Windows problem with yahoo mail???

I would have posted on comp.sys.mac.comm, but there's not much traffic
over there, and this might be an OS-related problem. I'm on a Mac, and
tonight I emailed a link to a (Windows) friend who uses yahoo mail. She
emailed back, "There was no link in your email." I resent it and she
then could see it, but said it does nothing when she clicks on it. (I
then told her to just copy and paste it into her browser.) This happens
often enough with several people that it's downright perplexing. So I
decided to set up a yahoo mail account of my own so I could see what
these yahoo people are seeing. I sent the same email to myself, and I
could see the URL just fine; clicking on it took me to the web page. I
thought, Hmmm... maybe it's a Windows/Internet Explorer issue, so I
checked my yahoo mail on my daughter's PC and it worked fine there too
(in both IE and Netscape). Can anyone shed light on this?
0
nosredna (233)

> I'm on a Mac, and
>tonight I emailed a link to a (Windows) friend who uses yahoo mail. She
>emailed back, "There was no link in your email." I resent it and she
>then could see it, but said it does nothing when she clicks on it. (I
>then told her to just copy and paste it into her browser.)

Yes, that is correct.

>This happens
>often enough with several people that it's downright perplexing.

Nothing perplexing about it. it is up to the *email program on the receiving
end,* NOT the email program on the sending end, to make hyperlinks clickable.
Some email programs do, some don't.

I've heard that Yahoo deliberately strips out clickable links, supposedly to
make spamming and phishing more difficult. Whether this is true (or
consistent), I don't know--I don't use Yahoo.

In any event, it's no big deal--just copy/paste the link.

http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

0
tacitr (1750)
10/22/2004 2:07:54 PM
In article <20041022100754.13228.00002231@mb-m12.aol.com>,
 tacitr@aol.com (Tacit) wrote:

> > I'm on a Mac, and
> >tonight I emailed a link to a (Windows) friend who uses yahoo mail. She
> >emailed back, "There was no link in your email." I resent it and she
> >then could see it, but said it does nothing when she clicks on it. (I
> >then told her to just copy and paste it into her browser.)
>
> Yes, that is correct.
>
> >This happens
> >often enough with several people that it's downright perplexing.
>
> Nothing perplexing about it. it is up to the *email program on the receiving
> end,* NOT the email program on the sending end, to make hyperlinks clickable.
> Some email programs do, some don't.
>
> I've heard that Yahoo deliberately strips out clickable links, supposedly to
> make spamming and phishing more difficult. Whether this is true (or
> consistent), I don't know--I don't use Yahoo.
>
> In any event, it's no big deal--just copy/paste the link.

I advised two yahoo friends to use a standalone email program rather
than a web-based one.
0
nosredna (233)