What is this?... Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

I just used Disk Utility to Repair Disk.

It said that the volume appears to be OK.

But then it added,"Updating boot support partitions for the volume as
required."

I've never seen that before. What does it mean?

If i just do a Verify Disk, it says the disk appears to be OK but
doesn't add the bit about boot support partitions.
4
doug102 (95)

On 09-12-2009, Doug Jantzer <doug@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> But then it added,"Updating boot support partitions for the volume
as�
> required."

> I've never seen that before. What does it mean?

You take your drive and you partition it into ... perhaps two
partitions.  But the System really includes another two areas for data
on the drive.  One is the one where the partition information is stored
and how to access the drive (duh).  The other is a partition used for
telling the computer how to boot from the drive.  It's this second area
that that message is talking about.  You can, with a lot of work, look
inside this partition and see what's on it, but it's not worth it:
you'll never have to worry about it.

Simon.

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X, since 0 days.

You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo
0
slavins (280)
9/13/2009 7:51:55 PM
In article <nemo-13092009204650@nemo.com>,
 Simon Slavin <slavins@hearsay.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 09-12-2009, Doug Jantzer <doug@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> > But then it added,"Updating boot support partitions for the volume
> as�
> > required."
>
> > I've never seen that before. What does it mean?
>
> You take your drive and you partition it into ... perhaps two
> partitions.  But the System really includes another two areas for data
> on the drive.  One is the one where the partition information is stored
> and how to access the drive (duh).  The other is a partition used for
> telling the computer how to boot from the drive.  It's this second area
> that that message is talking about.  You can, with a lot of work, look
> inside this partition and see what's on it, but it's not worth it:
> you'll never have to worry about it.
>
> Simon.

Thanks Simon.

I don't recall ever seeing it before.
Maybe it was always there and I just missed it.

Does it do that every time or only when it's "necessary"?

Doug
0
doug102 (95)

Do System Updates Update the Recovery Partition?
I think it was OS 10.7 that introduced a separate Recovery Partition. If I upgrade to OS 10. >7, is the Recovery Partition upgraded also? If not, how would I do that? -- Nelson In article <0001HW.D0B4A1630295BC66B01029BF@news.astraweb.com>, Nelson <nelson@nowhere.com> wrote: > > I think it was OS 10.7 that introduced a separate Recovery Partition. > If I upgrade to OS 10. >7, is the Recovery Partition upgraded also? If > not, how would I do that? The Recovery Partition is not updated and you don't (and probably can't) update it...

Boot Manager with EFI partition table support and LVM metadata support
For those of you who have been playing with CHKVOL, FORMAT, and VMDISK: You've had all of the things bar one for running my Boot Manager. Unless you exercised your curiosity, you maybe didn't realize that you had a SYS command. That, and two more files, are enough to get you my Boot Manager. The two additional files are now available at the same WWW page that you downloaded CHKVOL et al. from. Here's the five-step procedure to getting a Boot Manager volume on a removable bootable FAT medium. Notice that Boot Manager doesn't care what the medium is. It mus...

bootable floppy which can boot a CD in systems without CD-Boot support
Anyone have a pointer to this utility? I've googled and searched the usual suspects, but I can't find it. Somewhere I saw a floppy-bootdisk which allowed you to boot off any other drive in the system, including a CD-ROM. I thought that this would be useful for this old system I have (with SCSI CD-ROM) which can't boot most CDs. Thanks. ...

No Support for USB Pocket Drive Booting: Boot Selector on Fixed Disk with XP Partition
I have seen a lot of information (particularly on various implementations of GRUB) about how to get a boot selector program that helps to boot USB pocket drives where the machine BIOS will not support the boot, as in the case of my laptop. I want put a boot selection program (GRUB or like it) on the hard disk that boots Win XP. Clearly it will move or relocate the XP boot/loader to another location, or in some way hook into that loader to prevent it from running. The runs the boot loader selection program then presents a list of the bootable options (device/partition): in my case i...

Updating /boot/boot
[Minix 3.1.2a] What's the proper way to replace the secondary boot program? We're editing /usr/src/boot/boot.c. Then doing a "make boot". If we copy the new 'boot' to /boot/boot, it appears to work. There's a target in ../boot/Makefile, /usr/mdec/boot, that installs the new 'boot' in /usr/mdec/boot, but not in /boot. What's the "correct way" to install 'boot' where it is needed (which I believe is in /boot/boot)? Thanks, -- Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj Appa...

System requirements for Mac Everquest
How serious are they about having a 700 MHz machine? I have a G5 on order, but Apple claims it won't arrive until September. Will I have playable performance on at least teh newbie levels on my current Mac? G4 400 MHz 256 MB RAM [512 MB w/ virtual mem] ATI Radeon [32 Meg; older model] will upgrade to latest version of OS-X Billy Harris <wharris@mail.airmail.net> wrote in message news:<110720030429451644%wharris@mail.airmail.net>... > How serious are they about having a 700 MHz machine? I have a G5 on > order, but Apple claims it won't arrive until...

Boot Volume is not the Primary partition.
I had my 80GB HD partitioned into 2 volumes. The first 20 as my "system" drive, and the last 60 as my "data" drive. Well I just put a clean copy of XP back on the first 20 because I switched motherboard and processor, a fantastic upgrade from a PIII 450 on an AOPEN AX6BC to an Athlon XP 2500+ on an ASUS A7N8X. In the process of laying XP back down, I booted from the XP CD, deleted the 20 GB partition, and then told it to go to work.... it formats in NTFS and copies files and installs XP.... The one thing I noticed was during the repartition / reformat, it was...

Urgently Required a System Support Engineer
Dear all, A well reputable group of companies in Pakistan we urgently required a System Support Engineer for our sister concern factory located in Karachi at Korangi Industrial Area, Preference will be given to Candidates those are living near to the K.I.A. and have done MCP and A+ certification. For walk-in interview contact in office timings (9:00-5:00) Mr. Asim Khan asmkhn@gmail.com.pk 0333-2178468 Thanks & Regards ...

Resizing (enlarging) Mac boot partition?
I'll preface this by saying I am not a Mac expert by any stretch of the imagination. (Though I have worked with Unix systems for over 30 years and feel at home with the Mac command line.) I helped a friend install an upgraded hard drive in a Macbook Pro using a 500GB drive to replace the old 80GB unit. We sucessfully copied the old drive to the new using "Clonezilla" (a Linux-based disk cloning utility), but have run into a brick wall as far as utilizing the additional space, we seem to be stuck with using just the original 80GB. The Mac is currently running OS X 10.4.11. Its command-line diskutil only offered to shrink the existing partition, not expand it. Nothing I've found so far has been able to enlarge the HPFS+ partition, or for that matter even add another partition without wiping out the contents of the drive. (This is very frustrating since this is a trivial operation in Linux and Windows.) Obviously the worst-case scenario here is to just bite the bullet and reload everything from scratch to make use of the entire drive, but we are trying to avoid that! Are there any utility programs available that can expand the Mac's boot partition, or at least non-destructively add additional partitions to the drive to make the additional space usable? One program we found called "iPartition" seems like it may be able to do this. Has anyone here used iPartition successfully? Any other recommendations? -- Roger B...

GameTap Update Drops Mac Support
http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=17547 Friday, March 6, 2009 Send mac games news to: news@insidemacgames.com GameTap Update Drops Mac Support 6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 2 comments A recent GameTap blog has revealed upcoming changes to the online gaming service. In the coming weeks GameTap will offer a re-designed website, improved digital store, and a new plug-in to replace the old GameTap player. Several features will be missing at launch, including support for Mac OS X. The post does not specify when, or if, Mac users will again be supported. We'll cover these new features in-depth over the next couple of weeks, but here's a quick preview of what you have to look forward to: -A unified browsing, downloading, and playing experience -Desktop & Start Menu shortcuts option for every game -Exciting titles from new publishers -All arcade and console games play right in your browser -Firefox support for in-browser play -Manage your download queue and favorites in your browser -Faster loading times -Additional subscription options -Simplified multi-computer use -Better search and navigation tools -New forum software -Customizable avatars -Improved parental controls -Updated digital download store with a better selection and competitive prices The trade-off for all this awesomeness is that some GameTap Player features will not be available at launch, specifically: leaderboards, Mac OS X support, challenge play, customizable controls, inst...

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.
Hi Group, Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a mistake_ I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended Journaled for both paritions. Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I get the message "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." There is a red explaination mark on the drive. I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk util program and I still have the same proble...

Resizing (enlarging) Mac boot partition
I'll preface this by saying I am not a Mac expert by any stretch of the imagination. I helped a friend install an upgraded hard drive in a Macbook Pro using a 500GB drive to replace the old 80GB unit. We sucessfully copied the old drive to the new using "Clonezilla" (a Linux-based disk cloning utility), but have run into a brick wall as far as utilizing the additional space, we seem to be stuck with using just the original 80GB. (The Mac is running OS X 10.4.11.) Nothing I've found so far, including the Mac's built-in disk utility and Gparted, has been able t...

Dropped Support for Mac operating systems
RB2005 dropped support for all Macintosh operating systems from 8.6 to 10.2.6 and RB now requires 10.2.8 as a minimum to run. This is a complete slap in the face of the Mac users you built this company; you know, during all those years when there were no Win32 or Linux users. This requires Mac users to buy upgrades for the system software just to use RB, which is unjustified. You also have to consider other costs such as will the users other software and periphels continue to work after such system upgrade. In not then the user must buy a new computer. Just goes to show you how RS treats its original core customer base. Most commong folk don't upgrade their software to have the latest thing - most stick with the original os that came with their machines, but what can you tell management with their heads up in clouds - thinking everyone drives around Porches and Limosines. ...

Master boot record and System partition
Hi, gurus. I have a question about MBRs. Is the master boot record part of the system partition or separate from the system partition? If I delete the system partition, does the MBR go with it or does it remain accessible on the disk? Thanks for any insight. Stanley ...

boot flags for firmware update from a system disk
I see that for the 255 and 2x00 it is 0,a0 and for the 3000 it is 0,80 according to http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/ . Are these all correct, or is there a typo somewhere? In article <d2j1v8$1qo$3@online.de>, helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote: >I see that for the 255 and 2x00 it is 0,a0 and for the 3000 it is 0,80 >according to http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/ . Are these >all correct, or is there a typo somewhere? Interesting. I don't have the boot flag cheat sheet at my fingertips, and I don't recognize either of those bits from memory. I suspect one of them is a typo, but I bet either will work since evidently nobody has reported a problem in all these years. For VMS, the second half of the boot flag string (the part after the comma) is a bit mask in hexidecimal. So "0,a0" is a superset of "0,80". I'm guessing one of the bits (likely 80) makes the boot code prompt you for a bootfile name, and that's all that matters in this context. Just try it. If it doesn't work, try the other boot flag. I never noticed a "destry system" bit; you're very unlikely to hurt anything. ...

Restoring boot partition after System Commander screwup
hi guys, I installed System Commander, didn't like it, uninstalled it, and now my system hangs during boot, displaying the message: "Missing SYSCMNDR.SYS! Boot error: B-00", and prints a list of the partitions. Then I have to type in "0" to get win2k to boot normally. How do I remove the SC garbage and boot normally? thanks in advance. The system is a plain vanilla win2k system with current updates. There are no other OSs in the system and it was, I admit, rather foolish to install SC. The boot disk is a WD Ultra 100. If I can't uninstall this crap, I...

Using a Wiki to acquire and update system requirements?
I am currently working on a small project which is progressing nicely, but we've been having problems getting our requirements written down (or kept up-to-date). I don't think this is a big problem, as there is a lot of R in this R&D project, and it could easily be claimed that we are still finishing a feasibility phase for many aspects of the project. The SRS has been passed between three engineers, but getting the document released has been difficult. I am the software test engineer on the project and I wrote an early draft of the Product Specification and the SRS. Today I was wondering if using a Wiki might allow us to create a requirements repository collaboratively, where anyone can update the Wiki requirements as they are added, changed or refined. Therefore progress on the document doesn't halt because the person who is currently responsible for the document has become too busy to work on it. At some point, the Wiki requirements should effectively freeze as no further updates are needed, and the requirements could be cut-and-pasted into a Word document, reviewed, and released as a formal document. (Don't bother telling me to skip the SRS stuff. Due to regulatory requirements, we have to produce them.) We use MS-WORD for our documents, saving them in PVCS Version Manager, and formally releasing them into a document management system called Agile. We also use ReqPro, which I find to be a very awkward tool, and in my opinion, valuable only for au...

Mac and non Mac Partition
Hello, I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable stup. The problem for instance in a Fat16 partion the mac write some "._blahblah" files. And some player doesn't like these file and get frozen. I have to plug the player (or it's memory card) to a Pc, the remove these file in order to make it working. Is there a way to avoid this ? Thanks John In article <4a4cc7f2$0$12658$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, John <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable ...

Mac OS/X file system support?
I have a Mac OS/X formatted hard drive that I'd like to read and delete some stuff off of under Linux. Is there a Mac OS/X file system driver for Linux? On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 03:49:20 -0700, stork wrote: > I have a Mac OS/X formatted hard drive that I'd like to read and delete > some stuff off of under Linux. Is there a Mac OS/X file system driver > for Linux? > Caveat: I don't have a Mac. IIRC, most kernels can read/write HFS. # modprobe hfs # lsmod | grep hfs -- Douglas Mayne On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:10:17 -0600, Douglas Mayne staggered into the Black Sun and s...

Postgresql system requirements to support large databases.
We are looking at implementing a large Postgresql database (50GB - 100GB) and are wondering if there are any limitations or problems for a database of this size running on 32-bit architecture. I have seen some older posts where it appears that Postgresql seemed to have performance problems when the database reached 5GB, and it was recommended that 64-bit architecture be used. Is this still true with Postgresql version 7.4? This will be out first experience with Postgresql and we are needing to get some ideas of what system requirements a database of this size will require. Since th...

Re: Postgresql system requirements to support large
I just want a general idea of what Postgresql can handle. I know the guru's will say it depends on many different things, but in general what can this bad boy handle? 50gb to 100gb is by no means small. But how does Postgresql 7.4 handle database of 900G, or 1 Terabyte or greater? How does Postgresql handle a table with100 columns of integers and varchar2(400) data types with 1 million rows,10 million, 100 million 500 million,greater then 1 billion joined to a small lookup table of 50000 rows with both tables indexed properely? Can this database handle enterprise q...

MBR, File system, boot sector, partition table
Someone know where are on the disk these: partition table, boot sector, MBR, fat or ntfs table And how can i find them with a disk hex viewer? How much bytes their are long? Thanks djake@excite.it (djake@excite.it) wrote: > Someone know where are on the disk these: > > partition table, The 64 bytes from offset 406, in the MBR. > boot sector, May be located anywhere on the disk. Its location is pointed by the active partition entry in the MBR. Usually, the boot sector will be found in logical sector 63 (011 in CHS notation) but don't count on i...

Endless reboots after last system update on 2 Macs!
Help! A couple of weeks ago I did a standard software update (to OS X 10.8.= 5 (12F37)) on my 2012 15" rMBP. It's always worked fine before. After the u= pdate, it would look like it was rebooting fine and then brought up the log= in screen but every time I tried to log on, it sat for a bit and then reboo= ted with a message on the screen saying it couldn't be updated and then reb= ooted again, over and over. I could do a safe boot and a recovery boot but couldn't find out what was g= oing on. I brought it to the "Geniuses" and they ran diagnostics and couldn= 't really find what was up but one of their program didn't see the OSX inst= all! The guy though the SSD could be bad and ordered a replacement. That di= dn't sound right to I bought it home, booted into target mode, grabbed my d= ata with a TB cable to my other Mac, and then did a full erase disk/fresh i= nstall of 10.8 and all my apps. A big pain, but it's been fine (actually ru= nning faster with a lot of junk removed) since. I nervously applied the sam= e software update that had messed it up in the first place but it went in f= ine with no issues. So, a couple of days ago I went to use the other Mac - the latest Mac Mini-= and it said it needed a software update. Did that and now it's doing the s= ame thing the rMBP did! I guess I'll have to do a wipe/re-install on that o= ne too. What's going on? Two machines with the exact same prob...

Master Boot Record with EFI partition table support
I came across an EDD proposal the other day, for adding a new flag to the EFI (so-called "GUID") partition table. The proposal hypothesized a master boot record that understood EFI partition tables. It would enable machines with PC/AT style firmwares to bootstrap operating systems on discs partitioned with an EFI partition table. (The MBR bootstrap code provided by people until now has always assumed an MBR partition table, and failed when one either is not present or is merely a so-called "protective MBR".) The hypothesized boostrap code would scan the ...

Web resources about - What is this?... Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. - comp.sys.mac.system

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the California Constitutional Convention of 1849 applied for statehood in the current boundaries, the South reluctantly acceded to a single, ...

Explainer: Malcolm Turnbull and the incendiary idea to partition Iraq
This week, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull raised eyebrows by professing openness to a very controversial idea. He&nbsp;suggested that a partition ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

Restore files, partitions, broken PCs with Lazesoft Recovery Suite
... That’s all the more surprising when you see how much the program can do. It’s able to recover everything from individual files to entire partitions; ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

Jat stir revives Partition nightmare for Rohtak residents
The violent Jat quota agitation has revived painful memories of Partition for many people caught in the two conflicts separated by seven decades. ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...