Yellow Dog Linux (YDL) 3.0.1. vs. dual G4 Mac

Just a quick note from a Macintosh user who tried to install a CD-set of
Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1. on a dual G4 (machine ID 1206). Nor BootX 1.2.2.
nor Yaboot works, so installation is dead in the water for the lack of a
booter.

Though more polished than the SuSe I tried 4 years ago, this Linux release
still needs more spinach until it's ready for the spotlight. I'll be back
in 4 years again to check the next one.
0
george529 (22)

George wrote:
> Just a quick note from a Macintosh user who tried to install a CD-set of
> Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1. on a dual G4 (machine ID 1206). Nor BootX 1.2.2.
> nor Yaboot works, so installation is dead in the water for the lack of a
> booter.
>
> Though more polished than the SuSe I tried 4 years ago, this Linux release
> still needs more spinach until it's ready for the spotlight. I'll be back
> in 4 years again to check the next one.
Why four years???
Did you check out the FAQs?

You are not working with the grassroots system of willing volunteers who
want to help you, if you will only ask them!

Check out the many websites for Yellowdog... (search on
http://google.org/linux )
There are also other Linux distros for the MAC!

try this one??? http://www.maconlinux.org/

0
pberry26 (7)
5/30/2004 7:53:35 PM
George wrote: > Just a quick note from a Macintosh user who tried to
install a CD-set of > Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1. on a dual G4 (machine ID
1206). Nor BootX 1.2.2. > nor Yaboot works, so installation is dead in
the water for the lack of a > booter.  >  > Though more polished than
the SuSe I tried 4 years ago, this Linux release > still needs more
spinach until it's ready for the spotlight. I'll be back > in 4 years
again to check the next one.

How, exactly, is yaboot failing?  Are you trying to dual boot?  Did you
set up the OS X partitions first?  Does the Apple_Bootstrap come before
any of the apple ones?  BootX will _not_ work on a NewWorld
machine--BootX was written for Old World machines.  So yaboot is your
only option.  Check the documentation on
http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/ (and report back, I might be
able to give you some hints)

In any case, I don't think Linux will ever be "ready for the spotlight"
in the sense I think you mean.  Part of its design philosphy is to
maximize customizability and hardware compatibility.  These goals
inherently make things like the installation and setup processes more
difficult than, say, OS X.

'cid 'ooh

0
poohonlsd (164)