USB 3.0 Hub treatment of USB 2.0 connections.

My old USB 2.0 hub (7 port with external power) had been getting
increasingly flaky over time with various devices dropping out and
re-connecting (printer, keyboard wireless receiver and so on) so I
bought a new one.  An Anker 7 port USB 3.0 with ext. p/s.

I had no USB 3.0 peripherals when I first hooked it up.

When looking at system profiler there were no USB 3.0 devices - not even
the hub - showing.  Fastest interface was shown as 480 Mb/s.

Today I received a couple USB 3.0 docks and after initially hooking them
straight to the Mac, I tried, as an experiment, passing the USB 3.0
through the hub.

Did not connect.

So I powered off the hub and disconnected it from the Mac, then
reconnected it all.

The disk appeared.  And the Highspeed USB 3.0 appeared in profile (at 5
Gb/s).

So once it's running with USB 2.0 devices only connected, the hub
doesn't take to new 3.0 devices showing up.  Once they're there, it's
fine.  Copy rate via the hub from the disk on the 3.0 was the same as a
direct connection.  (I've since put the USB 3.0 disk directly to the
computer).

I had assumed that USB 2.0 traffic would be "wrapped" in USB 3.0 and
passed to the computer and unwrapped.  But it appears it remains
electrically and logically USB 2.0.  (Then I found this:
http://via-labs.com/en/images/products/vl812/vl812-blkdiagram.jpg
implying that USB 2.0 and 3.0 follow different hardware paths (not clear
if those are "logical" paths but clearly USB 2.0 traffic is not
"wrapped" in USB 3.0 for transport from the hub to the computer.

Insights anyone?

--
   Privacy has become an essential personal chore that most
   people are not trained to perform.

0
Alan

Good, reliable 2 or 4 bay USB 3.0 disk dock; and USB 3.0 hub
Disk dock: 2 or 4 bays. USB 3.0. (RAID is not a requirement) Hub: 7 - 10 USB 3.0 with ext. power supply. -- "Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another." -Ambrose Bierce ...

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0
Recently; i found myself over at Best Buy and Found a Toshiba Hard Drive,= =20 1 Tb for $99 and i thought; 'That is too good to be true.' and also; Toshiba ??? Would they betray me ? So i bought it. And i did get it to work a little bit, which would suggest that the USB 3.0= cable that came with it, Would work with my MacBook and its USB 2.0 Vulvas= ,=20 but it didn't work very well. The Plug was 'Wiggly' And the Cable that came= with it was like 4 inches long, and it is Very Difficult to find an Extens= ion Cable for this sort of thing. i wanted to just dr...

Convert USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 Crazy?
Sounds useless, since most USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible. But ap= parently there's enough slop in the spec so that at least my 3.0 HD won't w= ork with my Netgear WNDR4000 N700 router's USB 2.0 port, and I can't mount = it as a network drive on my Macbook Pro Retina. You'd expect that the comp= atibility is achieved by some part of the doohickies ignoring the 3.0 conne= ctions and shuffling control signals to their 2.0 counterparts. In any cas= e, the Netgear's not smart enough to do that or something. Ideally, what I'd like is to have my USB 3...

Something like FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? Parallel -> USB with real USB 2.0 bandwidth ?
Hello, is there a chip, in functionality like a FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? I found on websites mentioning the FT245BM compatible for USB 2.0, but i think they don't use USB 2.0, because transfer rate is "only" 1 MByte/s, which looks like high speed USB. Is there a faster parallel USB chip, which achieves more than 1 MByte / s ? I think with USB 2.0 there must be at least a factor of 10 to this speed ? Regards, Martin "Martin Maurer" <capiman@clibb.de> wrote in news:c26q04$kkf$04$1@news.t-online.com: > Hello, > > is there a chip, in functional...

USB 3.0 slow with some USB 3.0 hard disks
I'm using Windows XP 32-bit Home with NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 PCI-E cards equipped with the uPD702000A chip. I'm getting about 90 megabytes/sec sustained transfers with USB 3.0 enclosures based on a Genesis chip but only 35 MB/s with Seagate GoFlex drives. This is with both nVidia GeForce 6100 and Intel ICH5 motherboards. It doesn't matter whether I use the newest NEC driver or the one included with the Seagate GoFlex. I've had no luck updating the NEC firmware because at the start the updater software gives an error message: W200FWUP.EXE - Entry Point Not Fou...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi &nbsp; I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time&nbsp;&nbsp;= 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0. &nbsp; I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements? &nbsp; Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wait for next multiple" into your for loop. Or do you want to have a minimum time delay of 3 seconds? Again use a for loop, get the time value and use a InRange&amp;Coerce with minimum set to 3 seconds... Or you should explain more precisely what you need... Hi Thanks for that. Let me explain. &nbsp; The time may vary. Let me give an example. if time&nbsp; = 2.1, I want to set the time step's &nbsp;3.0 and 5.0's values to -9999.0. if the time =0.1 seconds then I want to set 0.2,0.3, 0.5 etc values to -9999.0 etc .................................................................... &nbsp; Can you please help? Thank you. Hello TUDS, do you use different accounts/nicknames ? Well, that's easy, at least for a sorted array: Search for your time-value in the array (Threshold 1D array). Fill all elements from that index till the end with your "error...

USB 2.0
Hi all: In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7 minutes. It is not as quick as ...

Mac os X 10.3.9 G4 USB 1.1 firmware upgrade --> USB 2.0
Hi i have a imac G4 and i was wondering if there is a firmware upgrade or something for USB 1.1 ports to be put so they can be USB 2.0? Would i be able to buy a firewire to USB 2.0 converter? if so where, i live in New Zealand, Hastings. and can i upgrade my GeForce4 MX graphics card VRAM up from 32MB? And last of all how much would it cost ruffly to buy a 512 SDRAM for my mac, (would i be able to put DDR ram in?) Heres my iMacs specs: Hardware: Hardware Overview: Machine Model: iMac CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1) Number Of CPUs: 1 CPU Speed: 800 MHz L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB Memory: 512 MB Bus Speed: 100 MHz Boot ROM Version: 4.4.5f3 Serial Number: QT2405XJN0S Software: System Software Overview: System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.9 (7W98) Kernel Version: Darwin 7.9.0 Boot Volume: Mac OS X Computer Name: Adriel Kloppenburg's Computer User Name: Adriel Kloppenburg (adriel) Network: Internal Modem: Interface: modem Type: PPP (PPPSerial) Built-in Ethernet: Interface: en0 Type: Ethernet Ethernet Address: 00:03:93:96:51:f0 Memory: DIMM0/J22: Size: Empty Type: Empty Speed: Empty DIMM1/J20: Size: 512 MB Type: SDRAM Speed: PC133U-333 PCI/AGP Cards: GeForce4 MX: Type: display Bus: AGP VRAM (Total): 32 MB Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de) Device ID: 0x0174 Revision ID: 0x00a5 ROM Revision: 1510 Display: Type: display Display Type: LCD VRAM (In Use): 32 MB Resolution: 1440 x 900 Depth: 32-...

[ANN] gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3, gettext_rails-2.0.3
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.3 and the families (gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3 and gettext_rails-2.0.3) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- == gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3, gettext_rails-2.0.3 * Fixed dependencies [Reported by Hans de Graaff] (NOTE) * Rails-2.3.1 and earlier aren't supported. Website ------- ...

USB 2.0 vs USB 1.0 on PB G4
This PB G4 is about 18 months old. The USB port was a 1.0 port. I'm running Panther. Can I buy a scanner with a 2.0 interface and use it on my USB 1.0 port? Will it just be slower? Thanks Bruce >Can I buy a scanner with a 2.0 interface and use it on my USB 1.0 port? Yes. >Will it just be slower? Yes. -- Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more: http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html Bruce Jenkins <bruceNoSpamjenkins@comcast.net> wrote: > This PB G4 is about 18 months old. The USB port was a 1.0 port. > I'm running Panther. > Can I buy a s...

USB Portable 3.0/2.0 reliability
I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign net cafes. The idea of NOT needing a separate power supply appeals to me, but I wonder if the portable USB drives are less reliable than using an internal drive with a usb adapter and separate power supply? Also you have heat problems with these portable drives that are less of a problem with a bare internal drive I am thinking. What factors govern this? How do the newer usb 3.0 portable drives compare to the earlier ones? Most of the reviews on these portable usb drives are pretty dismal-lots of complain...

USB 2.0 printers and USB 1.0/1.1 computers
I need a new printer, being fed up with the POS Epson 740 I have now. I was considering an HP LaserJet 1012, but noticed it has a USB 2.0 port only. I've got a Rev B iMac with USB 1.0 or maybe (but I doubt it) USB 1.1. I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since you all are a well-informed bunch, I figured someone here would know. Thanks! > I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 >peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since >you all are a well-infor...

Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port?
Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port? I'm planning on upgrading my PowerMAC G4 to a Mac Pro in a month or so. I've got a lot (10+ Gb) of sensitive data files I'd like to backup on a small USB drive. TIA Bob phule92 <heoqadv02@sneakemail.com> wrote: > Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port? > > I'm planning on upgrading my PowerMAC G4 to a Mac Pro in a month or > so. I've got a lot (10+ Gb) of sensitive data files I'd like to backup > on a small USB drive. It should work, but will be slow. Assume USB's best possible...

Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1
I have two generic 4-port USB hubs that are supposed to be USB 2.0 compliant. The older one is fine, works as advertised. Meanwhile the newer one sometimes shows up under the USB 2.0 root hub (i.e. "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller"), or usually it shows up under the slower "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" (USB 1.1). My motherboard (Asus M2NPV-VM) USB ports are all USB 2.0 compliant, and they individually auto-detect whether they need to switch down to USB 1.1 speeds. I'm using a Microsoft tool called UVCView under Windows XP to display the det...

To 3.0.2 or not to 3.0.2?
I discovered some remaining cmp() in 3.0.1, 38 minutes after Benjamin fixed them. :) Unfortunately, that means porting setuptools to 3.0.1 will be a bit difficult. So my question is: Will there be a 3.0.2 with those fixes, or should I add workaround code for 3.0.1? -- Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista. http://regebro.wordpress.com/ +33 661 58 14 64 ...

USB Robotics not recognizing USB 3.0 2.5 hdd (enclosure)
For some strange reason my US Robotics USB 3.0 expresscard adapter is not recognizing my USB 2.5 HDD enclosure with the USB 3.0 adapter. Windows 7 recognizes my USB 3.5 hdd enclosure fine however. The hdd is being recognized by the USB 2.0 port however. ...

old USB 1.0 scanner behind 2.0 hub not working (win98se)
I'm having a problem with getting a (probably USB 1.0) scanner working behind a USB 2.0 hub. Other USB 1.X devices that are not plugged into the hub work fine. The scanner has an exclamation point in Device Manager. I did find a workaround by uninstalling USB 2.0 drivers for the USB controller in Device Manager. With that, the scanner exclamation point goes away, and everything works fine (but apparently in USB 1.X mode). I get a device manager exclamation point on an "Unknown USB device" (where the USB 2.0 controller was), but two VIA 3038 controllers remain in d...

akismet 0.1.2, cgiutils 0.3.5, pathutils 0.2.3
Hello All, A new release and two updates. New akismet.py 0.1.2 ================ Python Interface to the Akismet API Version 0.1.2 4th December 2005 http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/modules.shtml#akismet `Akismet <http://www.akismet.com>`_ is a web service for recognising spam comments. It promises to be almost 100% effective at catching comment spam. They say that currently 81% of all comments submitted to them are spam. It's designed to work with the `Wordpress Blog Tool <http://wordpress.org/>`_, but it's not restricted to that - so this is a Python interface to the `Akismet API <http://akismet.com/development/api/>`_. You'll need a `Wordpress Key <http://wordpress.com>`_ to use it. This script will allow you to plug akismet into any CGI script or web application, and there are full docs in the code. It's extremely easy to use, because the folks at akismet have implemented a nice and straightforward {acro;REST;REpresentational State Transfer} API. It also comes with an `example CGI <http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cgi-bin/akismet/test_akismet.py>`_. (Although the akismet feature of an "example positive" doesn't seem to be working currently - there fault not mine :-) You can read the full (Python) docs at : * `akismet.py Docs <http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/akismet_python.html>`_ Download it here : * http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cgi-bin/voidspace/downman.py...

usb error on external disc ?? hub 1-0:1.0:Cannot enable port 2
Hi, I want connext an external drive STOREX FHD-353 on my Linux 2.6.9-34 WhiteBox I have following error message "hub 1-0:1.0:Cannot enable port 2. Maybe the USB cable is bad. " Do you have an idea ? Regards Philippe My computer is an K7AMD, with motherboard Micro star 6167 . I think computer could onlly work un USB1.0 not USB 2.0. External Hard drive is running before with another PC that use XP .. ...

Re: 9.3.0
> thanks for your time and help, mark. Does the nameserver have to be edns > aware to do successful zone transfers with bind 9.3.0? no. > Do I have to > list all non-ends master servers in my named.conf to be able to do > zone-transfer successfully. No. The server in question is broken. It is sending malformed answers. > Ladislav > > Mark Andrews wrote: > >>12-Oct-2004 10:12:07.323 zone emirsal.com/IN: refresh: failure trying > >>master 213.42.49.107#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0): unexpected end of input > >> > >> > >>I am slave for this zone but I am unable to do a zone transfer succesfully. > >> > >>dig axfr emirsal.com @213.42.49.107 is fine > >>dig soa emirsal.com @213.42.49.107 is fine > >> > >>and 9.2.3 bind can do the zone transfer sucesfully. > >> > >>could it be 9.3.0 only problem? > >> > >>could it be I am out of file descriptors/sockets for named? > >> > >>Ladislav > > > > > > When all else fails tcpdump is your friend. > > > > dig +dnssec soa emirsal.com @213.42.49.107 > > > > Note the header says there is a additional record but > > there isn't one in the reply. > > > > Disable edns to this server. > > > > 17:04:29.779770 192.168.191.236.1965 > 213.42.49.107...

#if 0?0?0:0:0
The following 4-lines source fragment test.c (fourth line empty) #if 0?0?0:0:0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} cause: test.c(1) : fatal error C1017: invalid integer constant expression when compiled by cl.exe aka "Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for 80x86". On the other hand this compile and runs fine. #if 0?(0?0:0):0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} Did I hit a but it this compiler's preprocessor? Francois Grieu On 3/30/2010 12:47 PM, Francois Grieu wrote: > The following 4-lines source fr...

Mac OSX 10.3 and USB 3.0
I just ordered a BELKIN Hi-Speed USB 2.0 PCI Card to add 4+1 USB ports to this G4-450 AGP and wonder if any Mac devices really use the USB 2.0 vs. 1.0. I hope it will work as good as the current 2 port 1.0 generic USB card. I need more port and most devices are picky about having to live on hub. Anybody using USB 2.0 on a Mac? aRKay <REMOVEarkay@qsl.net> wrote: >I just ordered a BELKIN Hi-Speed USB 2.0 PCI Card to add >4+1 USB ports to this G4-450 AGP and wonder if any Mac devices really >use the USB 2.0 vs. 1.0. I hope it will work as good as the current 2 >port 1....

USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
Dear all, Could I use a win32 function to get the USB port is suport USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? I want to write a program to access the USB devices and show them is in the USB 1.1 or USB 2.0. Could everyone help me to find the function call? Or where I can find any relative information? Thanks. ---Ted Hi, Well, removable ms-dos devices such as USBs can be accessed through the \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive#. Call the API QueryDosDevice(), and get a list of all existing MS-DOS device names. You can also use the function DefineDosDevice() to define the device name as well. That said, whe...

USB HDD 20GB USB 2.0
Please can anyone tell me if this is OK? I really need some feedback, as I've got major storage problems!!! Ta http://www.ok2bid.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?item=471073511735 ...

Web resources about - USB 3.0 Hub treatment of USB 2.0 connections. - comp.sys.mac.system

Alec Baldwin, Tommy Hilfiger and a Designer With a ‘Downton’ Connection
It was something of a British invasion at Michael’s today with plenty of posh folks (Majesty magazine EIC Ingrid Seward , the always dashing ...

Quantum Break requires Internet connection for streaming cut scenes on PC
Marshall Allman appears in the full-motion episodes, but not in the actual game. The idea of requiring an Internet connection for single-player ...

4G Connections Hit One Billion as Mobile Broadband Momentum Extends to the Developing World
The number of 4G mobile connections worldwide has surpassed the one billion mark and is on track to account for a third of all mobile connections ...

Deadpool Really Did Have A Major Connection To Marvel And The Avengers, Here's How
The Deadpool movie was full of a ton of Marvel related easter eggs, literally more than we could count. Most of them were obvious, a few were ...

Zika virus-microcephaly connection hunted in Brazil - CNN.com
Is the Zika virus linked to microcephaly? The CDC and Brazilian health officials are leading the first-ever large scale investigation to find ...

Smart city tech shows complex connections between data and sensors
... MWC, Parkeon and Sierra Wireless announced that Sierra Wireless AirPrime HL Series embedded modules will be used to enable cellular connections ...

Van Jones And Jeffrey Lord Nearly End Up In A Fist Fight Over Trump's KKK Connections
CNN needs to fire Jeffrey Lord if they want to keep the name "News" in their name. His performance with Van Jones tonight was shameful. Utterly ...