Using an external USB hard drive with OS X

I am thinking of buying an external USB Hard Drive from Toshiba or WD.

They both say that Windows is required and the disk should be
fornatted NTFS,.

Has anyone used these kind of disks with the Mac ?

If so how did you format it ?

0
navtis (173)

navti <navtis@gmail.com> writes:

> I am thinking of buying an external USB Hard Drive from Toshiba or WD.
> They both say that Windows is required and the disk should be
> fornatted NTFS,.

The Mac shoudl mount it up and it should be usable directly,
though performance would be much better if (a) you reformatted
to HFS+ and (b) if you used Firewire instead of USB.

I highly recommend drives from Other World Computing
http://eshop.macsales.com

Though I do, too, sometimes use other drives (I've got
a couple of LaCie drives, including a USB2 one).

OWC isn't the cheapest, but their stuff is very solid.

--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks.  The rest gets trashed.
No HTML in E-Mail! --    http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
 navti <navtis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am thinking of buying an external USB Hard Drive from Toshiba or WD.
>
> They both say that Windows is required and the disk should be
> fornatted NTFS,.
>
> Has anyone used these kind of disks with the Mac ?
>
> If so how did you format it ?

Apple's Disk Utility should to be able to reformat it. You'll probably
have to change�the partition scheme, though.

In theory, here's how it will work:
1. Start Disk Utility.
2. Connect the drive.
3. The drive ought to appear in Disk Utility's sidebar.
4. Select the disk (not one of the partitions/volumes on it).
5. Click the Partitions tab.
6. Click Options and pick the partition scheme. It'll be on Master Boot
Record. You want one of the other two schemes. If you want to use it as
a startup disk, you'll want Apple Partition Map for a PowerPC Macintosh,
or GUID Partition Table for an Intel Macintosh. This is all explained in
this screen. :) Click OK when you've selected the scheme.
7. Pick a Volume Scheme. "1 Partition" is probably what you want.
8. Select the partition and double check the format. You want "Mac OS
Extended (Journaled)"

I say "ought to" in step 3 above because I've had some issues with USB
drives lately, but I noticed they were one of the things fixed with
10.4.10. I just haven't got around to trying them out again yet. I don't
know how you can be sure a particular drive will work (and, really, it's
probably the USB bridge chipset that makes the difference).
0
sdfisher (2069)
6/21/2007 3:03:11 PM
In article <yobfy4ls68p.fsf@panix3.panix.com>,
 BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

> The Mac shoudl mount it up and it should be usable directly,
> though performance would be much better if (a) you reformatted
> to HFS+ and (b) if you used Firewire instead of USB.
>
> I highly recommend drives from Other World Computing
> http://eshop.macsales.com

If you're in Canada:

http://www.directdial.com

these guys are great. Delivery next business day, low shipping rates.
--
W. Oates
0
(in article <1182437510.139000.80710@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>):

> I am thinking of buying an external USB Hard Drive from Toshiba or WD.

I have a WD external drive. Well, actually, I have several WD drives,
including two 320 GB My Book drives and a 60 GB Passport.

> They both say that Windows is required

Where does WD say that?

> and the disk should be
> fornatted NTFS,.

Where does WD say that? My WD drives shipped formatted FAT32. I reformatted
the My Books to use HFS+ (note: merely reformatting doesn't change the
partition map. If you want to boot from them, you must change the partition
map to Apple Partition Map for booting from a PPC machine, or GUID Table for
booting from an Intel machine) but left the Passport alone.

> Has anyone used these kind of disks with the Mac ?

Which drives, exactly, are you talking about? WD makes a lot of drives.

> If so how did you format it ?

try.not.to (2779)
6/22/2007 9:26:46 AM
0
john122 (123)
6/23/2007 12:08:49 AM
In article
<Pine.OSX.4.63.0706221907580.474@john-maysons-ibook-g4.local>, John
Mayson <john@mayson.us> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, navti wrote:
>
> > I am thinking of buying an external USB Hard Drive from Toshiba or WD.
> >
> > They both say that Windows is required and the disk should be
> > fornatted NTFS,.
> >
> > Has anyone used these kind of disks with the Mac ?
> >
> > If so how did you format it ?
>
> You can format it anyway you want.  The two I have bought were
> preformatted to FAT32.  I went ahead and formatted it for the Mac
> filesystem (whatever it's called, I'm tired).  NTFS would be read-only.

I have one that I reformatted as HFS+ (Journaled) with a GUID Partition
Map and I use it as an alternate boot device for my MacBook.

--
Spenser
0