USB Ports ... 1.1 and 2.0

The old iMACs (The blue ones, just a screen no box) has 2 USB 1.1
ports...
Can a printer with USB 2.0 be connected to the USB 1.1 port?
No special cables or adaptors?

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml

0
bjobrien62 (537)

In article <1182049257.788291.257950@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
 SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote:

> The old iMACs (The blue ones, just a screen no box) has 2 USB 1.1
> ports...
> Can a printer with USB 2.0 be connected to the USB 1.1 port?
> No special cables or adaptors?
>
> http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml

Yes, it just won't run as fast as it could with a USB 2.0 port. USB 1.1
supports up to 12 mbps while USB 2.0 is up to 480 mpbs. The ports and
connectors are identical and USB 2.0 ports will automatically slow down
if a USB 1.1 device is attached. You should be fine.

--
"Momma always said, "Stupid is as stupid does.""  -Forest Gump

"You can't fix stupid."  -Jim White, local radio personality
0
lije (436)
6/17/2007 3:20:13 AM
In article <1182049257.788291.257950@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
 SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote:

> The old iMACs (The blue ones, just a screen no box) has 2 USB 1.1
> ports...
> Can a printer with USB 2.0 be connected to the USB 1.1 port?
> No special cables or adaptors?
>
> http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml

Connected? Yes. USB 1.1 and 2.0 are plug-identical. Either one will plug
into a port for the other with no difficulty at all. Work? Well...
Permit me to answer that with an example from my own experience:

I had a generic USB 1.1 card in an old PowerMac 7500 running MacOS 8.6.
Hooked up an IOMega "Predator" CD-RW to it. "Predator" was specifically
marked as needing USB 2.0, and MacOS 9.1 or higher, but the hacker in me
said "It can't hurt to try, and I've still got the receipt." At first,
it functioned only as a CD-R. The machine didn't notice that it was a
burner at all. Then I installed a driver from somewhere (can't recall
where, now - it's been a couple-three years) and it started working to
burn CD-Rs. But at a max of 4x speed. (versus the I-think-it-was 48x
speed that it claimed to be capable of) USB 1.1 just couldn't feed it
fast enough to prevent burning coasters at any higher speed. CD-RWs were
a just-plain-forget-it proposition - They all reported as being CD-Rs,
no matter what brand I tried, and came out as coasters no matter what
speed I tried burning them. Then I did some digging, found out a few
things, and sometime in the process bumped up to MacOS 9.1. CD-RWs
suddenly started showing up as CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs, but I still
couldn't burn anything but coasters. Applied a patch to the driver I had
installed, and it started turning out CD-RWs - at a max speed of 2x. So,
despite being marketed specifically as a USB 2.0 device requiring MacOS
9.1 or better, I was able to get minimal functionality (as a CD-ROM,
then a CD-R burner) with 1.1 and 8.6, then once upgraded to 9.1, as a
slow - but functional - CD-RW burner.

The moral of this little tale: If it says "USB 2.0", and you plug it
into a USB 1.1 port, it's likely to have at least partial function, but
things requiring higher data rates than 1.1 can handle, or USB
2.0-specific driver functionality will probably be crippled. if it says
USB 1.1 and you plug it into a USB 2.0 port, it's all but guaranteed to
work AT LEAST as well as advertised, and perhaps even better, since 2.0
is, if specs have been properly followed, 100% backwards compatible with
1.1, with the capability of going much faster than 1.1 is able to
achieve.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
On Jun 16, 9:48 pm, Don Bruder <dak...@sonic.net> wrote:
> In article <1182049257.788291.257...@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The old iMACs (The blue ones, just a screen no box) has 2 USB 1.1
> > ports...
> > Can a printer with USB 2.0 be connected to the USB 1.1 port?
> > No special cables or adaptors?
>
> >http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml
>
> Connected? Yes. USB 1.1 and 2.0 are plug-identical. Either one will plug
> into a port for the other with no difficulty at all. Work? Well...
> Permit me to answer that with an example from my own experience:
>
> I had a generic USB 1.1 card in an old PowerMac 7500 running MacOS 8.6.
> Hooked up an IOMega "Predator" CD-RW to it. "Predator" was specifically
> marked as needing USB 2.0, and MacOS 9.1 or higher, but the hacker in me
> said "It can't hurt to try, and I've still got the receipt." At first,
> it functioned only as a CD-R. The machine didn't notice that it was a
> burner at all. Then I installed a driver from somewhere (can't recall
> where, now - it's been a couple-three years) and it started working to
> burn CD-Rs. But at a max of 4x speed. (versus the I-think-it-was 48x
> speed that it claimed to be capable of) USB 1.1 just couldn't feed it
> fast enough to prevent burning coasters at any higher speed. CD-RWs were
> a just-plain-forget-it proposition - They all reported as being CD-Rs,
> no matter what brand I tried, and came out as coasters no matter what
> speed I tried burning them. Then I did some digging, found out a few
> things, and sometime in the process bumped up to MacOS 9.1. CD-RWs
> suddenly started showing up as CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs, but I still
> couldn't burn anything but coasters. Applied a patch to the driver I had
> installed, and it started turning out CD-RWs - at a max speed of 2x. So,
> despite being marketed specifically as a USB 2.0 device requiring MacOS
> 9.1 or better, I was able to get minimal functionality (as a CD-ROM,
> then a CD-R burner) with 1.1 and 8.6, then once upgraded to 9.1, as a
> slow - but functional - CD-RW burner.
>
> The moral of this little tale: If it says "USB 2.0", and you plug it
> into a USB 1.1 port, it's likely to have at least partial function, but
> things requiring higher data rates than 1.1 can handle, or USB
> 2.0-specific driver functionality will probably be crippled. if it says
> USB 1.1 and you plug it into a USB 2.0 port, it's all but guaranteed to
> work AT LEAST as well as advertised, and perhaps even better, since 2.0
> is, if specs have been properly followed, 100% backwards compatible with
> 1.1, with the capability of going much faster than 1.1 is able to
> achieve.

Ya I can see why a device like a DVD or CD burner would 'require' a
2.0 USB...
And that is for device underuns...  You have to keep the data
streaming for a DVD / CD
burner...
In this case its a printer.. so it 'should' just work!

Thanks everyone!
Cheers.

> --
> Don Bruder - dak...@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
> or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"
> somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my
> ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

0
bjobrien62 (537)
6/17/2007 3:52:37 AM
In article <1182052357.108495.275880@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote:

> burner...
> In this case its a printer.. so it 'should' just work!

We have a modern Canon printer attached to the USB 1 port on our G4, it
works just fine, albeit a bit slow. Same thing with our scanner.

<methinks> Gotta fix that damned USB2 card ... </methinks>

"You're the worst pirate I've  ever heard of."
"Ah, but you _have_ heard of me."
--
W. Oates
0