What will Mac speech recognition apps be like in 20 years

So what will Mac speech recognition be like,
say 20 years from now?  It is fun to guess.

Macs will no doubt be fast enough to support
big artificial intelligence apps.

Today, such apps are not possible, on our toy
computers.

As a result, present-day speech apps make
many more mistakes than would occur if those
speech apps were perfect.

Speech apps can and do save money, but only if
they are combined with humans, to correct any
text mistakes.

Recently I was dictating this simple sentence:

"Now is the time for all good men
   to come to the aid of their country"

The speech app converted it to this text:

"Now is the time for Augmentin
  come to the aid of their country"

heh, the word "Augmentin" was not even in my
huge Oxford dictionary.

Tried a couple of online dictionaries, they
could not find it either.

Finally found it in a medical dictionary, it is
the generic name for amoxicillinclavulanic_acid,
an antibiotic drug.

Point is, a human correcting the wrong sentence
below  *CAN*  figure it out:

"Now is the time for Augmentin
  come to the aid of their country"

Human can easily spot that as text error, especially
if he had the original audio file to listen to.

In the future, speech apps will be able to figure
out if such words "belong" in sentences,
just like humans can.

Mark-
0
none-of (517)

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 01:03:00 -0700, Mark Conrad wrote:

<snip>
Any particular reason for this rant?
0
spamboy6547 (356)
9/11/2009 9:22:13 PM
In article <1gct3iyhwghcq$.1081q1n8xirp2$.dlg@40tude.net>, salgud
<spamboy6547@comcast.net> wrote:

> <snip>
> Any particular reason for this rant?

Gosh, I was not aware that it was a rant.

rant  (verb)
   speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.

Was I shouting? - heck, I was not even speaking,
I was merely posting about a text input method
that Mac users have not had for the past 25 years,
while Windows users have had it forever.

What part of   "It is fun to guess" do you not understand?

Now if you are in favor of restricting Mac users
as regards what they have available, I can certainly
understand that.

After all, we all realize that the Mac is not suited for
business uses such as speech recognition, while the
Windows computers   _are_   suited for business!

Let's keep it that way, by gum!

Enough of this speech recognition crap!

I say back to basics, toy computers for toy uses.

Long live showing photos, surfing the web, sending
emails, playing music, and other trivial personal uses.

Sure, there will be fewer Macs sold, because people
will realize that they are unsuitable for business uses
such as medical record keeping, a very large industry.

Sure, there will be fewer Macs sold, so there will be
fewer programmers creating software for the Mac.

What do we care, as long as there we can share photos,
send personal emails, surf the web, play music, and a
few other trivial personal uses.

For business, we always have Windows hardware/software
right?   And it is well known that we all love to run the
confusing obfusticated Windows, because we like to suffer
while we work, right?

Keep the  easy-to-run  Mac out of the workplace, because
otherwise we would save a whole bunch of money by firing
all the   IT   personel that are necessary to keep Windows
running.    IT personel that are necessary because the
obfusticated Windows is way too complex to be handled
by the usual Windows user.

So what?  We   *LOVE*   wasting all that money, because then
Obama will get to spend another trillion dollars on health care,
we don't mind paying all those extra taxes, do we?

No danger of those taxes breaking the US economy, is there?

I am with you 100%.   Down with speech recognition on the Mac!

Mark-
0
none-of (517)
9/12/2009 1:31:45 AM
In article <110920091831453049%none-of@your-business.invalid>, Mark
Conrad <none-of@your-business.invalid> wrote:

> I am with you 100%.   Down with
> speech recognition on the Mac!

Now my previous post was a full-sized proper
rant, with a lot of sarcasm, including the above
remark of mine.

There is nothing magic about speech recognition,
it is just another input tool, like a graphics
tablet, or a keyboard, or a DSL connection, or an
external hard drive - - - they are all ways of
getting information into a computer.

Each input tool has its own unique advantages,
and disadvantages.

Mac users are not familiar with SR benefits,
because they have not had access to good SR apps
for the past 25 years, while Windows users have
had the best  SR  apps all during that 25 years.

Hundreds of millions of dollars change hands yearly,
for speech recognition purposes, almost all of that
money winding up in the pockets
of  Nuance  and  Microsoft.

Nuance is the present owner of Dragon, they are
a heartless multinational company based in Belgium.

In year 2006, the cost of one days training in using
Dragon was $1,500 - - - I expect it is more now.

In 2006, they charged $9.95 to answer your email
question about Dragon!

About a year ago, Mac users got hold of an
"adequate"  SR app, the version 1.5.2
of "MacSpeech Dictate".

Earlier versions 1.0  through 1.3 were crap.
(there was no version 1.4)

The Snow Leopard compatible version will be ready
in a few short weeks, it will likely be version 1.5.3

Another Mac business started up a few years ago,
selling a "MacPractice MD"  app to doctors and
hospitals that use Macs, at about $5,000 per user.

They are making money hand over fist, partly because
they advertise that their software is compatible
with the SR app "MacSpeech Dictate".

<http://www.macpractice.com/mp/>

"MacPractice MD" is Snow Leopard compatible
right now, according to their website.

So what does all the above posting have to do with
the ordinary humble Mac user in this NG?

Not much directly, but a heck of a lot indirectly.

Kinda like a lot of things in this life, the benefits of
speech recognition are not readily apparent unless
you do a little digging.   SR itself is difficult to master,
despite all the sales hype to the contrary.

Mark-
0
none-of (517)
9/12/2009 8:27:37 AM
A problem with speech recognition is that two words, words that sound alike,
can have different meanings depending on the context in which they are used.
A classic example is the two words "raise" and "raze'" which canhave opposite
meanings, "raise" meaning to erect and "raze" meaning to destruct. The
challenge to speech recognition software is to recognize these differences, a
challenge that means for the program to understand the full context in which
a word is used.

--
James Leo Ryan --- Austin, Texas

In article <0001HW.C6D0C93000027F94B01029BF@News.Individual.NET>,
TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@me.com> wrote:

> A problem with speech recognition is that two words, words that sound alike,
> can have different meanings depending on the context in which they are used.
> A classic example is the two words "raise" and "raze'" which can have opposite
> meanings, "raise" meaning to erect and "raze" meaning to destruct. The
> challenge to speech recognition software is to recognize these differences, a
> challenge that means for the program to understand the full context in which
> a word is used.

Yes indeed.

It is not so much that the challenge can't be solved.

After all, we humans solve that problem every day,
from the clues that we get by reading words in the
context of surrounding words/sentences/paragraphs.

Very young humans often make mistakes in usage,
but they learn like the rest of us when they get older.

If we hear a sentence in isolation:

    "I will raise/raze the twin towers."

....we have no idea whatever whether the person intends
to build the twin towers, or destroy the twin towers.

With my background in artificial intelligence, it would
be possible for me, or any similar programmers, to create
a SR program that is every bit as good as a human is in
choosing the correct word to place in a sentence.

Such a program would be huge, expensive, and could not
run in real-time on existing slow hardware.

There is presently no reason to create such an accurate
SR program, because the programmers would never
be able to recoup their money and make a profit from
the limited customers who would buy such a program.

Despite all those flaws in present-day SR apps, they are
still useful, even though it is a royal PITA to correct the
mistakes they make.

If I dictate at 66 wpm for 3 minutes, I can be certain
that it will take me another 3 minutes to find and correct
the ten mistakes the SR program makes.

Here is a prime example, which took me 3 minutes
to dictate the roughly 200 words.

It has ten text mistakes, from top to bottom
they are:

game S/B gain
used an S/B Houston
analogs S/B analog
after a single doses S/B after single doses
game S/B gain
shot S/B sought
....     All S/B ... All   (too much space after ellipses)
game S/B gain
treatments S/B treatment
game S/B gain

Total mistakes = 10

Just for beginners, the person who corrects the text
should have a medical background, so  he/she  will be
able to spot the mistakes.

Maximizing therapeutic game with gemcitabine
and fractionated radiation.

Mason KA, Milas L, Hunter NR, Elshaikh M,
Buchmiller L, Kishi K, Hittelman K, Ang KK.

Department Of Experimental Radiation Oncology,
The University Of Texas M.D.  Anderson Cancer
Center, used an, USA.

mason@notes.mdacc.tmc.edu

PURPOSE/OBJECTIVE: the nucleoside analogs
gemcitabine inhibits cellular repair and
repopulation, induces apoptosis, causes tumor
growth delay, and enhances radiation-induced
growth delay.  After a single doses of drug and
radiation, maximum enhancement of tumor response
was obtained when gemcitabine preceded radiation
by at least 24 h.  Conversely, the cellular
radioresponse of the normal gastrointestinal
epithelium was slightly protected when
gemcitabine and radiation were separated by a 24 h.
This differential response created a time
frame within which therapeutic game could be
maximized.  In our present investigation, we
shot to define the most therapeutically
beneficial scheme of gemcitabine administration
when combined with fractionated radiotherapy.

....   All 3 schedules of drug administration
produce therapeutic game; however, when
gemcitabine was given more than once in a
five-fraction radiation treatments schedule, normal
tissue toxicity increased.  The highest
therapeutic game (1.4) was achieved by giving a
single dose of gemcitabine (25 mg/kg) 24 h
before the start of fractionated radiotherapy.

Summary of above flawed example of practical
speech recognition.
****************************

Fully 4 of the mistakes were caused by the SR app
mistaking the word "gain" for the wrong word "game".

Yet another "homonym mistake" was when the SR app
mistook the word  "sought"  for the wrong word "shot".

Another  "near homonym"  mistake occurred when the
SR app mistook  "Houston"  for the wrong words "used an".

We can say that 9 of the 10  mistakes were caused by the
effect you mentioned in your post, namely words that
sound alike, so-called "homonyms".

As long as it is cheaper to employ a nurse to correct
stupid text mistakes, instead of buying extremely
expensive  hardware/software  to do correction chores
automatically, the present  half-vast  speech software
will have to suffice for all of us.

Mark-

--
BTW, the SR program I used was "Vista Speech",
more properly known as WSR which is short for

It comes free with every copy of Vista or the new
"System 7"  OS due out shortly.

Only reason I used Vista Speech is because I know
less about it than my other two SR apps,
Dragon and MacSpeech.

My hardware is a two year old MacBook Pro with
4 GB of ram, running an 80 GB Vista partition.

My experience is that the Mac program named
"MacSpeech Dictate 1.5.2"   will do every bit as good
a job as Vista Speech does, even though MacSpeech
is somewhat buggy at the present time.

Of course the $1,600 Windows app named
"Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10.0"  medical version will
do a better and quicker job, which accounts for its
high price and widespread usage in the medical
communities world-wide.
0
none-of (517)
9/12/2009 5:23:31 PM
TaliesinSoft wrote:
> A problem with speech recognition is that two words, words that sound alike,
> can have different meanings depending on the context in which they are used.
> A classic example is the two words "raise" and "raze'" which canhave opposite
> meanings, "raise" meaning to erect and "raze" meaning to destruct. The
> challenge to speech recognition software is to recognize these differences, a
> challenge that means for the program to understand the full context in which
> a word is used.

It doesn't have to "understand" the full context.  Bayesian analysis,
like that used by some spam filters, can guess which word to use by
which other words are in the immediate vicinity.

Whether any ASR packages do that, I don't know.  There was verbage
in the ViaVoice documentation that suggested it might do so.

Google is allegedly working on translation software
that does something similar.

--
Wes Groleau

   The fight: learning and monitoring vs. acquisition and spontaneity
   http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=50
0
news31 (6772)
9/12/2009 7:32:57 PM
In article <JHSqm.2243$tl3.1001@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, Wes Groleau
<groleau+news@freeshell.org> wrote to "TaliesinSoft":

> It doesn't have to "understand" the full context.  Bayesian analysis,
> like that used by some spam filters, can guess which word to use by
> which other words are in the immediate vicinity.

Yes, Bayesian treatments and Hidden Markov models
(HMM) are similar, but not identical.

<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=4063357>

Just enter your IEEE membership# and the website
will allow you to purchase the full document
as to the differences.

Speech apps have used HMM ever since the technique
was invented by Lenny Baum of Princeton University
in the early 1970's.

One of the drawbacks of using HMM is that it only
considers a few words immediately adjacent to the
word it is trying to figure out.

For example, if I had a topic sentence:

"We will raze the remains of the 9/11 disaster"

Then the next sentence, I say:

"After we raise two new buildings,
   it will be a glorious day in New York City"

Then you can count on the speech program making
the text mistake:  "After we raze two new buildings"

What!

Why would anyone raze two brand new buildings.<g>

I just now tried the above example using
a  $1,600 speech app, Dragon medical,
and it made the text error as predicted.

There is no way to train present-day programs to
recognize words in context, unless the words are
very close to each other, and adjacent words have
some easily recognizable pattern.

Bottom line, homonyms will always be a problem,
at least for the next ten years.

I go through terrible gyrations to minimize the
problems of homonyms, and "near" homonyms.

I was trying to track down info on a new particle,
a "twiston", starting from this website.

<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1988twis.rept.....B>

No luck.

The word "twiston" keeps getting confused
with the two words  "twist on".

I had to resort to creating a text macro in order
to properly print the word "twiston".

Mark-
0
none-of (517)

Mac to mac

Mac Speech Recognition 101, a year 2010 report
Mac SR 101 - - - the good, the bad, the ugly 2/1/2010 The Ugly ******** The Speech Recognition (SR) apps "available" to us Mac users have fallen to only two, as far as I am concerned. Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) , is no longer a serious contender. WSR, sometimes referred to as Vista Speech, or Windows-7 Speech, is thrown in free as part of the Windows OS. I finally got a chance to wring out WSR, and it is worth every penny that the Windows users pay for it. (zero pennies) That leaves two surviving SR apps, MacSpeech and Dragon. The Bad ******* Just can not blow smoke up your skirts people, I have to be brutally truthful. SR is *HARD* to learn, despite all the hype to the contrary. Certainly if one invests minimum time, one will get minimum results. I can do a fresh install of MacSpeech, have it up and running in ten minutes, on the surface it performs well, but soon it becomes apparent that a lot more time, money, effort, has to be invested in order to reap substantial results. SR is a borderline technology as far as personal computer users are concerned. Almost all of us can live our lives quite well, thank you, without ever using a SR app. The enterprise is another matter altogether. If a surgeon goes to the can, she has to fill out 20 formal reports to medicare, detailing how many sheets of toilet paper she used, whether that toilet paper was the non-skid variety, how many flushes she needed to get the crap down the to...

Mac-like app like Swishmax?
I was told today about Swishmax, a PC app that can create flash anims easier than using Flash. Is there any open source OSX apps like this? Or even shareware / freeware / other ? I have Flash but want a faster alternative cheers Matt ...

PC Speech Recognition App's on a Mac, Pros and Cons
Here is the unvarnished truth of what us Mac users can expect from PC Speech Recognition app's now that we can run Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate directly on our Macs, thanks to Parallels and BootCamp. The raw uncorrected text is below, which was spoken in at 100wpm. (138 words which took 83 seconds for me to dictate) Start of raw uncorrected text - ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Semantic technologies are based on models that explicitly encode the meaning of information to avoid ambiguity and support automated reasoning. These models are usually cal...

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Just happened. Kind of weird. -- Arf! Old CSMAer Nice! At work I'm stuck on Windows, plus at home my roommate and girlfrield both use Windows. Good thing is I have my ibook at work and both my roommate and gf are getting Macs after their Dell's are paid off. They use Mac's at work and see how my PowerMac at home works while their PeeCee's hose daily. They hate Windows now :) So i'm getting there :) Alex "OldCSMAer" <olddog@kennelsINVALID.com> wrote in message news:olddog-F4AC87.15141003082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com... >I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free > world: > > My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and > urologist are all Mac. No PCs. > > Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac > (no surprise there). > > My dau...

Looking for used MAC system to learn MACs
Hello, I am looking for recommendations for a used MAC system that I can use to learn MACs. I have used Unix and Linux for the past 20 years, but I'd like to understand a little more about how they work. I have been looking at some used G4 and G5 systems, but not sure if these will be lame ducks. I would like to kick around at the prompt level to see how different it is from a normal Unix system , but I'd like to learn some of the apps and gui stuff too so I don't look like an idiot to friends. Any recommendations or help is welcomed. Thanks. Snoopy. In article <de47faa0-31c3-4c8f-b428-58cac4c0b3d6@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, <"snoopy_@excite.com"> wrote: > Hello, > I am looking for recommendations for a used MAC system that I can > use to learn MACs. I have used Unix and Linux for the past 20 years, > but I'd like to understand a little more about how they work. I have > been looking at some used G4 and G5 systems, but not sure if these > will be lame ducks. I would like to kick around at the prompt level > to see how different it is from a normal Unix system , but I'd like to > learn some of the apps and gui stuff too so I don't look like an idiot > to friends. Any recommendations or help is welcomed. Thanks. i'd suggest a refurbished intel based mac mini to get your feet wet. apple has them from time to time for as little as $400ish. despite nearly all software being univer...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail loa210@mail.gr , loa210@mailbox.gr , -------------------------------------------------------- 08/22/2007 Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10 X86 08/14/2007 Adobe CS3 Master Collection MAC OSX UB D1 .DVD 08/09/2007 Digidesign Pro Tools V7.3 LE MAC OSX 05/11/2007 Altiverb 5.1 .MAC. .PPC. OSX 04/26/2007 VTC Macromedia D...

Limitations of Mac speech recognition?
Until Apple gets around to including a state-of-the-art "system" speech recognition app' with their OS, like Microsoft presently does, we Mac users are on our own, to fill that gap. Mac users in general do not believe that serious speech apps have much use in personal computing. According to a common definition of "personal computing" - > > �A small inexpensive computer used in word processing, > playing computer games, etc. � > > English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus�� > Heh, they have not priced personal computer...

Future of Speech Recognition on our Macs
Projected long-term future of speech recognition on our Macs, as of november 29, 2009. Beware, this overly wordy website article is only for the eyes of Mac users with imagination and foresight, all others please refrain from reading right this instant. <http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0267.html?printable=1> The author addresses: 1) WHY it is so frustratingly difficult to build a speech recognition system which meets peoples expectations. 2) WHEN we can expect to construct an truly intelligent computer, vis-a-vis "HAL's Legacy, 2001" Although this long wordy article was written 13 years ago, the author is still right on track with his predictions. For example: "Based on Moore's law, and the continued efforts of over a thousand researchers in speech recognition and related areas, I expect to see commercial-grade continuous-speech dictation systems for restricted domains, such as medicine or law, to appear in 1997 or 1998. And, soon after, we will be talking to our computers in continuous speech and natural language to control personal-computer applications. By around the turn of the century, unrestricted-domain, continuous-speech dictation will be the standard." All that is true, such apps did appear in 1998, and continuous-speech dictation is now the norm, starting about year 2000. Now for his really amazing prediction: ********************************** "The important point here is, how...

Sort of a Mac app, really, it's for a Mac
I have a copy of Vista to install on my new MacBook Pro Duo, but I hesitate to do it, because my neighbors' wifis are always on (very convenient as a back-up to my DSL) and I fear the Windows partition being invaded by malware. Is there an anti-malware program I can download and install simultaneously with Vista? Exactly how do I do that or do the next best alternative to simultaneous installation? Am I being panicky? I haven't used any kind of a Windows program since SoftWindows 95, which was pure macware. --- ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++ ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvimideQ@Wearthlink.net> || ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., <arvimideQ@Wearthlink.net> || ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ || || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso || ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++ NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse or protection. "arvimide@earthlink.net" <arvimide@earthlink.net> wrote: > I have a copy of Vista to install on my new MacBook Pro Duo, but I > hesitate to do it, because my neighbors' wifis are always on (very > convenient as a back-up to my DSL) and I fear the Window...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc Jon <see_signature@mac.com.invalid> wrote: > 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx > > Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on > one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And > you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. Correction: tcp/ipp of course needs to be enabled on the ethernet port on _both_ machines. File sharing, however, is only necessary on one (preferably the Mac OS X machine). -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc In article <1hxqr6q.1u7ne805d0g7N%see_signature@mac.com.invalid>, see_signature@mac.com.invalid (Jon) wrote: > ...

com.sys.mac.apps
www.freeservice6.blogspot.com ...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The > difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have > two closely coupled and redundant PHY . > > Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, > bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some > PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? I suppose it works. Cross connect RXD[] to TXD[]. Cross connect RX_DV to TX_EN, and provide a 125 MHz clock (could be supplied from another FPGA pin) On Feb 12, 9:01=A0pm, Steve <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. =A0The > difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have > two closely coupled and redundant PHY...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at least one of the machines on the LAN for file transfers, contact/calendar sync (through Now server software), and if possible, remote access. Note that, at times, BOTH sides of this connection will have dynamic IP addresses, so there's got to be a way to "find" the office LAN remotely, and the security protocols of the VPN setup cannot limit the incoming IP to a specific address. Also note that I don't need to connect both ways, just to initiate from the PowerBook. I'm not opposed to buying a VPN router, or any other hardware, if it makes the system more stable/reliable/simple. Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide. Steve On 2005-06-05, Steve C <newsgroups@primedigital.com> wrote: > Note that, at times, BOTH sides of this connection will have dynamic IP > addresses, so there's got to be a way to "find&quo...

Present Status of Speech Recognition on the Mac
Present Status of Speech Recognition on the Mac --------------------------------------------- In limbo. Nuance bought the tiny company MacSpeech with its ten programmers, on Feb 16, 2010, four months ago. MacSpeech was the only hope for Mac users, when it comes to speech recognition applications. (SR for short) Meanwhile, Nuance is making Great Gooey Gobs of filthy money, selling SR app's for Windows. Nuance just jacked up the cost of their $1,600 "Dragon NaturallySpeaking" medical edition v 10.1 starting midnight on June 31st, six days from now. N...

Mac OS X Speech Recognition
I have a family member who is partially disabled. I was thinking it would be quite handy for a disabled person to be able to use spoken voice to ask a Mac with microphone attached to look up a word in the dictionary, thesaurus, or encyclopedia, or maybe verify if a word is spelled a certain way - and who knows what else. Is anyone aware of a way to use the speech recognition built into Mac OS X to do: * dictionary lookups of spoken words * thesaurus lookups of spoken words * encyclopedia lookups of spoken words * spelling of spoken words (or anything of that nature?) I don't ...

Speech Recognition for Mac Unix geeks
Mac Unix geeks, is this a great idea, or what! Why won't it work, mayhaps there is a reason that I have not considered. You have 20 years of *nix larning behind you, you have several doctors degrees in various fields, engineering, aerospace, chemistry, math', botany, in your spare time you dabble in recreational brain surgery, which dovetails great with your movie career where you are up for an oscar for your doctor movies. You life is almost complete, but you feel an empty spot because you never did the speech recognition trick - - - several things conspired to create that g...

Wondershare Video Converter for Mac is available on Mac App Store #2

Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate for Mac Is Available On Mac App Store
Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate for Mac is the all-in-one solution to combine the features of the Mac video and DVD converter tools, and DVD burner. It is available for you to convert audio and video files from a variety of formats to playback on iOS devices, PSP, Blackberry, Android phones, tablets and other mobile devices etc. Moreover, it enables you to easily rip and burn DVDs. Top features of Video Converter Ultimate: 1. Convert video files such as AVI, MP4, MOV, M4V, MKV, FLV and etc. to the proper formats (with pre-sets) for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PSP, Blackberry, and...

Full review of Windows Speech Recognition on a Mac
Thursday, November 6, 2008 As I promised in a prior thread... Full review of Windows Speech Recognition running on a modern Intel based MacBook Pro (one year old) with 4 GB of ram, Vista Ultimate being the OS. Let's call Windows Speech Recognition "WSR" for short. Bad stuff first, apparently WSR has a "fixed" vocabulary, what Microsoft calls a "dictionary". In other words, the user can NOT add words, he has to settle for whatever is in the default vocabulary. In other words, no amount of training will get WSR to "recognize" a *NEW* wo...

Web resources about - What will Mac speech recognition apps be like in 20 years - comp.sys.mac.system

Automatic number plate recognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Automatic number plate recognition ( ANPR ; see also other names below) is a mass surveillance method that uses optical character recognition ...

Partners in life, neighbours in death, Sir Redmond Barry's mistress gets recognition beyond the grave ...
Louisa Barrow had four children with the Supreme Court judge and her body lay next to his for almost 130 years with, until now, nothing to indicate ...

Italy wants UNESCO recognition for pizza
Italy has put forward the Neapolitan pizza as a candidate for inclusion in UNESCO'S cultural heritage list.

Recognition for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
Recognise is a team travelling around the Torres Strait Islands, promoting the campaign to gain recognition for Aboriginal and Torres Strait ...

Constitutional recognition: Indigenous referendum report likely to be delayed beyond July double dissolution ...
Crucial advice on the way to achieve Indigenous recognition in the constitution is likely to be delayed beyond the potential July double dissolution ...

Google has created offline voice recognition that is 7x faster than an online system
Google has created an offline speech recognition system that is faster and more accurate than a comparable system connected to the Internet. ...

Facebook adds video support to photo-sharing app Moments, but w/o face-recognition
Facebook’s Moments app , launched last summer, makes it easier to share photos with your friends by using both location data and face-recognition ...

Google trials optical character recognition for Now on Tap
... of its Google Now on Tap feature. A number of users have begun noting that the software is now capable of performing optical character recognition ...

Google to take on Nuance with speech recognition API
If you want to build a product with speech recognition capabilities, Nuance has been the default choice for some time. The company's technology ...

NTIA near producing draft of facial recognition code of conduct
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) will convene a meeting of organizations involved in the privacy multi-stakeholder ...