WakeOnLAN Mac to Mac over the net?

My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues
(Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've
configured it to sleep when not in use.

So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but
so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a
cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System
Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet
administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on
my end, which doesn't do any outbound port blocking TMK. Seems like it
should work, but I get no response.

Has anyone here ever successfully done WOL from one Mac to another over
the net?

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)

In article <jollyroger-1EF39D.22082902042009@news.individual.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues
> (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've
> configured it to sleep when not in use.
>
> So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but
> so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a
> cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System
> Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet
> administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on
> my end, which doesn't do any outbound port blocking TMK. Seems like it
> should work, but I get no response.
>
> Has anyone here ever successfully done WOL from one Mac to another over
> the net?

So out of curiosity, I tried setting the firewall to "Allow all incoming
connections", and sure enough, I was able to wake the machine. I then
tried setting the firewall to "Allow only essential services" and was
able to wake it that way as well. But when the firewall is set to "Set
access for specific services and applications", WOL doesn't work.

Obviously the firewall is blocking or dropping the WOL packets in this
mode. The question is, how can I configure it to allow the WOL packets
to hit the interface and wake the system?

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)
4/3/2009 3:33:22 AM
In article <jollyroger-13BE49.22332202042009@news.individual.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-1EF39D.22082902042009@news.individual.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues
> > (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've
> > configured it to sleep when not in use.
> >
> > So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but
> > so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a
> > cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System
> > Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet
> > administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on
> > my end, which doesn't do any outbound port blocking TMK. Seems like it
> > should work, but I get no response.
> >
> > Has anyone here ever successfully done WOL from one Mac to another over
> > the net?
>
> So out of curiosity, I tried setting the firewall to "Allow all incoming
> connections", and sure enough, I was able to wake the machine. I then
> tried setting the firewall to "Allow only essential services" and was
> able to wake it that way as well. But when the firewall is set to "Set
> access for specific services and applications", WOL doesn't work.
>
> Obviously the firewall is blocking or dropping the WOL packets in this
> mode. The question is, how can I configure it to allow the WOL packets
> to hit the interface and wake the system?

WoL is way before software, inside the network interface hardware.  It
could be that the security setting is turning off broadcasts in the
hardware.  Another big problem with WoL over the Internet is the
routing.  There needs to be a router upstream of it that will reliably
forward broadcast packets.  It sounds like, in your case, the modem
needs to forward them even when it's not talking to the computer.

This may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

As for the overheating, it may be the infamous counterfeit capacitors.
Just one month after Apple's extended warranty ended, half the
capacitors in my iMac G5 and its power supply dried up.  The bus
controller is on the back side of the board pressed up against an
aluminum plate.  I think the fan near the hard drive cools it.

--
I will not see your reply if you use Google.
0
 Kevin McMurtrie <kevinmcm@sonic.net> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-13BE49.22332202042009@news.individual.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <jollyroger-1EF39D.22082902042009@news.individual.net>,
> >  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues
> > > (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've
> > > configured it to sleep when not in use.
> > >
> > > So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but
> > > so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a
> > > cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System
> > > Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet
> > > administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on
> > > my end, which doesn't do any outbound port blocking TMK. Seems like it
> > > should work, but I get no response.
> > >
> > > Has anyone here ever successfully done WOL from one Mac to another over
> > > the net?
> >
> > So out of curiosity, I tried setting the firewall to "Allow all incoming
> > connections", and sure enough, I was able to wake the machine. I then
> > tried setting the firewall to "Allow only essential services" and was
> > able to wake it that way as well. But when the firewall is set to "Set
> > access for specific services and applications", WOL doesn't work.
> >
> > Obviously the firewall is blocking or dropping the WOL packets in this
> > mode. The question is, how can I configure it to allow the WOL packets
> > to hit the interface and wake the system?
>
> WoL is way before software, inside the network interface hardware.  It
> could be that the security setting is turning off broadcasts in the
> hardware.

If that's the case, I wonder if there's a way to disable that
functionality.

> Another big problem with WoL over the Internet is the
> routing.  There needs to be a router upstream of it that will reliably
> forward broadcast packets.  It sounds like, in your case, the modem
> needs to forward them even when it's not talking to the computer.
>
> This may help:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Well we've established that the modem is indeed forwarding the packets
to the computer when the firewall is set to one of the first two modes.
I suspect the modem is also forwarding them with the firewall in the
third mode, but the computer is ignoring them.

> As for the overheating, it may be the infamous counterfeit capacitors.
> Just one month after Apple's extended warranty ended, half the
> capacitors in my iMac G5 and its power supply dried up.  The bus
> controller is on the back side of the board pressed up against an
> aluminum plate.  I think the fan near the hard drive cools it.

I suspect it is bad capacitors, but won't know for sure until I get my
hands on the machine, which won't be until she has a replacement.

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)

To Mac or not to Mac?

Mac to mac

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Help! iSync mac to mac

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFOR...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.n...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

Web resources about - WakeOnLAN Mac to Mac over the net? - comp.sys.mac.system

WakeOnLan 1.0
WakeOnLan lets you wake your sleeping desktop Mac from your laptop.

Get more from the command line with EventSentry SysAdmin Tools
... tree which haven’t been modified in x number of days; ntpclient queries an NTP time server and optionally updates your system time; WakeOnLan ...

EventSentry SysAdmin Tools 2.1.1.1 free download - Software reviews, downloads, news, free trials, freeware ...
EventSentry SysAdmin Tools 2.1.1.1: Free console-based network management tools

Goldworm Remote Control - Android Apps on Google Play
Use your smart phone as a PC remote control.GoldwormServer for this app should be installed on your PC.The server can be downloaded at the following ...

» Tools & sources
malware from the analysts point of view

About Us
RemoteTap Our first iPhone application, for remote management of Macs. Including all the features of our previous Mac based management software, ...

7 Tools for Easing the Switch from a PC to a Mac
Have you recently made the switch from a Windows PC to a Mac? If so, even though Mac OS X has a great interface, you probably are used to a few ...

WakeOnLan for Smartphones - WMPoweruser
With many of us streaming media from our pc’s at home or using remote desktop, we often need to leave our desktops running 24 hours per day. ...

IR Trans - Technical Information - Software / Applications
Home - Multimedia - Home Automation - Environmental Control - Media Control - Industrial - OEM Shop - Technical Information - Device selection ...

Albatron K8X800 Socket 754 (Athlon 64) Mainboard Review
+++ 6x pci, 1x AGP master (1.5V 4x/8x), 3x DDR PC1600 - PC3200 (max. 2GB RAM) ++++ 1x Floppy, 2x UDMA133, 2x SATA150 RAID 0/1, 2x serial, 1x ...