cable that came=
 with it was like 4 inches long, and it is Very Difficult to find an Extens=
ion Cable for this sort of thing. i wanted to just drop by a store and get =
one, but i had to buy one on the Interweb, from Amazon, and the Shortest th=
ey had was for 276 Feet.=20
Or so.

Also; This Wiggliness that i spoke of, The HardDrive wouldn't 'Connect' Pro=
perly, and by this, i mean that the little light on the Hard Drive would no=
t come on, Unless i pressed down ( Gently ) on the USB 3.0 Plug.=20

All i wanted was a slightly longer cable.

So the Plug for it was Wiggly Too!

And the Hard Drive did not work well,=20
i wanted to Partition it, because i had heard or read that i had to partiti=
on it to get it to load The Start Up Disk and Then Re-Boot my MacBook from =
it, Which i now suspect, may not be correct ( ? )

But anyways; While trying to Partition the Hard Drive, it somehow Broke.
i seemed to have done it once, then when i decided to eliminate one of the =
Partitioned Zones, it Slowed Way, Way down, and then stopped working.
When it was Working, and i managed to load some files onto it,=20
It was Very Slow then too.

i have another External HardDrive 750 Gb, and it is pretty fast, so that's =
what i was expecting.

And then i Returned it to Best Buy for a Refund. The Sales Guy tried to Con=
vince me that it was Bad Unit, but i would prefer to think that it was a Sh=
oddy piece of Merchandise or there was something 'Incompatible' about it ?

So:=20
Two questions :
One : How do i Use an External Hard-drive as a StartUp Disk.=20
That is : How do i load the Start Up Disk to the Hard Drive.
And what do i have to do when restarting the MacBook so that it will Recogn=
ize that as the Startup Source Thingy.

Two : Is there something 'Funny' About The USB 3.0 Plugs which really do ma=
ke them 'Not Exactly' Compatible with The USB 2.0 Plugs.
i have had lots & lots of Devices which use the USB 2.0 plugs, and have nev=
er encountered anything like this ?

Thanx!

In article <74e27243-2e5b-4478-a9ac-f347066461a8@googlegroups.com>, The
Translucent Amoebae <thetranslucentamoebae@gmail.com> wrote:

> So:
> Two questions :
> One : How do i Use an External Hard-drive as a StartUp Disk.
> That is : How do i load the Start Up Disk to the Hard Drive.

install os x on it, either directly from the installer or by cloning an
existing drive. be sure it's formatted with guid partitioning.

> And what do i have to do when restarting the MacBook so that it will
> Recognize that as the Startup Source Thingy.

hold down the option key when booting to choose which drive to use, or
go to system preferences and click on startup disk to permanently
change it.

> Two : Is there something 'Funny' About The USB 3.0 Plugs which really do make
> them 'Not Exactly' Compatible with The USB 2.0 Plugs.
> i have had lots & lots of Devices which use the USB 2.0 plugs, and have never encountered anything like this ?

there shouldn't be.
0
nospam59 (11089)
3/29/2013 8:51:05 PM
In article <74e27243-2e5b-4478-a9ac-f347066461a8@googlegroups.com>,
 The Translucent Amoebae <thetranslucentamoebae@gmail.com> wrote:

> Two questions :
> One : How do i Use an External Hard-drive as a StartUp Disk.
> That is : How do i load the Start Up Disk to the Hard Drive.
> And what do i have to do when restarting the MacBook so that it will
> Recognize that as the Startup Source Thingy.

Just go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and choose the volume you
want.

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)
3/29/2013 8:51:46 PM
On 3/29/13 4:45 PM, The Translucent Amoebae wrote:

> Two questions :
> One : How do i Use an External Hard-drive as a StartUp Disk.
> That is : How do i load the Start Up Disk to the Hard Drive.
> And what do i have to do when restarting the MacBook so that it will Recognize that as the Startup Source Thingy.
>
> Two : Is there something 'Funny' About The USB 3.0 Plugs which really do make them 'Not Exactly' Compatible with The USB 2.0 Plugs.
> i have had lots & lots of Devices which use the USB 2.0 plugs, and have never encountered anything like this ?
>
> Thanx!

One: With Tiger, I used Superduper! to clone my internal disk to an
external disk.  I think that will work with newer versions of OS X.  (As
Time Machine will let me start from the Recovery volume on my external
drive, I no longer have an external startup disk.)

Two: The plugs are supposed to be compatible.  Others have complained
about unreliable connections with the plug on a Toshiba 1TB USB 3.0
disk.  It's also possible that USB 2.0 won't supply enough current to
run that disk reliably.
0
burns4 (180)
3/29/2013 11:32:59 PM
In article <kj5875$607$1@dont-email.me>, j Burns <burns4@nowhere.com>
wrote:

> On 3/29/13 4:45 PM, The Translucent Amoebae wrote:
>
> > Two questions :
> > One : How do i Use an External Hard-drive as a StartUp Disk.
> > That is : How do i load the Start Up Disk to the Hard Drive.
> > And what do i have to do when restarting the MacBook so that it will
> > Recognize that as the Startup Source Thingy.
> >
> > Two : Is there something 'Funny' About The USB 3.0 Plugs which really do
> > make them 'Not Exactly' Compatible with The USB 2.0 Plugs.
> > i have had lots & lots of Devices which use the USB 2.0 plugs, and have
> > never encountered anything like this ?
> >
> > Thanx!
> >
> One: With Tiger, I used Superduper! to clone my internal disk to an
> external disk.  I think that will work with newer versions of OS X.  (As
> Time Machine will let me start from the Recovery volume on my external
> drive, I no longer have an external startup disk.)
>
> Two: The plugs are supposed to be compatible.  Others have complained
> about unreliable connections with the plug on a Toshiba 1TB USB 3.0
> disk.  It's also possible that USB 2.0 won't supply enough current to
> run that disk reliably.

I have one of those Toshiba disks.  They get their power from the USB
connection.

o - It runs fine when connected to my HP Microserver.
o - I only got it to fire up once on an older AMD box. Subsequent
    attempts failed.
o - It wouldn't power up when connected to my 2011 model Mac mini.

That probably explains why a local shop was selling them off cheap.
This was before systems with USB 3.0 had hit the shelves in force. I now
wonder how many returns they had.

--
Paul Sture

0