You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.

Hi Group,

Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book.  _ Boy was this a
mistake_

I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of
one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended
Journaled for both paritions.

Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I
get the message

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume.  Mac OS X cannot start up
from this volume."

There is a red explaination mark on the drive.

I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk
util program and I still have the same problem.

Any ideas what is wrong or is it a trip to the Mac hospital for my new
MacBook?

Thanks

Stuart.

In article <1175777009.038508.286070@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
 stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book.  _ Boy was this a
> mistake_
>
> I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of
> one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended
> Journaled for both paritions.
>
> Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I
> get the message
>
> "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume.  Mac OS X cannot start up
> from this volume."
>
> There is a red explaination mark on the drive.
>
> I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk
> util program and I still have the same problem.
>
> Any ideas what is wrong or is it a trip to the Mac hospital for my new
> MacBook?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stuart.

It might be worth looking at the following Apple article:

This article seems to only apply to external disks but it still is worth
a look.
0
nospam288 (36)
4/5/2007 1:11:49 PM
On 2007-04-05 15:43:29 +0300, stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au said:

> I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of
> one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended
> Journaled for both paritions.
>
> Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I
> get the message
>
> "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume.  Mac OS X cannot start up
> from this volume."

Since this is an Intel-mac, check that you have selected GUID as the
partition map. To do this,
open Disk Utility from the DVD, select the drive > Partition >
Options... > GUID Partition Table and then run the partitioning.

--
-filipp
http://unflyingobject.com

0
no-one1024 (33)
4/5/2007 1:15:34 PM
On 2007-04-05 07:43:29 -0500, stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au said:

> Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book.

Why?

--
JR

0
jollyroger2 (3048)
4/5/2007 8:16:05 PM
On 2007-04-05 15:16:05 -0500, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@null.org> said:

> On 2007-04-05 07:43:29 -0500, stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au said:
>
>> Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book.
>
> Why?

Also, it's "MacBook" - and Mac is not an acronym, so you shouldn't
spell it with all capital letters.

--
JR

0
jollyroger2 (3048)
4/5/2007 8:43:56 PM
In article <1175777009.038508.286070@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
 stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au wrote:

> I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of
> one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended
> Journaled for both paritions.

Why two partitions?

> Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I
> get the message
>
> "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume.  Mac OS X cannot start up
> from this volume."

When you partitioned, you told Disk Utility to use an old-style
partition table, not the new-style GUID partition table. If you
partition a startup disk on an Intel Mac, you MUST partition it using
the GUID partition table.

--
Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html